firefox

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 7, 2005 11:30:06 PM

I have a smooth running, fast, reliable W98SE, P11 300 MHz machine. I use
it for email and fairly extensive browsing, digital snapshot editing, etc.
I am a general believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.
However, I have read a lot about Firefox and an intrigued. I'm currently
running IE6 SP1 with all the updates/patches/fixes installed. I keep my
machine free of virii/spyware/malware with the standard array of protective
stuff.

My question is:

Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation. Can I
operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep them
completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox take over
my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to run any browser
besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with trying to have WMP and
Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad experience with Real Player
usurping WMP associations.

I would really like to try Firefox but don't want to screw up a reliable
machine.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

More about : firefox

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:43:25 AM

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in

> I have a smooth running, fast, reliable W98SE, P11 300 MHz machine. I
> use it for email and fairly extensive browsing, digital snapshot
> editing, etc. I am a general believer in the "If it ain't broke,
> don't fix it" approach. However, I have read a lot about Firefox and
> an intrigued. I'm currently running IE6 SP1 with all the
> updates/patches/fixes installed. I keep my machine free of
> virii/spyware/malware with the standard array of protective stuff.
>
> My question is:
>
> Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation.
> Can I operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep
> them completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox
> take over my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to
> run any browser besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with
> trying to have WMP and Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad
> experience with Real Player usurping WMP associations.
>
> I would really like to try Firefox but don't want to screw up a
> reliable machine.

Like IE, Firefox will pop up the window asking if you want to make it the
default browser. You can click NO and check "Don't ask me again". Then IE
will maintain its associations. Otherwise the browsers are totally
seperate entities and have no effect on each other.
I prefer Firefox myself, so it is set as default. But in the rare cases
where it won't work on something, I have no problem running IE.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
March 8, 2005 1:25:30 AM

Thanks for the inputs. I'm trying to get up my courage to try Firefox.

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> I have a smooth running, fast, reliable W98SE, P11 300 MHz machine. I use
> it for email and fairly extensive browsing, digital snapshot editing, etc.
> I am a general believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
approach.
> However, I have read a lot about Firefox and an intrigued. I'm currently
> running IE6 SP1 with all the updates/patches/fixes installed. I keep my
> machine free of virii/spyware/malware with the standard array of
protective
> stuff.
>
> My question is:
>
> Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation. Can
> operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep them
> completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox take over
> my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to run any browser
> besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with trying to have WMP and
> Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad experience with Real
Player
> usurping WMP associations.
>
> I would really like to try Firefox but don't want to screw up a reliable
> machine.
>
> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Related resources
March 8, 2005 3:48:52 AM

In news:u%23TKde5IFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
bobster <fauxie@bogus.net> had this to say:

> My question is:
>
> Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation.
> Can I operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep
> them completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox
> take over my associations with IE6.

Yes. Yes you can. If you'd like (they have a plug-in but I think it's
bloated) you can even incorporate a new context menu so that you can
right-click in IE and open it in Firefox. If you click on a blank spot
you'll open that page but if you click on a link you will open the link
you'd clicked on. It's pretty simple really. If you're interested in such a
thing I have it zipped somewhere and can upload it. (I was bored at the time
and didn't know about the plug-in so that's it's history.)

To be honest I don't really like Firefox and don't even have it installed on
this computer. I did have it installed at that time however. I found it
bloated and that it didn't nearly hold up to the whole "fast" idea. If you
want fast (and pure unadulterated safety in browsing) try OffByOne if you'd
like. It's not mine but I've used it a number of times and it's installed
here. The newer version seemed a bit buggy so I'm using the old one still.
It's light, has the option to disable everything but text, and doesn't mind
if you use IE at all. In fact it doesn't even ask if you want it to be the
default browser if I recall. Of course you won't have any features unless
you opt to and even then they're quite limited but that's a good thing at
times.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
March 8, 2005 9:53:48 AM

No worries, bobster. Firefox works great for me. If you want to make sure
everythings okay then back-up your current information before installing the
browser but I highly doubt you will have a problem and if you are like me
once you try it then you will feel Internet Explorer is very limited.
Firefox, gives you no Active X concerns, 256 bit encryption or better as
compared to a maximum of 128 bit encryption for IE, tabbed browsing, more
information on properties, etc. I am sure you will enjoy. You can try it
and post back about your experience for the benefit of all. Now I wonder if
IE 7 will add these features and more to the browser and if Microsoft decides
to make it available for 98, 98SE and ME in order to compete with Mozillas

: Thanks for the inputs. I'm trying to get up my courage to try Firefox.
:
:
: "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
: news:u%23TKde5IFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: > I have a smooth running, fast, reliable W98SE, P11 300 MHz machine. I
use
: > it for email and fairly extensive browsing, digital snapshot editing,
etc.
: > I am a general believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
: approach.
: > However, I have read a lot about Firefox and an intrigued. I'm currently
: > running IE6 SP1 with all the updates/patches/fixes installed. I keep my
: > machine free of virii/spyware/malware with the standard array of
: protective
: > stuff.
: >
: > My question is:
: >
[...]
March 8, 2005 10:06:52 AM

