Got thaaaat close. Need some quick advice

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 8, 2005 9:47:44 PM

Hi all,
havent checked other posts, dont have time right now.

I finally formatted my Ddrive and prepared it for XP.
I got 20mins into the instal thing just now when it brought a msg
saying that Norton (2004) had intercepted it trying to write to the
boot of Cdrive.
It gave me 3 options, ::::
1)Stop
2)Continue
3)Exclude.
It nominated the path and I think it ended up in system32, but
you guys would probably already know where it led.
It didnt give me much more info and I knew it was up to me to
summise, but I didnt want to interpret incorrectly so I pressed "S" for
Stop and here I am.
This is the very first time I have been game enough to go this far
using my own computer, but college has now become insistant via
the topics.
I've never really messed with Nortons Options and have had a good
relationship with it; but it seems now that I should be doing
something to it prior to trying to instal XP.
Would really love this to go smoothly, (of which so far it seems to
have) so any last minute tips would really really be appreciated.
I right clicked on Nortons icon after leaving xp's set-up, but it didnt
bring up an option to Disable....... Is this done somewhere else?
More to the point, is this what I should be doing.
Would love to start the whole thing within the next 1/2hr, but only
after I get this Norton thing sorted.

ta guys

regards Jane
March 8, 2005 9:47:45 PM

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> havent checked other posts, dont have time right now.
>
> I finally formatted my Ddrive and prepared it for XP.
> I got 20mins into the instal thing just now when it brought a msg
> saying that Norton (2004) had intercepted it trying to write to the
> boot of Cdrive.
> It gave me 3 options, ::::
> 1)Stop
> 2)Continue
> 3)Exclude.

continue,
that would be normal

better still, turn off norton entirely during the installation
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:47:45 PM

I'm checking your other threads here so don't have time right now to pay
attention to this one.

jane wrote:
> Hi all,
> havent checked other posts, dont have time right now.
March 8, 2005 9:47:46 PM

LOL. (But this is XP-poisoning at it's worst, & I must go.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
news:o dpc$kAJFHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| I'm checking your other threads here so don't have time right now to
pay
| attention to this one.
|
| jane wrote:
| > Hi all,
| > havent checked other posts, dont have time right now.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:12:37 PM

Hi,
have checked around Nortons options, is it Auto-Protect
that I am to switch off?
Is there an area when I can disable the whole box n' dice
simply with a simple way of re-instating it after XP is installed?

regards Jane

> Hi all,
> havent checked other posts, dont have time right now.
>
> I finally formatted my Ddrive and prepared it for XP.
> I got 20mins into the instal thing just now when it brought a msg
> saying that Norton (2004) had intercepted it trying to write to the
> boot of Cdrive.
> It gave me 3 options, ::::
> 1)Stop
> 2)Continue
> 3)Exclude.
> It nominated the path and I think it ended up in system32, but
> you guys would probably already know where it led.
> It didnt give me much more info and I knew it was up to me to
> summise, but I didnt want to interpret incorrectly so I pressed "S" for
> Stop and here I am.
> This is the very first time I have been game enough to go this far
> using my own computer, but college has now become insistant via
> the topics.
> I've never really messed with Nortons Options and have had a good
> relationship with it; but it seems now that I should be doing
> something to it prior to trying to instal XP.
> Would really love this to go smoothly, (of which so far it seems to
> have) so any last minute tips would really really be appreciated.
> I right clicked on Nortons icon after leaving xp's set-up, but it didnt
> bring up an option to Disable....... Is this done somewhere else?
> More to the point, is this what I should be doing.
> Would love to start the whole thing within the next 1/2hr, but only
> after I get this Norton thing sorted.
>
> ta guys
>
> regards Jane

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:12:38 PM

jane wrote:
> Hi,
> have checked around Nortons options, is it Auto-Protect
> that I am to switch off?
> Is there an area when I can disable the whole box n' dice
> simply with a simple way of re-instating it after XP is installed?

Look in msconfig...autoexec, etc.

