Windows Update causes startup failure

A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right after
starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out of
memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
how I can back out the two updates that were applied?

Thanks,

T.
49 answers Last reply
More about windows update startup failure

    Terry,
    I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
    The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
    or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
    unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups upon
    launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue screening at
    login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second user is not
    one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both systems started
    this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I can come up
    with a solution for you.
    John

    "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Terry,
    > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
    > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
    > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
    > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups
    > upon launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue
    > screening at login has been rolled back by our backup software. The
    > second user is not one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to.
    > Both systems started this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will
    > post again if I can come up with a solution for you.
    > John

    John, both updates are listed in Add/Remove in the Control Panel, have them
    uninstall one or the other or both in safemode if need be, and see if that
    helps.

    Rick

    Thanks Rick,

    That was the advice I gave user #2 last night when I first heard of this
    problem. They did that this morning and it fixed the problem. I'm going to
    do some testing today to find out which one is causing the problem.

    Thanks again,
    John

    "Rick Chauvin" wrote:

    > "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Terry,
    > > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
    > > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
    > > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
    > > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups
    > > upon launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue
    > > screening at login has been rolled back by our backup software. The
    > > second user is not one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to.
    > > Both systems started this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will
    > > post again if I can come up with a solution for you.
    > > John
    >
    > John, both updates are listed in Add/Remove in the Control Panel, have them
    > uninstall one or the other or both in safemode if need be, and see if that
    > helps.
    >
    > Rick

    Might also be a conflict with some *other* background app. I'd use
    MSCONFIG (in Safe Mode) to disable everything *but* the one update that
    has a background app attached, and see if that allows a startup in
    Normal Mode. If so, add apps back in until the error recurs.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Thanks Rick,
    >
    > That was the advice I gave user #2 last night when I first heard of
    this
    > problem. They did that this morning and it fixed the problem. I'm
    going to
    > do some testing today to find out which one is causing the problem.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > John
    >
    > "Rick Chauvin" wrote:
    >
    > > "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Terry,
    > > > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the
    problem.
    > > > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS
    Bulletin 891711
    > > > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens
    at login
    > > > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or
    lockups
    > > > upon launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was
    blue
    > > > screening at login has been rolled back by our backup software.
    The
    > > > second user is not one of mine and does not have a backup to roll
    back to.
    > > > Both systems started this behavior after doing the MS updates. I
    will
    > > > post again if I can come up with a solution for you.
    > > > John
    > >
    > > John, both updates are listed in Add/Remove in the Control Panel,
    have them
    > > uninstall one or the other or both in safemode if need be, and see
    if that
    > > helps.
    > >
    > > Rick

    I was having the same problem and your suggestion to remove 891711 and 888113
    in Safe Mode worked... thanks!

    "Rick Chauvin" wrote:

    > "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Terry,
    > > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
    > > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
    > > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
    > > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups
    > > upon launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue
    > > screening at login has been rolled back by our backup software. The
    > > second user is not one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to.
    > > Both systems started this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will
    > > post again if I can come up with a solution for you.
    > > John
    >
    > John, both updates are listed in Add/Remove in the Control Panel, have them
    > uninstall one or the other or both in safemode if need be, and see if that
    > helps.
    >
    > Rick

    I find it is just KB891711.exe the bugaboo, not 888113.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Mike4" <Mike4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I was having the same problem and your suggestion to remove 891711 and
    888113
    | in Safe Mode worked... thanks!
    |
    | "Rick Chauvin" wrote:
    |
    | > "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > Terry,
    | > > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the
    problem.
    | > > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS
    Bulletin 891711
    | > > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens
    at login
    | > > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or
    lockups
    | > > upon launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was
    blue
    | > > screening at login has been rolled back by our backup software.
    The
    | > > second user is not one of mine and does not have a backup to roll
    back to.
    | > > Both systems started this behavior after doing the MS updates. I
    will
    | > > post again if I can come up with a solution for you.
    | > > John
    | >
    | > John, both updates are listed in Add/Remove in the Control Panel,
    have them
    | > uninstall one or the other or both in safemode if need be, and see
    if that
    | > helps.
    | >
    | > Rick

    Gary,
    From what I see the update creates a folder C:\Windows\SytemKB891711
    In that folder is KB891711.exe 9kb dated 02/22/05 and Q891711.dll 5kb dated
    02/18/05

    Both are dated last month. I wonder if they replaced newer files or need
    updated files for something or another.

    Now this is a first I've seen where an update has created it's own folder,
    exe and dll in System. Perhaps someone can explain what's up with that.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Might also be a conflict with some *other* background app. I'd use
    > MSCONFIG (in Safe Mode) to disable everything *but* the one update that
    > has a background app attached, and see if that allows a startup in
    > Normal Mode. If so, add apps back in until the error recurs.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Rick,
    >>
    >> That was the advice I gave user #2 last night when I first heard of
    > this
    >> problem. They did that this morning and it fixed the problem. I'm
    > going to
    >> do some testing today to find out which one is causing the problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >> John
    >>
    >> "Rick Chauvin" wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > problem.
    > Bulletin 891711
    > at login
    > lockups
    > blue
    > The
    > back to.
    > will
    >> >
    >> > John, both updates are listed in Add/Remove in the Control Panel,
    > have them
    >> > uninstall one or the other or both in safemode if need be, and see
    > if that
    >> > helps.
    >> >
    >> > Rick

    I dunno. It's odd, fer sure. But I'd still like to see one or two folks
    who are having problems do a true MSCONFIG-based t-shoot. Is it just the
    Update or is it some synergistic effect from having certain other apps
    running in the background at the same time? I've seen Spybot mentioned a
    few times...

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Gary,
    > From what I see the update creates a folder C:\Windows\SytemKB891711
    > In that folder is KB891711.exe 9kb dated 02/22/05 and Q891711.dll 5kb
    dated
    > 02/18/05
    >
    > Both are dated last month. I wonder if they replaced newer files or
    need
    > updated files for something or another.
    >
    > Now this is a first I've seen where an update has created it's own
    folder,
    > exe and dll in System. Perhaps someone can explain what's up with
    that.

    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > > Might also be a conflict with some *other* background app. I'd use
    > > MSCONFIG (in Safe Mode) to disable everything *but* the one update
    that
    > > has a background app attached, and see if that allows a startup in
    > > Normal Mode. If so, add apps back in until the error recurs.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks Rick,
    > >>
    > >> That was the advice I gave user #2 last night when I first heard of
    > > this
    > >> problem. They did that this morning and it fixed the problem. I'm
    > > going to
    > >> do some testing today to find out which one is causing the problem.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks again,
    > >> John

    > > problem.
    > > Bulletin 891711
    > > at login
    > > lockups
    > > blue
    > > The
    > > back to.
    > > will

    > > have them
    > > if that

    For those that can boot normally but get BSOD'd using the net, I wonder if
    posting the running processes would help to at least find out if there is a
    common app used among them that may be the cause. Unfortunately for those
    that can't get to the desktop can't do this.

    Even the suggestion of booting to Safe Mode doesn't really help unless they
    want to remove the update, which doesn't run in Safe Mode.

