error message and missing internet option in control panel

: i am helping clean up a gateway desktop with windows 98
:
: i get an error message when loading
:
: "error loading c:\windows\bxxs5\dll"
:
:i also notice there is no "internet options" icon in the control panel.
:
:i reloaded windows 98 twice but continue to have same problems.
:
: ANY HELP APPRECIATED AS I AM LIMITED IN KNOWLEDGE.
: --
: Roger
2 answers Last reply
More about error message missing internet option control panel

    To expand slightly on Ingeborg's reply:

    You have adware/spyware onboard.
    Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

    Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

    Install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates'
    link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what
    it finds.
    Ad-Aware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
    the items in RED only.
    SpyBot S&D:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

    Install SpywareBlaster:
    Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
    all protection'.
    Update at least weekly.

    If problems persist, download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these
    locations:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
    Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
    HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
    similar).
    Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

    Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

    In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
    it.

    The folks there will tell you what to remove.

    See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
    http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

    A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Rogerinthecity" <Rogerinthecity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > : i am helping clean up a gateway desktop with windows 98
    > :
    > : i get an error message when loading
    > :
    > : "error loading c:\windows\bxxs5\dll"
    > :
    > :i also notice there is no "internet options" icon in the control panel.
    > :
    > :i reloaded windows 98 twice but continue to have same problems.
    > :
    > : ANY HELP APPRECIATED AS I AM LIMITED IN KNOWLEDGE.
    > : --
    > : Roger

    "=?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJpbnRoZWNpdHk=?="
    <Rogerinthecity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:4A3295B4-5D6B-
    43FF-81D0-C83E6C631118@microsoft.com:

    >: i am helping clean up a gateway desktop with windows 98
    >:
    >: i get an error message when loading
    >:
    >: "error loading c:\windows\bxxs5\dll"
    >:
    >:i also notice there is no "internet options" icon in the control panel.
    >:
    >:i reloaded windows 98 twice but continue to have same problems.
    >:
    >: ANY HELP APPRECIATED AS I AM LIMITED IN KNOWLEDGE.
    >: --
    >: Roger

    bxxs5.dll is adware.
    <http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/bxxs5.dll.php>

    Download spybot S&D <www.spybot.info> and AdAware
    <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware> and do a scan with both, and
    let them repair what they find. Maybe it will solve your problems.

Control Panel Error Message Internet Windows