Today's thought(s): frugality is good; snipping excess verbiage is
frugal.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
March 8, 2005 10:58:06 PM

> better still, turn off norton entirely during the installation

Great, thanks philo.
I agree with you, turn it off during the whole instal,
but where the heck is the OFF button?
I have been round and round options but cant see a
'total disable', is it even in there?

gonna eat now, check back in 1/2 hour.

regards Jane
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:58:07 PM

C'mon Jane, surely you have seen this from Gary in this group many many times
before:

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926

"CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> > better still, turn off norton entirely during the installation
> >

> Great, thanks philo.
> I agree with you, turn it off during the whole instal,
> but where the heck is the OFF button?
> I have been round and round options but cant see a
> 'total disable', is it even in there?
>
> gonna eat now, check back in 1/2 hour.
>
> regards Jane

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:58:08 PM

But that doesn't help with identifying specific steps for disabling
whatever Norton real-time scanning may be involved. You may be able to
stop Norton using MSCONFIG for one reboot, but it somehow manages to
reinstate itself. Disabling Norton using Norton's own settings is one of
the specific recommendations in that article.

I don't quite get why Jane is doing an upgrade to XP instead of a clean
install, though.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

news:o VsLIa9IFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> C'mon Jane, surely you have seen this from Gary in this group many
many times
> before:
>
> How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926
>
> "CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
> http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > better still, turn off norton entirely during the installation
> > >

> > Great, thanks philo.
> > I agree with you, turn it off during the whole instal,
> > but where the heck is the OFF button?
> > I have been round and round options but cant see a
> > 'total disable', is it even in there?
> >
> > gonna eat now, check back in 1/2 hour.
> >
> > regards Jane

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:58:09 PM

I don't get that either. Nor why she would be using Norton after being a
loyal reader of these newsgroups.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

> But that doesn't help with identifying specific steps for disabling
> whatever Norton real-time scanning may be involved. You may be able to
> stop Norton using MSCONFIG for one reboot, but it somehow manages to
> reinstate itself. Disabling Norton using Norton's own settings is one of
> the specific recommendations in that article.
>
> I don't quite get why Jane is doing an upgrade to XP instead of a clean
> install, though.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

> news:o VsLIa9IFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> C'mon Jane, surely you have seen this from Gary in this group many
> many times
>> before:
>>
>> How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926
>>
>> "CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
>> http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> --
>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

>> > Great, thanks philo.
>> > I agree with you, turn it off during the whole instal,
>> > but where the heck is the OFF button?
>> > I have been round and round options but cant see a
>> > 'total disable', is it even in there?
>> >
>> > gonna eat now, check back in 1/2 hour.
>> >
>> > regards Jane

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:09:27 AM

Boy, you guys make me wonder too sometimes.

Gary, I AINT doing an upgrade.
I am simply STILL trying to just get XP in my four walls.
I tried two days ago to use a different Physical HDD, it didnt
work and all I've heard regarding it is"""" "I am stupid".

I mentioned in many threads prior that I would like to instal it on
my computer using MY OWN hdd, but I got treated like I was
supposed to know everything even though I didnt.

I posted tonight because I actually got the guts to format my Ddrive
and put XP on it........... with no help. (when I say this, you guys
have got to put yourself in my position; I am doing all of this in-between
the many mundane chores I have to deal with.
I put a post here tonight because I got 15mins into installing XP and
it said all sorts of things about my Cdrive root being written to, .......
okay, so I got scared.
I waited two hours for a reply from someone to tell me how to turn
off norton, but only got one from philo. (it still didnt give me confidence)
I posted in another group after the two hours and got two replies
within minutes telling me how to do it.

All that aside, I was feeling really proud and happy and wanted to
share my feelings with all here who 'know' what I am trying to do....
(which is simply to have xp so I can look at the thing and get familiar
with it). but now its like a damper has been put on it.

HOORay,,,,,,, yes, i actually did it.

Now for the not-so-happy news.
Naturally after booting to xp a couple of times I decided to boot to
my trusted faithful win98 just to see it was still there and okay.
Its still there, and without it I wouldnt be posting this.
But,while the Boot-up is happening after I choose WIN98, it gives
me a Message saying"" "The following files are Missing or Corrupt,
...........Command.Com."
When the boot has finished and I get to my desktop, only about a
dozen of my shortcut icons look normal and the rest look like the
typical icon from a start-up disk, if you know what I mean.
Also, that same stupid message regarding YPROXY has come back.
(the one that no-one still got back to me on).
I didnt know what to do so I just clicked on what I thought represented my
'connect to the internet' icon and here I am.

