Kb891711

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 10, 2005 7:32:14 AM

Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.

I noticed when I was sitting at the other end of the room that my
computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.

Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
"Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
98.

Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?

Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very
stressful right now!

Beth

More about : kb891711

March 10, 2005 7:32:15 AM

In news:ttiv21dnj8ha538cu1fv2ocu25q06m91c3@4ax.com,
Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:

> Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
> state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
>
> I noticed when I was sitting at the other end of the room that my
> computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
> sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
> worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
> downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
>
> Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
> "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
> Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
> 98.
>
> Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
> which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
>
> Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very
> stressful right now!
>
> Beth

Odd. I had an Elizabeth who's name, as far as I was concerned, was
Elizabetty. Thus your name requires I try to look to see if I can help.

Anyhow, to be honest, it sounds as if you should follow some of the generic
postings in this newsgroup about malware. That includes viruses, trojans, or
spyware. I've gone ahead and searched for any earlier posts and, when
reading them, you sound as though you know about malware problems. You
mentioned being aware of them in some form or another but you are, I hope,
aware that without some form of real-time protection you're fighting an
uphill battle? Site's visited whilst allowing IFrame to run applications or
applications to be run from across multiple domains mean your system can be
harmed but also downloads from various sources can alter your computer in,
for lack of a better term, evil ways. Without some sort of real time
protection or an antivirus application performing double duty you are indeed
at risk. Scanning with an application or two doesn't mean that you've found
all the nasties, it only means that you will have found the popular ones.
I'd get a second opinion on your malware, maybe, situation.

Galen
--
Signature changed for as a moment of silence.
March 10, 2005 7:32:15 AM

Yes, that is the way they have done the update.
I also have a little click for programs and I have not heard any so it was
probably as you thought - your antivirus updating or something else. Just
leave the update as if no problem. There was also another update effecting
hyperlinks.
--
mae

"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
| Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
| state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
|
| I noticed when I was sitting at the other end of the room that my
| computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
| sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
| worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
| downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
|
| Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
| "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
| Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
| 98.
|
| Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
| which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
|
| Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very
| stressful right now!
|
| Beth
March 10, 2005 7:32:15 AM

Not only that, but if you do the "msconfig" thing, you'll notice that
KB891711 is set up to run at every boot. Odd for a update.

I also noticed that I was having problems running ZoneAlarm until I disabled
KB891711 from starting up when the computer boots.

Anyone have thoughts about this. And yes, KB891711 is an official MS patch
from the MS download site.

"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
> Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
> state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
>
> I noticed when I was sitting at the other end of the room that my
> computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
> sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
> worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
> downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
>
> Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
> "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
> Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
> 98.
>
> Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
> which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
>
> Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very
> stressful right now!
>
> Beth
March 10, 2005 7:32:16 AM

Yes, I have thoughts, darkrats -- <goofy smile> My ZA PRO. is working great
and I am fully updated with this update in my settings as well. Everything
is going as normal. I did have an unrelated problem with my system clock and
wallwatcher.exe on Wednesday morning but that was unrelated because it was
before I updated and I realize what mistake I did that caused it. I cleared
some history on the XP PRO. side that should not have been cleared and I did
it anyway. Fortunately, everything is now fine on my 98SE side and XP PRO.
side as well. It only took a small amount of recofiguring and such.
Darkrats, I warned you to update through Windows Update and not blaze your
own trail and pick and choose your own updates and see I told you so this is
the consequence(s) that are a result of your own action. Anyway, I am sorry
you are having problems and I hope someone smarter than I can help you fix
your problems on your computer.

news:o O5Uw2TJFHA.3528@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
:
: I also noticed that I was having problems running ZoneAlarm until I
disabled
: KB891711 from starting up when the computer boots.
:
: Anyone have thoughts about this. And yes, KB891711 is an official MS patch
: from the MS download site.
:
:
:
: "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
: news:ttiv21dnj8ha538cu1fv2ocu25q06m91c3@4ax.com...
: > Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
: > state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
: >
[...]
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:12:00 AM

Read some of the other posts.
And check out a few forums on the web.
Even those downloading through MS Update are reporting the same thing.
Has nothing to do with "blazing my own trail".

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]
> : > computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
> : > sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
> : > worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
> : > downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
> : >
> : > Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
> : > "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
> : > Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
> : > 98.
> : >
> : > Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
> : > which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
> : >
> : > Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very

March 10, 2005 1:13:49 PM

Well, I guess I am one of the fortunate ones who is not affected.

[...]
: > :
: > : I also noticed that I was having problems running ZoneAlarm until I
: > disabled
: > : KB891711 from starting up when the computer boots.
: > :
: > : Anyone have thoughts about this. And yes, KB891711 is an official MS
: patch
: > : from the MS download site.
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > : "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
: > : news:ttiv21dnj8ha538cu1fv2ocu25q06m91c3@4ax.com...
: > : > Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
: > : > state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
: > : >
[...]
March 10, 2005 6:24:34 PM

When I googled KB891711 last night, I noticed that a lot of people are
complaining that KB891711 is causing them some form of trouble or the
other and not just Win98 users, also a lot of Win2000 users. Maybe
Microsoft will have a correction for us? But, so far (since March 8),
it hasn't caused me problems other than worry about it being in my
task list when I never did anything to open it other than start my
computer.

Beth

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:52:10 -0700, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Not only that, but if you do the "msconfig" thing, you'll notice that
>KB891711 is set up to run at every boot. Odd for a update.
>
>I also noticed that I was having problems running ZoneAlarm until I disabled
>KB891711 from starting up when the computer boots.
>
>Anyone have thoughts about this. And yes, KB891711 is an official MS patch
>from the MS download site.
>

>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>> Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
>> state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
>>
>> I noticed when I was sitting at the other end of the room that my
>> computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
>> sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
>> worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
>> downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
>>
>> Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
>> "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
>> Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
>> 98.
>>
>> Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
>> which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
>>
>> Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very
>> stressful right now!
>>
>> Beth

March 10, 2005 6:24:35 PM

Patience and Peace be with you Beth. I am sure a solution to your problem
will be forthcoming. Have a nice day!