No problems here on two machines, bobster. Just don't set it to be the default
browser if you want to continue having IE as default. There are a lot of
"extensions" you can install to add functions and context menu items...just look in
the bookmarks for Firefox that come with the installation to find the download
locations. They are in fact *not* bloated....most are just a few dozen kilobytes to
download.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> I have a smooth running, fast, reliable W98SE, P11 300 MHz machine. I use
> it for email and fairly extensive browsing, digital snapshot editing, etc.
> I am a general believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.
> However, I have read a lot about Firefox and an intrigued. I'm currently
> running IE6 SP1 with all the updates/patches/fixes installed. I keep my
> machine free of virii/spyware/malware with the standard array of protective
> stuff.
>
> My question is:
>
> Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation. Can I
> operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep them
> completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox take over
> my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to run any browser
> besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with trying to have WMP and
> Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad experience with Real Player
> usurping WMP associations.
>
> I would really like to try Firefox but don't want to screw up a reliable
> machine.
>
> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:50:13 PM

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in

> I have a smooth running, fast, reliable W98SE, P11 300 MHz machine. I
> use it for email and fairly extensive browsing, digital snapshot
> editing, etc. I am a general believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't
> fix it" approach. However, I have read a lot about Firefox and an
> intrigued. I'm currently running IE6 SP1 with all the
> updates/patches/fixes installed. I keep my machine free of
> virii/spyware/malware with the standard array of protective stuff.
>
> My question is:
>
> Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation.
> Can I operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep
> them completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox
> take over my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to run
> any browser besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with trying to
> have WMP and Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad experience
> with Real Player usurping WMP associations.
>
> I would really like to try Firefox but don't want to screw up a reliable
> machine.
>
> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

There shouldn't be any problems aside from the two browsers both asking to
be the default. I tried Firefox but much prefer Avant
<www.avantbrowser.com&gt;. It has many of the features of Firefox but uses
the IE rendering engine. It has tabbed browsing, pop-up blocker, ad
blocker, flash blocker, support for RSS feeds and is highly configurable
and just over 1MB in size! Worth a look if you are looking to upgrade your
browser.

Bob
March 8, 2005 2:15:09 PM

I have downloaded Firefox and so far,as several of you have said, it has not
impacted my IE6 capability. I can switch between the two and they seem to
be completely independent. So far, no negatives.

That being said, it is quite different than IE6 and looks like it will take
awhile to get it customized and learn all of its
capabilities/idiosyncrasies. My first reaction is that it is very "busy".
I'm also surprised at how "Googleized" it is. I'm an avid user of Google
but don't know if I like the idea of it having such a dominant role in my
browsing.

Guess I'll play around with Firefox for a few weeks, then decide if I want
to make it my default browser. My initial reaction is that I may want to
keep both of them and use the one that is most appropriate for the
particular task at hand. The nice thing is that either is just one click
away.

Thanks for the suggestions and help from all who responded.

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]
> : > My question is:
> : >
> : > Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation.
Can
> : I
> : > operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep them
> : > completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox take
> over
> : > my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to run any
browser
> : > besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with trying to have WMP
and
> : > Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad experience with Real
> : Player
> : > usurping WMP associations.
> : >
> : > I would really like to try Firefox but don't want to screw up a

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:08:50 PM

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote:

>That being said, it is quite different than IE6 and looks like it will take
>awhile to get it customized and learn all of its
>capabilities/idiosyncrasies. My first reaction is that it is very "busy".
>I'm also surprised at how "Googleized" it is. I'm an avid user of Google
>but don't know if I like the idea of it having such a dominant role in my
>browsing.

I don't know what you mean by that. In the upper right-hand corner is
a quick-search box. That's a dropdown, and allows you quick access to
a number of search engines, including Google. Drop the box down and
select "Add engines..." to find out how to add others. Oh yeah, the
default start page is at Google, but of course you can set the start
page to anything you want.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Thanks, Tim. I'm about 2 hours into Firefox and am on a steep learning
curve. Re -set the start page to my taste and am now setting up what is
called "links" in IE6. Haven't quite figured out all the aspects of tabbed
browsing but I can see the potential. Having lotsa fun and no problems so
far.

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote:
>

> >That being said, it is quite different than IE6 and looks like it will
take
> >awhile to get it customized and learn all of its
> >capabilities/idiosyncrasies. My first reaction is that it is very
"busy".
> >I'm also surprised at how "Googleized" it is. I'm an avid user of Google
> >but don't know if I like the idea of it having such a dominant role in my
> >browsing.
>
> I don't know what you mean by that. In the upper right-hand corner is
> a quick-search box. That's a dropdown, and allows you quick access to
> a number of search engines, including Google. Drop the box down and
> select "Add engines..." to find out how to add others. Oh yeah, the
> default start page is at Google, but of course you can set the start
> page to anything you want.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
March 8, 2005 7:27:04 PM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:15:09 -0800, "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote:

[snip]
>My first reaction is that it is very "busy".
>I'm also surprised at how "Googleized" it is. I'm an avid user of Google
>but don't know if I like the idea of it having such a dominant role in my
>browsing.
[snip]

If you mean the search bar in the upper right corner (which links to
more than Google), right click somewhere in the toolbar area and drag
it off into the pop-up that opens. (This has the added benefit of
expanding the location bar.)