Why the flippin heck is it that PROBLEMS occur when using
microsoft?
All I did was format my Ddrive and put on XP. Puuuuurfect instal
and I can even see my normal win98 from explorer... but god
forbid I go back and try and use my win98.

Can any of you make this part of my transition a little easier by
telling me how to fix this problem? (of which should never have
occured) I just dont get the part where bills products seem to hate
each other during installation. XP so far seems fine. In fact, the only
real reason I zipped back to WIN98 was to grab my ISP's phone
number so I could set up an internet account and come into the
newsgroups shouting happy happy joy joy at my success.
I am starting to get the feeling it is NOT my fault these problems
happen, as I have followed this instal to the letter,,, in fact, the
instal was perfect, it just cost me my "desktop, command.com, &
Yproxy" along the way.
(its only been an hour since instal, so I am yet to find out what other
problems it has caused)

Oh well,,,, happy happy happy, I got xp finally, and now I can
keep up with the other kids at college.

regards Jane

(glee, dont answer, it looks like another jane drama)

> But that doesn't help with identifying specific steps for disabling
> whatever Norton real-time scanning may be involved. You may be able to
> stop Norton using MSCONFIG for one reboot, but it somehow manages to
> reinstate itself. Disabling Norton using Norton's own settings is one of
> the specific recommendations in that article.
>
> I don't quite get why Jane is doing an upgrade to XP instead of a clean
> install, though.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

> news:o VsLIa9IFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > C'mon Jane, surely you have seen this from Gary in this group many
> many times
> > before:
> >
> > How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
> > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926
> >
> > "CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
> > http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

> > > Great, thanks philo.
> > > I agree with you, turn it off during the whole instal,
> > > but where the heck is the OFF button?
> > > I have been round and round options but cant see a
> > > 'total disable', is it even in there?
> > >
> > > gonna eat now, check back in 1/2 hour.
> > >
> > > regards Jane

March 9, 2005 3:09:28 AM

You did install on a seperate partition, Jane. Also, I would also get rid of
Norton ASAP because it is junkware, IMO. Why did you need XP? Do you buy a
new BMW car just because somebody else bought it? I am in agreement with
Gary and Ron and I wonder about your logic also sometimes Jane. Have you
considered using a program like BootNG (or maybe it is BootItNG) but
according to other posters this will help you a lot because it helps to
organize different partitions. I have not used it myself so I know only what
I have read about the program. Jane, again by having Norton (Symantec)
installed you are just asking for problems. Also, I would have set aside a
block of time --- say 3 hours at least to make sure you can do what you want
to do and to make sure you do it right. I just read your post and the
associated posts now and thought to myself, Oh No what will happen now.
Anyway, I do hope all works out but in the future I would not be so impulsive
because as I have recently learned it causes more problems than it is worth
and asking and being patient for replies is sound wisdom. Have a good day
and don't let PC problems get you down.

:
: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
: news:udHow79IFHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > But that doesn't help with identifying specific steps for disabling
: > whatever Norton real-time scanning may be involved. You may be able to
: > stop Norton using MSCONFIG for one reboot, but it somehow manages to
: > reinstate itself. Disabling Norton using Norton's own settings is one of
: > the specific recommendations in that article.
: >
: > I don't quite get why Jane is doing an upgrade to XP instead of a clean
: > install, though.
: >
: > --
: > Gary S. Terhune
: > MS MVP Shell/User
: > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: >
: > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
: > news:o VsLIa9IFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > > C'mon Jane, surely you have seen this from Gary in this group many
: > many times
: > > before:
: > >
: > > How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
: > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926
: > >
: > > "CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
: > > http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > > --
: > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
: > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
: > >
: > >
: > > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
: > > news:ulm0sA8IFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: > > >
: > > > > better still, turn off norton entirely during the installation
: > > > >
: > > >
: > > > Great, thanks philo.
: > > > I agree with you, turn it off during the whole instal,
: > > > but where the heck is the OFF button?
: > > > I have been round and round options but cant see a
: > > > 'total disable', is it even in there?
: > > >
: > > > gonna eat now, check back in 1/2 hour.
: > > >
: > > > regards Jane
: > > >
: > > >
: > >
: >
:
:
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:18:16 AM

Heres another thing......
Just for the heck of it I sent pam an email, from win98.
(in other words, from the same ability I have to access this group)
Guess what happend????
The instand I sent it, NORTON scanned it just like it normally
does any out-going mail.
How can this be so when NORTON is disabled???????

regards Jane
March 9, 2005 3:18:17 AM

Like we have all said, Jane and are in agreement that Norton is junkware
because it takes over your computer from yourself and Microsoft and does not
trust the user. Good Luck, in unistalling Norton and removing the associated
registry entries. Perhaps someone can help you unistall Norton fully. It is
a challenge and is not fun especially when removing all the junk that Norton
has added to your registry.