: wrote:
:
: >Not only that, but if you do the "msconfig" thing, you'll notice that
: >KB891711 is set up to run at every boot. Odd for a update.
: >
: >I also noticed that I was having problems running ZoneAlarm until I
disabled
: >KB891711 from starting up when the computer boots.
: >
: >Anyone have thoughts about this. And yes, KB891711 is an official MS patch
: >from the MS download site.
: >
: >
: >
: >"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
: >news:ttiv21dnj8ha538cu1fv2ocu25q06m91c3@4ax.com...
: >> Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
: >> state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
: >>

In news:vmp0311h8hd72sh99ha3u03vbcmg9ata15@4ax.com,
Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:

> When I googled KB891711 last night, I noticed that a lot of people are
> complaining that KB891711 is causing them some form of trouble or the
> other and not just Win98 users, also a lot of Win2000 users. Maybe
> Microsoft will have a correction for us? But, so far (since March 8),
> it hasn't caused me problems other than worry about it being in my
> task list when I never did anything to open it other than start my
> computer.
>
> Beth

As per my email in response to the one that you sent. My big question is how
it got installed in the first place.

It seems that this is likely an update that you installed to cure a
potential security threat that involves a curser and a higher level of
technical than I have. I am not entirely sure how you'd have this update
running on a 98 computer. If what I'm reading is correct then you're surely
not even supposed to have that update.

Starting here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...

There you will see that there's a bit of information about this and that the
oldest operating system that this is applicable to is Windows NT. There was
no update issued by that name for Windows 98 users unless the site hasn't
been updated to reflect an update that was recently released and that's
unlikely as they're usually fairly decent about keeping the technet up to
date.

If you take a look online for the KB at the Microsoft site you get this:

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/results.aspx?display...

Which, to me, says there's something amiss as there's no 98 options
available. This brings us full circle in that perhaps there's some sort of
malware installed on your system that's causing this. Perhaps something
installing and appearing to be a Windows Update file but something written
well enough so that it's taking the time to edit the update files on your PC
so that it looks like you've done this update.

This is all conjecture and ideas. I can't even find any referrence to any
spyware/malware/virus that does this sort of thing.

Galen

March 10, 2005 6:24:36 PM

The bulletins were updated March 08.
And they point to Windows Update for 9x's.
I installed at that time.
--
mae

news:o ksSPZaJFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

snip----
It seems that this is likely an update that you installed to cure a
| potential security threat that involves a curser and a higher level of
| technical than I have. I am not entirely sure how you'd have this update
| running on a 98 computer. If what I'm reading is correct then you're
surely
| not even supposed to have that update.
|
| Starting here:
|
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
|
| There you will see that there's a bit of information about this and that
the
| oldest operating system that this is applicable to is Windows NT. There
was
| no update issued by that name for Windows 98 users unless the site hasn't
| been updated to reflect an update that was recently released and that's
| unlikely as they're usually fairly decent about keeping the technet up to
| date.
|
| If you take a look online for the KB at the Microsoft site you get this:

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/results.aspx?display...

| Which, to me, says there's something amiss as there's no 98 options
| available. This brings us full circle in that perhaps there's some sort of
| malware installed on your system that's causing this. Perhaps something
| installing and appearing to be a Windows Update file but something written
| well enough so that it's taking the time to edit the update files on your
PC
| so that it looks like you've done this update.
|
| This is all conjecture and ideas. I can't even find any referrence to any
| spyware/malware/virus that does this sort of thing.
|
| Galen
|
| --
| Signature changed for a moment of silence.
| Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

March 10, 2005 6:27:21 PM

I ALWAYS download and install every critical Windows update. So maybe
that's why KB981711 isn't causing trouble other than worry about it
starting at startup? Beth

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:58:18 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

> [...]
>: > computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
>: > sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
>: > worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
>: > downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
>: >
>: > Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
>: > "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
>: > Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
>: > 98.
>: >
>: > Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
>: > which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
>: >
>: > Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very

March 10, 2005 10:23:36 PM

No patience, I know. I said 6that KB891711 wasn't giving me trouble,
but now I think it may be. Internet Explorer keeps locking up, and
then I can't even END TASK. The only way I could turn off my computer
was with the switch. After I restarted, I scanned it for viruses.
None. I scanned it with Adaware and Spybot. Spybot gave me this
message: "Errr during check! DyFuCA. InternetOptimizer
(Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 005FD6D2 in Modul " which doesn't look
like English to me

Does anyone know what that means?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:15:10 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Patience and Peace be with you Beth. I am sure a solution to your problem
>will be forthcoming. Have a nice day!
>
>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>: When I googled KB891711 last night, I noticed that a lot of people are
>: complaining that KB891711 is causing them some form of trouble or the
>: other and not just Win98 users, also a lot of Win2000 users. Maybe
>: Microsoft will have a correction for us? But, so far (since March 8),
>: it hasn't caused me problems other than worry about it being in my
>: task list when I never did anything to open it other than start my
>: computer.
>:
>: Beth
>:
>: On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:52:10 -0700, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
>: wrote:
>:
>: >Not only that, but if you do the "msconfig" thing, you'll notice that
>: >KB891711 is set up to run at every boot. Odd for a update.
>: >
>: >I also noticed that I was having problems running ZoneAlarm until I
>disabled
>: >KB891711 from starting up when the computer boots.
>: >
>: >Anyone have thoughts about this. And yes, KB891711 is an official MS patch
>: >from the MS download site.
>: >
>: >
>: >
>: >"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>: >news:ttiv21dnj8ha538cu1fv2ocu25q06m91c3@4ax.com...
>: >> Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
>: >> state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
>: >>
>: >> I noticed when I was sitting at the other end of the room that my
>: >> computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
>: >> sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
>: >> worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
>: >> downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
>: >>
>: >> Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
>: >> "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
>: >> Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
>: >> 98.
>: >>
>: >> Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
>: >> which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
>: >>
>: >> Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very
>: >> stressful right now!
>: >>
>: >> Beth
>: >
>:

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:23:37 PM

> No patience, I know. I said 6that KB891711 wasn't giving me trouble,
> but now I think it may be. Internet Explorer keeps locking up, and

Elizabeth, you can disable that KB891711 update, or uninstall it if you want
to for now.

To disable it go to Start> Run> type: msconfig ..under the StartUp
tab you will see listed KB891711 ...uncheck its listing and then click Apply
and reboot.

That should take care of it - if that was it?

If you want to uninstall it you can go the Control Panel and click the
Add/Remove icon, scroll down to see "Windows 98 KB 891711 Update"
You can uninstall it for now to see if that helps, but just remember if you
do either of these things you will not be protected from that particular
issue if you happen to be in any of the situations that it applies to, which
may be unlikely or not.

Rick
March 10, 2005 10:23:37 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:23:36 GMT, Elizabeth
<bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote:

>No patience, I know. I said 6that KB891711 wasn't giving me trouble,
>but now I think it may be. Internet Explorer keeps locking up, and
>then I can't even END TASK. The only way I could turn off my computer
>was with the switch. After I restarted, I scanned it for viruses.
>None. I scanned it with Adaware and Spybot. Spybot gave me this
>message: "Errr during check! DyFuCA. InternetOptimizer
>(Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 005FD6D2 in Modul " which doesn't look
>like English to me
>
>Does anyone know what that means?
[snip]

Try Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DyFuCA.+InternetOp...