From that pop-up you can add items to the toolbar to "busy" it up even
more, or, as I did, drag most of the icons off and set to show icons
only to strip FF down to an attractive lean minimum. I use tabs _a
lot_ so I added the one-click "open a new tab" icon to the toolbar.

An extension you may immediately want to grab is AniDisable, to
control gif animations: with a right click context menu you can set
'em to run normal, once, or never. I prefer never.

With the Adblock extension, and some time configuring, you need never
see another ad.

Pesky Flash content can be turned off/on on-the-fly with either
Flashblock (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/) or Flash Click-to-View
(http://www.squarefree.com/userstyles/xbl.html), though I detest Flash
so much I mostly keep it off permanently with jTFlashManager
(http://www.jtedley.com/jtflashmanager/readme.php).

There's more in Tools -> Options. And about:config permits many more
documented and undocumented configurations. Enjoy!

--
Luke
March 8, 2005 11:04:59 PM

Oh boy, oh boy, am I having fun. Firefox is great! I love the tabbed
browsing. And I can switch back to IE6 with one click for left-behinds that
I need.. So far I've found one or two things that don't seem to work in
Firefox but I'm sure there is a simple fix. I feel like a traitor to my
nearby neighbor, Bill ;-) -- I live 5 miles from Redmond!

"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:15:09 -0800, "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >My first reaction is that it is very "busy".
> >I'm also surprised at how "Googleized" it is. I'm an avid user of Google
> >but don't know if I like the idea of it having such a dominant role in my
> >browsing.
> [snip]
>
> If you mean the search bar in the upper right corner (which links to
> more than Google), right click somewhere in the toolbar area and drag
> it off into the pop-up that opens. (This has the added benefit of
> expanding the location bar.)
>
> From that pop-up you can add items to the toolbar to "busy" it up even
> more, or, as I did, drag most of the icons off and set to show icons
> only to strip FF down to an attractive lean minimum. I use tabs _a
> lot_ so I added the one-click "open a new tab" icon to the toolbar.
>
> An extension you may immediately want to grab is AniDisable, to
> control gif animations: with a right click context menu you can set
> 'em to run normal, once, or never. I prefer never.
>
> With the Adblock extension, and some time configuring, you need never
> see another ad.
>
> Pesky Flash content can be turned off/on on-the-fly with either
> Flashblock (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/) or Flash Click-to-View
> (http://www.squarefree.com/userstyles/xbl.html), though I detest Flash
> so much I mostly keep it off permanently with jTFlashManager
> (http://www.jtedley.com/jtflashmanager/readme.php).
>
> There's more in Tools -> Options. And about:config permits many more
> documented and undocumented configurations. Enjoy!
>
> --
> Luke
March 9, 2005 3:19:31 AM

Welcome to the Firefox fan club, Bobster. I hope IE 7 will be available for
9x and really be revamped to compete head on with Firefox.

[...]
: > --
: > Luke
:
:
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:28:37 AM

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:30:06 -0800, bobster wrote:

> My question is:
>
> Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation. Can I
> operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep them
> completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox take over
> my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to run any browser
> besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with trying to have WMP and
> Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad experience with Real Player
> usurping WMP associations.

Yes, Firefox and IE6 will coexist. I have both on my 98SE computer and my
XP Pro computer. I've kept IE6 for Windows Updates and for websites that
won't work well with Firefox (which so far for me have been few and far
between). In fact you can even import your favorites from IE6 into
Firefox.

Hi Bob. :o )

Patty
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:30:15 AM

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:43:25 -0800, Menno Hershberger wrote:

> Like IE, Firefox will pop up the window asking if you want to make it the
> default browser. You can click NO and check "Don't ask me again". Then IE
> will maintain its associations. Otherwise the browsers are totally
> seperate entities and have no effect on each other.
> I prefer Firefox myself, so it is set as default. But in the rare cases
> where it won't work on something, I have no problem running IE.

Same here. I have Firefox set for default, which means whenever you click
on a link such as with email or NGs, it will open in Firefox. However, if
you need IE6 for something it will work just as always (just won't be
default if you set them that way.) I also prefer Firefox.

Patty
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:32:48 AM

Glad you like it.
I tried it last year - kept it about 2 hours.
Most people I know need and use the IE plugin.
You know skins for IE with tabs have been available long time.
I think Maxthon is rated highly.
I have previously read on the Longhorn rumor sites, it would have tabs for
browser.
I really don't care for tabs so hope it is optional - but that is my
preference.
Happy surfing - I am planning on sampling Opera my next bout.
--
mae

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 9:31:30 AM

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:32:02 -0500

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:17:33 -0800, bobster wrote:

> Thanks, Tim. I'm about 2 hours into Firefox and am on a steep learning
> curve. Re -set the start page to my taste and am now setting up what is
> called "links" in IE6. Haven't quite figured out all the aspects of tabbed
> browsing but I can see the potential. Having lotsa fun and no problems so
> far.

