overheating pentium 4 640 prescott

sp0ngebong

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Im running a p4 640 prescott on a p5ld2 deluxe asus motherboard. I built this computer around christmas time (first real build) and when i looked at its temp then it was idling at 60c and playing games at around 80. Its been like this until now, when i got fed up with those temps. i checked the thermal paste stuff to make sure it was put on correctly, and when i put it back on it started idling at 90-100. i replaced the thermal paste and now it is idling at 70-80. Is this just the classic "intel gives you shitty cooling" story or is something else wrong?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My 6xx runs hot, but not that hot... and on the stock fan too. I have mine OC to 3.4 GHz. and it idles at about 50 and goes to 63 under load.

I'd guess you have a mounting problem... some dry spots where the paste isn't filling in the gaps perhaps?

sp0ngebong

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
is asus probe known to give faulty readouts? there is something definitely wrong cuz it says im usin 50% of my cpu when all i have up is this firefox... i checked for virus and spyware and found none. basically i have no load and its 50% cpu usage running at 85c

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr... Probe is just software. I can run it, and I get the same temps as MM5 or SpeedFan.

And as a matter of fact, I can't run SpeedFan and Probe at the same time continuously, the both start having problems from the polling.

All MB manufactors don't have the same process of determining temps, so all temps are inaccurate, but can give an idea where your temps are. So in other words, you can put the same processor with the same HSF and get different temps on different MB with the same vcore setting, and the sensor is in the chip/die.

I just wonder if you guys are seating the CPU properly with the HSF and thermal compound.

sp0ngebong

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I just wonder if you guys are seating the CPU properly with the HSF and thermal compound.

yeah i wonder too.. but i got it on there as good as i could get it. i dont like how the hsf has a circle on the bottom of it to connect to the square processor (i have no idea if thats a good thing or not).

Did you add/replace any components in your case that give off a lot of heat? A.KA. GPU?

If you're not inclined to buy a new HSF, then re-seat the stock HSF. Use Artic Silver 5 (AS5), but clean off the current thermal compound on the CPU and HSF with rubbing alcohol and a bar cloth or something that doesn't shed.

Apply a small amount of AS5, like the size of 2 grains of rice no more. Spread it evenly with a credit card or cardboard. Allow up to 200 hours of CPU usage for the compound to fully cure.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I had an overheating P4 540 Prescott. It has processed its last thread; an AMD will be put in its place. My dear P4 has gone to that great motherboard in the sky.

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Has your computer ever shut down or gotten really slow recently? I would think the idleing would have taken effect with some of those temps. I've build a handful of similar set-ups recently and I've found that the Intel HS/F idles around 45-50C and can got up to 60+ pretty easily. It seems the temps vary a bit with MB makers but Asus usually gives slightly lower. I can only think that you've either got a badly seating HS/F or real bad airflow. I normally use aftermarket HS/F with new builds. Intels stock HS/F is crap and the pins don't lock very well sometimes. You can find good solutions on newegg that are much quieter. What thermal paste are you using? You mention checking the paste and then reseating it.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
is asus probe known to give faulty readouts? there is something definitely wrong cuz it says im usin 50% of my cpu when all i have up is this firefox... i checked for virus and spyware and found none. basically i have no load and its 50% cpu usage running at 85c

That ain't right... 50% load? It doesn't explain the overheating but sounds like you've got some software problems as well...

When you go to task manager, what does it say is using the CPU so much?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
hehe mine cold boots at 67*C i got a 2.0Ghz P4 Northwood :)

You must have mis-typed that right? Northwoods don't run that hot!

ur a funny guy, i made no typo ~159*F/70*C, i can take a pic of it if u want

it hit 188*F too

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

That ain't right... 50% load? It doesn't explain the overheating but sounds like you've got some software problems as well...

When you go to task manager, what does it say is using the CPU so much?

pentz0r

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Im running a p4 640 prescott on a p5ld2 deluxe asus motherboard. I built this computer around christmas time (first real build) and when i looked at its temp then it was idling at 60c and playing games at around 80. Its been like this until now, when i got fed up with those temps. i checked the thermal paste stuff to make sure it was put on correctly, and when i put it back on it started idling at 90-100. i replaced the thermal paste and now it is idling at 70-80. Is this just the classic "intel gives you shitty cooling" story or is something else wrong?

man
I have the same processor that you have.. a P4 640 Prescott
I'm running it at 3850Mhz clock on an Asus P5GDC Deluxe mb
and with that OC he indles at 36ºC.. with full load he goes to 65ºC Maximum

I use Hardware Sensors Monitor and ASUS PC Probe to monitor temperatures

You got something wrong on your system... It just can't be running at that temps

Edit: I almost forgot to say... I'm using Stock Cooler
[]'s

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, I believe ya... that just really sux for a Northwood. I have a Northwood 3.4 and it never gets above 43 C under 100% load with a stock Intel cooler. You must be doin' somthin' special!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Acutally I wouldn't mind seeing pics on the HSF and bios screen from Pengwin.

I've never let my CPU (northy) run hot to the point to where it should be back throttling, so I don't if even that feature is working. :lol:

Though at 188F it should be doing some back throttling, unless it is higher then that.

I might later on, just take the heat spreader off my northy, just to see if I do (I would think I would) get better temps off my old northy.

So far my 2.66@2.960 P4 is idle at 45C, though my room is 80F.

Folding it was hitting 55C again, but drops to 49-50C when my room temps are back to 70C.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
80c! 8O Okay if the sensors are giving you inaccurate readings then just try touching the heatsink itself. At 80c it should be hot enough to cause you pain. So if it is then it is hot and you should start investing on a better hsf and a good temp monitor.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Northwood was a great chip. I often wonder how it would have been if Intel just shrunk the process to the 90 and now 65 nm process with the Northwood architecture - maybe added a bit more cache. Would have still been hot, but prolly would perform better than Prescott...

sp0ngebong

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
wow thanks for all the support guys. im buying a arctic cooling freezer 7 pro cpu cooler from newegg. im using radio shack brand thermal paste right now, so i ordered arctic silver from newegg as well. thanks again!