In particular maybe these results:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/graywareDetail...
http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_dyfuca...
http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_intern...

Luck!

--
Luke
March 10, 2005 10:56:16 PM

Oh, boy, I sure hope you're wrong. But you may be right. I just
scanned with Spybot and got "Error during check! DyFuCA.
InternetOptimizer (Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 005FD5D2 in Modul"

Last night I did read that bulletin from Microsoft. For Win98, it
referred to an FAQ. The FAQ explained that updates were extended for
Win98 and that there was an update. I didn't download the update
because I had just done a Windows Update March 8, which is the date on
that bulletin. My update history says that Windows Update included a
download of kb8917111 for Win98, unless I misunderstood.

So, in answer to your question about how that was installed in the
first place. it was a regular Windows Update. It scanned my computer
and told me I needed that.

Beth

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:21:03 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In news:vmp0311h8hd72sh99ha3u03vbcmg9ata15@4ax.com,
>Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:
>
>> When I googled KB891711 last night, I noticed that a lot of people are
>> complaining that KB891711 is causing them some form of trouble or the
>> other and not just Win98 users, also a lot of Win2000 users. Maybe
>> Microsoft will have a correction for us? But, so far (since March 8),
>> it hasn't caused me problems other than worry about it being in my
>> task list when I never did anything to open it other than start my
>> computer.
>>
>> Beth
>
>As per my email in response to the one that you sent. My big question is how
>it got installed in the first place.
>
>It seems that this is likely an update that you installed to cure a
>potential security threat that involves a curser and a higher level of
>technical than I have. I am not entirely sure how you'd have this update
>running on a 98 computer. If what I'm reading is correct then you're surely
>not even supposed to have that update.
>
>Starting here:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
>
>There you will see that there's a bit of information about this and that the
>oldest operating system that this is applicable to is Windows NT. There was
>no update issued by that name for Windows 98 users unless the site hasn't
>been updated to reflect an update that was recently released and that's
>unlikely as they're usually fairly decent about keeping the technet up to
>date.
>
>If you take a look online for the KB at the Microsoft site you get this:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/results.aspx?display...
>
>Which, to me, says there's something amiss as there's no 98 options
>available. This brings us full circle in that perhaps there's some sort of
>malware installed on your system that's causing this. Perhaps something
>installing and appearing to be a Windows Update file but something written
>well enough so that it's taking the time to edit the update files on your PC
>so that it looks like you've done this update.
>
>This is all conjecture and ideas. I can't even find any referrence to any
>spyware/malware/virus that does this sort of thing.
>
>Galen
March 10, 2005 10:56:17 PM

In news:vf8131d17nnocdg7s4va1cnp7vf2dr8p3h@4ax.com,
Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:

> So, in answer to your question about how that was installed in the
> first place. it was a regular Windows Update. It scanned my computer
> and told me I needed that.

This is most interesting. I, for one, enjoy interesting and difficult. This
is not nearly as much fun for you. I called Microsoft Support at their
1-866-PCSAFETY line (I figured it was malware related so I'd try there) and
the nice lady on the other end of the phone line informed me that update
wasn't for 98 according to her computer and the person she called while on
the phone with me.

The Microsoft page listed in the first mail shows the same information. I've
no similar updates listed on my 98se or ME computers to the best of my
knowledge. I'm quite intrigued by this... Perhaps more information to come?
I'll keep looking or perhaps someone will pop in that's more knowledgable
than I (which isn't difficult) and willing to help.

Galen
March 10, 2005 10:56:17 PM

Beth I just googled your information and DyFuCA is a virus. I hope you get
rid of it soon.

: wrote:
:
: >In news:vmp0311h8hd72sh99ha3u03vbcmg9ata15@4ax.com,
: >Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:
: >
: >> When I googled KB891711 last night, I noticed that a lot of people are
: >> complaining that KB891711 is causing them some form of trouble or the
: >> other and not just Win98 users, also a lot of Win2000 users. Maybe
: >> Microsoft will have a correction for us? But, so far (since March 8),
: >> it hasn't caused me problems other than worry about it being in my
: >> task list when I never did anything to open it other than start my
: >> computer.
: >>
: >> Beth
: >
: >As per my email in response to the one that you sent. My big question is
how
: >it got installed in the first place.
: >
: >It seems that this is likely an update that you installed to cure a
: >potential security threat that involves a curser and a higher level of
: >technical than I have. I am not entirely sure how you'd have this update
: >running on a 98 computer. If what I'm reading is correct then you're
surely
: >not even supposed to have that update.
: >
: >Starting here:
: >
: >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
: >
: >There you will see that there's a bit of information about this and that
the
: >oldest operating system that this is applicable to is Windows NT. There
was
: >no update issued by that name for Windows 98 users unless the site hasn't
: >been updated to reflect an update that was recently released and that's
: >unlikely as they're usually fairly decent about keeping the technet up to
: >date.
: >
: >If you take a look online for the KB at the Microsoft site you get this:
: >
:
>http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/results.aspx?display...
1711
: >
: >Which, to me, says there's something amiss as there's no 98 options
: >available. This brings us full circle in that perhaps there's some sort of
: >malware installed on your system that's causing this. Perhaps something
: >installing and appearing to be a Windows Update file but something written
: >well enough so that it's taking the time to edit the update files on your
PC
: >so that it looks like you've done this update.
: >
: >This is all conjecture and ideas. I can't even find any referrence to any
: >spyware/malware/virus that does this sort of thing.
: >
: >Galen
:
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:56:18 PM

news:o 1EhZEbJFHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl

> This is most interesting. I, for one, enjoy interesting and difficult. This
> is not nearly as much fun for you. I called Microsoft Support at their
> 1-866-PCSAFETY line (I figured it was malware related so I'd try there) and
> the nice lady on the other end of the phone line informed me that update
> wasn't for 98 according to her computer and the person she called while on
> the phone with me.

LoL, you must of got the mail room clerk or something.

Scroll down to FAQ on this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05...

"Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition
critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are addressed in this
security bulletin?
Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition
are critically affected by this vulnerability. A Critical security update for
these platforms is available and is provided as part of this security
bulletin and can be downloaded only from the Windows Update Web site."