    --

    >I dunno. It's odd, fer sure. But I'd still like to see one or two folks
    > who are having problems do a true MSCONFIG-based t-shoot. Is it just the
    > Update or is it some synergistic effect from having certain other apps
    > running in the background at the same time? I've seen Spybot mentioned a
    > few times...
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> Gary,
    >> From what I see the update creates a folder C:\Windows\SytemKB891711
    >> In that folder is KB891711.exe 9kb dated 02/22/05 and Q891711.dll 5kb
    > dated
    >> 02/18/05
    >>
    >> Both are dated last month. I wonder if they replaced newer files or
    > need
    >> updated files for something or another.
    >>
    >> Now this is a first I've seen where an update has created it's own
    > folder,
    >> exe and dll in System. Perhaps someone can explain what's up with
    > that.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A.
    >>
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > Might also be a conflict with some *other* background app. I'd use
    >> > MSCONFIG (in Safe Mode) to disable everything *but* the one update
    > that
    >> > has a background app attached, and see if that allows a startup in
    >> > Normal Mode. If so, add apps back in until the error recurs.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Gary S. Terhune
    >> > MS MVP Shell/User
    >> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >> >
    >> > "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> > this
    >> > going to

    > message
    > the
    >> > problem.
    >> > Bulletin 891711
    > screens
    >> > at login
    > or
    >> > lockups
    > was
    >> > blue
    >> > The
    > roll
    >> > back to.
    >> > will

    >> > have them
    > see
    >> > if that

    "Mike4" <Mike4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I was having the same problem and your suggestion to remove 891711 and
    > 888113 in Safe Mode worked... thanks!

    Yes yw but just remember that for the security issues addressed if you ever
    were to come across them you won't be protected, but obviously as you were
    yesterday you couldn't use your computer so you had no choice. Also to
    mention again it's probably only the 891711 that's causing the boot problem,
    even though 888113 is no angel either causing its own share of problems for
    others where I noticed doing a search the other day there was quite a few
    issues on Both and I realized then that was only the begining of these ..beta
    fixes then.

    > "Rick Chauvin" wrote:
    >
    >> "Jluvs2dive" <Jluvs2dive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Terry,
    >> > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the
    >> > problem. The problem starts after applying either the update from MS
    >> > Bulletin 891711 or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting
    >> > blue screens at login unless in safe mode, and another that is getting
    >> > blue screens or lockups upon launching either IE or Netscape. The
    >> > first system that was blue screening at login has been rolled back by
    >> > our backup software. The second user is not one of mine and does not
    >> > have a backup to roll back to. Both systems started this behavior after
    >> > doing the MS updates. I will post again if I can come up with a
    >> > solution for you.
    >> > John
    >>
    >> John, both updates are listed in Add/Remove in the Control Panel, have
    >> them uninstall one or the other or both in safemode if need be, and see
    >> if that helps.
    >>
    >> Rick

    ....sheesh, haven't even had even finished my morning breakfast yet to see
    everyone everywhere complaining about 891711 ..and that to name just a
    few, it conflicts with:

    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Maxthon (My IE) browser
    Win Patrol
    Ghost backup
    Broadpage

    ...even read an article on cnet where someone called MS tech support and
    he says they said:

    "Got with a tech support guy fairly quickly (!) and he explained that the
    KB891711 patch was not required for WIN98, even though the Windows
    Update service called it a critical update"

    I'm thinking those that can't boot probably access the NET at boot.
    Maybe they have turned on Active Desktop or something.

    --
    | For those that can boot normally but get BSOD'd using the net, I
    wonder if
    | posting the running processes would help to at least find out if there
    is a
    | common app used among them that may be the cause. Unfortunately for
    those
    | that can't get to the desktop can't do this.
    |
    | Even the suggestion of booting to Safe Mode doesn't really help
    unless they
    | want to remove the update, which doesn't run in Safe Mode.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Brian A.
    |
    | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    |

    | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >I dunno. It's odd, fer sure. But I'd still like to see one or two
    folks
    | > who are having problems do a true MSCONFIG-based t-shoot. Is it just
    the
    | > Update or is it some synergistic effect from having certain other
    apps
    | > running in the background at the same time? I've seen Spybot
    mentioned a
    | > few times...
    | >
    | > --
    | > Gary S. Terhune
    | > MS MVP Shell/User
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | >
    | > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    | >> Gary,
    | >> From what I see the update creates a folder
    C:\Windows\SytemKB891711
    | >> In that folder is KB891711.exe 9kb dated 02/22/05 and Q891711.dll
    5kb
    | > dated
    | >> 02/18/05
    | >>
    | >> Both are dated last month. I wonder if they replaced newer files
    or
    | > need
    | >> updated files for something or another.
    | >>
    | >> Now this is a first I've seen where an update has created it's own
    | > folder,
    | >> exe and dll in System. Perhaps someone can explain what's up with
    | > that.
    | >>

    | >> --
    | >>
    | >> Brian A.
    | >>
    | >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | >>

    | >> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > that

    I'm

    | > message
    | > the
    | > screens
    | > or
    | > was
    | > roll

    Panel,
    | > see

    I hope that's true, that Win98 really doesn't need it, because the
    write-up makes that particular vulnerability sound horrific...
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx

    --
    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | ...sheesh, haven't even had even finished my morning breakfast yet to
    see
    | everyone everywhere complaining about 891711 ..and that to name just a
    | few, it conflicts with:
    |
    | Firefox
    | Thunderbird
    | Maxthon (My IE) browser
    | Win Patrol
    | Ghost backup
    | Broadpage
    |
    | ..even read an article on cnet where someone called MS tech support
    and
    | he says they said:
    |
    | "Got with a tech support guy fairly quickly (!) and he explained that
    the
    | KB891711 patch was not required for WIN98, even though the Windows
    | Update service called it a critical update"

    Not all, I'm always connected.

    --

    > I'm thinking those that can't boot probably access the NET at boot.
    > Maybe they have turned on Active Desktop or something.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > | For those that can boot normally but get BSOD'd using the net, I
    > wonder if
    > | posting the running processes would help to at least find out if there
    > is a
    > | common app used among them that may be the cause. Unfortunately for
    > those
    > | that can't get to the desktop can't do this.
    > |
    > | Even the suggestion of booting to Safe Mode doesn't really help
    > unless they
    > | want to remove the update, which doesn't run in Safe Mode.
    > |
    > | --
    > |
    > | Brian A.
    > |
    > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > |

    > | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > | >I dunno. It's odd, fer sure. But I'd still like to see one or two
    > folks
    > | > who are having problems do a true MSCONFIG-based t-shoot. Is it just
    > the
    > | > Update or is it some synergistic effect from having certain other
    > apps
    > | > running in the background at the same time? I've seen Spybot
    > mentioned a
    > | > few times...
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Gary S. Terhune
    > | > MS MVP Shell/User
    > | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > | >
    > | > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > C:\Windows\SytemKB891711
    > 5kb
    > | > dated

    > or
    > | > need

    > | > folder,
    > | > that.

    > use
    > update
    > | > that
    > in

    > message

    > of
    > I'm
    > problem.

    > | > message
    > | > the
    > | > screens
    > screens
    > | > or
    > | > was
    > software.
    > | > roll
    > updates.

    > Panel,
    > | > see

    Under the FAQ section @
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx

    "Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium
    Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are
    addressed in this security bulletin?
    Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium
    Edition are critically affected by this vulnerability. "

    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:O3ufjZzJFHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >I hope that's true, that Win98 really doesn't need it, because the
    > write-up makes that particular vulnerability sound horrific...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    >
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > | ...sheesh, haven't even had even finished my morning breakfast yet to
    > see
    > | everyone everywhere complaining about 891711 ..and that to name just a
    > | few, it conflicts with:
    > |
    > | Firefox
    > | Thunderbird
    > | Maxthon (My IE) browser
    > | Win Patrol
    > | Ghost backup
    > | Broadpage
    > |
    > | ..even read an article on cnet where someone called MS tech support
    > and
    > | he says they said:
    > |
    > | "Got with a tech support guy fairly quickly (!) and he explained that
    > the
    > | KB891711 patch was not required for WIN98, even though the Windows
    > | Update service called it a critical update"

    You don't have dial-up, then? Do you have the problem with KB891711.exe?
    Do you know whether it crashes only dial-up machines?

