Should I upgrade my win98se pc...........

Last time I looked I had about 5-7 gb free on my harddrive. Like I said
before I do have a lot of unnecessary programs on it though so I could
free up more space. I have been poking around on my mothers laptop
which runs xp and have decided to buy a laptop and then if I keep
thinking about it I know I need to take the risk and upgrade to xp on
my pc.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

Hello

I would say yes upgrade to XP. Buy the Upgrade addition (about $100 home
edition and $200 professional). But first make sure you have the minimum
system requirments. (If you have minimum requirments xp will run slow and you
wont get the full thing and it will run slower. If you meet recommended
requirments the go for it!)

Click here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx to
check the system requirement for home edition

Click here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx for
minimun requirments for professional edition

(personally home edition is all u need unless ur in a businedd w/ a domain
and large networks)

After that is done put in the cd-rom and follow the instructions! Good Luck!

Computergeek

"PSYCHOPIXIE" wrote:

> [...]
> > it--
> > on
> > the second partiton (second drive in this case). After you get it
> > installed, you'll have the option to boot into XP or 98 when you--
> > boot--
> > up.
> > Your Windows 98 files will be visible from XP, but your XP drive--
> > will--
> > not
> > be visible from Windows 98. Unless you choose to format the second
> > drive
> > in Fat 32 instead of NTFS (not recommended).
> > If you try to partiton your present drive (which can be dangerous)--
> > you--
> > will severely limit the amount of free disk space you have for both
> > systems.
> >
> > --
> > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your--

Which means you have 6 to 8 GB used. Add 1/3, or approx. 2 to 2.7 GB
(so that the result is 25% free space) and you end up with a minimum
partition size of 8 to 10.7 GB. If it's on the low end of that scale,
you have room to install an XP system--but not much room left over. If
it's actually more like 8 GB now occupied, you simply don't have enough
room left to do more than install the XP OS to play with, with very few
and very small additional apps.

Go with your laptop, and if you later decide to upgrade the desktop, get
another drive for the job.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1lnabz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> > it--
> > on
> > the second partiton (second drive in this case). After you get it
> > installed, you'll have the option to boot into XP or 98 when you--
> > boot--
> > up.
> > Your Windows 98 files will be visible from XP, but your XP drive--
> > will--
> > not
> > be visible from Windows 98. Unless you choose to format the second
> > drive
> > in Fat 32 instead of NTFS (not recommended).
> > If you try to partiton your present drive (which can be dangerous)--
> > you--
> > will severely limit the amount of free disk space you have for both
> > systems.
> >
> > --
> > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your--

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Computergeek, no offense but are you just a chess pawn in one big game that
we are all playing? You posted this exact reply before and no offense but
you are pushing XP which contains dangerous radiation as PCR can tell you.
Also, XP has much higher system requirements than 98SE and imo and Chris
Cquirke, MVP the underlying core of XP needs work. BTW, do you work for
Microsoft? -- -Computergeek and is that why you keep giving the standard
reply about upgrading to XP in a 98(98SE) newsgroup so that you can get more
money for Microsoft. If this is not the case then I apologize for being so
harsh and rash. Have a great life.

"Computergeek" <Computergeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Hello
:
[...]
: "PSYCHOPIXIE" wrote:
:
: >
: > Gary S. Terhune Wrote:
: > > While you haven't told us how much free space you currently have you
: > > may
: > > simply not have sufficient free space remaining to make it feasible.
: > > It's also true that repartitioning carries a certain amount of risk.
: > > I've done it hundreds of times, but I can't say they've *all* gone
: > > without a hitch. The separate HD is definitely the better solution,
: > > and
: > > I'm surprised that your system wouldn't have room for another, but
: > > then
: > > again, I don't know what system we're dealing with.
: > >
: > > But, since you have an XP system to familiarize yourself with, you're
: > > definitely wise to not mess with the other system.
: > >
: > > --
: > > Gary S. Terhune
: > > MS MVP Shell/User
: > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: > >
: > > Menno Hershberger Wrote:-
: > > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com wrote in
: > > news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com:
: > > -
: > >
[...]
: > --
: > PSYCHOPIXIE
: >

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

IMO, if you want XP then buy it with a new computer. It is not worth risking
your settings and files for a new line of code. Remember, if you switch from
98 to XP then you are also jumping from the 9x line of code into the NT (New
Technology) which is what XP is based upon line of code. Your computer
sounds really old so it will run really slowly. Finally, are you sure you
want to switch underlying source codes? (From 9x -- 95, 98, 98SE, and even ME
to NT4, 2000, (XP -- NT5)

: > Menno Hershberger Wrote:-
: > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com wrote in
: > news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com:
[...]