> The Microsoft page listed in the first mail shows the same information.
> I've no similar updates listed on my 98se or ME computers to the best of my
> knowledge. I'm quite intrigued by this... Perhaps more information to come?
> I'll keep looking or perhaps someone will pop in that's more knowledgable
> than I (which isn't difficult) and willing to help.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
March 11, 2005 12:33:31 AM

I always find that Microsoft's bulletins are difficult to entirely
understand. I do know that they wrote one in January that they rewrote
on March 8. And it was March 8 that I received a notice that I needed
a critical update. I said OK, go there. And it downloaded and
installed the update. Yesterday I checked the Windows Update site for
my update history, and there it is.

Besides that, I'm not the only person with Win98 who downloaded and
installed that same update, right? Oh, I hope I don't have to worry
about this!

Beth

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:38:18 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In news:vf8131d17nnocdg7s4va1cnp7vf2dr8p3h@4ax.com,
>Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:
>
>> So, in answer to your question about how that was installed in the
>> first place. it was a regular Windows Update. It scanned my computer
>> and told me I needed that.
>
>This is most interesting. I, for one, enjoy interesting and difficult. This
>is not nearly as much fun for you. I called Microsoft Support at their
>1-866-PCSAFETY line (I figured it was malware related so I'd try there) and
>the nice lady on the other end of the phone line informed me that update
>wasn't for 98 according to her computer and the person she called while on
>the phone with me.
>
>The Microsoft page listed in the first mail shows the same information. I've
>no similar updates listed on my 98se or ME computers to the best of my
>knowledge. I'm quite intrigued by this... Perhaps more information to come?
>I'll keep looking or perhaps someone will pop in that's more knowledgable
>than I (which isn't difficult) and willing to help.
>
>Galen
March 11, 2005 12:33:32 AM

Beth, you have a virus. I apologize but you will need to scan with a current
antivirus scanner.

: wrote:
:
[...]
March 11, 2005 2:46:19 AM

In news:uvZB4fbJFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Rick Chauvin <justask@nospamz.com> had this to say:

> LoL, you must of got the mail room clerk or something.

Well, she sounded nice. Got to give her credit for that. A bit slow (meaning
perhaps new to the job?) I guess but not unfriendly. So now we see that
there's an update from the Windows Update site (I booted a 98 box and went
to the site it's listed in the downloads!) Last time I trust the phone reps
;)  Anyhow... While we're on the subject, is this file supposed to be running
in the background full time after installation of the update? (I haven't
completed the update yet - dialup is my only rational option here.)

Galen
March 11, 2005 5:42:30 AM

Oh, Dan, I hope you're wrong. I use Trend's PCcillin virus scanner all
the time and keep it updated at least once a day, usually twice.

I asked about that message I got from Spybot in a Spybot forum. Most
of that message is German because the creator of Spybot is German. A
person there told me that it just indicates I had too many programs
running during its scan and that many other people have gotten this
message. I emailed him about the possible virus, and I'm awaiting his
reply.

But Trend, who are aware of that virus and have been aware for many
months, doesn't find it in my system.

I scanned with Spybot again and didn't get that message.

Beth

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:19:49 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Beth, you have a virus. I apologize but you will need to scan with a current
>antivirus scanner.
>
>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>: I always find that Microsoft's bulletins are difficult to entirely
>: understand. I do know that they wrote one in January that they rewrote
>: on March 8. And it was March 8 that I received a notice that I needed
>: a critical update. I said OK, go there. And it downloaded and
>: installed the update. Yesterday I checked the Windows Update site for
>: my update history, and there it is.
>:
>: Besides that, I'm not the only person with Win98 who downloaded and
>: installed that same update, right? Oh, I hope I don't have to worry
>: about this!
>:
>: Beth
>:
>: On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:38:18 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
>: wrote:
>:
>: >In news:vf8131d17nnocdg7s4va1cnp7vf2dr8p3h@4ax.com,
>: >Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:
>: >
>: >> So, in answer to your question about how that was installed in the
>: >> first place. it was a regular Windows Update. It scanned my computer
>: >> and told me I needed that.
>: >
>: >This is most interesting. I, for one, enjoy interesting and difficult.
>This
>: >is not nearly as much fun for you. I called Microsoft Support at their
>: >1-866-PCSAFETY line (I figured it was malware related so I'd try there)
>and
>: >the nice lady on the other end of the phone line informed me that update
>: >wasn't for 98 according to her computer and the person she called while on
>: >the phone with me.
>: >
>: >The Microsoft page listed in the first mail shows the same information.
>I've
>: >no similar updates listed on my 98se or ME computers to the best of my
>: >knowledge. I'm quite intrigued by this... Perhaps more information to
>come?
>: >I'll keep looking or perhaps someone will pop in that's more knowledgable
>: >than I (which isn't difficult) and willing to help.
>: >
>: >Galen
>:

March 11, 2005 6:21:13 AM

Oh, Luke, this is terrible!

Beth

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:15:34 -0700, Luke <luke@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:23:36 GMT, Elizabeth
><bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote:
>
>>No patience, I know. I said 6that KB891711 wasn't giving me trouble,
>>but now I think it may be. Internet Explorer keeps locking up, and
>>then I can't even END TASK. The only way I could turn off my computer
>>was with the switch. After I restarted, I scanned it for viruses.
>>None. I scanned it with Adaware and Spybot. Spybot gave me this
>>message: "Errr during check! DyFuCA. InternetOptimizer
>>(Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 005FD6D2 in Modul " which doesn't look
>>like English to me
>>
>>Does anyone know what that means?
>[snip]
>
>Try Google:
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DyFuCA.+InternetOp...
>
>In particular maybe these results:
>
>http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/graywareDetail...
>http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_dyfuca...
>http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_intern...
>
>Luck!
March 11, 2005 6:23:12 AM

OK, now I think you're right. Except it's not just a virus. I wrote
Trend for advice about how to get rid of it.