    --
    | Not all, I'm always connected.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Brian A.
    |
    | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    | > I'm thinking those that can't boot probably access the NET at boot.
    | > Maybe they have turned on Active Desktop or something.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    | > | For those that can boot normally but get BSOD'd using the net, I
    | > wonder if
    | > | posting the running processes would help to at least find out if
    there
    | > is a
    | > | common app used among them that may be the cause. Unfortunately
    for
    | > those
    | > | that can't get to the desktop can't do this.
    | > |
    | > | Even the suggestion of booting to Safe Mode doesn't really help
    | > unless they
    | > | want to remove the update, which doesn't run in Safe Mode.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > |
    | > | Brian A.
    | > |
    | > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > folks
    | > the
    | > apps
    | > mentioned a

    | > C:\Windows\SytemKB891711
    Q891711.dll
    | > 5kb

    | > or

    I'd
    | > use
    | > update
    | > in

    | > message

    | > of
    | > I'm
    | > problem.

    MS
    | > screens
    | > software.
    | > updates.

    | > Panel,

    | > |

    Pure cable and no problem. Dial up may be the common denominator, don't
    know and can't say. Many users are up in arms over the issue, yet getting
    info is like pulling teeth.

    --

    > You don't have dial-up, then? Do you have the problem with KB891711.exe?
    > Do you know whether it crashes only dial-up machines?
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > | Not all, I'm always connected.
    > |
    > | --
    > |
    > | Brian A.
    > |
    > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > |

    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > I'm thinking those that can't boot probably access the NET at boot.
    > | > Maybe they have turned on Active Desktop or something.

> [...]

    I know, I know! But Chauvin says someone said MS said otherwise! Didn't
    you read the bottom of his post?

    --
    "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    | Under the FAQ section @
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    |
    | "Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium
    | Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are
    | addressed in this security bulletin?
    | Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium
    | Edition are critically affected by this vulnerability. "

    | >I hope that's true, that Win98 really doesn't need it, because the
    | > write-up makes that particular vulnerability sound horrific...
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    | >
    | > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | > | ...sheesh, haven't even had even finished my morning breakfast yet
    | > see
    | > | everyone everywhere complaining about 891711 ..and that to name
    just a
    | > | few, it conflicts with:
    | > |
    | > | Firefox
    | > | Thunderbird
    | > | Maxthon (My IE) browser
    | > | Win Patrol
    | > | Ghost backup
    | > | Broadpage
    | > |
    | > | ..even read an article on cnet where someone called MS tech
    support
    | > and
    | > | he says they said:
    | > |
    | > | "Got with a tech support guy fairly quickly (!) and he explained
    that
    | > the
    | > | KB891711 patch was not required for WIN98, even though the Windows
    | > | Update service called it a critical update"

    Don't look at me: I have at least eight holes in my mouth! So, it could
    be Tapisrv.exe (Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server) or Rnaapp.exe
    (Dial-Up Networking Application) that it doesn't like. Those two always
    launch after I've connected to the NET. And KB891711.exe does not crash
    IE working out of TIFs before I've connected. I guess it could also be
    something like Ptsnoop.exe (the legit one of PCtel, Inc.) that may want
    to get busier after a connection is made. But that one is in the Startup
    Group & is there even working out of TIFs offline.

    --
    | Pure cable and no problem. Dial up may be the common denominator,
    don't
    | know and can't say. Many users are up in arms over the issue, yet
    getting
    | info is like pulling teeth.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Brian A.
    |
    | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    | > You don't have dial-up, then? Do you have the problem with
    KB891711.exe?
    | > Do you know whether it crashes only dial-up machines?
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    | > | Not all, I'm always connected.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > |
    | > | Brian A.
    | > |
    | > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    | > there
    Unfortunately
    | > for
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > just
    | > other

    | > Q891711.dll

    | > files

    | > own
    | > with

    | > I'd
    | > startup

    | > heard
    | > problem.

    | > in

    | > confirm
    | > MS
    | > blue
    | > that
    | > backup to
    MS

    Control
    | > and

    | > | > |

    | > |

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I believe Rick, but don't know about the "tech support guy". Does
    he know something that the security or windows update people don't?

    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:uyqZf34JFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >I know, I know! But Chauvin says someone said MS said otherwise! Didn't
    > you read the bottom of his post?
    >

    > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    > | Under the FAQ section @
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    > |
    > | "Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium
    > | Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are
    > | addressed in this security bulletin?
    > | Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium
    > | Edition are critically affected by this vulnerability. "
    > |

    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | >I hope that's true, that Win98 really doesn't need it, because the
    > | > write-up makes that particular vulnerability sound horrific...
    > | > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    > | >
    > | > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

    > | > |

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > I believe Rick, but don't know about the "tech support guy". Does
    > he know something that the security or windows update people don't?

    Hi Bill,

    I can only surmise that the MS Tech that this person talked to had quite a
    few phone calls about it that he had to say something that day, and they said
    what they did not knowing what else to say at that moment; but I'm just
    guessing for him.

    No doubt though the issue for W9x is very important or obviously you can bet
    they would have never even bothered in the first place, but now they just
    need to revise or much better yet find another way to work out the problem
    instead of the way they did it.

    I am thankful that they considered W9x though for all the people who still
    use it, and it shows good faith, and so my salutes to MS for doing that.

    When I see Glen Ventura has 2 out of 3 machines that are having the same
    problems, not to mention the other ##'s of people having similar issues,
    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=91523&messageID=1034555
    then it's beyond obvious this 891711 has gots obvious issues.
    I see other news forums All Over the place all saying the same things about
    this security update too.

    I bet the programmer that made it will be a bit embarrassed when they come to
    work tomorrow - that is, if they even have a job :)

    Rick
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    It's not tapisrv.exe. I don't have that, and I had problems with
    KB891711. Must be dialup. Beth

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:11:51 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >Don't look at me: I have at least eight holes in my mouth! So, it could
    >be Tapisrv.exe (Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server) or Rnaapp.exe
    >(Dial-Up Networking Application) that it doesn't like. Those two always
    >launch after I've connected to the NET. And KB891711.exe does not crash
    >IE working out of TIFs before I've connected. I guess it could also be
    >something like Ptsnoop.exe (the legit one of PCtel, Inc.) that may want
    >to get busier after a connection is made. But that one is in the Startup
    >Group & is there even working out of TIFs offline.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    That's what I wondered, too, when I read that post in the CNET forum.
    That's why I still haven't deleted it, only unchecked it. Beth

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:17:35 -0500, "Bill Blanton"
    <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

    >I believe Rick, but don't know about the "tech support guy". Does
    >he know something that the security or windows update people don't?
    >

    >"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:uyqZf34JFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >>I know, I know! But Chauvin says someone said MS said otherwise! Didn't
    >> you read the bottom of his post?
    >>

    >> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    >> | Under the FAQ section @
    >> | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    >> |
    >> | "Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium
    >> | Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are
    >> | addressed in this security bulletin?
    >> | Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium
    >> | Edition are critically affected by this vulnerability. "
    >> |

    >> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    >> | > |

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hmm. That is an MS file. Anyway, it is fruitless to guess which file
    KB891711.exe doesn't like. I'm sure MS is diligently working on a fix by
    now.

