windows 98 and spybot

I have helped a friend get their Gateway desktop with windows 98 cleaned up.
I have run Mcafee, reinstalled all software and had one error message showing
up - "bss5x"
I was advised here it is adware and to try and clear with spybot. Ran
spybot and found 322 ad files. Ran again and found 32 more. When i went to
delete the files, system crashed. When I boot, i get to a screen that says
"illegal Explorer error"and can go no further.

Is there any software i can buy to totally clear this harddrive and start
over. This person used unsafe websites.
--
Roger
1 answer Last reply

    "Rogerinthecity" <Rogerinthecity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I have helped a friend get their Gateway desktop with windows 98 cleaned
    up.
    > I have run Mcafee, reinstalled all software and had one error message
    showing
    > up - "bss5x"
    > I was advised here it is adware and to try and clear with spybot. Ran
    > spybot and found 322 ad files. Ran again and found 32 more. When i went
    > delete the files, system crashed. When I boot, i get to a screen that
    says
    > "illegal Explorer error"and can go no further.
    >
    > Is there any software i can buy to totally clear this harddrive and start
    > over. This person used unsafe websites.

    From your own resources you can
    save the list of files to a text file, and
    edit it to turn it into a BATch file to
    DELete c:\filepath\filename
    every one separately.
    Then boot DOS and execute this BAT file.
    (Then boot Windows and interpret the
    error messages "file not found.")

    --
    Don Phillipson