USB hard drive enclosure won't work in win98SE

I got a USB enclosure for 2.5" laptop hard drives along with a 7.5 gig
HDD (IBM Travelstar).The enclosure has no name or model # on it.It
works fine on ME and XP machines.

It's supposed to work in a Win98SE machine with the addition of
drivers,but I can't get it to work.Windows recognizes the enclosure as
a "USB Mass Storage Device" when it's plugged in,but can't locate
drivers for it.I have found loads of drivers from various sites
(manufacturers & driver download sites)for USB Mass Storage Devices and
other USB enclosures for hard drives.Most of these drivers are
identical to each other.

One problem is that they just don't work after installation.

A seperate problem with the most common (they appear to be generic)
drivers is that after the installation starts Windows says, "Insert
Windows 98 SE SP in the selected drive...".I don't know what this disk
is.AFAIK,MS doesn't have an SP for WIN98 SE.There is a free update that
someone did that combines all the patches etc. for Win98 SE into one 15
meg file called the Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack.I tried this:no
luck.The file Windows wants from this mysterious disc is ufd.sys.I
can't find this file anywhere.Actually,it's supposed to be on the
Unofficial SP thing,but after installing it and searching for it,I
couldn't find it.

This would sem to be a common problem,so I'm really confused why there
are no references to the "Win 98 SE SP" disc or the ufd.sys file.

Anyone know about ufd.sys or the "Windows 98 SE SP" disc or how to get
a USB hard drive to work with Win98?

BTW,my USB flash drives work fine in these '98 machines.
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drive enclosure work win98se

    On 7 Mar 2005 20:49:16 -0800, leewiley2@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I got a USB enclosure for 2.5" laptop hard drives along with a 7.5 gig
    >HDD (IBM Travelstar).The enclosure has no name or model # on it.It
    >works fine on ME and XP machines.
    >
    >It's supposed to work in a Win98SE machine with the addition of
    >drivers,but I can't get it to work.Windows recognizes the enclosure as
    >a "USB Mass Storage Device" when it's plugged in,but can't locate
    >drivers for it.I have found loads of drivers from various sites
    >(manufacturers & driver download sites)for USB Mass Storage Devices and
    >other USB enclosures for hard drives.Most of these drivers are
    >identical to each other.
    >
    >One problem is that they just don't work after installation.
    >
    >A seperate problem with the most common (they appear to be generic)
    >drivers is that after the installation starts Windows says, "Insert
    >Windows 98 SE SP in the selected drive...".I don't know what this disk
    >is.AFAIK,MS doesn't have an SP for WIN98 SE.There is a free update that
    >someone did that combines all the patches etc. for Win98 SE into one 15
    >meg file called the Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack.I tried this:no
    >luck.The file Windows wants from this mysterious disc is ufd.sys.I
    >can't find this file anywhere.Actually,it's supposed to be on the
    >Unofficial SP thing,but after installing it and searching for it,I
    >couldn't find it.
    >
    >This would sem to be a common problem,so I'm really confused why there
    >are no references to the "Win 98 SE SP" disc or the ufd.sys file.
    >
    >Anyone know about ufd.sys or the "Windows 98 SE SP" disc or how to get
    >a USB hard drive to work with Win98?

    When you are asked "Insert Windows 98 SE SP in the selected drive"
    It may mean it wants the Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack file or
    folder where the files are. If there is a browse button when asked
    for it use that to point to the file or files from the 15 mb
    download.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

    Why do you think it's supposed to work? If it has no name or model # then
    what sources are you using for information about the device?

    UFD.SYS is not an MS file and isn't available from a Windows installation CD
    or service pack. Perhaps SP refers to the CD that should have been supplied
    with the device.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    <leewiley2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I got a USB enclosure for 2.5" laptop hard drives along with a 7.5 gig
    > HDD (IBM Travelstar).The enclosure has no name or model # on it.It
    > works fine on ME and XP machines.
    >
    > It's supposed to work in a Win98SE machine with the addition of
    > drivers,but I can't get it to work.Windows recognizes the enclosure as
    > a "USB Mass Storage Device" when it's plugged in,but can't locate
    > drivers for it.I have found loads of drivers from various sites
    > (manufacturers & driver download sites)for USB Mass Storage Devices and
    > other USB enclosures for hard drives.Most of these drivers are
    > identical to each other.
    >
    > One problem is that they just don't work after installation.
    >
    > A seperate problem with the most common (they appear to be generic)
    > drivers is that after the installation starts Windows says, "Insert
    > Windows 98 SE SP in the selected drive...".I don't know what this disk
    > is.AFAIK,MS doesn't have an SP for WIN98 SE.There is a free update that
    > someone did that combines all the patches etc. for Win98 SE into one 15
    > meg file called the Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack.I tried this:no
    > luck.The file Windows wants from this mysterious disc is ufd.sys.I
    > can't find this file anywhere.Actually,it's supposed to be on the
    > Unofficial SP thing,but after installing it and searching for it,I
    > couldn't find it.
    >
    > This would sem to be a common problem,so I'm really confused why there
    > are no references to the "Win 98 SE SP" disc or the ufd.sys file.
    >
    > Anyone know about ufd.sys or the "Windows 98 SE SP" disc or how to get
    > a USB hard drive to work with Win98?
    >
    > BTW,my USB flash drives work fine in these '98 machines.

Enclosure USB Hard Drives Windows