    --
    "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
    | It's not tapisrv.exe. I don't have that, and I had problems with
    | KB891711. Must be dialup. Beth
    |
    | On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:11:51 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >Don't look at me: I have at least eight holes in my mouth! So, it
    could
    | >be Tapisrv.exe (Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server) or
    Rnaapp.exe
    | >(Dial-Up Networking Application) that it doesn't like. Those two
    always
    | >launch after I've connected to the NET. And KB891711.exe does not
    crash
    | >IE working out of TIFs before I've connected. I guess it could also
    be
    | >something like Ptsnoop.exe (the legit one of PCtel, Inc.) that may
    want
    | >to get busier after a connection is made. But that one is in the
    Startup
    | >Group & is there even working out of TIFs offline.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    My hopes about that are dashed, then, especially after reading Chauvin's
    response! Still, a tech support guy harried to the point of fibbing
    surely will ask MS to redouble it's efforts for a timely fix.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    | I believe Rick, but don't know about the "tech support guy". Does
    | he know something that the security or windows update people don't?

    | >I know, I know! But Chauvin says someone said MS said otherwise!
    Didn't
    | > you read the bottom of his post?
    | >

    | > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    | > | Under the FAQ section @
    | > | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    | > |
    | > | "Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium
    | > | Edition critically affected by any of the vulnerabilities that are
    | > | addressed in this security bulletin?
    | > | Yes. Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium
    | > | Edition are critically affected by this vulnerability. "
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    | > | > |
    Windows
    | > |
    | > |

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
    and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
    Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
    move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
    example).

    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:ej2RxgHKFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > My hopes about that are dashed, then, especially after reading Chauvin's
    > response! Still, a tech support guy harried to the point of fibbing
    > surely will ask MS to redouble it's efforts for a timely fix.
    >
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    > | I believe Rick, but don't know about the "tech support guy". Does
    > | he know something that the security or windows update people don't?
    > |

    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | >I know, I know! But Chauvin says someone said MS said otherwise!
    > Didn't
    > | > you read the bottom of his post?
    > | >

    > | > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    > | > |
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hey PCR Pro,
    Star here....
    I saw your **OUCH** message, and (2) posts have surfaced, users on dial-up
    without problems, double OUCH!!
    I listed my running processes in that thread, however you haven't seen it
    yet.

    Did you see Glee's post... ?

    I went to WU, and it comes up for me. I did uninstall it, I had it disabled
    initially, and all was well.
    However, like I mentioned, personally I did not like it period.... and, if
    Microsoft wants to run it as a start-up process for W-98-se, I won't run it
    as a continuous running process.

    I did disable it and totally uninstall it!!

    I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
    location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
    **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web page
    loaded.

    I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do the
    above test since you only have it disabled.

    I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
    registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except for
    Pc-cillin.

    Star

    > Hmm. That is an MS file. Anyway, it is fruitless to guess which file
    > KB891711.exe doesn't like. I'm sure MS is diligently working on a fix by
    > now.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
    > | It's not tapisrv.exe. I don't have that, and I had problems with
    > | KB891711. Must be dialup. Beth
    > |
    > | On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:11:51 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    > |
    > | >Don't look at me: I have at least eight holes in my mouth! So, it
    > could
    > | >be Tapisrv.exe (Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server) or
    > Rnaapp.exe
    > | >(Dial-Up Networking Application) that it doesn't like. Those two
    > always
    > | >launch after I've connected to the NET. And KB891711.exe does not
    > crash
    > | >IE working out of TIFs before I've connected. I guess it could also
    > be
    > | >something like Ptsnoop.exe (the legit one of PCtel, Inc.) that may
    > want
    > | >to get busier after a connection is made. But that one is in the
    > Startup
    > | >Group & is there even working out of TIFs offline.

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Bill Blanton wrote:
    > Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
    > and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
    > Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
    > move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
    > example).

    Would there be any significance in where it is in Task
    Manager? It is second up from the bottom in mine, just after
    my SanDisk card reader. And my internet connection
    (broadband using DUN) doesn't fire up till right at the end
    when my Mailwasher antispam program loads. No problems here
    with the update.
    Win98SE, ZA free, IE6, Mozilla Firefox, NAV 2003Pro, Spybot
    S&D inc teatimer.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

    "Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23o0%23DeLKFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Bill Blanton wrote:
    >> Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
    >> and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
    >> Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
    >> move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
    >> example).
    >>

    > Would there be any significance in where it is in Task Manager? It is second up from the bottom in mine, just after my SanDisk
    > card reader. And my internet connection (broadband using DUN) doesn't fire up till right at the end when my Mailwasher antispam
    > program loads. No problems here with the update.

    I don't know what order Task Manager enumerates processes, or
    if it's relevant. My thought was that this kludge of a patch
    may simply hook into the loaded kernel and check for valid
    parameters before passing it on to the LoadImage function.
    Just a guess of course, but it's a strange way to patch the OS.

    If it is just hooking the "OS kernel" then maybe loading it later
    would have a different effect? Or it may be it would cause it to
    be ineffective. Dunno...I don't really advocate doing that, was
    just thinking out loud (so to speak) ;)
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Tapisrv.exe doesn't show up at Ctrl-Alt-Del, it seems. It will show up
    at "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Running Tasks"...

    Tapisrv.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows(TM)
    Telephony Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Tapisrv.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R)
    Windows(R) Operating System

    ....But only after connecting to the NET.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | Hmm. That is an MS file. Anyway, it is fruitless to guess which file
    | KB891711.exe doesn't like. I'm sure MS is diligently working on a fix
    by
    | now.
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
    | | It's not tapisrv.exe. I don't have that, and I had problems with
    | | KB891711. Must be dialup. Beth
    | |
    | | On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:11:51 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    wrote:
    | |
    | | >Don't look at me: I have at least eight holes in my mouth! So, it
    | could
    | | >be Tapisrv.exe (Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server) or
    | Rnaapp.exe
    | | >(Dial-Up Networking Application) that it doesn't like. Those two
    | always
    | | >launch after I've connected to the NET. And KB891711.exe does not
    | crash
    | | >IE working out of TIFs before I've connected. I guess it could also
    | be
    | | >something like Ptsnoop.exe (the legit one of PCtel, Inc.) that may
    | want
    | | >to get busier after a connection is made. But that one is in the
    | Startup
    | | >Group & is there even working out of TIFs offline.
    | |

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I have a thread going on it, named "KB891711". Here is your permit to
    enter it...

    Permit one sinner Bill Blanton with ideas into "KB891711".
    Signed... PCR.

    My experience is described in there. I think I've done most of what you
    suggest. I know IE was working out of TIFs, offline before connecting.
    Usually, NetZero will honor offline status & ask whether I wanted to go
    online while it opens it's home page. Well, perhaps it's IE asking.
    HOWEVER, with KB891711.exe running, I don't seem to get that question,
    but just the orderly BLOD.

    NOW, you make me wonder, can the offline status have been lost, because
    perhaps I closed the offline IE window before clicking NetZero? I do
    know, having OE open offline causes IE to honor the status. So, fine...

    (a) Keep OE open offline
    (Usually, that's what I do. Did I that time?)
    (b) Fine, open an IE window offline, & keep it open
    (Did I that time, or did I close it?)
    (c) Click KB891711.exe, which wasn't started this boot
    (d) Finally, click my NetZero button.

    Prediction: It won't work.
    Result: (a), (b), (c) went well. OE works. E works.
    IE (TIFs) work. NOW, for (d)... IT CRASHED, quicker!

    NetZero crashes at it's second screen, before I can click the Connect
    button offered there. It is the same orderly... "A fatal exception 0D
    has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...". I "press(ed) any key", & here I am
    with all else amazingly working as before.

    Now, I'll kill KB891711.exe & go online.

    --
    | Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
    | and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
    | Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
    | move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
    | example).

    | > My hopes about that are dashed, then, especially after reading
    Chauvin's
    | > response! Still, a tech support guy harried to the point of fibbing
    | > surely will ask MS to redouble it's efforts for a timely fix.
    | >
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    | > | I believe Rick, but don't know about the "tech support guy". Does
    | > | he know something that the security or windows update people
    don't?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > Didn't

    | > | > |
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    | > | > |
    Millennium
    Millennium

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    That is sad, that all Dial-ups do not suffer our fate. However, let us
    rejoice. It seems some cable folk do suffer! So, MS must STILL fix the
    fix, if enough users are affected, adding us all up.