So far, my Firefox works pretty much like IE6 did. I even imported all my
IE6 Favorites into Firefox.

Patty
March 9, 2005 10:48:16 AM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:04:59 -0800, "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote:

>Oh boy, oh boy, am I having fun. Firefox is great! I love the tabbed
>browsing. And I can switch back to IE6 with one click for left-behinds that
>I need.. So far I've found one or two things that don't seem to work in
>Firefox but I'm sure there is a simple fix. I feel like a traitor to my
>nearby neighbor, Bill ;-) -- I live 5 miles from Redmond!
[snip]

Hehe. Well, next time Bill and the Missus have you over their place of
an evening you can apologize for being part of cutting into by a tiny
bit what was the near 100% market share of his bundled browser ;-).

--
Luke
March 9, 2005 2:18:37 PM

Luke this is a great point about why Internet Explorer 7 should be
backward-compatible to 2000, ME and even 98SE. If Microsoft wants to remain
on top in the browser market then Microsoft needs to address the challenges
posed by Unix/Linux, Apple, Mozilla, Google, Yahoo, etc. I am starting to
think that 98 first edition is becomming too obsolete because AFAIK it cannot
support USB 2.0 even with 3rd party drivers, cannot support WMP 9, has weaker
drivers, etc. I think Microsoft is realizing this as well because for
instance Microsoft Money 2005 requires 98SE as a bare minimum. I feel
fortunate, lucky and blessed that 98SE users are getting all this support but
I still want more support because although 98SE is about six years old we
still have over a year until 30 June 2006 when last critical support for 98,
98SE and ME ends. As far as ME goes I have found that too many users find it
unworkable, the support for older programs is lacking and the removal of easy
access to MS-DOS was a big mistake. In fact I would go as far to say that ME
was the final nail in the coffin for the 9x line. Whether I as a little
person with a big stick and others who are in the computer business can
change that remains to be seen. Take care and have a great day!

: On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:04:59 -0800, "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote:
:
: >Oh boy, oh boy, am I having fun. Firefox is great! I love the tabbed
: >browsing. And I can switch back to IE6 with one click for left-behinds
that
: >I need.. So far I've found one or two things that don't seem to work in
: >Firefox but I'm sure there is a simple fix. I feel like a traitor to my
: >nearby neighbor, Bill ;-) -- I live 5 miles from Redmond!
: [snip]
:
: Hehe. Well, next time Bill and the Missus have you over their place of
: an evening you can apologize for being part of cutting into by a tiny
: bit what was the near 100% market share of his bundled browser ;-).
:
: --
: Luke
March 9, 2005 3:46:30 PM

Patty

As I said, I'm on a steep learning curve with Firefox. I've imported all of
my favorites from IE6 and re-created my "links" on the navigation tool bar.
So far -- as you say -- there aren't many things that don't work on
Firefox - only those ActiveX things AFAIK. I was pleasantly surprised that
when I clicked on the mail button, it brought up my email client. So far,
so good.

At the suggestion of one of the responders (Mae), I looked into the IE
enhancer, Maxthon but after reading a lot of reviews, got a bit leery and
decided to stick with Firefox and Vanilla IE6.

Nice to hear from you. Thanks again for your previous help.

"Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:30:06 -0800, bobster wrote:
> >
> > My question is:
> >
> > Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation.
Can I
> > operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep them
> > completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox take
over
> > my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to run any
browser
> > besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with trying to have WMP and
> > Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad experience with Real
Player
> > usurping WMP associations.
>
> Yes, Firefox and IE6 will coexist. I have both on my 98SE computer and my
> XP Pro computer. I've kept IE6 for Windows Updates and for websites that
> won't work well with Firefox (which so far for me have been few and far
> between). In fact you can even import your favorites from IE6 into
> Firefox.
>
> Hi Bob. :o )
>
> Patty
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:54:17 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:46:30 -0800, bobster wrote:

> Patty
>
> As I said, I'm on a steep learning curve with Firefox. I've imported all of
> my favorites from IE6 and re-created my "links" on the navigation tool bar.
> So far -- as you say -- there aren't many things that don't work on
> Firefox - only those ActiveX things AFAIK. I was pleasantly surprised that
> when I clicked on the mail button, it brought up my email client. So far,
> so good.
>
> At the suggestion of one of the responders (Mae), I looked into the IE
> enhancer, Maxthon but after reading a lot of reviews, got a bit leery and
> decided to stick with Firefox and Vanilla IE6.
>
> Nice to hear from you. Thanks again for your previous help.

Glad I could help. :o )

Patty
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:47:57 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:32:48 -0600, "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com>

(about FireFox)

>I tried it last year - kept it about 2 hours.

I didn't like the betas (0.9x etc.) but release 1.0 is very nice
indeed, and I'm using it most of the time.

Note that Firefox 1.1 is out, and fixes several bugs and risks (yes,
Firefox has potentially exploitable defects too). The advice seems to
be to uninstall the old version before installing the new, i.e. that
installing 1.1 over 1.0 may not be safe enough.

