Autoexec.bat & Config.sys in Win98

Hi all,,,,
I now have two O/S's, one on my Cdrive, and one on another
partitioned drive. I am very happy.
I do have one question that sees me sitting in win98 too afraid to
reboot.
First, my computer as it was::::::::
Cdrive = Win98 O/S
Ddrive = Autocad only.
Edrive = Playground and where all things get downloaded to.

My computer now::::::
Cdrive = Win98
Ddrive = Old Edrive(my playground. nothing is missing, its all there)
The above is when I boot to Win98.

My computer now 2:::::::::::
Cdrive = Win98
Ddrive = Where XP resides
Edrive = Edrive.
XP can see everything and also go into any file or folder regarding
Win98; and as you all know, it is reversed when using Win98,
it cannot see XP(I am using NTFS for xp).

So, the point here and my question, is "Associations"!
Due to the fact that all of my "playground" stuff now has a different
Drive-letter
as far as Win98 is concerned, (it sees all of the Edrive stuff, except via
the letter 'D'),
I had to go into the Properties of Every Icon on my desktop and change the
path from
E to D............. the instant I did this all of my icons reverted to
their original state.
Was nice to do a simple problem-fix, even if it did take a while to
re-assign the path.

Now, to TWO things that I am NOT real sure about, the ones that I am in here
for.
I have a folder called 'ResourceTools' and a Utility called '4Dos'.
Both of these are Dos orientated and now due to the fact that their paths
have changed,
(but only from the point of view of the Drive letter they aim at) they too
need 'altering'.
These two items are Both things that have 'Associations' in Autoexec.bat and
Config.sys.
They are also Both pointing to the wrong Drive-Letter.
As with the Icon Properties paths that needed to be changed, I believed the
above files
would need to be changed too.
(I say this primarily because I now believe it is why I get the msg
"Command.com cannot
be found or it is Corrupt" on boot-up of Win98.
So, my question is to the 'rules' of EDITING Autoexec.bat and Config.sys.
This is what I have done so far.
I went into my Cdrive (in win98) and simply right clicked on Autoexec.bat
and took off the
attributes. I then sent it to Notepad and simply changed the Drive letter it
was pointing to for
the New one it Should point to. Saved it, then closed it..............
simple
Next, I went to "Run, Msconfig" then brought up the config.sys tab, then
highlighted the offending
line, clicked on Edit, and simply changed the Driver letter there too to
reflect the obvious.

Now, we up to me typing.
I dont want to Reboot yet until I hear from one of you guys saying that what
I have done in
editing the above files is okay.
I have never Edited a Config.sys file before and I want to be sure.
I am a tad worried that if I reboot, and something is amiss, I wont be able
to get back
here (I am in Win98 right now, due to the fact that it is the only o/s with
a modem and
connection to the internet via my ISP) to the newsgroups to trouble-shoot.

Boy, I hope I typed all of the above in a way that can be understood, I put
a lot of
effort and thought into it.

thanks guys........ I'll wait for a reply before I reboot to see if I
edited correctly.

regards Jane
76 answers Last reply
More about autoexec config win98

    Autoexec and config are not needed by W98 to boot. It is possible to alter
    either file and cause the boot to hang but should that happen, you can boot
    in safe mode and undo the changes. You could also use a start up floppy
    disk and rename the files.

    If you are going to continue to dual boot, I suggest you get a proper boot
    manager that will not break when you do system work. I use:

    BootIt Next Generation is available from: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    and it does partitioning, makes a compressed image, does many other
    partitioning chores and is a boot manager. It is not quite as easy to use
    as Partition Magic but it is half the cost and has more features. Unlike
    the crippled PMagic demo, BING is a *full function* demo you can try for
    FREE for 30 days. The web site has a lot of support articles.

    One of the things you could have done with BING is hide the W98 partition
    when XP boots and there would have been no drive letter problem. Or, you
    could have created a second primary partition and loaded XP to it. That way
    C: drive would always be the system you are using, D: and E: would be the
    logical partitions and F: would have been the other operating system.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > I dont want to Reboot yet until I hear from one of you guys saying that
    > what
    > I have done in
    > editing the above files is okay.
    > I have never Edited a Config.sys file before and I want to be sure.
    > I am a tad worried that if I reboot, and something is amiss, I wont be
    > able
    > to get back
    > here (I am in Win98 right now, due to the fact that it is the only o/s
    > with
    > a modem and
    > connection to the internet via my ISP) to the newsgroups to trouble-shoot.
    >
    > Boy, I hope I typed all of the above in a way that can be understood, I
    > put
    > a lot of
    > effort and thought into it.
    >
    > thanks guys........ I'll wait for a reply before I reboot to see if

    What happened to "Ddrive = Autocad only"?

    I really think some of the others, like Badour & even Terhune, are
    correct to suggest you should arrange it so that Win98 system files
    require no adjustments. Likely, then, you'd have to uninstall XP, delete
    it's partition (or put Autocad back in there?), and create a partition
    for XP that would not disturb the original drive lettering.

    However, if you want to keep it as is, then...

    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's COA2 will help with this. After you move a file
    or folder, you may use COA2 to change system references to the new
    address. It will change references in the current Registry and all
    ..ini's & shortcuts on all drives. Nothing else, however, is changed,
    including Registry or other zipped backups, Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, or
    anything. And, there was a reference in Autoexec.bat that I needed to
    change (for a CD-R/W drive letter). It also will not change references
    that are binary, but those are generally in MRU lists & will auto-adjust
    in time. Here's my experience in changing a drive letter-- no trouble
    with "W:\", since the change.

    CD-R/W Drive Letter Change

    Using Device Manager, I changed my CD-R/W letter from E: to W: "Control
    Panel, System, Device Manager tab, open CD-ROM branch, D-Clk CD-ROM for
    Properties, Settings tab, enter 'W' for both start/end drive letter, OK,
    OK". Then, I ran PC Mag's COA2, to change system references. Having
    carefully read the docs, I typed E: for old addr; W:, for new. Neither
    existed! I put a formatted CD into W: (on a hunch), tried again, & the
    "Change Now" button lit up. (Unexpectedly, using the "Browse" button, it
    wrote"W:\" for the new letter, so I fixed E: to "E:\", for the old.) I
    was surprised to see, in the "Detail Report" screen, it changed INIs on
    my D:partition. I didn't see a mention of it in the "Review Change
    Records" screen-- maybe I missed a page; it's possible. Anyway, the
    references were indeed now W:.

    The only Shortcuts fixed were three on the START,Documents recent list.
    On C:, only WINDOWS\winhelp.ini had a reference, not System.ini nor
    Win.ini. On D:, CPQS\aqr.ini and CPQS\ACC\AQR.INI were fixed. Eight
    Registry entries seemed clearly to be importantly and well changed.
    There were references, in the Registry, it would not change, because
    they were binary. These were in MRU (Most Recently Used) lists, making
    them of little consequence.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
    | I dont want to Reboot yet until I hear from one of you guys saying
    that what
    | I have done in
    | editing the above files is okay.
    | I have never Edited a Config.sys file before and I want to be sure.
    | I am a tad worried that if I reboot, and something is amiss, I wont be
    able
    | to get back
    | here (I am in Win98 right now, due to the fact that it is the only o/s
    with
    | a modem and
    | connection to the internet via my ISP) to the newsgroups to
    trouble-shoot.

    | Boy, I hope I typed all of the above in a way that can be understood,
    I put
    | a lot of
    | effort and thought into it.
    |
    | thanks guys........ I'll wait for a reply before I reboot to

    Thanks Ron. This helps me greatly since I am considering buying BootIt.
    Have an awesome day! :>

    :
[...]
    : --
    : Regards
    :
    : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    :
    : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    : news:ed2R$9UJFHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > Hi all,,,,
    : > I now have two O/S's, one on my Cdrive, and one on another
    : > partitioned drive. I am very happy.
    : > I do have one question that sees me sitting in win98 too afraid to
    : > reboot.
    : > First, my computer as it was::::::::
    : > Cdrive = Win98 O/S
    : > Ddrive = Autocad only.
    : > Edrive = Playground and where all things get downloaded to.
    : >
[...]

    btw, I still like 98 better and am only
    using xp for familiarity purposes as
    mentioned prior.
    (will someone here please update Dan
    on that, he seems a little void of capiching)

    regards Jane

    I hear you Jane but I still am greatly intimated by you. I am only one small
    man who hopefully can change the world little by little. I do not understand
    when people become too strong-willed and it makes me want to withdraw. BTW,
    Goodnight -- signing off for the night from Tucson, Arizona.

