george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I made the horrible mistake of downloading SP2. Since then I have spent the
last 7 days talking to and trying to understand the tech idiots that are in
INDIA.
After 75 DOCUMENTTED calls I gave up with these idiots.

Now I want to do a REPAIR of XP cause I am getting "error" codes of all types.

HOW do I repair an installation of Wondows XP.

THank you

George

I would definitely follow Don's advice first Also before you d/l SP2 you
should read the article by MS about what you should do before you d/l the
fix. It sounds like you have a HP so there actually a lot of stuff you need
to d/l first before the fix. You need to go to the manufacturers website and
look for any updates regarding SP2 and that goes for any other software you
bought that's not OEM. Hope this helps!!

"George" wrote:

> I made the horrible mistake of downloading SP2. Since then I have spent the
> last 7 days talking to and trying to understand the tech idiots that are in
> INDIA.
> After 75 DOCUMENTTED calls I gave up with these idiots.
>
> Now I want to do a REPAIR of XP cause I am getting "error" codes of all types.
>
> HOW do I repair an installation of Wondows XP.
>
> THank you
>

> George

Hi George,

Follow these steps to do a repair install which should preserve your data,
settings, and programs:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
drive.
2. Restart your computer. If you have to, change the BIOS settings to start
from
the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer again.
3. At the "Welcome to Setup" page, press ENTER.
4. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
5. Use the arrow keys to select the installation of Windows XP that you want
repair, and then press R to start the automatic repair process.
6. When Setup is completed, activate Windows XP.

Note that you will need your Product Key for this procedure, so have it
handy before you begin.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made the horrible mistake of downloading SP2. Since then I have spent
>the
> last 7 days talking to and trying to understand the tech idiots that are
> in
> INDIA.
> After 75 DOCUMENTTED calls I gave up with these idiots.
>
> Now I want to do a REPAIR of XP cause I am getting "error" codes of all
> types.
>
> HOW do I repair an installation of Wondows XP.
>
> THank you
>

> George

If you can get WinXP to start in safe mode, try and use Add/Remove Programs
to uninstall SP2.

If that doesn't work, boot from the XP CD and after the setup screen starts,
you will have the opportunity to repair.

Ken

"George" wrote:

> I made the horrible mistake of downloading SP2. Since then I have spent the
> last 7 days talking to and trying to understand the tech idiots that are in
> INDIA.
> After 75 DOCUMENTTED calls I gave up with these idiots.
>
> Now I want to do a REPAIR of XP cause I am getting "error" codes of all types.
>
> HOW do I repair an installation of Wondows XP.
>
> THank you
>

> George

Hi George

Depending on what kind of XP CD you have, the following article by Michael
Stevens will help you:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made the horrible mistake of downloading SP2. Since then I have spent
>the
> last 7 days talking to and trying to understand the tech idiots that are
> in
> INDIA.
> After 75 DOCUMENTTED calls I gave up with these idiots.
>
> Now I want to do a REPAIR of XP cause I am getting "error" codes of all
> types.
>
> HOW do I repair an installation of Wondows XP.
>
> THank you
>

> George

Also , before you do that, you might try removing SP2 through the add/remove
programs list.

These forums are wonderful for support. I'll take these peer to peer forums
over MS tech help any day, on most issues, most likely someone else has
experienced it and can offer help. I haven't called MS for help in years.

--
Don Burnette