BTW, that advice (uninstall the old version first) applies hugely to
Sun's Java (JRE). By design, Sun retains old versions of the JRE and
these remain reachable, and thus exploitable.

>Most people I know need and use the IE plugin.

I've avoided that. Getting rid of ActiveX is a plus, IMO, and if a
web site "requires" programming my PC at that level, I want this to
fail and thus come to my attention. So far I've yet to see a site
that I value enough to take that risk, aside from some MS pages that
rely on ActiveX. Even there, I can't remember one I needed.

>I have previously read on the Longhorn rumor sites, it would have tabs for
>browser. I really don't care for tabs so hope it is optional

It should be; it is, in Firefox. It just gives you an extra choice:
- open (in this window)
- open in a new window
- open in a new tab

You can also preset (via options) whether:
- links clicked elsewhere in the system will pop up in a
new window, new tab, or existing window.
- sites that try to spawn new windows can be allowed
to do so, or forced to open a new tab instead
- when a new window or tab is spawned, whether the
current tab switches to the new or stays where you were

I find tabbed browsing useful when firing off links from a page of
Google search results, etc. I can have different searches in
different windows, and all related hits as tabs within each of these.

It would be a bad implimentation of tabs, if you lost the ability to
spawn new windows when you wanted to. That would defeat the above
advantage of tabbed + windowed browsing.

"If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have
killed it myself" (PKD)
March 11, 2005 2:47:58 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:47:57 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
<cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:32:48 -0600, "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com>
>
>(about FireFox)
>
>>I tried it last year - kept it about 2 hours.
>
>I didn't like the betas (0.9x etc.) but release 1.0 is very nice
>indeed, and I'm using it most of the time.
>
>Note that Firefox 1.1 is out, and fixes several bugs and risks (yes,
>Firefox has potentially exploitable defects too). The advice seems to
>be to uninstall the old version before installing the new, i.e. that
>installing 1.1 over 1.0 may not be safe enough.
[snip]

Do you mean FF 1.0.1? I thought the install issue, as explained in the
release notes, has to do with installing the exe over a previous zip
installation. FWIW I installed the new exe over the old with no
apparent problems. As always I backed up bookmarks, cookies, and
config files first, just to be safe.

--
Luke
March 11, 2005 2:47:58 PM

Chris, it is good to hear your reply. I overinstalled Firefox 1.1 over 1.0.
I guess I had better go back and unistall it fully and then reinstall the new
version. Thanks for the post and have an awesome day! You have been very
kind and nice to me. <smile>

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:imp231h26uk6uifhcun07nmefr4bk5sp1i@4ax.com...
: >-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
: "If I'd known it was harmless, I'd have
: killed it myself" (PKD)
: >-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
March 11, 2005 2:47:59 PM

I did the same Luke but it appears that the smarter route would be to
unistall the old version fully first and then install the new version to
prevent security problems due to the first version possibly not fully
patching the older version. I think that you probably would not have any
problems but Chris's method of unistalling the old version and then
installing the new version definetely sounds safer and Chris is the MVP.

[...]
March 12, 2005 2:14:55 AM

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:imp231h26uk6uifhcun07nmefr4bk5sp1i@4ax.com...
| On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:32:48 -0600, "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com>
|
| (about FireFox)
|
| >I tried it last year - kept it about 2 hours.
|
| I didn't like the betas (0.9x etc.) but release 1.0 is very nice
| indeed, and I'm using it most of the time.

Might try again but too busy now learning XP.

| Note that Firefox 1.1 is out, and fixes several bugs and risks (yes,
| Firefox has potentially exploitable defects too). The advice seems to
| be to uninstall the old version before installing the new, i.e. that
| installing 1.1 over 1.0 may not be safe enough.

Uninstalled last year so no worry.

| BTW, that advice (uninstall the old version first) applies hugely to
| Sun's Java (JRE). By design, Sun retains old versions of the JRE and
| these remain reachable, and thus exploitable.
|
| >Most people I know need and use the IE plugin.
|
| I've avoided that. Getting rid of ActiveX is a plus, IMO, and if a
| web site "requires" programming my PC at that level, I want this to
| fail and thus come to my attention. So far I've yet to see a site
| that I value enough to take that risk, aside from some MS pages that
| rely on ActiveX. Even there, I can't remember one I needed.

They use it for Rich Text.
I have always had prompt for ActiveX -only needed forWindows Update.
Also prompt for Java aps. - only have one-Money ticker.

| >I have previously read on the Longhorn rumor sites, it would have tabs
for
| >browser. I really don't care for tabs so hope it is optional
|
| It should be; it is, in Firefox. It just gives you an extra choice:
| - open (in this window)
| - open in a new window
| - open in a new tab
|
| You can also preset (via options) whether:
| - links clicked elsewhere in the system will pop up in a
| new window, new tab, or existing window.
| - sites that try to spawn new windows can be allowed
| to do so, or forced to open a new tab instead
| - when a new window or tab is spawned, whether the
| current tab switches to the new or stays where you were
|
| I find tabbed browsing useful when firing off links from a page of
| Google search results, etc. I can have different searches in
| different windows, and all related hits as tabs within each of these.
|
| It would be a bad implimentation of tabs, if you lost the ability to
| spawn new windows when you wanted to. That would defeat the above
| advantage of tabbed + windowed browsing.

