Network password

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 8, 2005 11:31:05 AM

Dear Windowers,

at each startup my Windows 98se laptop keeps asking me for a network password.

I am not aware I have set one, so at every startup when I receive the
network password screen I just press escape and the computer continues to
startup.

This is however very inefficient and annoying. Does anyone knows how I can
get rid of the network password screen at startup?

I do have a wireless lan connection with an accesspoint for internet, but I
do not have setup an inhouse network with other PC's.

Please let me know.

Best regards,
Wing

More about : network password

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:00:23 PM

Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and select Windows
Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and ensure the "all
user's" box is marked. If you have a password established, go to control
panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password in the old box,
leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have forgotten your
password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is ron.pwl);
however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the .pwl file.
If you do not have a password established or have deleted the .pwl file,
when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name only and hit
OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak UI
installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
user."

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"wing007" <wing007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Windowers,
>
> at each startup my Windows 98se laptop keeps asking me for a network
> password.
>
> I am not aware I have set one, so at every startup when I receive the
> network password screen I just press escape and the computer continues to
> startup.
>
> This is however very inefficient and annoying. Does anyone knows how I can
> get rid of the network password screen at startup?
>
> I do have a wireless lan connection with an accesspoint for internet, but
> do not have setup an inhouse network with other PC's.
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Wing
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:35:15 AM

On 3/8/05 10:01 PM India Time, _wing007_ wrote:

> Dear Windowers,
>
> at each startup my Windows 98se laptop keeps asking me for a network password.
>
> I am not aware I have set one, so at every startup when I receive the
> network password screen I just press escape and the computer continues to
> startup.
>
> This is however very inefficient and annoying. Does anyone knows how I can
> get rid of the network password screen at startup?
>
> I do have a wireless lan connection with an accesspoint for internet, but I
> do not have setup an inhouse network with other PC's.
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Wing

If you are on a lan, shouldn't it ask you a password?

Anyway, do it as your need:

Start-Settings-ControlPanel-Network

Under PrimaryNetworkLogon

select "Microsoft family logon" or windows logon.

----
It if, then, asks you windows password:

go to your active windows folder (C:\windows)

delete all files *.pwl to remove existing passwords.
Next time when it asks password, press enter to set a "null"
password. It will not bother you again.

You can also set the windows password to "null" with
Settings-ControlPanel-passwords.

--
Rawat
!