Autoexec.bat & Config.sys in Win98

Hi all,,,,
I now have two O/S's, one on my Cdrive, and one on another
partitioned drive. I am very happy.
I do have one question that sees me sitting in win98 too afraid to
reboot.
First, my computer as it was::::::::
Cdrive = Win98 O/S
Ddrive = Autocad only.
Edrive = Playground and where all things get downloaded to.

My computer now::::::
Cdrive = Win98
Ddrive = Old Edrive(my playground. nothing is missing, its all there)
The above is when I boot to Win98.

My computer now 2:::::::::::
Cdrive = Win98
Ddrive = Where XP resides
Edrive = Edrive.
XP can see everything and also go into any file or folder regarding
Win98; and as you all know, it is reversed when using Win98,
it cannot see XP(I am using NTFS for xp).

So, the point here and my question, is "Associations"!
Due to the fact that all of my "playground" stuff now has a different
Drive-letter
as far as Win98 is concerned, (it sees all of the Edrive stuff, except via
the letter 'D'),
I had to go into the Properties of Every Icon on my desktop and change the
path from
E to D............. the instant I did this all of my icons reverted to
their original state.
Was nice to do a simple problem-fix, even if it did take a while to
re-assign the path.

Now, to TWO things that I am NOT real sure about, the ones that I am in here
for.
I have a folder called 'ResourceTools' and a Utility called '4Dos'.
Both of these are Dos orientated and now due to the fact that their paths
have changed,
(but only from the point of view of the Drive letter they aim at) they too
need 'altering'.
These two items are Both things that have 'Associations' in Autoexec.bat and
Config.sys.
They are also Both pointing to the wrong Drive-Letter.
As with the Icon Properties paths that needed to be changed, I believed the
above files
would need to be changed too.
(I say this primarily because I now believe it is why I get the msg
"Command.com cannot
be found or it is Corrupt" on boot-up of Win98.
So, my question is to the 'rules' of EDITING Autoexec.bat and Config.sys.
This is what I have done so far.
I went into my Cdrive (in win98) and simply right clicked on Autoexec.bat
and took off the
attributes. I then sent it to Notepad and simply changed the Drive letter it
was pointing to for
the New one it Should point to. Saved it, then closed it..............
simple
Next, I went to "Run, Msconfig" then brought up the config.sys tab, then
highlighted the offending
line, clicked on Edit, and simply changed the Driver letter there too to
reflect the obvious.

Now, we up to me typing.
I dont want to Reboot yet until I hear from one of you guys saying that what
I have done in
editing the above files is okay.
I have never Edited a Config.sys file before and I want to be sure.
I am a tad worried that if I reboot, and something is amiss, I wont be able
to get back
here (I am in Win98 right now, due to the fact that it is the only o/s with
a modem and
connection to the internet via my ISP) to the newsgroups to trouble-shoot.

Boy, I hope I typed all of the above in a way that can be understood, I put
a lot of
effort and thought into it.

thanks guys........ I'll wait for a reply before I reboot to see if I
edited correctly.

regards Jane

What happened to "Ddrive = Autocad only"?

I really think some of the others, like Badour & even Terhune, are
correct to suggest you should arrange it so that Win98 system files
require no adjustments. Likely, then, you'd have to uninstall XP, delete
it's partition (or put Autocad back in there?), and create a partition
for XP that would not disturb the original drive lettering.

However, if you want to keep it as is, then...

http://www.pcmag.com/ 's COA2 will help with this. After you move a file
or folder, you may use COA2 to change system references to the new
address. It will change references in the current Registry and all
..ini's & shortcuts on all drives. Nothing else, however, is changed,
including Registry or other zipped backups, Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, or
anything. And, there was a reference in Autoexec.bat that I needed to
change (for a CD-R/W drive letter). It also will not change references
that are binary, but those are generally in MRU lists & will auto-adjust
in time. Here's my experience in changing a drive letter-- no trouble
with "W:\", since the change.