Beth

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:19:49 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Beth, you have a virus. I apologize but you will need to scan with a current
>antivirus scanner.
>
>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>: I always find that Microsoft's bulletins are difficult to entirely
>: understand. I do know that they wrote one in January that they rewrote
>: on March 8. And it was March 8 that I received a notice that I needed
>: a critical update. I said OK, go there. And it downloaded and
>: installed the update. Yesterday I checked the Windows Update site for
>: my update history, and there it is.
>:
>: Besides that, I'm not the only person with Win98 who downloaded and
>: installed that same update, right? Oh, I hope I don't have to worry
>: about this!
>:
>: Beth
>:
>: On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:38:18 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
>: wrote:
>:
>: >In news:vf8131d17nnocdg7s4va1cnp7vf2dr8p3h@4ax.com,
>: >Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:
>: >
>: >> So, in answer to your question about how that was installed in the
>: >> first place. it was a regular Windows Update. It scanned my computer
>: >> and told me I needed that.
>: >
>: >This is most interesting. I, for one, enjoy interesting and difficult.
>This
>: >is not nearly as much fun for you. I called Microsoft Support at their
>: >1-866-PCSAFETY line (I figured it was malware related so I'd try there)
>and
>: >the nice lady on the other end of the phone line informed me that update
>: >wasn't for 98 according to her computer and the person she called while on
>: >the phone with me.
>: >
>: >The Microsoft page listed in the first mail shows the same information.
>I've
>: >no similar updates listed on my 98se or ME computers to the best of my
>: >knowledge. I'm quite intrigued by this... Perhaps more information to
>come?
>: >I'll keep looking or perhaps someone will pop in that's more knowledgable
>: >than I (which isn't difficult) and willing to help.
>: >
>: >Galen
>:

March 11, 2005 9:08:10 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:21:13 GMT, Elizabeth
<bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote:

>Oh, Luke, this is terrible!
>
>Beth
>
>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:15:34 -0700, Luke <luke@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:23:36 GMT, Elizabeth
>><bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote:
>>
>>>No patience, I know. I said 6that KB891711 wasn't giving me trouble,
>>>but now I think it may be. Internet Explorer keeps locking up, and
>>>then I can't even END TASK. The only way I could turn off my computer
>>>was with the switch. After I restarted, I scanned it for viruses.
>>>None. I scanned it with Adaware and Spybot. Spybot gave me this
>>>message: "Errr during check! DyFuCA. InternetOptimizer
>>>(Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 005FD6D2 in Modul " which doesn't look
>>>like English to me
>>>
>>>Does anyone know what that means?
>>[snip]
>>
>>Try Google:
>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DyFuCA.+InternetOp...
>>
>>In particular maybe these results:
>>
>>http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/graywareDetail...
>>http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_dyfuca...
>>http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_intern...
>>
>>Luck!

I see you've written Trend. You might also try posting a query on
alt.comp.anti-virus or alt.comp.virus. Someone there may have good
suggestions. Sorry I can't help you sort it, but I know only what I
read, briefly, that came up with the Google search. Hang in there!

--
Luke
Anonymous

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Galen"
<galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

>In news:vmp0311h8hd72sh99ha3u03vbcmg9ata15@4ax.com,
>Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:
>
>> When I googled KB891711 last night, I noticed that a lot of people are
>> complaining that KB891711 is causing them some form of trouble or the
>> other and not just Win98 users, also a lot of Win2000 users. Maybe
>> Microsoft will have a correction for us? But, so far (since March 8),
>> it hasn't caused me problems other than worry about it being in my
>> task list when I never did anything to open it other than start my
>> computer.
>>
>> Beth
>
>As per my email in response to the one that you sent. My big question is how
>it got installed in the first place.
>
>It seems that this is likely an update that you installed to cure a
>potential security threat that involves a curser and a higher level of
>technical than I have. I am not entirely sure how you'd have this update
>running on a 98 computer. If what I'm reading is correct then you're surely
>not even supposed to have that update.
>
>Starting here:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
>
>There you will see that there's a bit of information about this and that the
>oldest operating system that this is applicable to is Windows NT. There was
>no update issued by that name for Windows 98 users
(snip)

I am tempted to say "rubbish" but I won't.

Sorry Galen, but Win98 and Win ME users get this update at Windows
Update as Ms05-002.mpx clearly indicates in the FAQ section.
If you have a Win98 installation, then you should have been given this
offer this at Windows Update (as I did)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

Alan Edwards wrote:
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Galen"
> <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>In news:vmp0311h8hd72sh99ha3u03vbcmg9ata15@4ax.com,
>>Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:
>>

>>>When I googled KB891711 last night, I noticed that a lot of people are
>>>complaining that KB891711 is causing them some form of trouble or the
>>>other and not just Win98 users, also a lot of Win2000 users. Maybe
>>>Microsoft will have a correction for us? But, so far (since March 8),
>>>it hasn't caused me problems other than worry about it being in my
>>>task list when I never did anything to open it other than start my
>>>computer.
>>>
>>>Beth
>>
>>As per my email in response to the one that you sent. My big question is how
>>it got installed in the first place.
>>
>>It seems that this is likely an update that you installed to cure a
>>potential security threat that involves a curser and a higher level of
>>technical than I have. I am not entirely sure how you'd have this update
>>running on a 98 computer. If what I'm reading is correct then you're surely
>>not even supposed to have that update.
>>
>>Starting here:
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
>>
>>There you will see that there's a bit of information about this and that the
>>oldest operating system that this is applicable to is Windows NT. There was
>>no update issued by that name for Windows 98 users
>
> (snip)
>
> I am tempted to say "rubbish" but I won't.
>
> Sorry Galen, but Win98 and Win ME users get this update at Windows
> Update as Ms05-002.mpx clearly indicates in the FAQ section.
> If you have a Win98 installation, then you should have been given this
> offer this at Windows Update (as I did)
>
> ...Alan

Whether I SHOULD have it or not I don't know, but Windows
Update site delivered it to me, after notifying me via
Critical Update notification that it was availble and
necessary. Not causing me problems though.
ZA, NAVPro 2003, Win98SE, SpybotS&D IEresident, IE6 &
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1, broadband.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, Alan Edwards, MVP. I really appreciate
your post. Have a great week. <smile>

: <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:
:
[...]
: (snip)
:
: I am tempted to say "rubbish" but I won't.
:
: Sorry Galen, but Win98 and Win ME users get this update at Windows
: Update as Ms05-002.mpx clearly indicates in the FAQ section.
: If you have a Win98 installation, then you should have been given this
: offer this at Windows Update (as I did)
:
: ...Alan
:
: --
: Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
: http://dts-l.org/index.html
:
:
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:59:36 PM

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Robert M Jones
<robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Alan Edwards wrote:
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Galen"
>> <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>In news:vmp0311h8hd72sh99ha3u03vbcmg9ata15@4ax.com,
>>>Elizabeth <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> had this to say:

>>>As per my email in response to the one that you sent. My big question is how
>>>it got installed in the first place.
>>>
>>>It seems that this is likely an update that you installed to cure a
>>>potential security threat that involves a curser and a higher level of
>>>technical than I have. I am not entirely sure how you'd have this update
>>>running on a 98 computer. If what I'm reading is correct then you're surely
>>>not even supposed to have that update.
>>>
>>>Starting here:
>>>
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
>>>
>>>There you will see that there's a bit of information about this and that the
>>>oldest operating system that this is applicable to is Windows NT. There was
>>>no update issued by that name for Windows 98 users
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> I am tempted to say "rubbish" but I won't.
>>
>> Sorry Galen, but Win98 and Win ME users get this update at Windows
>> Update as Ms05-002.mpx clearly indicates in the FAQ section.
>> If you have a Win98 installation, then you should have been given this
>> offer this at Windows Update (as I did)
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>Whether I SHOULD have it or not I don't know, but Windows
>Update site delivered it to me, after notifying me via
>Critical Update notification that it was availble and
>necessary. Not causing me problems though.
>ZA, NAVPro 2003, Win98SE, SpybotS&D IEresident, IE6 &
>Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1, broadband.