My browsing habits and taste are probably not the norm.
Thanks for input on use of tabs.

--
mae
Anonymous

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:07:50 -0700, Luke <luke@nowhere.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:47:57 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"

>>Note that Firefox 1.1 is out, and fixes several bugs and risks (yes,
>>Firefox has potentially exploitable defects too). The advice seems to
>>be to uninstall the old version before installing the new, i.e. that
>>installing 1.1 over 1.0 may not be safe enough.

>Do you mean FF 1.0.1?

Sorry, my bad; yes, 1.0.1 it is!

>I thought the install issue, as explained in the release notes, has
>to do with installing the exe over a previous zip installation. FWIW
>I installed the new exe over the old with no apparent problems.

The type of problem that would bother me, is the persistence of
exploitable defects that 1.0.1 sought to fix - could even be settings
that a fresh 1.0.1 would enforce whereas an over-old may preserve.

>As always I backed up bookmarks, cookies, and
>config files first, just to be safe.

Good1

>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!
>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
March 12, 2005 7:11:14 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:11:13 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
<cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:07:50 -0700, Luke <luke@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:47:57 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
>
>>>Note that Firefox 1.1 is out, and fixes several bugs and risks (yes,
>>>Firefox has potentially exploitable defects too). The advice seems to
>>>be to uninstall the old version before installing the new, i.e. that
>>>installing 1.1 over 1.0 may not be safe enough.
>
>>Do you mean FF 1.0.1?
>
>Sorry, my bad; yes, 1.0.1 it is!

My apologies if I seemed to nitpick, but the release of FF 1.1 would
be big news :-).

>>I thought the install issue, as explained in the release notes, has
>>to do with installing the exe over a previous zip installation. FWIW
>>I installed the new exe over the old with no apparent problems.
>
>The type of problem that would bother me, is the persistence of
>exploitable defects that 1.0.1 sought to fix - could even be settings
>that a fresh 1.0.1 would enforce whereas an over-old may preserve.
[snip]

I see that Brian Livingston, http://windowssecrets.com/comp/050310,
and others agree with you, but mostly for incompatibility problems.

It seems that for "the average user" instructions on the FF download
page are vague if not contradictory, and I wonder how many will
backup, uninstall, install - if they know about or bother with 1.0.1
at all. Doesn't seem a good strategy for competing with IE, does it?

--
Luke
March 12, 2005 7:23:46 PM

Chris, I did what turned out to be an experiment on my 98SE side and decided
to install Firefox 1.0.1 over the original Firefox 1.0 and guess my system is
so nicely configured that 2 firefoxes were sitting in my 98SE Add/Remove
Programs so I removed version 1.0 and I now only have version 1.0.1. I guess
I could go to the time of removing version 1.0.1 to make sure that no
vulnerabilities somehow crossed over and reinstall completely clean as you
suggest but I thought this post would amuse you. <smile>

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:uvt531li0ir8s1d4mets3v1a8kc0u1lhem@4ax.com...
: >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
: Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
: ideal for experimentation!
: >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
March 12, 2005 7:25:33 PM

Well perhaps you can write to Mozilla and let them know your concerns and
feedback, Luke. I currently am too busy with other stuff and potential
identity theft issues on my side to write this concern for you.

"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:p 5u5315ljctmkdl0hnbklst406ps6h49g6@4ax.com...
[...]
March 12, 2005 10:05:33 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:25:33 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Well perhaps you can write to Mozilla and let them know your concerns and
>feedback, Luke. I currently am too busy with other stuff and potential
>identity theft issues on my side to write this concern for you.

I'm sure Mozilla folks have gotten an earful :-).

--
Luke
March 12, 2005 10:18:16 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:23:46 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Chris, I did what turned out to be an experiment on my 98SE side and decided
>to install Firefox 1.0.1 over the original Firefox 1.0 and guess my system is
>so nicely configured that 2 firefoxes were sitting in my 98SE Add/Remove
>Programs so I removed version 1.0 and I now only have version 1.0.1. I guess
>I could go to the time of removing version 1.0.1 to make sure that no
>vulnerabilities somehow crossed over and reinstall completely clean as you
>suggest but I thought this post would amuse you. <smile>

It's not your system. I, too, had 1.0.1 and 1.0 in Add/Remove. From
Brian Livingston's "Windows Secrets Newsletter", Mar. 3, 2005,
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/050303:

"8. If you installed Firefox 1.0.1 over 1.0, the Add/Remove Programs
applet in your Control Panel will show two uninstallers: one for
"Mozilla Firefox (1.0)" and one for "Mozilla Firefox (1.0.1)." Running
either routine at this point will uninstall Firefox 1.0.1. This is a
known bug. Don't run either uninstall routine unless you want to
uninstall Firefox 1.0.1."

Were you able to uninstall 1.0 with Add/Remove and leave 1.0.1
installed?