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    :
    :
    : btw, I still like 98 better and am only
    : using xp for familiarity purposes as
    : mentioned prior.
    : (will someone here please update Dan
    : on that, he seems a little void of capiching)
    :
    : regards Jane
    :
    :

    "> I hear you Jane but I still am greatly intimated by you.

    HUH???

    I sure hope you aint "i-n-t-i-m-a-t-e-d" by me, or you got
    a lot of answering to do.
    you is one strange cookie.

    regards Jane

    Sure, jane I accept that I may be strange but I am a unique individual. I
    will avoid your posts in the future. Have a nice day!

    :
    : "> I hear you Jane but I still am greatly intimated by you.
    :
    : HUH???
    :
    : I sure hope you aint "i-n-t-i-m-a-t-e-d" by me, or you got
    : a lot of answering to do.
    : you is one strange cookie.
    :
    :
    : regards Jane
    :
    :
    :

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Autoexec and config are not needed by W98 to boot. It is possible to
    alter
    > either file and cause the boot to hang but should that happen, you can
    boot
    > in safe mode and undo the changes. You could also use a start up floppy
    > disk and rename the files.

    Rats. you missed the point and gist of what is going on in my comp.
    I just want to know if it was okay to allocate the changes I made,
    especially considering I have 4DOS whose path expects it to be
    the same as Prior to my XP install.

    I hear what you are saying Ron, but do you hear what I am
    saying too?

    This isnt about a better boot manager, or a fantastic partition maker,
    its simply about whether or whether not I edited the two files
    mentioned in a proper way.

    regards Jane

    You missed my point--if by chance you did make a mistake or something else
    you might not have considered needed to be done, it is easily fixed by one
    of the two methods I mentioned. So, you reboot and see how it works.

    I mentioned the boot manager merely because the NT boot loader is
    fragile--if you don't want to take my advice--don't. I will just avoid your
    posts in the future so I won't bother you.

    --

    > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    >> Autoexec and config are not needed by W98 to boot. It is possible to
    > alter
    >> either file and cause the boot to hang but should that happen, you can
    > boot
    >> in safe mode and undo the changes. You could also use a start up floppy
    >> disk and rename the files.
    >
    > Rats. you missed the point and gist of what is going on in my comp.
    > I just want to know if it was okay to allocate the changes I made,
    > especially considering I have 4DOS whose path expects it to be
    > the same as Prior to my XP install.
    >
    > I hear what you are saying Ron, but do you hear what I am
    > saying too?
    >
    > This isnt about a better boot manager, or a fantastic partition maker,
    > its simply about whether or whether not I edited the two files
    > mentioned in a proper way.
    >
    > regards Jane

    Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
    over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::
    "YES", you have done it correctly, or NO, you idiot, you have
    done it wrong.

    These answers were the only two I was looking for.

    regards Jane

    It's the latter, Jane. Sort of.

    Let me see if I can simplify the question, first. You have a volume with
    a changed drive letter, and in Win98, you can't force a specific drive
    letter onto a hard disk volume. There are references to components on
    that volume that got broken by changing the drive letter. You have
    edited a relative few of those pointers to point to the new location.
    There's a lot more that need to be changed.

    As for Config.sys, you appear to have changed it properly. So reboot and
    test it. And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change all
    those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes needed in the
    Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in other
    configuration files.) Or, undo the changes you've made, then use a
    partition tool to shrink your Win98 partition just a bit and add a new
    D:\ drive. If you can afford 2 GB, you can make that the TEMP, where you
    house TEMP and Temporary Internet Files, using a couple of lines in
    Autoexec.bat and changing a setting in Internet Options. That way, what
    was E:\ will remain E:\.

    PS--The first post I see in this thread (or anywhere else, on this
    topic) was at 1:06 AM Pacific Standard time. The last post, complaining
    about 10 hours having gone by, shows as being posted at 4:10, a scant
    three hours later.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
    > over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::
    > "YES", you have done it correctly, or NO, you idiot, you have
    > done it wrong.
    >
    > These answers were the only two I was looking for.
    >
    > regards Jane

    Jane have you ever heard of *sleep* *time differences* and *work* ?? A good
    majority of people who help in these ng's are either in the US or UK. You
    can be so damn rude and demanding sometimes and I cannot believe you haven't
    been plonked by now, I've seen people plonked for less. I don't know what
    your game is or whether you're a very clever troll but you have made this ng
    unbearable to view at times. Time and time again people have given you
    instructions and asked you questions most of which are ignored. The majority
    of threads in this ng for the past few months are all started by
    you....enough already!! Do you know how to use a search engine? Ever heard
    of Google? As for your current BS I don't know and I don't care and even if
    I did know I wouldn't help you.

    "jane" wrote:

    > Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
    > over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::
    > "YES", you have done it correctly, or NO, you idiot, you have
    > done it wrong.
    >
    > These answers were the only two I was looking for.
    >
    > regards Jane

    > And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change all
    > those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes needed in the
    > Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in other
    > configuration files.)

    Hello gary,
    Sweetie, if everything was futile, then so is your existence, and
    certainly christs. (we dont wanna go there do we, lest truth
    is the goal, better stick to comps and mans toys.)

    If I have done correctly with this toy of which we all seem
    obsessed, then I will simply reboot.

    As for ALL the things you say I will forever be needing to
    adjust, you are wrong. (after all, wasnt it you who said
    all I had to do was to have a drive capable of accepting
    xp, and hence just put it on there??)
    After all, the only thing I have done is instal an O/S on
    my computer,,, (and it computes just fine)
    The only "problem", if that is the word, is pointing 'OLD' files
    toward their new destination........ and this in itself if Not
    a problem, its just like changing a flat tyre, something that has
    to be done given a certain circumstance.
    As for the 10 hours, it was actually longer, but you would have
    to know the groups I posted in. As my post said

    "Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
    over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::"
    It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.

    I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
    last two days, not a single drama.

    As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
    correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
    I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
    experience concerning computers.......... I also have a trust
    elsewhere.

    I will now reboot,
    thank you gary.

    regards Jane

    I didn't say "everything" was futile, just your effort to fix all
    pointers to what was previously the E:\ partition to D:\. It really
    depends on *what* was on the E:\ drive and how it's programmed. The more
    sane solution is the one I suggested. Work it so that what *was* E:\
    *stays* E:\.

    But, yes, my existence is futile, if you want my honest opinion. So was
    Jesus's, and there's even more evidence for *that* proposition.