WU suggests it.
You accept it, as you should.
You have no problems.
Why are you responding?

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:59:37 PM

Alan Edwards wrote:
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Robert M Jones
> <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Alan Edwards wrote:

>>>(snip)
>>>
>>>I am tempted to say "rubbish" but I won't.
>>>
>>>Sorry Galen, but Win98 and Win ME users get this update at Windows
>>>Update as Ms05-002.mpx clearly indicates in the FAQ section.
>>>If you have a Win98 installation, then you should have been given this
>>>offer this at Windows Update (as I did)
>>>
>>>...Alan
>>>

>>Whether I SHOULD have it or not I don't know, but Windows
>>Update site delivered it to me, after notifying me via
>>Critical Update notification that it was availble and
>>necessary. Not causing me problems though.
>>ZA, NAVPro 2003, Win98SE, SpybotS&D IEresident, IE6 &
>>Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1, broadband.
>

> WU suggests it.
> You accept it, as you should.
> You have no problems.
> Why are you responding?
>
> ...Alan

Sorry - thought it was a public forum. Always used to be.
I was responding for basically the same reason as you were,
Alan.
My reply was intended to answer the point made in the
quoted text from Galen, about the update "not being meant
for win98". I was simply indicating, in agreement with you,
that according to MS it was quite clearly issued for Win 98.
So my reply seems to be on topic and relevant to an earlier
post, and even correct.
But obviously I didn't have the right permit.
However I will go back under my stone now. I hope the damage
caused by my precocious post isn't too serious.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
(commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:54:53 AM

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Robert M Jones
<robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Sorry - thought it was a public forum. Always used to be.

It still is. I see nothing in my response that indicates otherwise.

>I was responding for basically the same reason as you were,

My apologies. You seemed to be responding to me instead of Galen.
I misunderstood.

>Alan.
>My reply was intended to answer the point made in the
>quoted text from Galen, about the update "not being meant
>for win98". I was simply indicating, in agreement with you,
>that according to MS it was quite clearly issued for Win 98.
>So my reply seems to be on topic and relevant to an earlier
>post, and even correct.
>But obviously I didn't have the right permit.

No permit needed.

>However I will go back under my stone now. I hope the damage
>caused by my precocious post isn't too serious.

No serious damage, though I don't understand why you use the word
"precocious" unless you are a particularly young reverend.
(No need to respond to that, as it is unimportant)

As I am sure you don't get this sarky when delivering a sermon, this
is probably a blessed relief for you. (No pun intended)
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:54:54 AM

Alan Edwards wrote:
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Robert M Jones
> <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Sorry - thought it was a public forum. Always used to be.
>

> It still is. I see nothing in my response that indicates otherwise.
>

>>I was responding for basically the same reason as you were,
>

> My apologies. You seemed to be responding to me instead of Galen.
> I misunderstood.
>

>>Alan.
>>My reply was intended to answer the point made in the
>>quoted text from Galen, about the update "not being meant
>>for win98". I was simply indicating, in agreement with you,
>>that according to MS it was quite clearly issued for Win 98.
>>So my reply seems to be on topic and relevant to an earlier
>>post, and even correct.
>>But obviously I didn't have the right permit.
>

> No permit needed.
>

>>However I will go back under my stone now. I hope the damage
>>caused by my precocious post isn't too serious.
>

> No serious damage, though I don't understand why you use the word
> "precocious" unless you are a particularly young reverend.
> (No need to respond to that, as it is unimportant)
>
> As I am sure you don't get this sarky when delivering a sermon, this
> is probably a blessed relief for you. (No pun intended)

Phew! - that's over then. ;-)

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
(commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq
March 14, 2005 4:54:55 AM

Please say around Robert M Jones. I am glad you are here and thanks for
posting your system specifications. Times have been trying here with the
chaos on user's machine with these updates and especially the death of the
beloved Alex Nichol, One of the Greatest MVP's, RIP (you beautiful and caring
man). <choked up and shivering from sadness - really :<

"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o CxP6G%23JFHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: Alan Edwards wrote:
[...]

Reverend, I will issue you a permit to attend my thread about
KB891711.exe, if you will pray that it soon will work for one & all, no
matter whether we are dial-up or not!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o CxP6G%23JFHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Alan Edwards wrote:
| > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, Robert M Jones
| > <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
| >

| >>Sorry - thought it was a public forum. Always used to be.
| >

| > It still is. I see nothing in my response that indicates otherwise.
| >

| >>I was responding for basically the same reason as you were,
| >

| > My apologies. You seemed to be responding to me instead of Galen.
| > I misunderstood.
| >

| >>Alan.
| >>My reply was intended to answer the point made in the
| >>quoted text from Galen, about the update "not being meant
| >>for win98". I was simply indicating, in agreement with you,
| >>that according to MS it was quite clearly issued for Win 98.
| >>So my reply seems to be on topic and relevant to an earlier
| >>post, and even correct.
| >>But obviously I didn't have the right permit.
| >

| > No permit needed.
| >

| >>However I will go back under my stone now. I hope the damage
| >>caused by my precocious post isn't too serious.
| >

| > No serious damage, though I don't understand why you use the word
| > "precocious" unless you are a particularly young reverend.
| > (No need to respond to that, as it is unimportant)
| >
| > As I am sure you don't get this sarky when delivering a sermon, this
| > is probably a blessed relief for you. (No pun intended)
| >

| Phew! - that's over then. ;-)
|
| --
| Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
| http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
| Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
| (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
| http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq
March 14, 2005 4:54:56 AM

"Dan156" wrote:
> [...]
> : >
> : >
> : > No serious damage, though I don't understand why you use
> the word
> : > "precocious" unless you are a particularly young reverend.
> : > (No need to respond to that, as it is unimportant)
> : >
> : > As I am sure you don't get this sarky when delivering a
> sermon, this
> : > is probably a blessed relief for you. (No pun intended)
> : >
> :
> : Phew! - that's over then. ;-)
> :
> : --
> : Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
> : http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
> : Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
> : (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)

Question... if you have already been infected with KB891711... and
then you delete it and perform the Microsoft update... is it
automatically taken care of??