--
Luke
March 13, 2005 1:33:07 AM

<smile>

"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:o p7731tdjvrbu9amrlolff0rmjagm4l31m@4ax.com...
: On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:25:33 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
:
: >Well perhaps you can write to Mozilla and let them know your concerns and
: >feedback, Luke. I currently am too busy with other stuff and potential
: >identity theft issues on my side to write this concern for you.
:
: I'm sure Mozilla folks have gotten an earful :-).
:
: --
: Luke
March 13, 2005 1:34:00 AM

I was indeed. LOL!! Remember, I am a power user. <smile>

[...]
March 13, 2005 9:10:21 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:23:46 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Chris, I did what turned out to be an experiment on my 98SE side and decided
>to install Firefox 1.0.1 over the original Firefox 1.0 and guess my system is
>so nicely configured that 2 firefoxes were sitting in my 98SE Add/Remove
>Programs so I removed version 1.0 and I now only have version 1.0.1. I guess
>I could go to the time of removing version 1.0.1 to make sure that no
>vulnerabilities somehow crossed over and reinstall completely clean as you
>suggest but I thought this post would amuse you. <smile>

It does, yes! Did you install Firefox 1.0.1 in the same location as
Firefox 1.0.0? If so, it's a wonder the Firefox 1.0.0 uninstall
didn't rip up the never version's files.

I'm not too sure what (if any) issues there are with installing 1.0.1
over 1.0.0 - the advice could be FUD or a general statement of
best-practice. The problem with exploit vulnerabilities, is that you
can't trust something dubious just because it appears to work.

Does anyone have any specifics on this? Let's see if Firefox's own
web site has anything... <google break> ah...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=225601&si...

(advice on 1.0.1 update)

(more advice on the above - but note this is "how to upgrade *to*
1.00, i.e. from previous beta versions, and beta versions are
notorious for being messy to "update")

Note: I tried the auto-update feature within Firefox 1.00 via ADSL.
It basically never completed, so I explicitly downloaded the new
version instead, and will install it RSN.

There is a Firefox 1.1 due this month, BTW :-)

Reality is that which, when you stop believing
in it, does not go away (PKD)
March 13, 2005 9:10:22 AM

Thanks Chris and BTW, I added 7 to the install routine when I installed 1.0.1
so it would allow me to fully unistall the first one without a problem. I
just wanted to try and see if I could get it to work. I now will unistall
firefox fully and reinstall the latest version. My experiment was a success.
<huge smile>

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:cde731lht4b4tm2o04l37p5gg4472l5f7f@4ax.com...
: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=158083
:
: (more advice on the above - but note this is "how to upgrade *to*
: 1.00, i.e. from previous beta versions, and beta versions are
: notorious for being messy to "update")
:
: Note: I tried the auto-update feature within Firefox 1.00 via ADSL.
: It basically never completed, so I explicitly downloaded the new
: version instead, and will install it RSN.
:
: There is a Firefox 1.1 due this month, BTW :-)
:
:
:
: >-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
: Reality is that which, when you stop believing
: in it, does not go away (PKD)
: >-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:46:13 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:37:06 -0700, Dan wrote:

> Thanks Chris and BTW, I added 7 to the install routine when I installed 1.0.1
> so it would allow me to fully unistall the first one without a problem. I
> just wanted to try and see if I could get it to work. I now will unistall
> firefox fully and reinstall the latest version. My experiment was a success.
> <huge smile>

I also installed 1.0.1 over 1.0. I did the "update" through the program
and there was no information not to do it that way. Guess I'll just have
to visit the website before upgrading in the future. Usually when software
has an "update" button, you can do just that, update over the old version.
Guess that's not the case with Firefox.

Patty
March 16, 2005 10:38:41 PM

Friends,
I hope, I am not very late. I am using version 1.0 and quite happy with it.
But one feature which I am sorely missing is the favorites and its associate
Tabs of IE. Bookmarks of FF comes nowhere near IE's favorites Tab. Have they
made any changes in the latest version. For this one reason IE will always
be my default browser. cquirke in his post mentioned that Firefox 1.1 is due
this month. If that is the case, I think downloading 1.1 would better than
1.0.1.
Thanks.

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
news:o ACPkkOJFHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Patty
>
> As I said, I'm on a steep learning curve with Firefox. I've imported all
of
> my favorites from IE6 and re-created my "links" on the navigation tool
bar.
> So far -- as you say -- there aren't many things that don't work on
> Firefox - only those ActiveX things AFAIK. I was pleasantly surprised
that
> when I clicked on the mail button, it brought up my email client. So far,
> so good.
>
> At the suggestion of one of the responders (Mae), I looked into the IE
> enhancer, Maxthon but after reading a lot of reviews, got a bit leery and
> decided to stick with Firefox and Vanilla IE6.
>
> Nice to hear from you. Thanks again for your previous help.

