Should I upgrade my win98se pc...........

I see. Thank you for your advise about my hard drive size. I don't
think I can hook up a 2nd hard drive to my pc. There isn't enough space
for that according to some systems guy I spoke to at work. He also
seemed to think that there wasn't the right connection inside or
something. For the moment I will leave my poor pc alone. I will use xp
on the laptop I plan to buy and keep win98se on my old pc, well unless I
get the urge to upgrade it to xp but I think from what people have said
here that, that would be a bad idea.
Thanks again

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

While you haven't told us how much free space you currently have you may
simply not have sufficient free space remaining to make it feasible.
It's also true that repartitioning carries a certain amount of risk.
I've done it hundreds of times, but I can't say they've *all* gone
without a hitch. The separate HD is definitely the better solution, and
I'm surprised that your system wouldn't have room for another, but then
again, I don't know what system we're dealing with.

But, since you have an XP system to familiarize yourself with, you're
definitely wise to not mess with the other system.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1lkyzz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
it
> > on
> > the second partiton (second drive in this case). After you get it
> > installed, you'll have the option to boot into XP or 98 when you
boot
> > up.
> > Your Windows 98 files will be visible from XP, but your XP drive
will
> > not
> > be visible from Windows 98. Unless you choose to format the second
> > drive
> > in Fat 32 instead of NTFS (not recommended).
> > If you try to partiton your present drive (which can be dangerous)
you
> > will severely limit the amount of free disk space you have for both
> > systems.
> >
> > --
> > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well you do have until 30 June 2006 for updates to 98SE and it does indeed
look like you may be better of waiting until you need a new machine and then
buying XP on it or if you like you can save up money and radically upgrade
your old machine but that may end up costing you more money than just buying
a new machine later on.

:
: Menno Hershberger Wrote:
: > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com wrote in
: > news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com:
: > -
: >
[...]
: > --
: > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
:
:
: --
: PSYCHOPIXIE

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Gary does using BootItNG carry a large amount of risk as well. I am
considering repartioning my XPPRO side and would like your opinion on this.
Also I am using the default boot.ini with some changes and how is this likely
to affect my dual 98SE/XPPRO. side if I decide to repartition XPPRO. I
currently have 98SE on one large Fat32 partiton and XPPRO on one large NTFS
partion but I am considering tightening things up in my system and would
appreciate any advice that you could give to me. Thanks in advace and have a
wonderful day.

: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: > Menno Hershberger Wrote:
: > > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com wrote in
: > > news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com:
: > > -
: > >
[...]
: > > --
: > > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
: mother. ---
: >
: >
: > --
: > PSYCHOPIXIE
:

I used the phrase, "a certain amount of risk", and went on to indicate
what I meant by that. I don't see how I can make myself any clearer than
that.

If you intend to separate your existing systems from each other, there
are definitely some things you need to do with regard to the XP boot
management files, but I'm not the one to explain it. I think I did it
once, about three years ago. Ask in the XP groups, or in the forums at
BootItNG.com

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]
> : boot
> : > > up.
> : > > Your Windows 98 files will be visible from XP, but your XP drive
> : will
> : > > not
> : > > be visible from Windows 98. Unless you choose to format the
second
> : > > drive
> : > > in Fat 32 instead of NTFS (not recommended).
> : > > If you try to partiton your present drive (which can be
dangerous)
> : you
> : > > will severely limit the amount of free disk space you have for
both
> : > > systems.
> : > >
> : > > --
> : > > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

All right, I will follow your advice, Gary. Perhaps your next article can be
about this issue -- hint, hint -- evil grin <eg>

: > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
: > news:eT08l%23HJFHA.3812@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > : While you haven't told us how much free space you currently have you
: may
: > : simply not have sufficient free space remaining to make it feasible.
: > : It's also true that repartitioning carries a certain amount of risk.
: > : I've done it hundreds of times, but I can't say they've *all* gone
: > : without a hitch. The separate HD is definitely the better solution,
: and
: > : I'm surprised that your system wouldn't have room for another, but
: then
: > : again, I don't know what system we're dealing with.
: > :
: > : But, since you have an XP system to familiarize yourself with,
: you're
: > : definitely wise to not mess with the other system.
: > :
: > : --
: > : Gary S. Terhune
: > : MS MVP Shell/User
: > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: > :
: > : "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1lkyzz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in
: message
: > : news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lkyzz@news.win98banter.com...
: > : >
: > : > Menno Hershberger Wrote:
: > : > > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com wrote in
: > : > > news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com:
: > : > > -
: > : > >
[...]
: > : > > --
: > : > > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
: > : mother. ---
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : > PSYCHOPIXIE
: > :
: >
: >
:

Good Lord, Dan. Can't you read? I told you, I'm *not* the one to explain
it all. There are better and more current places to learn about these
issues and I gave you two of them.

By the way, in any thread where I have already participated, there is no
need to add "Att: Gary S. Terhune" to the subject line. I read every
single post in threads to which I have contributed. In fact, I generally
read *every* post unless I've been gone for a very long time. But I
usually read "my" threads first.

--

> [...]
> : > : > > up.
> : > : > > Your Windows 98 files will be visible from XP, but your XP
drive
> : > : will
> : > : > > not
> : > : > > be visible from Windows 98. Unless you choose to format the
> : second
> : > : > > drive
> : > : > > in Fat 32 instead of NTFS (not recommended).
> : > : > > If you try to partiton your present drive (which can be
> : dangerous)
> : > : you
> : > : > > will severely limit the amount of free disk space you have
for
> : both
> : > : > > systems.
> : > : > >
> : > : > > --
> : > : > > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I understand and will comply with your requests. Have a great day!

[...]
: > : > :
: > : > : But, since you have an XP system to familiarize yourself with,
: > : you're
: > : > : definitely wise to not mess with the other system.
: > : > :
: > : > : --
: > : > : Gary S. Terhune
: > : > : MS MVP Shell/User
: > : > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > : > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: > : > :
: > : > : "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1lkyzz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in
: > : message
: > : > : news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lkyzz@news.win98banter.com...
: > : > : >
: > : > : > Menno Hershberger Wrote:
: > : > : > > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com wrote in
: > : > : > > news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com:
: > : > : > > -
: > : > : > >
[...]
: > : > : > > --
: > : > : > > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
: > : > : mother. ---
: > : > : >
: > : > : > PSYCHOPIXIE
: > : > :