    I anxiously await running into your post. If I haven't seen Glee's, soon
    I will. You mean the one where he said a bunch of his Win98's were
    affected? That's good. NOW, the MVPs will unite & get us a fix!

    That is TREBLY sad that MS STILL has it available at WU! Geeez!

    | I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
    | location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
    | **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
    page
    | loaded.

    I did that in response to Blanton's request elsewhere. It was worse.
    NetZero wouldn't even connect. Same BSOD. I closed KB891711.exe, have
    not reboot, clicked NetZero again-- & here I am.

    --
    "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | Hey PCR Pro,
    | Star here....
    | I saw your **OUCH** message, and (2) posts have surfaced, users on
    dial-up
    | without problems, double OUCH!!
    | I listed my running processes in that thread, however you haven't seen
    it
    | yet.
    |
    | Did you see Glee's post... ?
    |
    | I went to WU, and it comes up for me. I did uninstall it, I had it
    disabled
    | initially, and all was well.
    | However, like I mentioned, personally I did not like it period....
    and, if
    | Microsoft wants to run it as a start-up process for W-98-se, I won't
    run it
    | as a continuous running process.
    |
    | I did disable it and totally uninstall it!!
    |
    | I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
    | location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
    | **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
    page
    | loaded.
    |
    | I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do
    the
    | above test since you only have it disabled.
    |
    | I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
    | registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except
    for
    | Pc-cillin.
    |
    | Star

    | > Hmm. That is an MS file. Anyway, it is fruitless to guess which file
    | > KB891711.exe doesn't like. I'm sure MS is diligently working on a
    fix by
    | > now.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
    | > | It's not tapisrv.exe. I don't have that, and I had problems with
    | > | KB891711. Must be dialup. Beth
    | > |
    | > | On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:11:51 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    wrote:
    | > |
    | > could
    | > Rnaapp.exe
    | > always
    | > crash
    | > be
    | > want
    | > Startup
    | > |

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    And here I am online. Never rebooted. All is well-- BUT that little
    devil is dead.

    --
    | I have a thread going on it, named "KB891711". Here is your permit to
    | enter it...
    |
    | Permit one sinner Bill Blanton with ideas into "KB891711".
    | Signed... PCR.
    |
    | My experience is described in there. I think I've done most of what
    you
    | suggest. I know IE was working out of TIFs, offline before connecting.
    | Usually, NetZero will honor offline status & ask whether I wanted to
    go
    | online while it opens it's home page. Well, perhaps it's IE asking.
    | HOWEVER, with KB891711.exe running, I don't seem to get that question,
    | but just the orderly BLOD.
    |
    | NOW, you make me wonder, can the offline status have been lost,
    because
    | perhaps I closed the offline IE window before clicking NetZero? I do
    | know, having OE open offline causes IE to honor the status. So,
    fine...

    | (a) Keep OE open offline
    | (Usually, that's what I do. Did I that time?)
    | (b) Fine, open an IE window offline, & keep it open
    | (Did I that time, or did I close it?)
    | (c) Click KB891711.exe, which wasn't started this boot
    | (d) Finally, click my NetZero button.
    |
    | Prediction: It won't work.
    | Result: (a), (b), (c) went well. OE works. E works.
    | IE (TIFs) work. NOW, for (d)... IT CRASHED, quicker!
    |
    | NetZero crashes at it's second screen, before I can click the Connect
    | button offered there. It is the same orderly... "A fatal exception 0D
    | has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...". I "press(ed) any key", & here I am
    | with all else amazingly working as before.
    |
    | Now, I'll kill KB891711.exe & go online.
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    | | Someone (in here?) posted that if they open a local page offline,
    | | and then connect they don't blue screen. Have you tried that?
    | | Or just open IE and then connect? I wonder what would happen if you
    | | move it out of runservices and into the startup folder (for
    | | example).
    | |
    | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | | > My hopes about that are dashed, then, especially after reading
    | Chauvin's
    | | > response! Still, a tech support guy harried to the point of
    fibbing
    | | > surely will ask MS to redouble it's efforts for a timely fix.
    | | >
    | | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    Does
    | don't?
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > Didn't

    | | > | > |
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    | | > | > |
    | Millennium
    | are
    | Millennium
    | |
    | |

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR Pro,
    I read where you answered Pa Bear about updates in add/remove control
    panel.
    And, yes Microsoft knows I removed it and it is offered to me again. I just
    visited WU minutes ago.

    I took KB891711 & KB888113 at the same time, early in the day soon after my
    first boot of the day. According to your post to Pa Bear you listed these
    updates....

    Only KB891711 would show up at MSConfig, but both would show at "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"

    (a) Windows 98 KB891711 Update (don't have)
    (b) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    (c) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    (d) Windows 98 Q888113 Update **doesn't show, restored registry**
    (e) Windows 98 Q890175 Update

    I uninstalled KB891711 using Control Panel and checked the files that Gary
    Terhune listed for the patch, and then I exited to dos and did a scanreg
    /restore and restored my registry to my first boot of the day.

    OK, WU offers me KB891711 but not KB888113 and I restored the registry. I
    don't see KB888113 in add/remove list in control panel (I wouldn't since I
    restored the registry). I looked at my log in my WU folder and both updates
    show being successful.

    What I'm asking is how can WU know.... if I restored the registry, I would
    think both updates would be offered to me again, yet I'm offered only
    KB891711... ???

    Star

> [...]
    > |
    > | I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
    > | location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
    > | **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
    > page
    > | loaded.
    > |
    > | I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do
    > the
    > | above test since you only have it disabled.
    > |
    > | I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
    > | registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except
    > for
    > | Pc-cillin.
    > |
    > | Star
    > |
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > Hmm. That is an MS file. Anyway, it is fruitless to guess which file
    > | > KB891711.exe doesn't like. I'm sure MS is diligently working on a

  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Jluvs2dive" wrote:

    > Terry,
    > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
    > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
    > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
    > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups upon
    > launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue screening at
    > login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second user is not
    > one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both systems started
    > this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I can come up
    > with a solution for you.
    > John
    >
    > "TerryG" wrote:
    >
    > > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
    > > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right after
    > > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out of
    > > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
    > > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > T.
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I started having the same problem - was checking my msconfig startup window
    and found that the file KB891711 was now in startup - I removed the check -
    restarted my computer no more problems. Sorry about the previous blank
    message.

    "Jluvs2dive" wrote:

    > Terry,
    > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
    > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
    > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
    > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups upon
    > launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue screening at
    > login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second user is not
    > one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both systems started
    > this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I can come up
    > with a solution for you.
    > John
    >
    > "TerryG" wrote:
    >
    > > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
    > > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right after
    > > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out of
    > > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
    > > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > T.
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    (That wasn't to Bear, it was to the OP he was responding to.) So, you DIDN'T uninstall Q888113, but you restored the Registry (after uninstalling KB891711)? Probably RBBAD.cab has the Registry that you want. It is the one that was in effect at the time you did the /Restore. Of course, if you've done another install/uninstall since then, that one would get mussed by taking RBBAD.cab. Do you know how to get RBBAD.cab back? You'd have to...

    (a) Rename or move the oldest RBxxx.cab out of "C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP"
    (b) Rename RBBAD.cab to the number of the one you moved out
    (c) ScanReg /Restore, and take what was RBBAD.cab

    OTHERWISE, well, here are the Registry entries you seek. Do you know what to do with these...

    .........Start...................
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{3a753dda-02a0-4834-b37c-9d3470a556ce}]
    @="Windows 98 Q888113 Update"
    "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
    "Locale"="EN"
    "Version"="4.10.0.1998"

    .........End.......................