> "Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:30:06 -0800, bobster wrote:
> > >
> > > My question is:
> > >
> > > Can I download and use Firefox without screwing up my IE6 operation.
> Can I
> > > operate both IE6 and Firefox in a dual either/or setup and keep them
> > > completely independent of each other or will downloading Firefox take
> over
> > > my associations with IE6. Although I have never tried to run any
> browser
> > > besides IE, I have had some bad experiences with trying to have WMP
and
> > > Quick Time on the same machine. Also had a bad experience with Real
> Player
> > > usurping WMP associations.
> >
> > Yes, Firefox and IE6 will coexist. I have both on my 98SE computer and
my
> > XP Pro computer. I've kept IE6 for Windows Updates and for websites
that
> > won't work well with Firefox (which so far for me have been few and far
> > between). In fact you can even import your favorites from IE6 into
> > Firefox.
> >
> > Hi Bob. :o )
> >
> > Patty

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:38:42 PM

"newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote:

>Friends,
>I hope, I am not very late. I am using version 1.0 and quite happy with it.
>But one feature which I am sorely missing is the favorites and its associate
>Tabs of IE. Bookmarks of FF comes nowhere near IE's favorites Tab. Have they
>made any changes in the latest version.

I don't know what you mean by "Favorites tab". You can have Firefox
display the favorites as a sidebar by clicking Ctrl+B, or choosing
View|Sidebar|Bookmarks. Ctrl+B also does the same thing in IE.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

I have no problem with FF and perfectly happy with it except for the limited
range of bookmark.
What I meant is that in IE there is provision for downloading and saving
pages for offline
viewing, using favorite which seems to be absent in FF.
Is there any way to configure bookmark (which I think is equivalent of
favorite in IE) to download pages and save them for offline viewing.

> "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >Friends,
> >I hope, I am not very late. I am using version 1.0 and quite happy with
it.
> >But one feature which I am sorely missing is the favorites and its
associate
> >Tabs of IE. Bookmarks of FF comes nowhere near IE's favorites Tab. Have
they
> >made any changes in the latest version.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "Favorites tab". You can have Firefox
> display the favorites as a sidebar by clicking Ctrl+B, or choosing
> View|Sidebar|Bookmarks. Ctrl+B also does the same thing in IE.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:28:07 PM

"newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote:

>I have no problem with FF and perfectly happy with it except for the limited
>range of bookmark.
>What I meant is that in IE there is provision for downloading and saving
>pages for offline
>viewing, using favorite which seems to be absent in FF.
>Is there any way to configure bookmark (which I think is equivalent of
>favorite in IE) to download pages and save them for offline viewing.

Once the page is up you can right-click it and choose "Save page
as...".

The only thing I can find in IE that has anything to do with what
you're talking about is the "Send to..." item that appears when you
right-click a bookmark. Is that what you're talking about?

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

I think Newbie's talking about setting a Favorite and including Make
Available Offline option.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >I have no problem with FF and perfectly happy with it except for the
limited
> >range of bookmark.
> >What I meant is that in IE there is provision for downloading and
saving
> >pages for offline
> >viewing, using favorite which seems to be absent in FF.
> >Is there any way to configure bookmark (which I think is equivalent
of
> >favorite in IE) to download pages and save them for offline viewing.
>
> Once the page is up you can right-click it and choose "Save page
> as...".
>
> The only thing I can find in IE that has anything to do with what
> you're talking about is the "Send to..." item that appears when you
> right-click a bookmark. Is that what you're talking about?
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
March 19, 2005 10:19:34 AM

That's right. Is their any alternative to that in FF?
TIA

news:o 9dbQdxKFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I think Newbie's talking about setting a Favorite and including Make
> Available Offline option.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> > "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have no problem with FF and perfectly happy with it except for the
> limited
> > >range of bookmark.
> > >What I meant is that in IE there is provision for downloading and
> saving
> > >pages for offline
> > >viewing, using favorite which seems to be absent in FF.
> > >Is there any way to configure bookmark (which I think is equivalent
> of
> > >favorite in IE) to download pages and save them for offline viewing.
> >
> > Once the page is up you can right-click it and choose "Save page
> > as...".
> >
> > The only thing I can find in IE that has anything to do with what
> > you're talking about is the "Send to..." item that appears when you
> > right-click a bookmark. Is that what you're talking about?
> >
> > --
> > Tim Slattery
> > MS MVP(DTS)
> > Slattery_T@bls.gov

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:19:35 AM

I don't know, don't use FF. Somebody else, perhaps...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o aU$KWELFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> That's right. Is their any alternative to that in FF?
> TIA

> news:o 9dbQdxKFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > I think Newbie's talking about setting a Favorite and including Make
> > Available Offline option.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message

> > limited
> > saving
> > of
> > >
> > > Once the page is up you can right-click it and choose "Save page
> > > as...".
> > >
> > > The only thing I can find in IE that has anything to do with what
> > > you're talking about is the "Send to..." item that appears when
you
> > > right-click a bookmark. Is that what you're talking about?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tim Slattery
> > > MS MVP(DTS)
> > > Slattery_T@bls.gov

March 21, 2005 9:02:22 AM

not as far as I know but I am still learning about Mozilla Firefox's
features -- have you posted in the Firefox community yet? . . . 1

news:o mI6ATFLFHA.2492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
: > news:o 9dbQdxKFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: > > I think Newbie's talking about setting a Favorite and including Make
: > > Available Offline option.
: > >
: > > --
: > > Gary S. Terhune
[...]