    As for the ten hours, I am, 1. Not aware of what other groups you post
    to, and 2. Not aware of what other group you *would* post to for an
    answer to this question, especially since you were looking for
    confirmation or proper procedure from someone who posts to this
    group--in essence continuing a thread that lives here. Besides, if you
    want to whine about being ignored in some group where you posted ten
    hours ago, go whine there, not here.

    As for your self-centered belligerence, I'm with JM--you are on the
    verge of being plonked, permanently. You want to play with the big boys,
    start acting like one. Rule One is "Be polite. We are VOLUNTEERS, here!"

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > > And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change all
    > > those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes needed in the
    > > Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in other
    > > configuration files.)
    >
    > Hello gary,
    > Sweetie, if everything was futile, then so is your existence, and
    > certainly christs. (we dont wanna go there do we, lest truth
    > is the goal, better stick to comps and mans toys.)
    >
    > If I have done correctly with this toy of which we all seem
    > obsessed, then I will simply reboot.
    >
    > As for ALL the things you say I will forever be needing to
    > adjust, you are wrong. (after all, wasnt it you who said
    > all I had to do was to have a drive capable of accepting
    > xp, and hence just put it on there??)
    > After all, the only thing I have done is instal an O/S on
    > my computer,,, (and it computes just fine)
    > The only "problem", if that is the word, is pointing 'OLD' files
    > toward their new destination........ and this in itself if Not
    > a problem, its just like changing a flat tyre, something that has
    > to be done given a certain circumstance.
    > As for the 10 hours, it was actually longer, but you would have
    > to know the groups I posted in. As my post said
    >
    > "Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
    > over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::"
    > It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.
    >

    > I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
    > last two days, not a single drama.
    >
    > As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
    > correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
    > I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
    > experience concerning computers.......... I also have a trust
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > I will now reboot,
    > thank you gary.
    >
    > regards Jane

    "But, yes, my existence is futile, if you want my honest opinion. So was
    Jesus's, and there's even more evidence for *that* proposition" -- From Gary

    I respectfully disagree and believe that we are all unique individuals put on
    this Earth by God with a specific Destiny to fulfil. However, imo this
    newsgroup is neither the time or the place to get into a theological
    discussion.

    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
[...]

    Who asked you?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > "But, yes, my existence is futile, if you want my honest opinion. So
    was
    > Jesus's, and there's even more evidence for *that* proposition" --
    From Gary

> [...]
    > : > to be done given a certain circumstance.
    > : > As for the 10 hours, it was actually longer, but you would have
    > : > to know the groups I posted in. As my post said
    > : >
    > : > "Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's for
    > : > over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has said:::::::::::"
    > : > It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
    > : > last two days, not a single drama.
    > : >
    > : > As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
    > : > correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
    > : > I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
    > : > experience concerning computers.......... I also have a trust

    No one but I wanted my small voice to be heard in this vast newsgroup.

    : Who asked you?
    :
    : --
    : > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    : > news:u$p4DeYJFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > : I didn't say "everything" was futile, just your effort to fix all
    : > : pointers to what was previously the E:\ partition to D:\. It really
    : > : depends on *what* was on the E:\ drive and how it's programmed. The
    : more
    : > : sane solution is the one I suggested. Work it so that what *was* E:\
    : > : *stays* E:\.
    : > :
[...]
    : > : --
    : > : Gary S. Terhune
    : > : MS MVP Shell/User
    : > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    : > :
    : > : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    : > : news:u7GIPTYJFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    : > : > > And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change all
    : > : > > those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes needed in
    : the
    : > : > > Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in
    : other
    : > : > > configuration files.)
    : > : >
[...]

    Yes, I realize that you have that need. But in point of fact, your
    dropping some pithy and usually irrelevant or otherwise unnecessary
    comment into each and every thread you happen upon gets on people's
    nerves. The end result is that fewer and fewer people are going to
    listen to you. You will be "heard" less and less as being *you*, and
    more an more as just more irksome background noise.

    --

> [...]
    have
    > : > : > to know the groups I posted in. As my post said
    > : > : >
    > : > : > "Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's
    for
    > : > : > over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has
    said:::::::::::"
    > : > : > It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.
    > : > : >
    > : > : >
    > : > : > I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
    > : > : > last two days, not a single drama.
    > : > : >
    > : > : > As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
    > : > : > correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
    > : > : > I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
    > : > : > experience concerning computers.......... I also have a

    I understand and perhaps it is best if I stay away for a while.

[...]
    : > : > :
[...]
    : > : > : --
    : > : > : Gary S. Terhune
    : > : > : MS MVP Shell/User
    : > : > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : > : > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    : > : > :
    : > : > : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    : > : > : news:u7GIPTYJFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    : > : > : > > And then continue in your possibly futile effort to change
    : all
    : > : > : > > those pointers. (There will be *lots* of those changes
    : needed in
    : > : the
    : > : > : > > Registry, and there are often lots of other such pointers in
    : > : other
    : > : > : > > configuration files.)
    : > : > : >
    : said:::::::::::"
[...]
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hi jm,
    sorry you feel that way, you must have been a natural.
    some pick up things quicker than others, are you as good
    at other things as you are at computers?

    regards Jane
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > You missed my point--if by chance you did make a mistake or something else
    > you might not have considered needed to be done, it is easily fixed by one
    > of the two methods I mentioned. So, you reboot and see how it works.
    >
    > I mentioned the boot manager merely because the NT boot loader is
    > fragile--if you don't want to take my advice--don't. I will just avoid
    your
    > posts in the future so I won't bother you.

    Hi ron,
    I will still point all of my friends and colleagues toward you site,
    no matter your personal feelings toward a slow learner.

    regards Jane
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    hello gary,,,
    I have rebooted, all is fine.
    I did it after reading your post that it would be okay.
    (first part of you msg was all I was interested in)
    I watched the boot sequence and no more error messages
    concerning Command.Com being missing or Corrupted.

    See, I have done nothing wrong and the reboot was fine.
    Not even a whisper about 'yproxy' either.

    I have no idea why everyone is in such a huff, especially jm who I
    barely see any replies from.

    What is it with you guys, is it strictly a club for people who know
    computers? or is it a place people can go to if they 'dont' know computers
    that well.

    as for belligerence and plonking, sounds more like a ruled regime.

    jane
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Jane, if you can't see why people, including me, are offended by your
    attitude, if you can't understand when those of us who put serious
    effort into carefully deciphering your communications and offering the
    best advice we can are offended when you apparently fail to just as
    carefully read what we've written, if you can't see why "everyone is in
    a huff..."

    Then I think I'll pass on any further replies to your posts.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > hello gary,,,
    > I have rebooted, all is fine.
    > I did it after reading your post that it would be okay.
    > (first part of you msg was all I was interested in)
    > I watched the boot sequence and no more error messages
    > concerning Command.Com being missing or Corrupted.
    >
    > See, I have done nothing wrong and the reboot was fine.
    > Not even a whisper about 'yproxy' either.
    >
    > I have no idea why everyone is in such a huff, especially jm who I
    > barely see any replies from.
    >
    > What is it with you guys, is it strictly a club for people who know
    > computers? or is it a place people can go to if they 'dont' know
    computers
    > that well.
    >
    > as for belligerence and plonking, sounds more like a ruled regime.
    >
    > jane

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I suggest you take a lesson in patience jane and try to work in a retail
    environment where you get yelled at a lot. That has happened to me and it
    certainly has helped to cool me down even though I tend to get hot-headed
    Gary Terhune and all the others in this newsgroup especially Sandi, MVP have
    been gracious and kind enough to forgive me when I have been wrong and gone
    off the deep end.

