Rig wont post with 9800 but will with ti4600?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Just upgrade my wifes rig to an Athlon 64 system and got her into a a64 3200, ddr 433, and Radeon 9800 pro agp. My problem is that this system will NOT post with the Radeon 9800 in there. All the fans come on and the drives are booting up but the screen is blank and no post occurs. I have already repalced the PSU to a Fortron Blue 500 to no luck.

Here is the annoying part, I can put in her old geforece ti4600 in the same agp slot and rig comes up just fine. So I had a friend try my radeon 9800 in his rig and it works just fine. What the hell am I missing here? Unfortunate I have no voltmeter but Im suspecting a compatibility issue OR voltage probem in my agp slot.

Who else has ran into this mobo and has a cure to this plague?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Not yet but no plans for OCing this will be for my wife.

I have also manuall adjusted the BIOS settings for stock configs for CPU, RAM, VGA equip just to make sure the mobo goes tard on me.

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Are you using the same port for both monitors? If the card is dual dvi and you use an adaptor did you use the same adaptor?
The card may have a bad plug or an adaptor may be bad.
But then again maybe not.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Are you using the same port for both monitors? If the card is dual dvi and you use an adaptor did you use the same adaptor?
The card may have a bad plug or an adaptor may be bad.
But then again maybe not.

Way off there!

My rig will not POST with my Radeon 9800pro-xt but will with the ti4600. Switching molex calbes were no good. Also to note, it seems that the rig constantly reboots before posting whent he 9800 is in there for Im seeing the optical drives reloading every second. Im starting to belive that this card is either bad or incompatible on this mobo. This funny part is my friend can get the 9800 to work on his rig just fine, using some viakt400 chipset mobo in his. Hes gonna loan me his 9500 to see if I can get that agp 8x card to work in this rig.

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I had a similar problem. Even though my Mobo said it was agp 4x compliant it would not work with a 9800 pro.

I bought a new PSU..did not work. Eventually bought a new MOBO..it did work but not as promised. The TV tuner was so awful ( complete snow ) despite buying a signal amplifier that I sent the whole thing back in disgust and replaced with a Geforce 6800 without tuner.

Is this an older MoBo?

If you care to read on about my misery regarding this here is a link..

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=63131

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
try updating the mobo's BIOS. Also, try setting it up as AGP 4x only - I had troube with my bro's 9500 until I scaled the bus down to 4X and then it worked like a charm.

The mobo bois should be sufficient but it could have a bad copy so I will update it from 1.50 to the 1.70 version. I'll also manually scale it down to 4x but Ill have to lock it first with the ti4600 installed (Thanks ASRock!).

Wat Bois rev was your bros mobo using when these issues cropped up?

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Just a guess, totally different system and don't remember which mobo at this point (Think it was an Asus A7N8E Deluxe socket A). Do you have "assign VGA irq" enabled in bios? My system refused to boot with that setting and an All In Wonder 9800 pro.

gambit6259

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I have seen some complaints on the newegg.com about agp compatibility for that Asrock board, but not with an ATI 9800. I would definitely update the BIOS to the newest if you haven't done so already.

Bungsta

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I recommend that you try a different power supply in your system first. I had a similar issue when I first installed my 9700 pro AIW card in my multimedia machine. The symptoms were basically identical to yours. Having faith that ATI wouldn't have made me a faulty 9700 pro (since I had wanted since the day it came out and didn't get one until like two years later) I scoured the internet (google) and discovered that many other users had a similar problem to mine.

The solution? The 9700 series is a power hog, when the system first turns on it can suck so much juice so soon that the powersupply, if it has some self protection mechanism, will kind of suspend itself or whatever it is that it does. I'm no electrical engineer, but from what I understand, only the more expensive power supplies usually have this protection. Anyways, I simply removed my Antec 500 watt power supply, and put in the cheapo powersupply that came with the case, which I had already been using for over two years and had never failed me. The system loaded up just fine.