CD-R/W Drive Letter Change

Using Device Manager, I changed my CD-R/W letter from E: to W: "Control
Panel, System, Device Manager tab, open CD-ROM branch, D-Clk CD-ROM for
Properties, Settings tab, enter 'W' for both start/end drive letter, OK,
OK". Then, I ran PC Mag's COA2, to change system references. Having
carefully read the docs, I typed E: for old addr; W:, for new. Neither
existed! I put a formatted CD into W: (on a hunch), tried again, & the
"Change Now" button lit up. (Unexpectedly, using the "Browse" button, it
wrote"W:\" for the new letter, so I fixed E: to "E:\", for the old.) I
was surprised to see, in the "Detail Report" screen, it changed INIs on
my D:partition. I didn't see a mention of it in the "Review Change
Records" screen-- maybe I missed a page; it's possible. Anyway, the
references were indeed now W:.

The only Shortcuts fixed were three on the START,Documents recent list.
On C:, only WINDOWS\winhelp.ini had a reference, not System.ini nor
Win.ini. On D:, CPQS\aqr.ini and CPQS\ACC\AQR.INI were fixed. Eight
Registry entries seemed clearly to be importantly and well changed.
There were references, in the Registry, it would not change, because
they were binary. These were in MRU (Most Recently Used) lists, making
them of little consequence.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> [...]
| I dont want to Reboot yet until I hear from one of you guys saying
that what
| I have done in
| editing the above files is okay.
| I have never Edited a Config.sys file before and I want to be sure.
| I am a tad worried that if I reboot, and something is amiss, I wont be
able
| to get back
| here (I am in Win98 right now, due to the fact that it is the only o/s
with
| a modem and
| connection to the internet via my ISP) to the newsgroups to
trouble-shoot.

| Boy, I hope I typed all of the above in a way that can be understood,
I put
| a lot of
| effort and thought into it.
|
| thanks guys........ I'll wait for a reply before I reboot to

Autoexec and config are not needed by W98 to boot. It is possible to alter
either file and cause the boot to hang but should that happen, you can boot
in safe mode and undo the changes. You could also use a start up floppy
disk and rename the files.

If you are going to continue to dual boot, I suggest you get a proper boot
manager that will not break when you do system work. I use:

BootIt Next Generation is available from: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
and it does partitioning, makes a compressed image, does many other
partitioning chores and is a boot manager. It is not quite as easy to use
as Partition Magic but it is half the cost and has more features. Unlike
the crippled PMagic demo, BING is a *full function* demo you can try for
FREE for 30 days. The web site has a lot of support articles.

One of the things you could have done with BING is hide the W98 partition
when XP boots and there would have been no drive letter problem. Or, you
could have created a second primary partition and loaded XP to it. That way
C: drive would always be the system you are using, D: and E: would be the
logical partitions and F: would have been the other operating system.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

> [...]
> I dont want to Reboot yet until I hear from one of you guys saying that
> what
> I have done in
> editing the above files is okay.
> I have never Edited a Config.sys file before and I want to be sure.
> I am a tad worried that if I reboot, and something is amiss, I wont be
> able
> to get back
> here (I am in Win98 right now, due to the fact that it is the only o/s
> with
> a modem and
> connection to the internet via my ISP) to the newsgroups to trouble-shoot.
>
> Boy, I hope I typed all of the above in a way that can be understood, I
> put
> a lot of
> effort and thought into it.
>
> thanks guys........ I'll wait for a reply before I reboot to see if

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Ron. This helps me greatly since I am considering buying BootIt.
Have an awesome day! :>

:
[...]
: --
: Regards
:
: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
:
: "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
: news:ed2R$9UJFHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > Hi all,,,,
: > I now have two O/S's, one on my Cdrive, and one on another
: > partitioned drive. I am very happy.
: > I do have one question that sees me sitting in win98 too afraid to
: > reboot.
: > First, my computer as it was::::::::
: > Cdrive = Win98 O/S
: > Ddrive = Autocad only.
: > Edrive = Playground and where all things get downloaded to.
: >
[...]

btw, I still like 98 better and am only
using xp for familiarity purposes as
mentioned prior.
(will someone here please update Dan
on that, he seems a little void of capiching)

regards Jane

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I hear you Jane but I still am greatly intimated by you. I am only one small
man who hopefully can change the world little by little. I do not understand
when people become too strong-willed and it makes me want to withdraw. BTW,
Goodnight -- signing off for the night from Tucson, Arizona.

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
:
:
: btw, I still like 98 better and am only
: using xp for familiarity purposes as
: mentioned prior.
: (will someone here please update Dan
: on that, he seems a little void of capiching)
:
: regards Jane
:
:

"> I hear you Jane but I still am greatly intimated by you.

HUH???