    .........Start.....................
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates\W98\UPD888113]
    @="Windows 98 Q888113 Update"
    "c:\\windows\\SYSTEM\\hlink.dll"="5.2.3790.227"

    .........End.......................

    .........Start.....................
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\888113]
    @=""
    "DisplayName"="Windows 98 Q888113 Update"
    "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\888113UN.INF"

    .........End.......................

    --
    "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:113d5hliqtunu46@corp.supernews.com...
> [...]
    | > page
    | > | loaded.
    | >
    | > I did that in response to Blanton's request elsewhere. It was worse.
    | > NetZero wouldn't even connect. Same BSOD. I closed KB891711.exe, have
    | > not reboot, clicked NetZero again-- & here I am.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hey PCR Pro,
    | > | Star here....
    | > | I saw your **OUCH** message, and (2) posts have surfaced, users on
    | > dial-up
    | > | without problems, double OUCH!!
    | > | I listed my running processes in that thread, however you haven't seen
    | > |
    | > | Did you see Glee's post... ?
    | > |
    | > | I went to WU, and it comes up for me. I did uninstall it, I had it
    | > disabled
    | > | initially, and all was well.
    | > | However, like I mentioned, personally I did not like it period....
    | > and, if
    | > | Microsoft wants to run it as a start-up process for W-98-se, I won't
    | > run it
    | > | as a continuous running process.
    | > |
    | > | I did disable it and totally uninstall it!!
    | > |
    | > | I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
    | > | location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
    | > | **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
    | > page
    | > | loaded.
    | > |
    | > | I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do
    | > the
    | > | above test since you only have it disabled.
    | > |
    | > | I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
    | > | registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except
    | > for
    | > | Pc-cillin.
    | > |
    | > | Star
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > fix by

    | > | > |
    | > wrote:
    | > | > |
    | > also
    | > may
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks for the registration entries, PCR Pro.
    I copied them into Notepad and named the file w/.reg extension and merged
    into the Registry (I did 3 separate merges and checked each merge), I now
    see KB888113 in Ctl Panel add/remove tab.

    WU only offered KB891711 again... doesn't WU get the info from the .xml log
    in Windows Update folder, how can I **really be sure I have the KB888113
    update** ??? I know I **now have the registration entries again** ??? How
    can I verify I have KB888113 ???

    Thank you, Star

> [...]

    | > page
    | > | loaded.
    | >
    | > I did that in response to Blanton's request elsewhere. It was worse.
    | > NetZero wouldn't even connect. Same BSOD. I closed KB891711.exe, have
    | > not reboot, clicked NetZero again-- & here I am.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hey PCR Pro,
    | > | Star here....
    | > | I saw your **OUCH** message, and (2) posts have surfaced, users on
    | > dial-up
    | > | without problems, double OUCH!!
    | > | I listed my running processes in that thread, however you haven't seen
    | > |
    | > | Did you see Glee's post... ?
    | > |
    | > | I went to WU, and it comes up for me. I did uninstall it, I had it
    | > disabled
    | > | initially, and all was well.
    | > | However, like I mentioned, personally I did not like it period....
    | > and, if
    | > | Microsoft wants to run it as a start-up process for W-98-se, I won't
    | > run it
    | > | as a continuous running process.
    | > |
    | > | I did disable it and totally uninstall it!!
    | > |
    | > | I was going to disable, and delete from *run services* regisistry
    | > | location... and go to the executable, send shortcut to the desktop and
    | > | **Run** this as desired by launching myself after IE was running w/web
    | > page
    | > | loaded.
    | > |
    | > | I **WAS CURIOUS** to do above, but now I can't... however, you can do
    | > the
    | > | above test since you only have it disabled.
    | > |
    | > | I do above with many applications/software, delete from run services
    | > | registry and msconfig, but I have shortcuts to run them myself except
    | > for
    | > | Pc-cillin.
    | > |
    | > | Star
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > fix by

    | > | > |
    | > wrote:
    | > | > |
    | > also
    | > may
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:ePRoiHRKFHA.1812@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I have a thread going on it, named "KB891711". Here is your permit to
    > enter it...
    >
    > Permit one sinner Bill Blanton with ideas into "KB891711".
    > Signed... PCR.

    Thanks.

    > NetZero crashes at it's second screen, before I can click the Connect
    > button offered there. It is the same orderly... "A fatal exception 0D
    > has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...". I "press(ed) any key", & here I am
    > with all else amazingly working as before.

    Well, at least it's orderly.
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome. I'm glad I didn't have to explain those Exports. I did
    post them in MIME, hoping they would not break when copied to Notepad.
    Apparently, they did not. OK, then.

    Well, it's a mystery how the site knows whether a thing is installed, as
    it may do it differently per critical. It seems, for Q888113, it is
    using the obvious one of those Registry keys.

    To know whether Q888113 is installed...

    (1) Look through the docs...
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-015.mspx
    Do you have the files & version it may mention?

    (2) "START, Run, SFC" after each install/update. It will list the files
    that were changed. Mine showed the following for Q888113 & the devil
    KB891711...

    .....Quote SFCLog.txt...........
    [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
    hlink.dll Updated 5.0.4513 10/20/00 5.2.3790.22 11/16/04
    No
    [C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS]
    HLINK.DLL Added 5.2.3790.22 11/16/04
    [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711]
    KB891711.EXE Added 4.10.2222 2/22/05
    Q891711.DLL Added 4.10.2222 2/18/05
    .....EOQ............................

    Apparently, it didn't catch the .inf files (they each have one).

    (3) You could look inside "C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\888113UN.INF". But
    you'll need to know .inf-talk. Note it does mention itself & HLINK.DLL.
    Here it is...

    ...........Quote of 888113UN.INF...........
    ; 888113UN.INF
    ; This is the Setup information file to uninstall the Windows KB888113
    Update:

    [version]
    AdvancedINF = 2.5, %AdvPackWarn%
    signature=$CHICAGO$

    [DefaultInstall]
    DelFiles=WinUPD.delFiles,WinUPD.delINF,WinUPD.Options
    delreg=WinUPD.delreg
    RenFiles=WinUPD.renFiles
    DelDirs=WinUPD.deldir

    [DestinationDirs]
    WinUPD.delFiles = 11
    WinUPD.renFiles = 11
    WinUPD.Options = 10,options\cabs
    WinUPD.delINF = 17,QFE\%SPKey%

    [WinUPD.delFiles]
    hlink.dll

    [WinUPD.Options]
    hlink.dll

    [WinUPD.renFiles]
    hlink.dll,888113.qfe

    [WinUPD.delINF]
    888113UN.INF

    [WinUPD.deldir]
    %17%/qfe/%SPKey%

    [WinUPD.delreg]
    HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%\,,,"%UpdName%"
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%",,,
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%UpdID%",,,

    [Strings]
    ;Non-localizable
    LANG= "EN"
    LocaleID= "UPD"
    Guid= "{3a753dda-02a0-4834-b37c-9d3470a556ce}"
    VERSION= "4.10.0.1998"
    UpdID= "888113"
    UpdateKey= "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates"
    SPKey= "W98"

    ;Localizable strings
    UpdName="Windows KB888113 Patch"
    AdvPackWarn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
    SrcDiskName="KB888113 Patch"
    .........EOQ...................