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Kb89171...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1075689
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:14:34 AM

"Michael" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
....snip...

| Question... if you have already been infected with KB891711... and
| then you delete it and perform the Microsoft update... is it
| automatically taken care of??

Dan has gone to Kansas. KB891711 ..IS.. the MS update. If it is causing
your browser to crash, uncheck it at "START button, Run, MSInfo32,
Startup tab" or remove it at "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs,
Install/Uninstall tab".

Now, patiently await a new one from Windows Update.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:32:47 AM

That's... "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".

--
news:o EeB$XHKFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| "Michael" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

| ...snip...
| |
| | Question... if you have already been infected with KB891711... and
| | then you delete it and perform the Microsoft update... is it
| | automatically taken care of??
|
| Dan has gone to Kansas. KB891711 ..IS.. the MS update. If it is
causing
| your browser to crash, uncheck it at "START button, Run, MSInfo32,
| Startup tab" or remove it at "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs,
| Install/Uninstall tab".
|
| Now, patiently await a new one from Windows Update.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:28:31 PM

"PCR" wrote:
> That's... "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> news:o EeB$XHKFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> | "Michael" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> message

> | ...snip...
> | |
> | | Question... if you have already been infected with
> KB891711... and
> | | then you delete it and perform the Microsoft update... is
> it
> | | automatically taken care of??
> |
> | Dan has gone to Kansas. KB891711 ..IS.. the MS update. If it
> is
> causing
> | your browser to crash, uncheck it at "START button, Run,
> MSInfo32,
> | Startup tab" or remove it at "Control Panel, Add/Remove
> Programs,
> | Install/Uninstall tab".
> |
> | Now, patiently await a new one from Windows Update.
> |

> | --
> | Thanks or Good Luck,
> | There may be humor in this post, and,
> | Naturally, you will not sue,
> | should things get worse after this,
> | PCR
> | pcrrcp@netzero.net

Let me add to the confusion!

Using Win98 SE [EN], I check weekly for updates. Yesterday, I found
KB891711 and KB888113 as urgent updates, so I downloaded and installed
them.

As a matter of protection (!), I use Netscape since years as browser
and mail. Currently Netscape 7.2.

Starting Netscape: Windows Fatal Error; starting Netscape Mail: the
same; starting IE: the same. Only Outlook Express seemed unaffected.

All Fatal Errors 0D at 0000:0000FEFB. End of story.

First I discovered KB891711 to be in the ’running’ window [Ctrl + Alt
+ Del]; then I found it in the startup list. Check removed: problem
gone!

I sent an urgent Email to ’Bill Gates Associates’ and I am waiting to
see what happens.

If this happens to a daily but uneducated user? Black screen and back
to the repair shop. Bad experience.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:12:29 PM

That isn't a material addition to the confusion, as it seems to be the
normal experience for us lowly Dial-Up connectors. Also, careful writing
letters to Gates. That's what Dan did shortly before his mysterious
disappearance!

So, let us patiently await a fix to the fix at Windows Update.

--
"Helmich" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
| "PCR" wrote:
| > That's... "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > news:o EeB$XHKFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > | "Michael" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
| > message
| > |

| > | ...snip...
| > | |
| > KB891711... and
| > it
| > |
| > | Dan has gone to Kansas. KB891711 ..IS.. the MS update. If it
| > is
| > causing
| > | your browser to crash, uncheck it at "START button, Run,
| > MSInfo32,
| > | Startup tab" or remove it at "Control Panel, Add/Remove
| > Programs,
| > | Install/Uninstall tab".
| > |
| > | Now, patiently await a new one from Windows Update.
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Thanks or Good Luck,
| > | There may be humor in this post, and,
| > | Naturally, you will not sue,
| > | should things get worse after this,
| > | PCR
| > | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > |
| > |

| Let me add to the confusion!
|
| Using Win98 SE [EN], I check weekly for updates. Yesterday, I found
| KB891711 and KB888113 as urgent updates, so I downloaded and installed
| them.
|
| As a matter of protection (!), I use Netscape since years as browser
| and mail. Currently Netscape 7.2.
|
| Starting Netscape: Windows Fatal Error; starting Netscape Mail: the
| same; starting IE: the same. Only Outlook Express seemed unaffected.
|
| All Fatal Errors 0D at 0000:0000FEFB. End of story.
|
| First I discovered KB891711 to be in the ’running’ window [Ctrl + Alt
| + Del]; then I found it in the startup list. Check removed: problem
| gone!
|
| I sent an urgent Email to ’Bill Gates Associates’ and I am waiting to
| see what happens.
|
| If this happens to a daily but uneducated user? Black screen and back
| to the repair shop. Bad experience.
March 14, 2005 6:33:54 PM

In news:f6t731hiojeaio6rihpqp3n9hbts09e8ln@4ax.com,
Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> had this to say:

> I am tempted to say "rubbish" but I won't.
>
> Sorry Galen, but Win98 and Win ME users get this update at Windows
> Update as Ms05-002.mpx clearly indicates in the FAQ section.
> If you have a Win98 installation, then you should have been given this
> offer this at Windows Update (as I did)
>
> ...Alan

It is ONLY available through the automatic updates, looking at the page I
gave referrence to (and the kindly lady on the telephone) you'd see that you
can't download it separately which is why it was unavailable for me to
download (I do MOST of my updates manually like so when available.) This has
since been cleared up and shown that it's only available through the
automatic updates. I'd wonder about the whole "clearly" part of that but
it's a moot point. Even the lady on the phone (and her supervisor/contact
person) claimed such an animal wasn't available for 98 or ME.

For further confusion you'll find that it's running here, now, on both a
98se and now an ME box with no troubles thusfar. Oddly they're both on
dialup accounts it's running without any problems which means that the
problem isn't/shouldn't be the type of internet connection as someone had
put forth earlier in the threads.

Galen

March 14, 2005 6:45:15 PM

> It is ONLY available through the automatic updates

Unless a Win98 user has chosen to install Critical Update Notification
Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224420), they don't get "automatic
updates".

