Windows 98 SE Upgrade

I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished? Thank
you SOOOO much. Kevin
10 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade

    "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
    > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
    Thank
    > you SOOOO much. Kevin

    Normally, the obvious thing to do is to buy
    the Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD,
    or the cheaper Update CD, if you can find it.

    In the case of a laptop though, you should check
    with the vendor first to see if there are any issues
    that you need to be aware of.

    Hugh, thanks for your comment. I am not aware of any issues that should pose
    a problem with the upgrade to the Second Edition but I will make a call to
    Compaq. Thanks a bunch. Have a great day... Kevin

    "Hugh Candlin" wrote:

    > "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
    > > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
    > Thank
    > > you SOOOO much. Kevin
    >
    > Normally, the obvious thing to do is to buy
    > the Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD,
    > or the cheaper Update CD, if you can find it.
    >
    > In the case of a laptop though, you should check
    > with the vendor first to see if there are any issues
    > that you need to be aware of.

    Compaqs are also special cases. At least they were for a long time. Not
    sure how they're built since HP bought the company. I *think* you can
    upgrade an installed Win98 to Win98SE, but you can't clean-install
    except using a disk from Compaq.

    Which brings up the other issue. Quite frequently, upgrading an existing
    system to SE from FE ("First Edition", or "Gold") returns unsatisfactory
    results, since a fully updated FE has lot of stuff that's *newer* than
    SE. DLL Hell is not an uncommon result, also broken patches, broken
    apps, even. Some people report not noticing any adverse effects, but it
    may simply be that they don't know that a patch is no longer functioning
    properly.

    In short, even if the upgrade doesn't trash your system in any dramatic
    manner (which is always a possibility with installations and upgrades),
    it may still damage it in mostly unseen or unattributable ways. If you
    do go the upgrade route, instead of a clean install, be *sure* your
    personal data is well backed up.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Hugh, thanks for your comment. I am not aware of any issues that
    should pose
    > a problem with the upgrade to the Second Edition but I will make a
    call to
    > Compaq. Thanks a bunch. Have a great day... Kevin
    >
    > "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
    >

    > > "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98
    Second
    > > > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this
    accomplished?
    > > Thank
    > > > you SOOOO much. Kevin
    > >
    > > Normally, the obvious thing to do is to buy
    > > the Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD,
    > > or the cheaper Update CD, if you can find it.
    > >
    > > In the case of a laptop though, you should check
    > > with the vendor first to see if there are any issues
    > > that you need to be aware of.

    Hugh or anyone else --- Can you please explain the problems of applying 98SE
    to a laptop as compared to a desktop? Thanks in advance for the information.
    I appreciate it. Have a great day!

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
    :
    : "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : news:C237700C-CC75-407B-908B-0422A5F1C79D@microsoft.com...
    :
    : > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
    : > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
    : Thank
    : > you SOOOO much. Kevin
    :
    : Normally, the obvious thing to do is to buy
    : the Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD,
    : or the cheaper Update CD, if you can find it.
    :
    : In the case of a laptop though, you should check
    : with the vendor first to see if there are any issues
    : that you need to be aware of.
    :
    :

    Hello

    I would say yes upgrade to XP. Buy the Upgrade addition (about $100 home
    edition and $200 professional). But first make sure you have the minimum
    system requirments. (If you have minimum requirments xp will run slow and you
    wont get the full thing and it will run slower. If you meet recommended
    requirments the go for it!)

    Click here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx to
    check the system requirement for home edition

    Click here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx for
    minimun requirments for professional edition

    (personally home edition is all u need unless ur in a businedd w/ a domain
    and large networks)

    After that is done put in the cd-rom and follow the instructions! Good Luck!

    Computergeek

    "Cowboy0001" wrote:

    > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
    > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished? Thank
    > you SOOOO much. Kevin

    "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
    > Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
    Thank
    > you SOOOO much. Kevin

    If memory serves me, you'd have to totally re-intall 98se. I don't think
    there was an upgrade disk. Too bad.
    =Pete

    "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
    >> Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
    > Thank
    >> you SOOOO much. Kevin
    >
    > If memory serves me, you'd have to totally re-intall 98se. I don't think
    > there was an upgrade disk. Too bad.
    > =Pete

    this is and "win98se upgrade" disk out there ...you will probably have to
    find it on ebay or the like tho

    "Haggis" wrote:

    > "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Cowboy0001" <Cowboy0001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a laptop with 98 First Edition. I need to upgrade it to 98 Second
    > >> Edition. Can anyone advise what I should do to get this accomplished?
    > > Thank
    > >> you SOOOO much. Kevin
    > >
    > > If memory serves me, you'd have to totally re-intall 98se. I don't think
    > > there was an upgrade disk. Too bad.
    > > =Pete
    > >

    > this is and "win98se upgrade" disk out there ...you will probably have to
    > find it on ebay or the like tho
    >

    > Pete, thanks but there is a first edition and a second edition Win98. Hagis, thanks, I am looking for an upgrade CD now. I am surprised that they are still selling for 30-40 dollars, still. Have a great day people... Kevin

    I am not sure if the user will be ready for XPPRO and also the core of XP PRO
    is NT based which is weaker than 9x based but I do not want to go into
    details since I just sent a 9 page letter to Bill Gates about why the
    underlying core of XPPRO which is based on NT (New Technology aka Not There)
    is weak and needs to be overhauled unless Microsoft wants Apple, Linux,
    Google, Mozilla, et. all to be the future of computing.

    "Computergeek" <Computergeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : Hello
    :
    :

    Dan wrote:
    > Hugh or anyone else --- Can you please explain the problems of applying 98SE
    > to a laptop as compared to a desktop? Thanks in advance for the information.
    > I appreciate it. Have a great day!

    Hi!
    Depending on manufacturers, some create a miniscule (Unix) partition on
    the hard drive where the hardware and OS are checked for authenticity on
    boot and refuse to recognise "mongrels".
    Others, usually a "little older" have well used floppies and CD drives
    which simple refuse to perform on fresh install. On such I usually
    remove the hard drive connect it to my desktop, fdisk, format and sys,
    transfer the win98 directory to it, return back, boot and setup.
    Mostly works.

    But this is a territory well watched by Mr. Murphy so be ready for
    supprises.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.