: Heres another thing......
: Just for the heck of it I sent pam an email, from win98.
: (in other words, from the same ability I have to access this group)
: Guess what happend????
: The instand I sent it, NORTON scanned it just like it normally
: does any out-going mail.
: How can this be so when NORTON is disabled???????
:
: regards Jane
:
:
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:24:01 AM

Because, Ron,
I only have Limited Funds and Norton was bought and paid
for by my husband way before I found these newsgroups.

Of course, if you wish to send me a subscription to another AV
that is paid for, then please feel free...... I am just doing the
best I can with what I have at the moment.

regards Jane
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:24:02 AM

jane wrote:
> Because, Ron,
> I only have Limited Funds and Norton was bought and paid
> for by my husband way before I found these newsgroups.
>
> Of course, if you wish to send me a subscription to another AV
> that is paid for, then please feel free

There are numerous free ones, you know...AVG and Avast! come readily to
mind.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
March 9, 2005 3:29:19 AM

Sorry Ron,
I didnt mean to be so abrupt, things really havent gone my
way in the last week regarding comp' whether it be at college,
home, or in the n/g's.
I am trying my best, I really do mean that.

regards Jane
March 9, 2005 3:29:20 AM

AVG is good, jane.

: Sorry Ron,
: I didnt mean to be so abrupt, things really havent gone my
: way in the last week regarding comp' whether it be at college,
: home, or in the n/g's.
: I am trying my best, I really do mean that.
:
: regards Jane
:
:
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:18:20 AM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:24:01 +1030, jane wrote:

> Because, Ron,
> I only have Limited Funds and Norton was bought and paid
> for by my husband way before I found these newsgroups.
>
> Of course, if you wish to send me a subscription to another AV
> that is paid for, then please feel free...... I am just doing the
> best I can with what I have at the moment.
>
> regards Jane

I use Avast. It's free and works well for me. And it's easy to terminate
for any new installs, right click on the icon in the task bar and choose
terminate. http://www.avast.com/

Patty
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:20:54 AM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:09:27 +1030, jane wrote:

> [...]

I have not used Norton in a long time, but back when they had it on the
computers at work, if I recall correctly, you right clicked on the icon in
the task bar and it gave you options for turning it off.

Patty
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:47:18 AM

Okay okay okay,
I 'think' i now have it figured out. (btw, its 2am and I'm due in
college at 8, this first though).
My treasured Edrive has now become my Ddrive, (in win98, cos
thats what it shows) and as such, ALL of my Icons whose paths
relate to E: as their Root havent got a clue where home is.
(please feel free to jump in and tell me I am wrong if I am )
So, no-one told me this would happen, or prepared me for it if this
in fact what has happened.
IF, this is what has happened, does it mean I have to go into EVERY SINGLE
UTILITY AND PROGRAM that I put into E:
that has a shortcut and change it to another drive-letter?.
At the moment my whole win98 in explorer has changed as there is
a whole drive/partition that seems to be missing.
The Ddrive I formatted to accept XP now looks like it contains ALL
of the things that my Edrive contained.
I am starting to come to terms with this as I have been told that
win98 Cant see XP, but xp can see win98.
I guess the only part I havent got my teeth around yet is the fact that
XP still sees my EDRIVE as haveing all its goodies on it, but my
WIN98 doesnt even see and EDRIVE but instead sees a DDRIVE
with all of my E: stuff on it.
(damn but this can get confusing, specially at two in the morning.)
think I will leave it here and sleep on it.

regards Jane
March 9, 2005 4:47:19 AM

Agreed, get some sleep jane and I hope you can figure it out. I also hope
you have back-ups. I will let Gary S. Terhune or another MVP who is more
qualified than me walk you back to where you need to be since they know more
than me and thus have MVP status.

jane wrote:
> My treasured Edrive has now become my Ddrive,

Letter Assigner
http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig/

Not meant for XP but should work fine when in Win98.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
March 9, 2005 4:47:19 AM

You've essentially hidden the volume containing XP from 98 and
in doing so have reordered some drive letters. Drive letters in
9x/DOS are transient and follow specific rules.