    --
> [...]
    8881
    | 13]
    | @=""
    | "DisplayName"="Windows 98 Q888113 Update"
    | "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
    | C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\888113UN.INF"
    |
    | ........End.......................
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | | PCR Pro,
    | | I read where you answered Pa Bear about updates in add/remove
    control
    | | panel.
    | | And, yes Microsoft knows I removed it and it is offered to me again.
    | |
    | | I took KB891711 & KB888113 at the same time, early in the day soon
    after
    | my
    | | first boot of the day. According to your post to Pa Bear you listed
    these
    | | updates....
    | |
    | | Only KB891711 would show up at MSConfig, but both would show at
    "Control
    | | Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"
    | |
    | | (a) Windows 98 KB891711 Update (don't have)
    | | (b) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    | | (c) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    | | (d) Windows 98 Q888113 Update **doesn't show, restored registry**
    | | (e) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    | |
    | | I uninstalled KB891711 using Control Panel and checked the files
    that Gary
    | | Terhune listed for the patch, and then I exited to dos and did a
    scanreg
    | | /restore and restored my registry to my first boot of the day.
    | |
    | | OK, WU offers me KB891711 but not KB888113 and I restored the
    registry. I
    | | don't see KB888113 in add/remove list in control panel (I wouldn't
    since I
    | | restored the registry). I looked at my log in my WU folder and both
    | updates
    | | show being successful.
    | |
    | | What I'm asking is how can WU know.... if I restored the registry,
    | would
    | | think both updates would be offered to me again, yet I'm offered
    only
    | | KB891711... ???
    | |
    | | Star
    | |
    | |
    | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | | > That is sad, that all Dial-ups do not suffer our fate. However,
    let us
    | | > rejoice. It seems some cable folk do suffer! So, MS must STILL fix
    the
    | | > fix, if enough users are affected, adding us all up.
    | | >
    | | > I anxiously await running into your post. If I haven't seen
    Glee's, soon
    | | > I will. You mean the one where he said a bunch of his Win98's were
    | | > affected? That's good. NOW, the MVPs will unite & get us a fix!
    | | >
    | | > That is TREBLY sad that MS STILL has it available at WU! Geeez!

    | | > page
    | | >
    | | > I did that in response to Blanton's request elsewhere. It was
    worse.
    | | > NetZero wouldn't even connect. Same BSOD. I closed KB891711.exe,
    have
    | | > not reboot, clicked NetZero again-- & here I am.
    | | >
    | | > --
    | | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | > should things get worse after this,
    | | > PCR
    | | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | > "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | | > dial-up
    | | > it
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > disabled
    | | > and, if
    | | > run it
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > page
    | | > |
    | | > the
    | | > |
    | | > for
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > fix by

    | | > | > |
    <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    | | > wrote:
    | | > | > |
    So, it
    Those two
    | | > also
    that
    | | > may
    | | > | > |

    | | > |
    | | > |

    | |
    | |

  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Oh.... Good, thanks!! (see below)
    > You are welcome. I'm glad I didn't have to explain those Exports. I did
    > post them in MIME, hoping they would not break when copied to Notepad.
    > Apparently, they did not. OK, then.
    >
    > Well, it's a mystery how the site knows whether a thing is installed, as
    > it may do it differently per critical. It seems, for Q888113, it is
    > using the obvious one of those Registry keys.
    >
    > To know whether Q888113 is installed...
    >
    > (1) Look through the docs...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-015.mspx
    > Do you have the files & version it may mention?

    ** I did look for the files to be listed, and I looked & looked, followed
    links, but couldn't find any listing.

    > (2) "START, Run, SFC" after each install/update. It will list the files
    > that were changed. Mine showed the following for Q888113 & the devil
    > KB891711...

    PCR, I'm lost w/SFC.... I have tried to figure it out, I can restore files
    from OS cd, and therefore it is useful.
    (see below)

    > ....Quote SFCLog.txt...........
    > [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
    > hlink.dll Updated 5.0.4513 10/20/00 5.2.3790.22 11/16/04

    **Yes, have this file in above location, w/date same as yours
    > No
    > [C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS]
    > HLINK.DLL Added 5.2.3790.22 11/16/04

    **OK, have above file HLINK.DLL in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

    ** So, really NO files were added, HLink.dll was updated and it was added to
    another location and that's it ??

    > [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711]
    > KB891711.EXE Added 4.10.2222 2/22/05
    > Q891711.DLL Added 4.10.2222 2/18/05

    ** Don't have the above of course, after the uninstall it left an empty
    folder and I trashed it too!!

    > ....EOQ............................
    >
    > Apparently, it didn't catch the .inf files (they each have one).
    >
    > (3) You could look inside "C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\888113UN.INF". But
    > you'll need to know .inf-talk. Note it does mention itself & HLINK.DLL.
    > Here it is...

    ** YES, I do have the INF file, yeah!! I didn't think of a .inf.... but I'm
    learning. I could actually re-install from the .inf file ? But, I'm OK!!

    ** I guess Windows UD has a way... like I said, it wasn't offered to me, and
    I restored the Registry, somehow I think that's odd. The .xml log says,
    "both were successful and so does not my History at WU.... they know I don't
    have the devel anymore.

    Thats PCR Pro, maybe you can help me understand & work w/SFC sometime!!

    Star

> [...]
    > | | I uninstalled KB891711 using Control Panel and checked the files
    > that Gary
    > | | Terhune listed for the patch, and then I exited to dos and did a
    > scanreg
    > | | /restore and restored my registry to my first boot of the day.
    > | |
    > | | OK, WU offers me KB891711 but not KB888113 and I restored the
    > registry. I
    > | | don't see KB888113 in add/remove list in control panel (I wouldn't
    > since I
    > | | restored the registry). I looked at my log in my WU folder and both
    > | updates
    > | | show being successful.
    > | |
    > | | What I'm asking is how can WU know.... if I restored the registry,
    > | would
    > | | think both updates would be offered to me again, yet I'm offered

  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Oh, sure, you are welcome! Right, but it was WORSE than normal. My prior
    experience (when booting with KB891711.exe in the Startup Group) was
    that NetZero WOULD connect, & I could use OE online. Just, as NetZero
    tried to open it's home page, IE would BSOD in an orderly manner. Also,
    every attempt to use IE would do the same. Close KB891711.exe at any
    time, & IE would work. OK, then. I'm torn between further
    experimentation or vowing to do my taxes. OK, bye.

    --
    | >I have a thread going on it, named "KB891711". Here is your permit to
    | > enter it...
    | >
    | > Permit one sinner Bill Blanton with ideas into "KB891711".
    | > Signed... PCR.
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | > NetZero crashes at it's second screen, before I can click the
    Connect
    | > button offered there. It is the same orderly... "A fatal exception
    0D
    | > has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...". I "press(ed) any key", & here I
    am
    | > with all else amazingly working as before.
    |
    | Well, at least it's orderly.

  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | Oh.... Good, thanks!! (see below)
    | > You are welcome. I'm glad I didn't have to explain those Exports. I
    did
    | > post them in MIME, hoping they would not break when copied to
    Notepad.
    | > Apparently, they did not. OK, then.
    | >
    | > Well, it's a mystery how the site knows whether a thing is
    installed, as
    | > it may do it differently per critical. It seems, for Q888113, it is
    | > using the obvious one of those Registry keys.
    | >
    | > To know whether Q888113 is installed...
    | >
    | > (1) Look through the docs...
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-015.mspx
    | > Do you have the files & version it may mention?
    |
    | ** I did look for the files to be listed, and I looked & looked,
    followed
    | links, but couldn't find any listing.

    Oooo, you're right! Those BUMS listed the files for three OS, but none
    of them was Win98! We are 2nd class citizens, now-- us & WinME.

    | > (2) "START, Run, SFC" after each install/update. It will list the
    files
    | > that were changed. Mine showed the following for Q888113 & the devil
    | > KB891711...
    |
    | PCR, I'm lost w/SFC.... I have tried to figure it out, I can restore
    files
    | from OS cd, and therefore it is useful.