[...]
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    <snip>

    Peace, Jane. I already talk to Microsoft frequently, am a shareholder, user
    of their products and hold no grudge against Gary S. Terhune or anyone else.
    The only small argument between me and David Candy is resolved. Actually, I
    only am replying to your post since you included my name and I wanted to set
    the story correct that you stand alone in this Jane. Now, let us bow our
    heads in prayer and remember the great man Alex who served Microsoft so well.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > What happened to "Ddrive = Autocad only"?

    Hi PCR,
    I took Autocad off only because it was sitting on its own 10gig
    partition, just seemed impractical leaving it there when I was
    desperately wanting to put xp on.
    I now have the choice of putting autocad into xp or simply
    putting it on my other drive in win98........ I'm really happy
    about it all so far.

    > I really think some of the others, like Badour & even Terhune, are
    > correct to suggest you should arrange it so that Win98 system files
    > require no adjustments. Likely, then, you'd have to uninstall XP, delete
    > it's partition (or put Autocad back in there?), and create a partition
    > for XP that would not disturb the original drive lettering.

    Maybe thats true, but I dont have a third party partition maker at the
    moment, nor the $$$ to go get one. (we live a modest life here)

    > However, if you want to keep it as is, then...

    Its not like I want to 'keep' it as it is, its just how it ended
    up. I never dreamed it would cause problems or drive paths
    to differ.
    Funny thing though, at this stage everything is fine.
    Which area of the registry might I find errors or discrepencies now?
    Also, what type of problems do you think may come up soon?
    I sure hope its okay because I can now focus a little more on college
    work owing to having xp.

    > http://www.pcmag.com/ 's COA2 will help with this. After you move a file
    > or folder, you may use COA2 to change system references to the new
    > address. It will change references in the current Registry and all
    > .ini's & shortcuts on all drives. Nothing else, however, is changed,
    > including Registry or other zipped backups, Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, or
    > anything. And, there was a reference in Autoexec.bat that I needed to
    > change (for a CD-R/W drive letter). It also will not change references
    > that are binary, but those are generally in MRU lists & will auto-adjust
    > in time. Here's my experience in changing a drive letter-- no trouble
    > with "W:\", since the change.
    >
    > CD-R/W Drive Letter Change
    >
    > Using Device Manager, I changed my CD-R/W letter from E: to W: "Control
    > Panel, System, Device Manager tab, open CD-ROM branch, D-Clk CD-ROM for
    > Properties, Settings tab, enter 'W' for both start/end drive letter, OK,
    > OK". Then, I ran PC Mag's COA2, to change system references. Having
    > carefully read the docs, I typed E: for old addr; W:, for new. Neither
    > existed! I put a formatted CD into W: (on a hunch), tried again, & the
    > "Change Now" button lit up. (Unexpectedly, using the "Browse" button, it
    > wrote"W:\" for the new letter, so I fixed E: to "E:\", for the old.) I
    > was surprised to see, in the "Detail Report" screen, it changed INIs on
    > my D:partition. I didn't see a mention of it in the "Review Change
    > Records" screen-- maybe I missed a page; it's possible. Anyway, the
    > references were indeed now W:.
    >
    > The only Shortcuts fixed were three on the START,Documents recent list.
    > On C:, only WINDOWS\winhelp.ini had a reference, not System.ini nor
    > Win.ini. On D:, CPQS\aqr.ini and CPQS\ACC\AQR.INI were fixed. Eight
    > Registry entries seemed clearly to be importantly and well changed.
    > There were references, in the Registry, it would not change, because
    > they were binary. These were in MRU (Most Recently Used) lists, making
    > them of little consequence.

    Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    (you are a gentleman and a scholar)

    regards Jane
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | > What happened to "Ddrive = Autocad only"?
    |
    | Hi PCR,
    | I took Autocad off only because it was sitting on its own 10gig
    | partition, just seemed impractical leaving it there when I was
    | desperately wanting to put xp on.
    | I now have the choice of putting autocad into xp or simply
    | putting it on my other drive in win98........ I'm really happy
    | about it all so far.

    Uhuh.

    | > I really think some of the others, like Badour & even Terhune, are
    | > correct to suggest you should arrange it so that Win98 system files
    | > require no adjustments. Likely, then, you'd have to uninstall XP,
    delete
    | > it's partition (or put Autocad back in there?), and create a
    partition
    | > for XP that would not disturb the original drive lettering.
    |
    | Maybe thats true, but I dont have a third party partition maker at the
    | moment, nor the $$$ to go get one. (we live a modest life here)

    Some are inexpensive...

    http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
    capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
    downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
    Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
    dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
    install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.

    These two I haven't used or even ever clicked maybe...
    http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html Partition Commander
    http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

    | > However, if you want to keep it as is, then...
    |
    | Its not like I want to 'keep' it as it is, its just how it ended
    | up. I never dreamed it would cause problems or drive paths
    | to differ.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;51978
    Drive Letter Order Rules

    When you created an NTFS partition in place of the FAT32 that was your
    D:partition, it became invisible to Win98. So, what was E:partition now
    is D:partition.

    Had you installed XP into FAT32, it would have been seen by Win98, & E:
    would have remained E:. But probably Terhune's idea is better. You
    should have shrunk the original D:partition & used it for something
    else. Then, created a partition for XP where it wouldn't disturb the
    lettering. You'd have to look at the rules for that.

    | Funny thing though, at this stage everything is fine.
    | Which area of the registry might I find errors or discrepencies now?

    (a) START button, Run, RegEdit
    (b) Use it's Edit menu to search for "E:\"

    BUT, THAT may take quite a while. So...

    http://www.pcmag.com/
    PCMag's "Registry Detective" (take "RegEdit+ too) is better than a naked
    RegEdit search, because it will only find an item once, if there is a
    "mirror" elsewhere. Also, it will find items in binary fields, which
    RegEdit does not. Finally, it finds ALL matches in 10 seconds & puts
    them ALL to the screen. There is a Details button for further
    examination of the Key. The search criteria can be adjusted and narrowed
    in various ways. There is a button to click that will get one into
    RegEdit+ (or RegEdit) open to that Key. I only wish there were an easy
    way to copy/post the Keys that were found in the search.

    | Also, what type of problems do you think may come up soon?
    | I sure hope its okay because I can now focus a little more on college
    | work owing to having xp.

    It depends upon how much of the stuff in your old E:\Playground had ties
    in the Registry. Also, .ini's may be involved. You already fixed
    Autoexec.bat.

    | > http://www.pcmag.com/ 's COA2 will help with this. After you move a
    file
    | > or folder, you may use COA2 to change system references to the new
    | > address. It will change references in the current Registry and all
    | > .ini's & shortcuts on all drives. Nothing else, however, is changed,
    | > including Registry or other zipped backups, Autoexec.bat,
    Config.sys, or
    | > anything. And, there was a reference in Autoexec.bat that I needed
    | > change (for a CD-R/W drive letter). It also will not change
    references
    | > that are binary, but those are generally in MRU lists & will
    auto-adjust
    | > in time. Here's my experience in changing a drive letter-- no
    trouble
    | > with "W:\", since the change.
    | >
    | > CD-R/W Drive Letter Change
    | >
    | > Using Device Manager, I changed my CD-R/W letter from E: to W:
    "Control
    | > Panel, System, Device Manager tab, open CD-ROM branch, D-Clk CD-ROM
    for
    | > Properties, Settings tab, enter 'W' for both start/end drive letter,
    OK,
    | > OK". Then, I ran PC Mag's COA2, to change system references. Having
    | > carefully read the docs, I typed E: for old addr; W:, for new.
    Neither
    | > existed! I put a formatted CD into W: (on a hunch), tried again, &
    the
    | > "Change Now" button lit up. (Unexpectedly, using the "Browse"
    button, it
    | > wrote"W:\" for the new letter, so I fixed E: to "E:\", for the old.)
    | > was surprised to see, in the "Detail Report" screen, it changed INIs
    on
    | > my D:partition. I didn't see a mention of it in the "Review Change
    | > Records" screen-- maybe I missed a page; it's possible. Anyway, the
    | > references were indeed now W:.
    | >
    | > The only Shortcuts fixed were three on the START,Documents recent
    list.
    | > On C:, only WINDOWS\winhelp.ini had a reference, not System.ini nor
    | > Win.ini. On D:, CPQS\aqr.ini and CPQS\ACC\AQR.INI were fixed. Eight
    | > Registry entries seemed clearly to be importantly and well changed.
    | > There were references, in the Registry, it would not change, because
    | > they were binary. These were in MRU (Most Recently Used) lists,
    making
    | > them of little consequence.
    |
    | Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    | (you are a gentleman and a scholar)

