Windows 98 SE Upgrade

Cowboy0001

I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished? Thank
you SOOOO much. Kevin

"Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
> Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
Thank
> you SOOOO much. Kevin

Normally, the obvious thing to do is to buy
the Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD,
or the cheaper Update CD, if you can find it.

In the case of a laptop though, you should check
with the vendor first to see if there are any issues
that you need to be aware of.

Cowboy0001

Hugh, thanks for your comment. I am not aware of any issues that should pose
a problem with the upgrade to the Second Edition but I will make a call to
Compaq. Thanks a bunch. Have a great day... Kevin

"Hugh Candlin" wrote:

> "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
> > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
> Thank
> > you SOOOO much. Kevin
>
> Normally, the obvious thing to do is to buy
> the Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD,
> or the cheaper Update CD, if you can find it.
>
> In the case of a laptop though, you should check
> with the vendor first to see if there are any issues
> that you need to be aware of.

Compaqs are also special cases. At least they were for a long time. Not
sure how they're built since HP bought the company. I *think* you can
upgrade an installed Win98 to Win98SE, but you can't clean-install
except using a disk from Compaq.

Which brings up the other issue. Quite frequently, upgrading an existing
system to SE from FE ("First Edition", or "Gold") returns unsatisfactory
results, since a fully updated FE has lot of stuff that's *newer* than
SE. DLL Hell is not an uncommon result, also broken patches, broken
apps, even. Some people report not noticing any adverse effects, but it
may simply be that they don't know that a patch is no longer functioning
properly.

In short, even if the upgrade doesn't trash your system in any dramatic
manner (which is always a possibility with installations and upgrades),
it may still damage it in mostly unseen or unattributable ways. If you
do go the upgrade route, instead of a clean install, be *sure* your
personal data is well backed up.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Hugh, thanks for your comment. I am not aware of any issues that
should pose
> a problem with the upgrade to the Second Edition but I will make a
call to
> Compaq. Thanks a bunch. Have a great day... Kevin
>
> "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
>

> > "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98
Second
> > > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this
accomplished?
> > Thank
> > > you SOOOO much. Kevin
> >
> > Normally, the obvious thing to do is to buy
> > the Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD,
> > or the cheaper Update CD, if you can find it.
> >
> > In the case of a laptop though, you should check
> > with the vendor first to see if there are any issues
> > that you need to be aware of.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hugh or anyone else --- Can you please explain the problems of applying 98SE
to a laptop as compared to a desktop? Thanks in advance for the information.
I appreciate it. Have a great day!

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
:
: "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:C237700C-CC75-407B-908B-0422A5F1C79D@microsoft.com...
:
: > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
: > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
: Thank
: > you SOOOO much. Kevin
:
: Normally, the obvious thing to do is to buy
: the Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD,
: or the cheaper Update CD, if you can find it.
:
: In the case of a laptop though, you should check
: with the vendor first to see if there are any issues
: that you need to be aware of.
:
:

Hello

I would say yes upgrade to XP. Buy the Upgrade addition (about $100 home
edition and $200 professional). But first make sure you have the minimum
system requirments. (If you have minimum requirments xp will run slow and you
wont get the full thing and it will run slower. If you meet recommended
requirments the go for it!)

Click here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx to
check the system requirement for home edition

Click here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx for
minimun requirments for professional edition

(personally home edition is all u need unless ur in a businedd w/ a domain
and large networks)

After that is done put in the cd-rom and follow the instructions! Good Luck!

Computergeek

"Cowboy0001" wrote:

> I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
> Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished? Thank
> you SOOOO much. Kevin

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

"Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
> Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
Thank
> you SOOOO much. Kevin

If memory serves me, you'd have to totally re-intall 98se. I don't think
there was an upgrade disk. Too bad.
=Pete

HAGGIS

"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
>> Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
> Thank
>> you SOOOO much. Kevin
>
> If memory serves me, you'd have to totally re-intall 98se. I don't think
> there was an upgrade disk. Too bad.
> =Pete

this is and "win98se upgrade" disk out there ...you will probably have to
find it on ebay or the like tho

Cowboy0001

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
> >> Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
> > Thank
> >> you SOOOO much. Kevin
> >
> > If memory serves me, you'd have to totally re-intall 98se. I don't think
> > there was an upgrade disk. Too bad.
> > =Pete
> >

> this is and "win98se upgrade" disk out there ...you will probably have to
> find it on ebay or the like tho
>

> Pete, thanks but there is a first edition and a second edition Win98. Hagis, thanks, I am looking for an upgrade CD now. I am surprised that they are still selling for 30-40 dollars, still. Have a great day people... Kevin

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am not sure if the user will be ready for XPPRO and also the core of XP PRO
is NT based which is weaker than 9x based but I do not want to go into
details since I just sent a 9 page letter to Bill Gates about why the
underlying core of XPPRO which is based on NT (New Technology aka Not There)
is weak and needs to be overhauled unless Microsoft wants Apple, Linux,
Google, Mozilla, et. all to be the future of computing.

"Computergeek" <Computergeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Hello
:
:

Dan wrote:
> Hugh or anyone else --- Can you please explain the problems of applying 98SE
> to a laptop as compared to a desktop? Thanks in advance for the information.
> I appreciate it. Have a great day!

Hi!
Depending on manufacturers, some create a miniscule (Unix) partition on
the hard drive where the hardware and OS are checked for authenticity on
boot and refuse to recognise "mongrels".
Others, usually a "little older" have well used floppies and CD drives
which simple refuse to perform on fresh install. On such I usually
remove the hard drive connect it to my desktop, fdisk, format and sys,
transfer the win98 directory to it, return back, boot and setup.
Mostly works.

But this is a territory well watched by Mr. Murphy so be ready for
supprises.

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.