Network password

Dear Windowers,

at each startup my Windows 98se laptop keeps asking me for a network password.

I am not aware I have set one, so at every startup when I receive the
network password screen I just press escape and the computer continues to
startup.

This is however very inefficient and annoying. Does anyone knows how I can
get rid of the network password screen at startup?

I do have a wireless lan connection with an accesspoint for internet, but I
do not have setup an inhouse network with other PC's.

Please let me know.

Best regards,
Wing
3 answers Last reply
More about network password

    Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and select Windows
    Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and ensure the "all
    user's" box is marked. If you have a password established, go to control
    panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password in the old box,
    leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have forgotten your
    password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is ron.pwl);
    however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the .pwl file.
    If you do not have a password established or have deleted the .pwl file,
    when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name only and hit
    OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak UI
    installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
    user."

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    On 3/8/05 10:01 PM India Time, _wing007_ wrote:

    > Dear Windowers,
    >
    > at each startup my Windows 98se laptop keeps asking me for a network password.
    >
    > I am not aware I have set one, so at every startup when I receive the
    > network password screen I just press escape and the computer continues to
    > startup.
    >
    > This is however very inefficient and annoying. Does anyone knows how I can
    > get rid of the network password screen at startup?
    >
    > I do have a wireless lan connection with an accesspoint for internet, but I
    > do not have setup an inhouse network with other PC's.
    >
    > Please let me know.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Wing

    If you are on a lan, shouldn't it ask you a password?

    Anyway, do it as your need:

    Start-Settings-ControlPanel-Network

    Under PrimaryNetworkLogon

    select "Microsoft family logon" or windows logon.

    ----
    It if, then, asks you windows password:

    go to your active windows folder (C:\windows)

    delete all files *.pwl to remove existing passwords.
    Next time when it asks password, press enter to set a "null"
    password. It will not bother you again.

    You can also set the windows password to "null" with
    Settings-ControlPanel-passwords.

    --
    Rawat

    Not required.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    > If you are on a lan, shouldn't it ask you a password?
    >
    > --
    > Rawat

Windows