From what I understand, the 9800 pro is more or less a higher clocked 9700 pro so I recommend that you try a different power supply before you send your card back. Sorry if I'm being repetitive, I just woke up and my brain isn't quite fully functional yet :)

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I recommend that you try a different power supply in your system first. I had a similar issue when I first installed my 9700 pro AIW card in my multimedia machine. The symptoms were basically identical to yours. Having faith that ATI wouldn't have made me a faulty 9700 pro (since I had wanted since the day it came out and didn't get one until like two years later) I scoured the internet (google) and discovered that many other users had a similar problem to mine.

The solution? The 9700 series is a power hog, when the system first turns on it can suck so much juice so soon that the powersupply, if it has some self protection mechanism, will kind of suspend itself or whatever it is that it does. I'm no electrical engineer, but from what I understand, only the more expensive power supplies usually have this protection. Anyways, I simply removed my Antec 500 watt power supply, and put in the cheapo powersupply that came with the case, which I had already been using for over two years and had never failed me. The system loaded up just fine.

From what I understand, the 9800 pro is more or less a higher clocked 9700 pro so I recommend that you try a different power supply before you send your card back. Sorry if I'm being repetitive, I just woke up and my brain isn't quite fully functional yet :)

Good call Bungsta! Can't believe I forgot about that one. When I upgraded to socket 939 and A64 3200+ I got a 480W Thermaltake and ran into the same problem; wouldn't boot. Started ok with a middle of the road 350W whateveritwas PSU but was nervous about the power rating. Went and got a 450W Enermax Noisetaker and all is well. The Thermaltake had a low current rating on the second 12v line... Go figure :roll:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003

Good call Bungsta! Can't believe I forgot about that one. When I upgraded to socket 939 and A64 3200+ I got a 480W Thermaltake and ran into the same problem; wouldn't boot. Started ok with a middle of the road 350W whateveritwas PSU but was nervous about the power rating. Went and got a 450W Enermax Noisetaker and all is well. The Thermaltake had a low current rating on the second 12v line... Go figure :roll:

I replaced the PSU from a Thermaltake 420 to a Fortron Source 500 so thats not my prob.

Bungsta

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Ok well perhaps you just got a dud motherboard, I would still recommend you try a cheapo powersupply before you RMA the board though. Also, try different AGP settings in your bios if you haven't already. Good luck ;)

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Ok well perhaps you just got a dud motherboard, I would still recommend you try a cheapo powersupply before you RMA the board though. Also, try different AGP settings in your bios if you haven't already. Good luck ;)

send that silly video card back! The problem is not with the mobo or the card in isolation but working together. They arent compatbale for some reason..I had a similar problem.

You proved the card works fine in another box.
Your mobo works fine with another card beside that one.

Solution is to replace vid card or mobo and I sure as hell would want to replace a vid card instead of mobo!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003

send that silly video card back! The problem is not with the mobo or the card in isolation but working together. They arent compatbale for some reason..I had a similar problem.

You proved the card works fine in another box.
Your mobo works fine with another card beside that one.

I concur. Besides, you can get newer cards for that price nowadays anyhow. But like he said, both the card and board work greak, provided you use them seperately and not together. So I'd agree its a compatibilty issue.

Quite true it must. It would not work in 6 different mobos but my friends mobo, must be agp voltage issues. Either way, Im sending back the ASRock mobo fir it has sh!tty RAM support and getting a DFI LanParty NF4 mobo. Should have stuck with my instincts from the get go so thats wats go get when once puts faith in a cheap mobo.

Another interesting not is that the ASRock mobo i have uses the ULI chipset which is now owned by NVidia so I was screwed with using a Radeon in this rig anyways.

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
glad you have come to some decision. Did you say you tried that card out in 6 other motherbaords and it did not work but you still arent giving up on it and returning your Mobo instead of video card?

If you really want that card to work..you should buy your friends board! Good Luck..tell us what happens

:)