From a DOS prompt, run

fdisk /status

and copy/paste the output into a reply, so we can see exactly how
your drive(s) and volumes are set up.

I wouldn't attempt to re-associate your programs to D: There are
a lot of registry entries that will be wrong as well as the shortcuts.

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message news:eQC7NE$IFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Okay okay okay,
> I 'think' i now have it figured out. (btw, its 2am and I'm due in
> college at 8, this first though).
> My treasured Edrive has now become my Ddrive, (in win98, cos
> thats what it shows) and as such, ALL of my Icons whose paths
> relate to E: as their Root havent got a clue where home is.
> (please feel free to jump in and tell me I am wrong if I am )
> So, no-one told me this would happen, or prepared me for it if this
> in fact what has happened.
> IF, this is what has happened, does it mean I have to go into EVERY SINGLE
> UTILITY AND PROGRAM that I put into E:
> that has a shortcut and change it to another drive-letter?.
> At the moment my whole win98 in explorer has changed as there is
> a whole drive/partition that seems to be missing.
> The Ddrive I formatted to accept XP now looks like it contains ALL
> of the things that my Edrive contained.
> I am starting to come to terms with this as I have been told that
> win98 Cant see XP, but xp can see win98.
> I guess the only part I havent got my teeth around yet is the fact that
> XP still sees my EDRIVE as haveing all its goodies on it, but my
> WIN98 doesnt even see and EDRIVE but instead sees a DDRIVE
> with all of my E: stuff on it.
> (damn but this can get confusing, specially at two in the morning.)
> think I will leave it here and sleep on it.
>
> regards Jane

March 9, 2005 4:47:20 AM

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> Agreed, get some sleep jane and I hope you can figure it out. I also hope
> you have back-ups. I will let Gary S. Terhune or another MVP who is more
> qualified than me walk you back to where you need to be since they know
> more
> than me and thus have MVP status.
>
> "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> : Okay okay okay,
> : I 'think' i now have it figured out. (btw, its 2am and I'm due in
> : college at 8, this first though).
> : My treasured Edrive has now become my Ddrive, (in win98, cos
> : thats what it shows) and as such, ALL of my Icons whose paths
> : relate to E: as their Root havent got a clue where home is.
> : (please feel free to jump in and tell me I am wrong if I am )
> : So, no-one told me this would happen, or prepared me for it if this
> : in fact what has happened.
> : IF, this is what has happened, does it mean I have to go into EVERY
> SINGLE
> : UTILITY AND PROGRAM that I put into E:
> : that has a shortcut and change it to another drive-letter?.
> : At the moment my whole win98 in explorer has changed as there is
> : a whole drive/partition that seems to be missing.
> : The Ddrive I formatted to accept XP now looks like it contains ALL
> : of the things that my Edrive contained.
> : I am starting to come to terms with this as I have been told that
> : win98 Cant see XP, but xp can see win98.
> : I guess the only part I havent got my teeth around yet is the fact that
> : XP still sees my EDRIVE as haveing all its goodies on it, but my
> : WIN98 doesnt even see and EDRIVE but instead sees a DDRIVE
> : with all of my E: stuff on it.
> : (damn but this can get confusing, specially at two in the morning.)
> : think I will leave it here and sleep on it.
> :
> : regards Jane
> :
> :

Hi Jane,

can't you go into win98 and assign (your now ddrive) to E: ? wouldn't
that work for you ?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:47:20 AM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:51:01 -0700, Dan wrote:

> Agreed, get some sleep jane and I hope you can figure it out. I also hope
> you have back-ups. I will let Gary S. Terhune or another MVP who is more
> qualified than me walk you back to where you need to be since they know more
> than me and thus have MVP status.

Did she format the new drive for XP with NTFS rather than FAT? That could
be why 98 doesn't see it.

Patty
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:47:21 AM

Haggis wrote:
> Hi Jane,
>
> can't you go into win98 and assign (your now ddrive) to E: ?
> wouldn't that work for you ?

No, assuming that D: is a HDD (I've lost track). CD/DVD drive letters
can be user set but not HDD (without 3rd party app).

