Weird crossfire problem!

cjohansson

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Hi my name is Christian and i'm new to this forum, however i suggested to sign up and try my luck in you guys here.

I recently bought a new killer? rig that was made to play the latest games and watch the eye candy aswell :wink:

BUT... I have a weird problem that came across when all was done.

After my installation of all hardware (Checked that all software/drivers was the latest as allways) i got really low scores/fps in both games as in benchmarks. Note that this claims is based upon researhes across several reviews on the net.

In 3DMark06 i get 7300(+-100) Marks and that's pretty bad according to others 8000+ with same system setup.

In games i've tried to run both crossed and non crossed to see the diff.
And i allmost gets better FPS non crossed then crossed. In many cases it just raises about a few FPS when i crossed mode. Besides that my system feels slow in games, and not that fast as it should be?!

If i can remember correct, the first time i setup my system rig and installed everything for the first time i got 7741 marks in '06 (It was with CL 6.3) and now i get about 4-500 marks less.

I've tried all i can to solve the prob without any further success so i'm trying to get an resonable answer in here.

My system spec is as followed:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ s939
Memory: 2x1GB Samsung PC400 DDR
Mainboard: ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe
Display1: PowerColor X1900XTX
Dispaly2: PowerColor X1900CFE

Well i think that's the important stuffs.

Best regards,

Christian, Sweden...

PS! My english grammar and spelling isn't that well so please bare with me :oops:

noisy

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
What bios version are you running? Version 0311 was released about a month ago and this was suppose to fix some of the issues you've described. Version 0404 has just been released so you should flash your MB and see if things improve.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
if anything holds you back in games is everything but those two x1900

i`m not saying that x2 3800+ is not enough but ... most of the games today work with only one cpu.....practically downgrading you cpu to just one............

i`m saying this just for comparision............those two x1900 will run much better on fx60.......or conroe (soon)...with half that memory.....
think it over

there were many reports.....people upgrading from x1800 or whatever to x1900xtx ..and their gaming experience was the same if not worse......
of-course it must be the rest of your sistem.........

Darthb0b0

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Also try running 3dmark in a loop of 5 or more times. it will then give you averages of the scores vs. just one to give you a more accurate read. I have an FX-57 cpu running a 3ghz, and my 3dmark06 is only around 6900 in crossfire mode since i run a single core cpu.

firepyro555

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Are you running one monitor? If you're running more than one, then Crossfire is disabled, as far as I know.

Crossfire is only enabled in the CCC, it doesn't matter about the monitors, u still have to enable it before you us any "3D Applications"

Don't run 3dm06, its a waste, can't compare anything with anyone cause it really pushes the limits, run 3dm03 and see waht u get.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
3dmark won`t take advantage from crossfire....you can either run an older mark like our friend suggested....2001 or 2003 or simply run a crossfire compatible game.....use fraps....
and compare with the single vga set...
good luck

firepyro555

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
One nice thing, i use 3dm03, at first, i had a 6800GT, and in someplaces either with lots of rendering, or lines (ex. zoom in on her hair and face) the 6800GT would drop down to around 30 or as low as 10, with the Setup i have now, all those places never dropped under 60, the extra GPU is good to handle overflow