    Right. Put in a good word for me with Brian A, then. I THINK he's
    planning to plonk me soon!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > | Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    > | (you are a gentleman and a scholar)
    >
    > Right. Put in a good word for me with Brian A, then. I THINK he's
    > planning to plonk me soon!

    Hi PCR,
    such silly petty people here sometimes, its like they all presume they
    are god or his gift to humanity....... or worse still, they are self
    orientated ppl who think they rule the world via their comp
    knowledge, (or in Dans case, lack).
    if Brian is an understanding person and can see through the others
    quest for rule, then he will already know you are the type to go
    above and beyond to assist NEW users.
    (gotta tell ya bud, if it wasnt for some of your posts egging me on,
    i may just have quit a few times)

    Anyhow, Great News.
    I have been back and forth between win98 & xp and not one single
    drama......... we ozzies just like to solve things and move on.
    I have checked any and every 'thing' concerning relations to Dos
    utilities I have, and am happy to report the comp is running slick.
    In fact, I heard I wouldnt even be able to really have xp and 98 from some
    guru here due to my 256 of ram, would love to have him in my
    lounge right now.

    No kidding PCR, both O/S's run as if they just come out of the shop.

    As for the Drive Letters, I have sorta gotten used to them already.
    The only real thing that has occured, is my win98 can now only see
    and utilise 2 drive(s) (letters), these being C & D.
    I have no problem with this, in fact I expected something like this.
    As for switching over (rebooting) to xp, it can see and use all
    three drive(s) letters........... pretty cool I thought.

    I do have a couple of questions, but I'll post them next post.

    thanks PCR, you da man.

    Hey, Brian, give PCR credit where its due........ he never once
    backed down on good advice, but more than that, he has the
    ability to recognise someone who is new and scared but also
    smart enough to ask questions..... no matter how tedious the questions,
    he hangs in there and helps the user til the end.
    These are 'qualities', something others would do well to seek and
    endear to themselves.
    He also never backed down in calling a spade a spade: he endorsed
    gary's advice even though gary was ignoring him. (phaps he was playing
    with dan or his other pups).

    regards Jane
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Please stop insulting Gary and me, Jane and please stop mentioning my name.
    May God go with you Jane and may you someday discover the true light, Jane.
    BTW, I am not afraid of the darkness or anything else except God and yes not
    even death. I hope that you will refrain from posting such craziness in the
    future and I suggest you relax, have a warm bath and maybe watch a good
    movie. Take a break from the computer Jane because the computer can become
    higher than God in your life if you are not careful.

[...]
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I'm glad all is working well & that I have been able to help. Soon, I
    must get off my butt, like you & dadiOH & get some material work done,
    myself. This is because the contractors I've called have given me free
    estimates that have put me into the hospital twice. And the hospital has
    taken all my money!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    | > | Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    | > | (you are a gentleman and a scholar)
    | >
    | > Right. Put in a good word for me with Brian A, then. I THINK he's
    | > planning to plonk me soon!
    |

    | Hi PCR,
    | such silly petty people here sometimes, its like they all presume they
    | are god or his gift to humanity....... or worse still, they are
    self
    | orientated ppl who think they rule the world via their comp
    | knowledge, (or in Dans case, lack).
    | if Brian is an understanding person and can see through the others
    | quest for rule, then he will already know you are the type to go
    | above and beyond to assist NEW users.
    | (gotta tell ya bud, if it wasnt for some of your posts egging me on,
    | i may just have quit a few times)
    |
    | Anyhow, Great News.
    | I have been back and forth between win98 & xp and not one single
    | drama......... we ozzies just like to solve things and move on.
    | I have checked any and every 'thing' concerning relations to Dos
    | utilities I have, and am happy to report the comp is running slick.
    | In fact, I heard I wouldnt even be able to really have xp and 98 from
    some
    | guru here due to my 256 of ram, would love to have him in my
    | lounge right now.
    |
    | No kidding PCR, both O/S's run as if they just come out of the shop.
    |
    | As for the Drive Letters, I have sorta gotten used to them already.
    | The only real thing that has occured, is my win98 can now only see
    | and utilise 2 drive(s) (letters), these being C & D.
    | I have no problem with this, in fact I expected something like this.
    | As for switching over (rebooting) to xp, it can see and use all
    | three drive(s) letters........... pretty cool I thought.
    |
    | I do have a couple of questions, but I'll post them next post.
    |
    | thanks PCR, you da man.
    |
    | Hey, Brian, give PCR credit where its due........ he never once
    | backed down on good advice, but more than that, he has the
    | ability to recognise someone who is new and scared but also
    | smart enough to ask questions..... no matter how tedious the
    questions,
    | he hangs in there and helps the user til the end.
    | These are 'qualities', something others would do well to seek and
    | endear to themselves.
    | He also never backed down in calling a spade a spade: he endorsed
    | gary's advice even though gary was ignoring him. (phaps he was playing
    | with dan or his other pups).
    |
    | regards Jane

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Are you saying you are sick or need building repairs or both? <???> :<

    : I'm glad all is working well & that I have been able to help. Soon, I
    : must get off my butt, like you & dadiOH & get some material work done,
    : myself. This is because the contractors I've called have given me free
    : estimates that have put me into the hospital twice. And the hospital has
    : taken all my money!
    :
    :
    : --
    : Thanks or Good Luck,
    : There may be humor in this post, and,
    : Naturally, you will not sue,
    : should things get worse after this,
    : PCR
    : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    : news:OiQsdzjJFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : | > | Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    : | > | (you are a gentleman and a scholar)
    : | >
    : | > Right. Put in a good word for me with Brian A, then. I THINK he's
    : | > planning to plonk me soon!
    : |
    : |
[...]
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I've not been in a hospital as a patient in... has to be... 30 or so
    years. But I'm sure I'm sick. Anyway, it's the building repairs I must
    do. Last time I did a vacuuming in here, I SWORE I'd do a repair before
    I saw that much dust again. But now look at it!

