Chuck Patch + Omega Drivers?

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Hello all!

I recently purchased an ATI X1900XTX. The whole reason I bought this thing was Oblivion.

My question is: Which are better: Catalyst drivers or Omega drivers? There is a "chuck patch" to allow AA + HDR, which is nice, but they only work on Cat 6.3. However, the latest Omega drivers are based on Cat 6.3.

Which gets to the heart of the REAL question, I guess: Will the CHUCK PATCH work with Omega 6.3 drivers?

Thanks!

JavanBuddhi

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
in all probablity, the latest ati drivers have the patch incorporated. Oh and I recommend whole-heartedly to dump ati drivers and jump onto omega or dna drivers.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Well, I won't whole hartedly say that 6.4 has Chuck patch in. As far as I know, most people are using 6.3 with Chuck. 6.4 does have some nagging issues on 1900 hardware, and ATi customer support has advised me to stick with 6.3 until 6.5 comes out.

Misrach

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
I installed 6.4 without the Chuck patch and it does not include the ability to run HDR and AA in Oblivion.

To reiterate the original post, has anyone run the Chuck patch with the Omega driver 6.3?

Also, is there a way to get Windows to bypass the login screen when running .NET?

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Well, the best would be to install omega 6.3 and chuck hotfix, and see if it works.

I'm using .Net 2.0 and I don't have a log on screen - dunno if it's on account of .net 2.0 or the automatic handling I adjusted in Services.

Misrach

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
I tried to install the Chuck patch over the Omega driver 6.3. It totally disabled the ATi Control Panel.

So instead, I downloaded and installed .NET 2.0 (I had version 1.1, per the ATi instructions, since the ATi driver is the only software I had to require .NET), as well as the 6.3 drivers. After I ran Driver Cleaner Pro (including .cab cleaner), I reinstalled the official ATi driver.

With .NET 2.0, I don't get the login screen. I'm not sure if 1.1 had an option to turn it off, but it appears that 2.0 has taken card of that problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've successfully installed the 6.3 driver and the Chuck patch. Oblivion looks great now: 1200x1920 all settings maxed (but grass shadows off -- I don't like how it works -- as well as the faulty self shadows), including HDR and 2xAA.

It's a shame: I prefer the Omega drivers, but with Oblivion I just can't bring myself to keep using them.

Misrach

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Someone should suggest to the Omegadrive d00d to intergrate Chuck patch with upcomming ATi Omega drivers.

Maybe, but he IS producing the drivers for free. I think that ATi should get off their bags of gold and improve their current drivers instead....

As for 1200x1920 rez and AA... well, the effect of AA isn't as noticeable, but there are times when it's greatly appreciated. With HDR, Oblivion will sometimes put a glowing outline around an object or actor that cause some very tiny jaggies. Since the outline is thin, the jaggies are more apparent.

Also, I seem to have an interpolation effect with my ATi card, even at native resolution. At first, I thought that it was a problem with the textures, but even with AAx6 on, there are some jaggies that I cannot get rid of. Keep in mind that I can hardly see these -- who has time to look when you've got a train of Strogg crawling up your butt? -- but when I turn AA on, it also puts a faint "outline" around the edges of my screen.

TRENDING THREADS