SIP VOIP Question

I'm totally new at VOIP. I thought I would test the technology by
downloading X-Lite from the Free World Dialup site. I got everything
configured, but I'm having mixed results getting things working. I can
sometimes get the test calls (to the 613 number) to work, but not very
often. When I schedule a call using the FWD site, the incoming call does
not arrive.

My computer is located behind a Linksys router. Do I have to change the
configuration in the router to forward any special ports (I thought SIP was
suppose to make things work thru NAT)???

If I do have to forward ports, how do I handle the situation where I have
multiple computer users on my LAN who want to use VOIP?

Thanks,
--
Mike Schumann

Mike Schumann wrote:
> I'm totally new at VOIP. I thought I would test the technology by
> downloading X-Lite from the Free World Dialup site. I got everything
> configured, but I'm having mixed results getting things working. I can
> sometimes get the test calls (to the 613 number) to work, but not very
> often. When I schedule a call using the FWD site, the incoming call does
> not arrive.
>
> My computer is located behind a Linksys router. Do I have to change the
> configuration in the router to forward any special ports (I thought SIP was
> suppose to make things work thru NAT)???

Yep and nope. SIP has nothing to do with NAT. It is an application
that fails with NAT just like other protocols that carry network info
at the application level.

> If I do have to forward ports, how do I handle the situation where I have
> multiple computer users on my LAN who want to use VOIP?

open port 5060 for signaling and the range of rtp ports for the audio.
which ones and which way depend on who initiates the connection.
You could try stun although I haven't used it. You could also put
your PC outside the firewall just to test before doing anything else.
> Thanks,

By the way FWD works well for me with an IP phone outside of my NAT
box.

Good luck.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:19:01 -0500, "Mike Schumann"
<mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote:

>I'm totally new at VOIP. I thought I would test the technology by
>downloading X-Lite from the Free World Dialup site. I got everything
>configured, but I'm having mixed results getting things working. I can
>sometimes get the test calls (to the 613 number) to work, but not very
>often. When I schedule a call using the FWD site, the incoming call does
>not arrive.

Try the other softphones that FWD offers. Also, make sure that the
softphone is configured for use behind a NAT (you may need to set up
STUN on the softphone)

>My computer is located behind a Linksys router. Do I have to change the
>configuration in the router to forward any special ports (I thought SIP was
>suppose to make things work thru NAT)???
Its not automatic. Check the FWD FAQ for using FWD behind a
firewall/router --
http://www.freeworlddialup.com/support/faq/networking

>If I do have to forward ports, how do I handle the situation where I have
>multiple computer users on my LAN who want to use VOIP?
>
>Thanks,

Also, check out http://www.testyourvoip.com/
and http://www.voiptroubleshooter.com/

Check out the softphone at http://www.lanscape.com. look at Global iNet.
Voice quality and the suport really perfect.

Regards

"Adnan M." <mas-ahm@online.no> wrote in message news:<Iqd_c.4983$WW4.70419@news4.e.nsc.no>...
> Check out the softphone at http://www.lanscape.com. look at Global iNet.
> Voice quality and the suport really perfect.
>
> Regards
>
> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I'm totally new at VOIP. I thought I would test the technology by
> > downloading X-Lite from the Free World Dialup site. I got everything
> > configured, but I'm having mixed results getting things working. I can
> > sometimes get the test calls (to the 613 number) to work, but not very
> > often. When I schedule a call using the FWD site, the incoming call does
> > not arrive.
> >
> > My computer is located behind a Linksys router. Do I have to change the
> > configuration in the router to forward any special ports (I thought SIP
> was
> > suppose to make things work thru NAT)???
> >
> > If I do have to forward ports, how do I handle the situation where I have
> > multiple computer users on my LAN who want to use VOIP?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Mike Schumann

Just want to make a correction regarding Adnan's last post. The URL to
LanScape's web site is http://www.lanscapecorp.com

Look for the Global iNet VOIP service logo in the upper right of the
home page and click on it.

Randal