    --
    | Are you saying you are sick or need building repairs or both? <???>
    :<

    | : I'm glad all is working well & that I have been able to help. Soon,
    | : must get off my butt, like you & dadiOH & get some material work
    done,
    | : myself. This is because the contractors I've called have given me
    free
    | : estimates that have put me into the hospital twice. And the hospital
    has
    | : taken all my money!
    | :
    | :
    | : --
    | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : should things get worse after this,
    | : PCR
    | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    | : news:OiQsdzjJFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | : | > | Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    | : | > | (you are a gentleman and a scholar)
    | : | >
    | : | > Right. Put in a good word for me with Brian A, then. I THINK
    he's
    | : | > planning to plonk me soon!
    | : |
    | : |
    | : | Hi PCR,
    | : | such silly petty people here sometimes, its like they all presume
    they
    | : | are god or his gift to humanity....... or worse still, they
    are
    | : self
    | : | orientated ppl who think they rule the world via their comp
    | : | knowledge, (or in Dans case, lack).
    | : | if Brian is an understanding person and can see through the others
    | : | quest for rule, then he will already know you are the type to go
    | : | above and beyond to assist NEW users.
    | : | (gotta tell ya bud, if it wasnt for some of your posts egging me
    on,
    | : | i may just have quit a few times)
    | : |
    | : | Anyhow, Great News.
    | : | I have been back and forth between win98 & xp and not one single
    | : | drama......... we ozzies just like to solve things and move on.
    | : | I have checked any and every 'thing' concerning relations to Dos
    | : | utilities I have, and am happy to report the comp is running
    slick.
    | : | In fact, I heard I wouldnt even be able to really have xp and 98
    from
    | : some
    | : | guru here due to my 256 of ram, would love to have him in my
    | : | lounge right now.
    | : |
    | : | No kidding PCR, both O/S's run as if they just come out of the
    shop.
    | : |
    | : | As for the Drive Letters, I have sorta gotten used to them
    already.
    | : | The only real thing that has occured, is my win98 can now only see
    | : | and utilise 2 drive(s) (letters), these being C & D.
    | : | I have no problem with this, in fact I expected something like
    this.
    | : | As for switching over (rebooting) to xp, it can see and use all
    | : | three drive(s) letters........... pretty cool I
    thought.
    | : |
    | : | I do have a couple of questions, but I'll post them next post.
    | : |
    | : | thanks PCR, you da man.
    | : |
    | : | Hey, Brian, give PCR credit where its due........ he never once
    | : | backed down on good advice, but more than that, he has the
    | : | ability to recognise someone who is new and scared but also
    | : | smart enough to ask questions..... no matter how tedious the
    | : questions,
    | : | he hangs in there and helps the user til the end.
    | : | These are 'qualities', something others would do well to seek and
    | : | endear to themselves.
    | : | He also never backed down in calling a spade a spade: he endorsed
    | : | gary's advice even though gary was ignoring him. (phaps he was
    playing
    | : | with dan or his other pups).
    | : |
    | : | regards Jane
    | : |
    | : |
    | :
    | :

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well I will join your club. I did manage to get a flu shot. However, now I
    have the rotten common cold. I hate being sick. <Cough, cough> <stuffed up
    and dry coughs>

    : I've not been in a hospital as a patient in... has to be... 30 or so
    : years. But I'm sure I'm sick. Anyway, it's the building repairs I must
    : do. Last time I did a vacuuming in here, I SWORE I'd do a repair before
    : I saw that much dust again. But now look at it!
    :
    :
    : --
    : Thanks or Good Luck,
    : There may be humor in this post, and,
    : Naturally, you will not sue,
    : should things get worse after this,
    : PCR
    : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    : news:ey%23cnBrJFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : | Are you saying you are sick or need building repairs or both? <???>
    : :<
    : |
    : | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    : | news:eT9J79nJFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : | : I'm glad all is working well & that I have been able to help. Soon,
    : I
    : | : must get off my butt, like you & dadiOH & get some material work
    : done,
    : | : myself. This is because the contractors I've called have given me
    : free
    : | : estimates that have put me into the hospital twice. And the hospital
    : has
    : | : taken all my money!
    : | :
    : | :
    : | : --
    : | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    : | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    : | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    : | : should things get worse after this,
    : | : PCR
    : | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : | : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    : | : news:OiQsdzjJFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : | : | > | Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    : | : | > | (you are a gentleman and a scholar)
    : | : | >
    : | : | > Right. Put in a good word for me with Brian A, then. I THINK
    : he's
    : | : | > planning to plonk me soon!
    : | : |
    : | : |
[...]
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Do you know how to use a search engine?

    Yup.

    Ever heard
    > of Google?

    Yup, used it to look up you.

    As for your current BS I don't know and I don't care and even if
    > I did know I wouldn't help you.

    Of course you wont JM, you are the perfect image of perfection,
    and heaven forbid we interupt your world or your *ownership*
    of the *public forum of win98 ng's*

    Whats the matter JM, your world collapse because *you* personally
    have a tolerance level that isnt quite as good as others?
    Are you peeved that you just dont have the strengh of character outside
    your office to deal with the *mundane* or *hobo*?
    Perhaps the maid didnt mash the tatoes just how you like.

    get a life sunshine.

    your knowledge of the inner workings of a computer does not put you
    on the top of the list for going to heaven.
    Tell me, can you pour concrete?
    Can you pitch a roof?
    Can you stich or sew?
    Can you cook a roast?
    Can you stack a supermarket shelf?
    Can you make a paper bag?

    Take note JM, unless someone makes a paper bag, you wont have
    nothing to put your lunch in........ we are all important, not just
    comp junkies.

    regards Jane

    and yes, plonk me, I dont think I wish to know a self-centered
    person anyway........... specially one who thinks the world
    revolves around him only......
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > I mentioned the boot manager merely because the NT boot loader is
    > fragile--if you don't want to take my advice--don't. I will just avoid
    your
    > posts in the future so I won't bother you.

    Hi Ron,
    Thats the 'beauty' of choice, you can choose whatever you will.
    If you 'choose' to not assist, then that is your choice, but I bet you
    will lurk my posts.

    Ronald, (I'm from reading-berkshire, so I know the name 'ron' well)
    I did and still do appreciate the tremendously important advice you
    offered, I am not non humble to not admit that.
    I was only trying to say to all people involved in this post, that I had
    already taken the advice regarding putting on XP, and actually put
    it on my computer.
    This advice goes back weeks and weeks, and as will be noted, the
    only reason I hadnt put xp on, was that little bit of fear in finally
    pushing the 'button' that says 'instal'.
    This is not a new issue ron, it was rather me just telling all who had
    helped that I FINALLY did it.
    How do you think I felt when I told everyone I did it, and they all
    came back and flamed me?
    I was so 'over the moon' that I thought everyone would be happy
    for me.
    I only had ONE question and it was regarding how the Instal of xp
    had altered my drives/letters a tad. It wasnt that big-a-deal.
    I fixed the shortcut-icons associations and was just a little unsure of
    the associations that two Dos things showed.
    I have since altered what I mentioned in other posts and my system
    is runing fine, whether in xp mode or win98 mode.
    (I hope others come here with similar questions, because I for one
    will gladly assist)

    If your gripe is my slowness, or my mannersim, or whatever, then
    simply dont answer any of my posts.
    You are free to do this as it is a global Public forum.
    I am not going to apologise for something I did not do wrong, but
    you would be surprised at how humble I can be given the correct
    circumstance............ I can also be Fire if I believe I have
    been
    wronged.

    regards Jane
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > As for your self-centered belligerence, I'm with JM--you are on the
    > verge of being plonked, permanently. You want to play with the big boys,
    > start acting like one. Rule One is "Be polite. We are VOLUNTEERS, here!"

    Hello Volunteer,
    I think if you git off your High Horsey, you will find the group is
    global and ALL are volunteers.
    I have no problem at all 'playing with the BIG BOYS, if that is what
    you consider yourself just because you know more about comps
    than little sally down the street.
    But one day, little sally will grow up to be a lawyer, then you will
    be begging for her assistance when your dog gets hit by a car.
    (and knowing your american mentality, you will sue, sue, sue, )
    She may even grow up to be a tailor, and you will come to her
    humbly because you want a suit made.