I sure hope you aint "i-n-t-i-m-a-t-e-d" by me, or you got
a lot of answering to do.
you is one strange cookie.

regards Jane

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sure, jane I accept that I may be strange but I am a unique individual. I
will avoid your posts in the future. Have a nice day!

:
: "> I hear you Jane but I still am greatly intimated by you.
:
: HUH???
:
: I sure hope you aint "i-n-t-i-m-a-t-e-d" by me, or you got
: a lot of answering to do.
: you is one strange cookie.
:
:
: regards Jane
:
:
:

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
> Autoexec and config are not needed by W98 to boot. It is possible to
alter
> either file and cause the boot to hang but should that happen, you can
boot
> in safe mode and undo the changes. You could also use a start up floppy
> disk and rename the files.

Rats. you missed the point and gist of what is going on in my comp.
I just want to know if it was okay to allocate the changes I made,
especially considering I have 4DOS whose path expects it to be
the same as Prior to my XP install.

I hear what you are saying Ron, but do you hear what I am
saying too?

This isnt about a better boot manager, or a fantastic partition maker,
its simply about whether or whether not I edited the two files
mentioned in a proper way.

regards Jane

You missed my point--if by chance you did make a mistake or something else
you might not have considered needed to be done, it is easily fixed by one
of the two methods I mentioned. So, you reboot and see how it works.

I mentioned the boot manager merely because the NT boot loader is
fragile--if you don't want to take my advice--don't. I will just avoid your
posts in the future so I won't bother you.

--

> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
>> Autoexec and config are not needed by W98 to boot. It is possible to
> alter
>> either file and cause the boot to hang but should that happen, you can
> boot
>> in safe mode and undo the changes. You could also use a start up floppy
>> disk and rename the files.
>
> Rats. you missed the point and gist of what is going on in my comp.
> I just want to know if it was okay to allocate the changes I made,
> especially considering I have 4DOS whose path expects it to be
> the same as Prior to my XP install.
>
> I hear what you are saying Ron, but do you hear what I am
> saying too?
>
> This isnt about a better boot manager, or a fantastic partition maker,
> its simply about whether or whether not I edited the two files
> mentioned in a proper way.
>
> regards Jane

Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::
"YES", you have done it correctly, or NO, you idiot, you have
done it wrong.

These answers were the only two I was looking for.

regards Jane

It's the latter, Jane. Sort of.

Let me see if I can simplify the question, first. You have a volume with
a changed drive letter, and in Win98, you can't force a specific drive
letter onto a hard disk volume. There are references to components on
that volume that got broken by changing the drive letter. You have
edited a relative few of those pointers to point to the new location.
There's a lot more that need to be changed.

As for Config.sys, you appear to have changed it properly. So reboot and
test it. And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change all
those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes needed in the
Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in other
configuration files.) Or, undo the changes you've made, then use a
partition tool to shrink your Win98 partition just a bit and add a new
D:\ drive. If you can afford 2 GB, you can make that the TEMP, where you
house TEMP and Temporary Internet Files, using a couple of lines in
Autoexec.bat and changing a setting in Internet Options. That way, what
was E:\ will remain E:\.

PS--The first post I see in this thread (or anywhere else, on this
topic) was at 1:06 AM Pacific Standard time. The last post, complaining
about 10 hours having gone by, shows as being posted at 4:10, a scant
three hours later.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
> over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::
> "YES", you have done it correctly, or NO, you idiot, you have
> done it wrong.
>
> These answers were the only two I was looking for.
>
> regards Jane

JM

Jane have you ever heard of *sleep* *time differences* and *work* ?? A good
majority of people who help in these ng's are either in the US or UK. You
can be so damn rude and demanding sometimes and I cannot believe you haven't
been plonked by now, I've seen people plonked for less. I don't know what
your game is or whether you're a very clever troll but you have made this ng
unbearable to view at times. Time and time again people have given you
instructions and asked you questions most of which are ignored. The majority
of threads in this ng for the past few months are all started by
you....enough already!! Do you know how to use a search engine? Ever heard
of Google? As for your current BS I don't know and I don't care and even if
I did know I wouldn't help you.

"jane" wrote:

> Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
> over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::
> "YES", you have done it correctly, or NO, you idiot, you have
> done it wrong.
>
> These answers were the only two I was looking for.
>
> regards Jane

> And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change all
> those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes needed in the
> Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in other
> configuration files.)