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
March 10, 2005 10:01:02 PM

WHY is every one so damn fussed about my AV?
It is bought and paid for and doesnt run out til November
2005................... it is not an issue!!!!

regards Jane
March 10, 2005 10:01:03 PM

Whoa, take it easy there girl --- you get hyped up just like me and maybe
take a few deep long breaths, have some alcohol -- if you like that, get some
sleep, maybe a warm bath, and watch a movie, enjoy nature and just enjoy life
and appreciate all the good things that God has given us and life will look
up. Imo, computers need to be fun and should not become an idol in your
life. I needed to repent for my computer becoming an idol in my life
recently in church after a sermon from the pastor.

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:o cXjIqUJFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
:
:

Everyone is not fussed about your AV program. You said:

> Of course, if you wish to send me a subscription to another AV
> that is paid for, then please feel free...... I am just doing the
> best I can with what I have at the moment.

Patty felt free to send you a "subscription" to another AV program--namely
the free one she uses.

I merely commented on your AV program because I have often seen your name in
the groups and I found it strange you would be using Norton knowing the
possible problems it causes and the fact that it is bloatware that puts its
tentacles throughout your system.
--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:o cXjIqUJFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> WHY is every one so damn fussed about my AV?
> It is bought and paid for and doesnt run out til November
> 2005................... it is not an issue!!!!
>

> regards Jane

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:01:03 PM

Wait a minute! If you're going to mud-wrestle Patty, wait for me to get
my binoculars! And I'm sure Colorado will want to be here!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:o cXjIqUJFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

| WHY is every one so damn fussed about my AV?
| It is bought and paid for and doesnt run out til November
| 2005................... it is not an issue!!!!
|

| regards Jane

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:05:29 PM

> Norton ASAP because it is junkware, IMO.

Young Daniel, I have Norton because it works........
is that good enough for you now.

Why did you need XP?

Are you DEAF????/ Go read my posts,
and you will see why I want/need XP.
March 10, 2005 10:05:30 PM

Temper, temper -- I know things are tough and you probably hate computers and
are venting your rage on me as people who get annoyed by their day like to
vent at me at my workplace.

Decides to run away from the fierce fire-breathing Jane -- Too Hot and must
hide now from wrathful Jane. :<

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:o YmJosUJFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
:
: > Norton ASAP because it is junkware, IMO.
:
: Young Daniel, I have Norton because it works........
: is that good enough for you now.
:
: Why did you need XP?
:
: Are you DEAF????/ Go read my posts,
: and you will see why I want/need XP.
:
:
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:05:30 PM

(a) R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver tab", and
(b) Select "Flying Windows" & click Preview, and
(c) Every three seconds, repeat...

"Norton & XP are poison.
I MUST uninstall them, ESPECIALLY XP!"

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:o YmJosUJFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

| > Norton ASAP because it is junkware, IMO.
|
| Young Daniel, I have Norton because it works........
| is that good enough for you now.
|
| Why did you need XP?
|
| Are you DEAF????/ Go read my posts,
| and you will see why I want/need XP.

March 10, 2005 10:05:31 PM

Dr. PCR, is your diagnosis that Jane has suffered a severe form of XP
radiation poisoning?

: (a) R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver tab", and
: (b) Select "Flying Windows" & click Preview, and
: (c) Every three seconds, repeat...
:
: "Norton & XP are poison.
: I MUST uninstall them, ESPECIALLY XP!"
:
:
: --
: Thanks or Good Luck,
: There may be humor in this post, and,
: Naturally, you will not sue,
: should things get worse after this,
: PCR
: pcrrcp@netzero.net
: "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
: news:o YmJosUJFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: |
: | > Norton ASAP because it is junkware, IMO.
: |
: | Young Daniel, I have Norton because it works........
: | is that good enough for you now.
: |
: | Why did you need XP?
: |
: | Are you DEAF????/ Go read my posts,
: | and you will see why I want/need XP.
: |
: |
:
:
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:30:44 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:41:15 -0500, PCR wrote:

> Wait a minute! If you're going to mud-wrestle Patty, wait for me to get
> my binoculars! And I'm sure Colorado will want to be here!

Actually I was responding to DadiOH who said there were a lot of free AV
programs out there. I'm happy with Avast which is a free one. I was only
offering a suggestion that anyone can take or ignore per their choice. Not
sure about all the mud wrestling stuff. ;o)

Patty
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:24:33 PM

Oh. Well, Avast is likely the one I will try, the day McAfee discovers I
still get it free, (but shhhh). Oops, I think I may have mentioned you
one place else about that mud-wrestling. So, expect some company in this
thread soon.