    BIG BOYS, you dont even know what it means sunny.
    You live in a world that is protected by the mentality you created
    within your own mind.
    I bet your wife is wondering where her BIG BOY is half the time.
    You spend the most precious gift you have clicking away at the
    keyboard, not even noticing what is really going on around you.

    When was the last time you tuned into the six-oclock-news?
    Did you phone one of the charity organisations so you could donate
    money to the little girl who just got her foot blown off by a land-mine.?
    or were you petting the pups at the time and didnt notice.

    BTW, mister BIG-BOY computer extraordinaire, what are you
    going to do regarding the funeral arrangements regarding the Dean?

    You certainly cant set foot into a church, you dont BELIEVE.
    You cant PRAY that his soul will go to heaven, because you
    dont BELIEVE.
    You cant attend any sort of 'service', because it grates upon your
    belief that you yourself are the be-all-end-all of life and hence there
    is no POINT.
    Just what are you going to do mister comp genius?

    Perhaps you can pen something in NotePad and hide it away in a
    file somewhere on your comp.
    Sorta got to make you wonder if you would turn up for your own
    wifes service if she were to pass-on due to an accident or etc.
    What would you do gary?
    You couldnt attend the service as its all "hoo haa" to you.

    Wake up "BOY", knowing stuff about computers is NOT going to
    allow you the ability to instal kitchen cupboards.
    Like I said in another post, (since you brought american agro into
    the ngs) you need truck drivers to bring food to the supermarket so
    that the supermarket-stackers can stack it on the shelves so that you
    or your missus can conveniently go and put the products in your
    shopping trolley.
    You AINT no genius and neither is JM, you are just both VERY
    SMALL COGS in a wheel that makes ALL things happen.

    aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, I feel better now.
    Still wanna play with the Big Boys?
    (or are ian and jane more than you can handle)

    regards Jane
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    jane wrote:
    > Wake up "BOY", knowing stuff about computers is NOT going to
    > allow you the ability to instal kitchen cupboards.

    They aren't mutually exclusive, you know. I know a bit about computers
    but as soon as I hit "send" I'm off to finish up a chest of drawers I'm
    building. (already built and installed the kitchen cabs...32 running
    feet, both uppers and lowers, plus a 3' X 5' island)

    Got 1800-2000 sq.ft more of tile to lay too (done about 1300 sq.ft
    already). Plus about the same of sand laid bricks for a courtyard.
    Need to replace 2-3 roof tiles that were broken when tree limbs were
    snapped off by a hurricane and broke the tiles when they fell. Been
    remiss in that, getting at the age when I don't like getting on roofs.
    I also need to build a dinghy so I can get out in the lake and kill off
    weeds. Et cetera ad infinitum...

    The point is, having some knowledge about one thing does not preclude a
    knowledge/skill about other things.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hi dadiHO,
    good onya mate, you are exactly the personna
    that we all should show,
    Keen to do things and keen to help others.
    None of us 'lost in space floating on the outside of a rock" humans
    are Exclusive, its such a flipping shame that we only seem to type
    it rather than live it.

    I agree with you bud, when I have hit send, I go off too to
    do other stuff.

    Woe, sounds like the hurricane paid you a visit big-time.
    So stoked to know you are out there with your shirt off
    too doing some tiling and paving and stuff.
    Ian and I are helping someone put pavers down at the moment,
    no probs here about getting away from the keyboard and working
    up a sweat; after doing this sort of thing we always feel 'satisfied'.

    Hey, how bout catchin' all da fishes first and scoffing them before
    you kill the weeds.
    (in oz, we love sea-food, and that goes for anything that swims or
    comes outta the water)

    I agree about your last comment bro', we all got something to do
    or on our minds, and diversity is a great thing.
    We here dont have much money, but we have lots of projects and lots
    of people we help in theirs, the satisfaction is more than sufficient.

    thanks dadiHO, your post was very welcome

    regards Jane

    > They aren't mutually exclusive, you know. I know a bit about computers
    > but as soon as I hit "send" I'm off to finish up a chest of drawers I'm
    > building. (already built and installed the kitchen cabs...32 running
    > feet, both uppers and lowers, plus a 3' X 5' island)
    >
    > Got 1800-2000 sq.ft more of tile to lay too (done about 1300 sq.ft
    > already). Plus about the same of sand laid bricks for a courtyard.
    > Need to replace 2-3 roof tiles that were broken when tree limbs were
    > snapped off by a hurricane and broke the tiles when they fell. Been
    > remiss in that, getting at the age when I don't like getting on roofs.
    > I also need to build a dinghy so I can get out in the lake and kill off
    > weeds. Et cetera ad infinitum...
    >
    > The point is, having some knowledge about one thing does not preclude a
    > knowledge/skill about other things.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    btw, if you see other posts of mine in the last few hours, they
    are full of 'agro' austrlian style, but only aimed at pretentious ppl
    who think they are the be-all-end-all, if you know what I mean.
    They got me and ian so riled that the keyboard had flames
    licking off of it.

    thanks for all your help too....

    regards Jane (& ian) (he deserved the mention this time)
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I never went for flu shots & still don't. It used to be I would get the
    flu every year. Once, I fainted from it in a restaurant, but resisted
    being hauled off to a hospital. Three ambulances were there & policemen!
    Next year, I fainted while taking a dump in my own bathroom, which
    confused my Chihuahua hugely! But these things haven't happened now for
    three/four years. So, I've outlasted it!

    --
    | Well I will join your club. I did manage to get a flu shot. However,
    now I
    | have the rotten common cold. I hate being sick. <Cough, cough>
    <stuffed up
    | and dry coughs>