Hello gary,
Sweetie, if everything was futile, then so is your existence, and
certainly christs. (we dont wanna go there do we, lest truth
is the goal, better stick to comps and mans toys.)

If I have done correctly with this toy of which we all seem
obsessed, then I will simply reboot.

As for ALL the things you say I will forever be needing to
adjust, you are wrong. (after all, wasnt it you who said
all I had to do was to have a drive capable of accepting
xp, and hence just put it on there??)
After all, the only thing I have done is instal an O/S on
my computer,,, (and it computes just fine)
The only "problem", if that is the word, is pointing 'OLD' files
toward their new destination........ and this in itself if Not
a problem, its just like changing a flat tyre, something that has
to be done given a certain circumstance.
As for the 10 hours, it was actually longer, but you would have
to know the groups I posted in. As my post said

"Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::"
It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.

I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
last two days, not a single drama.

As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
experience concerning computers.......... I also have a trust
elsewhere.

I will now reboot,
thank you gary.

regards Jane

I didn't say "everything" was futile, just your effort to fix all
pointers to what was previously the E:\ partition to D:\. It really
depends on *what* was on the E:\ drive and how it's programmed. The more
sane solution is the one I suggested. Work it so that what *was* E:\
*stays* E:\.

But, yes, my existence is futile, if you want my honest opinion. So was
Jesus's, and there's even more evidence for *that* proposition.

As for the ten hours, I am, 1. Not aware of what other groups you post
to, and 2. Not aware of what other group you *would* post to for an
answer to this question, especially since you were looking for
confirmation or proper procedure from someone who posts to this
group--in essence continuing a thread that lives here. Besides, if you
want to whine about being ignored in some group where you posted ten
hours ago, go whine there, not here.

As for your self-centered belligerence, I'm with JM--you are on the
verge of being plonked, permanently. You want to play with the big boys,
start acting like one. Rule One is "Be polite. We are VOLUNTEERS, here!"

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> > And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change all
> > those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes needed in the
> > Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in other
> > configuration files.)
>
> Hello gary,
> Sweetie, if everything was futile, then so is your existence, and
> certainly christs. (we dont wanna go there do we, lest truth
> is the goal, better stick to comps and mans toys.)
>
> If I have done correctly with this toy of which we all seem
> obsessed, then I will simply reboot.
>
> As for ALL the things you say I will forever be needing to
> adjust, you are wrong. (after all, wasnt it you who said
> all I had to do was to have a drive capable of accepting
> xp, and hence just put it on there??)
> After all, the only thing I have done is instal an O/S on
> my computer,,, (and it computes just fine)
> The only "problem", if that is the word, is pointing 'OLD' files
> toward their new destination........ and this in itself if Not
> a problem, its just like changing a flat tyre, something that has
> to be done given a certain circumstance.
> As for the 10 hours, it was actually longer, but you would have
> to know the groups I posted in. As my post said
>
> "Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
> over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::"
> It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.
>

> I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
> last two days, not a single drama.
>
> As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
> correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
> I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
> experience concerning computers.......... I also have a trust
> elsewhere.
>
> I will now reboot,
> thank you gary.
>
> regards Jane

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"But, yes, my existence is futile, if you want my honest opinion. So was
Jesus's, and there's even more evidence for *that* proposition" -- From Gary

I respectfully disagree and believe that we are all unique individuals put on
this Earth by God with a specific Destiny to fulfil. However, imo this
newsgroup is neither the time or the place to get into a theological
discussion.

: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
[...]

Who asked you?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> "But, yes, my existence is futile, if you want my honest opinion. So
was
> Jesus's, and there's even more evidence for *that* proposition" --
From Gary

> [...]
> : > to be done given a certain circumstance.
> : > As for the 10 hours, it was actually longer, but you would have
> : > to know the groups I posted in. As my post said
> : >
> : > "Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
> : > over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::"
> : > It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.
> : >
> : >
> : > I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
> : > last two days, not a single drama.
> : >
> : > As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
> : > correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
> : > I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
> : > experience concerning computers.......... I also have a trust

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No one but I wanted my small voice to be heard in this vast newsgroup.