--
"Patty" <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net> wrote in message
| On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:41:15 -0500, PCR wrote:
|
| > Wait a minute! If you're going to mud-wrestle Patty, wait for me to
get
| > my binoculars! And I'm sure Colorado will want to be here!
|
| Actually I was responding to DadiOH who said there were a lot of free
AV
| programs out there. I'm happy with Avast which is a free one. I was
only
| offering a suggestion that anyone can take or ignore per their choice.
Not
| sure about all the mud wrestling stuff. ;o)
|
| Patty
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:27:32 PM

I don't know. I'm expecting Brian A. to arrive shortly to diagnose her!

--
| Dr. PCR, is your diagnosis that Jane has suffered a severe form of XP
| radiation poisoning?

| : (a) R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver tab", and
| : (b) Select "Flying Windows" & click Preview, and
| : (c) Every three seconds, repeat...
| :
| : "Norton & XP are poison.
| : I MUST uninstall them, ESPECIALLY XP!"
| :
| :
| : --
| : Thanks or Good Luck,
| : There may be humor in this post, and,
| : Naturally, you will not sue,
| : should things get worse after this,
| : PCR
| : pcrrcp@netzero.net
| : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
| : news:o YmJosUJFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| : |
| : | > Norton ASAP because it is junkware, IMO.
| : |
| : | Young Daniel, I have Norton because it works........
| : | is that good enough for you now.
| : |
| : | Why did you need XP?
| : |
| : | Are you DEAF????/ Go read my posts,
| : | and you will see why I want/need XP.
| : |
| : |
| :
| :

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:53:19 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:24:33 -0500, PCR wrote:

> Oh. Well, Avast is likely the one I will try, the day McAfee discovers I
> still get it free, (but shhhh). Oops, I think I may have mentioned you
> one place else about that mud-wrestling. So, expect some company in this
> thread soon.

I got McAfee virus data updates for free for a very long time. I had been
using McAfee for years, from back when it was still shareware (old DOS
days). With version 5, however, I had so many problems with my system and
98SE running it (severe slowdowns) that I began looking for alternatives.
We had Norton at work and I was never happy with that system hog. I think
one of the computer magazines wrote an article on virus software and Avast
was included in the article with very good reviews which is why I took a
stab with it and, as I've said, I've been happy. There have been a few
issues with their newest release and some firewalls, but it appears that
they are working to resolve the issue and there are some workarounds
available. Avast has a pretty good forum as well for help and information.
It can be accessed from their website.

I'll have to look for that mud-wrestling comment. ;o)

Patty
March 11, 2005 12:54:39 PM

I was wondering why you liked Avast better than AVG Patty? I know that the
constant scanning of Avast and the interface in Avast annoyed me when I
tested it once.

[...]
March 12, 2005 10:45:02 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:54:39 -0700, Dan wrote:

> I was wondering why you liked Avast better than AVG Patty? I know that the
> constant scanning of Avast and the interface in Avast annoyed me when I
> tested it once.

In the early versions, Avast had some quirks. Like the way it set up email
to be scanned. A later version solved that little quirk (it had to do with
setting the POP and SMTP server to route back through your computer in
order to be scanned). I don't notice any constant scanning, it just sits
in the background pretty much like all antivirus programs and only does an
actual scan of your computer when you call it up to do so. I have it
installed on three systems now, XP-Pro, 98SE and ME. It works well on all
of them. As far as the interface (if you mean the skins) you can turn the
feature off and you get a nice plain box with text that is simpler. I guess
I just didn't like AVGs format, and there for a while, there was a problem
with getting updates. Either software is good, IMO. I guess you just have
to try them and see which you like better.

Patty
March 12, 2005 7:20:21 PM

Thanks Patty. Perhaps I will give Avast another try on my 98SE side.
<smile>

:
[...]
January 20, 2008 12:01:30 PM

from what i gather jane you have two hard drives c: and d: c=win98 and you want to dual boot xp on drive d: but you are doing it from win98 desktop and thats why norton is giving you hassle,,, what you should do is boot your pc from the winxp cd and do a fressh install but at the point where you choose its path switch it to d:\ and all will be ok :)
!