    | : I've not been in a hospital as a patient in... has to be... 30 or so
    | : years. But I'm sure I'm sick. Anyway, it's the building repairs I
    must
    | : do. Last time I did a vacuuming in here, I SWORE I'd do a repair
    before
    | : I saw that much dust again. But now look at it!
    | :
    | :
    | : --
    | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : should things get worse after this,
    | : PCR
    | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    | : news:ey%23cnBrJFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    | : | Are you saying you are sick or need building repairs or both?
    <???>
    | : :<
    | : |
    | : | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | : | news:eT9J79nJFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    | : | : I'm glad all is working well & that I have been able to help.
    Soon,
    | : I
    | : | : must get off my butt, like you & dadiOH & get some material work
    | : done,
    | : | : myself. This is because the contractors I've called have given
    me
    | : free
    | : | : estimates that have put me into the hospital twice. And the
    hospital
    | : has
    | : | : taken all my money!
    | : | :
    | : | :
    | : | : --
    | : | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : | : should things get worse after this,
    | : | : PCR
    | : | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : | : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    | : | : news:OiQsdzjJFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | : | : | > | Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    | : | : | > | (you are a gentleman and a scholar)
    | : | : | >
    | : | : | > Right. Put in a good word for me with Brian A, then. I THINK
    | : he's
    | : | : | > planning to plonk me soon!
    | : | : |
    | : | : |
    | : | : | Hi PCR,
    | : | : | such silly petty people here sometimes, its like they all
    presume
    | : they
    | : | : | are god or his gift to humanity....... or worse still,
    they
    | : are
    | : | : self
    | : | : | orientated ppl who think they rule the world via their comp
    | : | : | knowledge, (or in Dans case, lack).
    | : | : | if Brian is an understanding person and can see through the
    others
    | : | : | quest for rule, then he will already know you are the type to
    go
    | : | : | above and beyond to assist NEW users.
    | : | : | (gotta tell ya bud, if it wasnt for some of your posts egging
    me
    | : on,
    | : | : | i may just have quit a few times)
    | : | : |
    | : | : | Anyhow, Great News.
    | : | : | I have been back and forth between win98 & xp and not one
    single
    | : | : | drama......... we ozzies just like to solve things and move
    on.
    | : | : | I have checked any and every 'thing' concerning relations to
    Dos
    | : | : | utilities I have, and am happy to report the comp is running
    | : slick.
    | : | : | In fact, I heard I wouldnt even be able to really have xp and
    98
    | : from
    | : | : some
    | : | : | guru here due to my 256 of ram, would love to have him in my
    | : | : | lounge right now.
    | : | : |
    | : | : | No kidding PCR, both O/S's run as if they just come out of the
    | : shop.
    | : | : |
    | : | : | As for the Drive Letters, I have sorta gotten used to them
    | : already.
    | : | : | The only real thing that has occured, is my win98 can now only
    see
    | : | : | and utilise 2 drive(s) (letters), these being C & D.
    | : | : | I have no problem with this, in fact I expected something like
    | : this.
    | : | : | As for switching over (rebooting) to xp, it can see and use
    all
    | : | : | three drive(s) letters........... pretty cool I
    | : thought.
    | : | : |
    | : | : | I do have a couple of questions, but I'll post them next post.
    | : | : |
    | : | : | thanks PCR, you da man.
    | : | : |
    | : | : | Hey, Brian, give PCR credit where its due........ he never
    once
    | : | : | backed down on good advice, but more than that, he has the
    | : | : | ability to recognise someone who is new and scared but also
    | : | : | smart enough to ask questions..... no matter how tedious the
    | : | : questions,
    | : | : | he hangs in there and helps the user til the end.
    | : | : | These are 'qualities', something others would do well to seek
    and
    | : | : | endear to themselves.
    | : | : | He also never backed down in calling a spade a spade: he
    endorsed
    | : | : | gary's advice even though gary was ignoring him. (phaps he was
    | : playing
    | : | : | with dan or his other pups).
    | : | : |
    | : | : | regards Jane
    | : | : |
    | : | : |
    | : | :
    | : | :
    | : |
    | : |
    | :
    | :

  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well I hope your good health run continues, PCR.

[...]
    : <???>
    : | : :<
    : | : |
    : | : | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    : | : | news:eT9J79nJFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : | : | : I'm glad all is working well & that I have been able to help.
    : Soon,
    : | : I
    : | : | : must get off my butt, like you & dadiOH & get some material work
    : | : done,
    : | : | : myself. This is because the contractors I've called have given
    : me
    : | : free
    : | : | : estimates that have put me into the hospital twice. And the
    : hospital
    : | : has
    : | : | : taken all my money!
    : | : | :
    : | : | :
    : | : | : --
    : | : | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    : | : | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    : | : | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    : | : | : should things get worse after this,
    : | : | : PCR
    : | : | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : | : | : "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    : | : | : news:OiQsdzjJFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : | : | : | > | Great, I will go check out the link, thanks PCR.
    : | : | : | > | (you are a gentleman and a scholar)
    : | : | : | >
    : | : | : | > Right. Put in a good word for me with Brian A, then. I THINK
    : | : he's
    : | : | : | > planning to plonk me soon!
    : | : | : |
    : | : | : |
[...]
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks. OK, bye.

    --
    | Well I hope your good health run continues, PCR.

    ....snip
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I've only blocked 2 people in this group - guess who they might be?
    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:ursr6wfJFHA.2772@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    > have
    > > : > : > to know the groups I posted in. As my post said
    > > : > : >
    > > : > : > "Do you know, I have had this question floating in the n/g's
    > for
    > > : > : > over TEN hours now, and not one single reply has
    > said:::::::::::"
    > > : > : > It just said "N/G'S". doesnt mean it was this one.
    > > : > : >
    > > : > : >
    > > : > : > I have been back and forth between Win98 and XP for the
    > > : > : > last two days, not a single drama.
    > > : > : >
    > > : > : > As I tried to explain to Ron, I was simply asking if I was
    > > : > : > correct in my editing procedure, and came here because
    > > : > : > I believe I have a certain trust in you guys regarding your
    > > : > : > experience concerning computers.......... I also have a

  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Who?

    --
    "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    I've only blocked 2 people in this group - guess who they might be?
    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > Yes, I realize that you have that need. But in point of fact, your
    > dropping some pithy and usually irrelevant or otherwise unnecessary
    > comment into each and every thread you happen upon gets on people's
    > nerves. The end result is that fewer and fewer people are going to
    > listen to you. You will be "heard" less and less as being *you*, and
    > more an more as just more irksome background noise.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    ....snip
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Rhymes with PAIN and CAN 8-)

    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:OwjtxLzJFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Who?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > I've only blocked 2 people in this group - guess who they might be?
    > --
    > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > > Yes, I realize that you have that need. But in point of fact, your
    > > dropping some pithy and usually irrelevant or otherwise unnecessary
    > > comment into each and every thread you happen upon gets on people's
    > > nerves. The end result is that fewer and fewer people are going to
    > > listen to you. You will be "heard" less and less as being *you*, and
    > > more an more as just more irksome background noise.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > ...snip

  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well have a nice life, Pebble. <smile>

    "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    Rhymes with PAIN and CAN 8-)

    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > Who?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > I've only blocked 2 people in this group - guess who they might be?
    > --
    > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > > Yes, I realize that you have that need. But in point of fact, your
    > > dropping some pithy and usually irrelevant or otherwise unnecessary
    > > comment into each and every thread you happen upon gets on people's
    > > nerves. The end result is that fewer and fewer people are going to
    > > listen to you. You will be "heard" less and less as being *you*, and
    > > more an more as just more irksome background noise.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > ...snip

  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I'm sure she will. OK, bye.

    --
    | Well have a nice life, Pebble. <smile>
    |
    | "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    | Rhymes with PAIN and CAN 8-)
    |
    | --
    | * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    | > Who?
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    | > I've only blocked 2 people in this group - guess who they might be?
    | > --
    | > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > > Yes, I realize that you have that need. But in point of fact, your
    | > > dropping some pithy and usually irrelevant or otherwise
    unnecessary
    | > > comment into each and every thread you happen upon gets on
    people's
    | > > nerves. The end result is that fewer and fewer people are going to
    | > > listen to you. You will be "heard" less and less as being *you*,
    and
    | > > more an more as just more irksome background noise.
    | > >
    | > > --
    | > > Gary S. Terhune
    | > > MS MVP Shell/User
    | > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | > ...snip

  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Do I hear irksome background noise from god botherers ??
    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:uG6tFZ5JFHA.336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > I'm sure she will. OK, bye.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > | Well have a nice life, Pebble. <smile>
    > |
    > | "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > | Rhymes with PAIN and CAN 8-)
    > |
    > | --
    > | * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > Who?
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > | > should things get worse after this,
    > | > PCR
    > | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | > "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > | > I've only blocked 2 people in this group - guess who they might be?
    > | > --
    > | > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > unnecessary
    > people's
    > and

    > | > ...snip

  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    No, no, I was just talking to myself!

    --
    Do I hear irksome background noise from god botherers ??
    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > I'm sure she will. OK, bye.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > | Well have a nice life, Pebble. <smile>
    > |
    > | "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > | Rhymes with PAIN and CAN 8-)
    > |
    > | --
    > | * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > Who?
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > | > should things get worse after this,
    > | > PCR
    > | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | > "Pebble" <Pebble@boulder.rock.com> wrote in message
    > | > I've only blocked 2 people in this group - guess who they might
    be?
    > | > --
    > | > * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    > | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message