All critical updates are available for all supported OSS at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
--
~PA Bear

In Memoriam, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

Galen wrote:
> In news:f6t731hiojeaio6rihpqp3n9hbts09e8ln@4ax.com,
> Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> had this to say:

> > I am tempted to say "rubbish" but I won't.
> >
> > Sorry Galen, but Win98 and Win ME users get this update at Windows
> > Update as Ms05-002.mpx clearly indicates in the FAQ section.
> > If you have a Win98 installation, then you should have been given this
> > offer this at Windows Update (as I did)
> >
> > ...Alan
>
> It is ONLY available through the automatic updates, looking at the page I
> gave referrence to (and the kindly lady on the telephone) you'd see that
> you can't download it separately which is why it was unavailable for me to
> download (I do MOST of my updates manually like so when available.) This
> has since been cleared up and shown that it's only available through the
> automatic updates. I'd wonder about the whole "clearly" part of that but
> it's a moot point. Even the lady on the phone (and her supervisor/contact
> person) claimed such an animal wasn't available for 98 or ME.
>
> For further confusion you'll find that it's running here, now, on both a
> 98se and now an ME box with no troubles thusfar. Oddly they're both on
> dialup accounts it's running without any problems which means that the
> problem isn't/shouldn't be the type of internet connection as someone had
> put forth earlier in the threads.
>
> Galen
March 14, 2005 7:29:57 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:12:29 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>That isn't a material addition to the confusion, as it seems to be the
>normal experience for us lowly Dial-Up connectors. Also, careful writing
>letters to Gates. That's what Dan did shortly before his mysterious
>disappearance!
[snip]

Aw c'mon now ... Kansas may have been scientifically proven to be
flatter than an IHOP pancake, but it, and Dan (if that is his name),
ain't so very mysterious.

--
Luke
Anonymous

PCR wrote:
> Reverend, I will issue you a permit to attend my thread about
> KB891711.exe, if you will pray that it soon will work for one & all, no
> matter whether we are dial-up or not!

Is this your thread? I'm on my knees now!

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
(commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:57:26 PM

No. Mine is KB891711, with a capital "B". Here is your permit...

Permit one good Reverend Robert M Jones with prayer.
Signed...... PCR.

--
| PCR wrote:
| > Reverend, I will issue you a permit to attend my thread about
| > KB891711.exe, if you will pray that it soon will work for one & all,
no
| > matter whether we are dial-up or not!
| >

| Is this your thread? I'm on my knees now!
|

| --
| Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
| http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
| Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
| (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
| http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:17:53 AM

He may have been lured there, Luke, for the next tornado. That's what
I'm ho, hop, hop... thinking. Thinking! Wondering, I mean!

--
"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:12:29 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|
| >That isn't a material addition to the confusion, as it seems to be
the
| >normal experience for us lowly Dial-Up connectors. Also, careful
writing
| >letters to Gates. That's what Dan did shortly before his mysterious
| >disappearance!
| [snip]
|
| Aw c'mon now ... Kansas may have been scientifically proven to be
| flatter than an IHOP pancake, but it, and Dan (if that is his name),
| ain't so very mysterious.
|
| --
| Luke
March 15, 2005 5:32:49 PM

In news:umhx5aNKFHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
PA Bear <PABearMVP@gmail.com> had this to say:

>> It is ONLY available through the automatic updates
>
> Unless a Win98 user has chosen to install Critical Update Notification
> Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224420), they don't get
> "automatic updates".

You mean everyone doesn't install the critical update notification utility?
<EG> Anyhow, I usually (personally) wait for the patches to come out and
then download them by name instead of using the update site (which is where
some of the initial confusion came from) because, if you go to the original
article and look at it then it only appears as if there was an update for 2k
on up and that 9x/ME was excluded. Somewhere, in the midst of all this, I
decided that I'd give MS support a ring (being on dialup it makes sense for
people like me to download the updates once, burn them to CD, and save them)
where I was told by the nice lady on the phone that there was no such
critter for 98 or ME. I asked this lady, she was very polite, why people
were able to download it from the update site and she decided she'd talk to
her 'contact person' on the phone. I went on hold and she came back, about
two minutes later, and promptly informed me that it was impossible for 9x
users to have installed the kb891711 update as it was never released for the
systems. Since then I've taken a trip to the update site and found out that
I was probably speaking with the cleaning lady. I must give her credit for
being nice at any rate...

Whilst I struggle to not add additional confuzzlement to the posts I do have
something of note here. On three separate computers, one running on DSL now,
there have been no problems. Each computer is loaded only with all available
updates from Microsoft's update site. Each computer is running KAV. Each
computer is running Outpost. No *additional* software is installed on any of
the boxes. The reason there's one on DSL is because it was thought that
there was a problem with the type of internet connection. So far there
haven't been any faults or failures... This will probably only add more
confusion to the posts but, well, that's the oddity of it. It makes me think
that (and one of them is an AMD K6-II just for the record) there's something
on each of the problematic machines that's in common but that it's not the
CPU manufacturer nor the connection.

Galen

March 25, 2005 3:19:21 PM

I've received a request from the team that's working on the
KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
been reported thus far.

(According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before journeying
out onto the internet.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
> Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out of
> state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
>
> I noticed when I was sitting at the other end of the room that my
> computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
> sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
> worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin automatically
> downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
>
> Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
> "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
> Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
> 98.
>
> Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
> which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
>
> Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is very
> stressful right now!
>
> Beth
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:19:22 PM

See Don Kirkpatrick's reply to me on this issue. As I suspected, the
right hand still doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Microsoft.
I'd hold off on directly calling MS on this issue until this gets
straightened out.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> I've received a request from the team that's working on the
> KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had
problems
> with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
> them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
> problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not
yet
> received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than
has
> been reported thus far.
>
> (According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
> were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
> uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
> affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
> patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before
journeying
> out onto the internet.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
> > Now I have ANOTHER problem, and I'm trying to pack up and move out
of
> > state, so this is difficult to deal with right now.
> >
> > I noticed when I was sitting at the other end of the room that my
> > computer was making many open noises. By "open noises," I mean the
> > sound that I have assigned to Windows when a program opens. I wasn't
> > worried because I knew that could have been my PCcillin
automatically
> > downloading and installing an update to the virus scanner.
> >
> > Later I noticed in my task list something I had never seen before:
> > "Kb891711." I googled "Kb891711" and then found "Microsoft Security
> > Bulletin MS05-002," but I can't figure what I should do with Windows
> > 98.
> >
> > Why is that in my task list? I did do a Windows Update yesterday,
> > which is the date on that security bulletin. What should I do?
> >
> > Please someone make life less stressful for someone whose life is
very
> > stressful right now!
> >
> > Beth

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:27:39 PM

The latest from MS:

"Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
98,
Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.

"Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
PCSAFETY."

I'm now assured, and fairly confident, that anyone who answers that
number will be up to speed on the issue.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

news:o iNt7GWMFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...