: Who asked you?
:
: --
: > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
: > news:u$p4DeYJFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > : I didn't say "everything" was futile, just your effort to fix all
: > : pointers to what was previously the E:\ partition to D:\. It really
: > : depends on *what* was on the E:\ drive and how it's programmed. The
: more
: > : sane solution is the one I suggested. Work it so that what *was* E:\
: > : *stays* E:\.
: > :
[...]
: > : --
: > : Gary S. Terhune
: > : MS MVP Shell/User
: > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: > :
: > : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
: > : news:u7GIPTYJFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: > : > > And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change all
: > : > > those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes needed in
: the
: > : > > Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in
: other
: > : > > configuration files.)
: > : >
[...]

Yes, I realize that you have that need. But in point of fact, your
dropping some pithy and usually irrelevant or otherwise unnecessary
comment into each and every thread you happen upon gets on people's
nerves. The end result is that fewer and fewer people are going to
listen to you. You will be "heard" less and less as being *you*, and
more an more as just more irksome background noise.

--

said:::::::::::"
> : > : > It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.
> : > : >
> : > : >
> : > : > I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
> : > : > last two days, not a single drama.
> : > : >
> : > : > As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
> : > : > correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
> : > : > I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
> : > : > experience concerning computers.......... I also have a
trust
> : > : > elsewhere.
> : > : >
> : > : > I will now reboot,
> : > : > thank you gary.
> : > : >
> : > : > regards Jane
> : > : >
> : > : >
> : > : >
> : > : >
> : > :
> : >
> : >
> :

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I understand and perhaps it is best if I stay away for a while.

[...]
: > : > :
[...]
: > : > : --
: > : > : Gary S. Terhune
: > : > : MS MVP Shell/User
: > : > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > : > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: > : > :
: > : > : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
: > : > : news:u7GIPTYJFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: > : > : > > And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change
: all
: > : > : > > those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes
: needed in
: > : the
: > : > : > > Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in
: > : other
: > : > : > > configuration files.)
: > : > : >
: said:::::::::::"
[...]

Hi jm,
sorry you feel that way, you must have been a natural.
some pick up things quicker than others, are you as good
at other things as you are at computers?

regards Jane

> You missed my point--if by chance you did make a mistake or something else
> you might not have considered needed to be done, it is easily fixed by one
> of the two methods I mentioned. So, you reboot and see how it works.
>
> I mentioned the boot manager merely because the NT boot loader is
> fragile--if you don't want to take my advice--don't. I will just avoid
your
> posts in the future so I won't bother you.

Hi ron,
I will still point all of my friends and colleagues toward you site,
no matter your personal feelings toward a slow learner.

regards Jane

hello gary,,,
I have rebooted, all is fine.
I did it after reading your post that it would be okay.
(first part of you msg was all I was interested in)
I watched the boot sequence and no more error messages
concerning Command.Com being missing or Corrupted.

See, I have done nothing wrong and the reboot was fine.
Not even a whisper about 'yproxy' either.

I have no idea why everyone is in such a huff, especially jm who I
barely see any replies from.

What is it with you guys, is it strictly a club for people who know
computers? or is it a place people can go to if they 'dont' know computers
that well.

as for belligerence and plonking, sounds more like a ruled regime.

jane

Jane, if you can't see why people, including me, are offended by your
attitude, if you can't understand when those of us who put serious
effort into carefully deciphering your communications and offering the
best advice we can are offended when you apparently fail to just as
carefully read what we've written, if you can't see why "everyone is in
a huff..."

Then I think I'll pass on any further replies to your posts.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> hello gary,,,
> I have rebooted, all is fine.
> I did it after reading your post that it would be okay.
> (first part of you msg was all I was interested in)
> I watched the boot sequence and no more error messages
> concerning Command.Com being missing or Corrupted.
>
> See, I have done nothing wrong and the reboot was fine.
> Not even a whisper about 'yproxy' either.
>
> I have no idea why everyone is in such a huff, especially jm who I
> barely see any replies from.
>
> What is it with you guys, is it strictly a club for people who know
> computers? or is it a place people can go to if they 'dont' know
computers
> that well.
>
> as for belligerence and plonking, sounds more like a ruled regime.
>
> jane

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I suggest you take a lesson in patience jane and try to work in a retail
environment where you get yelled at a lot. That has happened to me and it
certainly has helped to cool me down even though I tend to get hot-headed
Gary Terhune and all the others in this newsgroup especially Sandi, MVP have
been gracious and kind enough to forgive me when I have been wrong and gone
off the deep end.