    "START, Run, SFC"
    However, this tool needs a priming, which basically means to accept all
    current changes. The "Settings", especially "Search Criteria", may need
    adjusting. You may look through the log, C:\Windows\SFCLOG.TXT, to see
    what it's done. Also, there is a certain amount of confusion involved
    with it, under the best of circumstances. For one thing, certain files
    will always seem to have changed. For another, it does not well handle
    version numbers greater than 11 characters.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q185836
    System File Checker
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188186
    SFC baseline
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q192832
    SFC extracts wrong file
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180465&Product=w98
    Error Message: The File Was Not Found. Verify That You Have Selected the
    Correct 'Restore from' Location and Try Again
    http://www.westelcom.com/users/rogersr/sfc.htm SFC use & problems
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html SFC use & problems

    | (see below)
    | >
    | > ....Quote SFCLog.txt...........
    | > [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]
    | > hlink.dll Updated 5.0.4513 10/20/00 5.2.3790.22
    11/16/04

    | **Yes, have this file in above location, w/date same as yours

    That one came from Q888113. (W2K & XP also got Whlink.dll, looks like,
    from that URL, but not us.) It appears...

    "START, Run, QFECheck"

    ....will also show this file for UPD888113 under W98. That's really a
    good place to look.

    | > No
    | > [C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS]
    | > HLINK.DLL Added 5.2.3790.22
    11/16/04

    | **OK, have above file HLINK.DLL in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

    Uhuh. You know, I moved those .cab's to E:\, BUT SFC is still going to
    C:\ for that. I'll have to search my Registry again... rats, it isn't
    there! I guess, soon, I must go click those SFC URLs I've just posted to
    you.

    | ** So, really NO files were added, HLink.dll was updated and it was
    added to
    | another location and that's it ??

    That's by SFC, the way I've got it set. We do know there was an .inf
    that SFC seems to be unaware of, although my search criteria includes
    "C:\Windows". I'll have to investigate!

    | > [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711]
    | > KB891711.EXE Added 4.10.2222
    2/22/05
    | > Q891711.DLL Added 4.10.2222
    2/18/05

    | ** Don't have the above of course, after the uninstall it left an
    empty
    | folder and I trashed it too!!

    Very good. In the end, I'll do that too.

    | > ....EOQ............................
    | >
    | > Apparently, it didn't catch the .inf files (they each have one).
    | >
    | > (3) You could look inside "C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\888113UN.INF". But
    | > you'll need to know .inf-talk. Note it does mention itself &
    HLINK.DLL.
    | > Here it is...
    |
    | ** YES, I do have the INF file, yeah!! I didn't think of a .inf....
    but I'm
    | learning. I could actually re-install from the .inf file ? But, I'm
    OK!!

    You're OK, having taken the .reg's. I thought of the .inf. But... I
    guess... it will uninstall (instead of install) those Registry entries.
    I'm sure there's a way to fix it to do the reverse-- but I don't know
    how!

    | ** I guess Windows UD has a way... like I said, it wasn't offered to
    me,

    I seem to recall WU had a way to uninstall some of the updates, but I
    haven't seen it there in quite a while.

    | and
    | I restored the Registry, somehow I think that's odd.

    Well, I'm not a great fan of that. And your experience this time is a
    prime reason why. It can easily undo more than one bargains for. It
    would have worked, I guess, if only one update was involved.

    | The .xml log says,
    | "both were successful and so does not my History at WU.... they know I
    don't
    | have the devel anymore.

    As the site still offers that little devil, you are OK, no matter what
    the History says.

    | Thats PCR Pro, maybe you can help me understand & work w/SFC
    sometime!!

    You are welcome. Well, go read those URLs. If you have any further
    questions, I guess I'll go read them too.

    | Star
    | >
    | > ..........Quote of 888113UN.INF...........
    | > ; 888113UN.INF
    | > ; This is the Setup information file to uninstall the Windows
    KB888113
    | > Update:
    | >
    | > [version]
    | > AdvancedINF = 2.5, %AdvPackWarn%
    | > signature=$CHICAGO$
    | >
    | > [DefaultInstall]
    | > DelFiles=WinUPD.delFiles,WinUPD.delINF,WinUPD.Options
    | > delreg=WinUPD.delreg
    | > RenFiles=WinUPD.renFiles
    | > DelDirs=WinUPD.deldir
    | >
    | > [DestinationDirs]
    | > WinUPD.delFiles = 11
    | > WinUPD.renFiles = 11
    | > WinUPD.Options = 10,options\cabs
    | > WinUPD.delINF = 17,QFE\%SPKey%
    | >
    | > [WinUPD.delFiles]
    | > hlink.dll
    | >
    | > [WinUPD.Options]
    | > hlink.dll
    | >
    | > [WinUPD.renFiles]
    | > hlink.dll,888113.qfe
    | >
    | > [WinUPD.delINF]
    | > 888113UN.INF
    | >
    | > [WinUPD.deldir]
    | > %17%/qfe/%SPKey%
    | >
    | > [WinUPD.delreg]
    | > HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%\,,,"%UpdName%"
    | > HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\%GUID%",,,

    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%UpdID%",,,

    | > [Strings]
    | > ;Non-localizable
    | > LANG= "EN"
    | > LocaleID= "UPD"
    | > Guid= "{3a753dda-02a0-4834-b37c-9d3470a556ce}"
    | > VERSION= "4.10.0.1998"
    | > UpdID= "888113"
    | > UpdateKey= "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates"
    | > SPKey= "W98"
    | >

    | > ;Localizable strings
    | > UpdName="Windows KB888113 Patch"
    | > AdvPackWarn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
    | > SrcDiskName="KB888113 Patch"
    | > ........EOQ...................
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    ....snip

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Brian,

    I have DSL and had the same problems. I had to uninstall and then delete
    the subdirectory to get everything back in working order. I have McAfee
    virus protection and firewall. Don't know if that has any impact, but every
    bit of info may help.

    Bobbii

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > Pure cable and no problem. Dial up may be the common denominator, don't
    > know and can't say. Many users are up in arms over the issue, yet getting
    > info is like pulling teeth.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > > You don't have dial-up, then? Do you have the problem with KB891711.exe?
    > > Do you know whether it crashes only dial-up machines?
    > >

    > > --
    > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > > should things get worse after this,
    > > PCR
    > > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > > | Not all, I'm always connected.
    > > |
    > > | --
    > > |
    > > | Brian A.
    > > |
    > > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > |

    > > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    > > there
    > > for
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > just
    > > other

    > > Q891711.dll

    > > files

    > > own
    > > with

    > > I'd
    > > startup

    > > heard
    > > problem.

    > > in
    > > confirm
    > > MS
    > > blue
    > > that
    > > backup to

    > > and

    > > | > |

  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    As you all know by now, KB891711 is the culprit. Since my earlier posts I
    have confirmed at least 4 different issues all related to that stupid patch
    that starts a new process that runs all the time. Get a clue MS, Windows
    does not need any more processes running by default. It's fat enough
    already. For now I have removed the registry entry that starts KB891711.exe
    in the run services key until MS has a fix. Doing either this or using
    MSConfig keeps Windows Update from wanting to reinstall it.

    The 4 issues I have personally seen are;
    Blue screen at login.
    Blue screen when opening a web browser, doesn't seem to matter which one.
    Blue screen when opening an .pdf file attachment in an Outlook email.
    Blue screen when trying to send an email from Outlook.

    Do you think they did any testing on this one before releasing this one? :o(

    John

    "GP" wrote:

    > I started having the same problem - was checking my msconfig startup window
    > and found that the file KB891711 was now in startup - I removed the check -
    > restarted my computer no more problems. Sorry about the previous blank
    > message.
    >
    > "Jluvs2dive" wrote:
    >
    > > Terry,
    > > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the problem.
    > > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS Bulletin 891711
    > > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens at login
    > > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or lockups upon
    > > launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue screening at
    > > login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second user is not
    > > one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both systems started
    > > this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I can come up
    > > with a solution for you.
    > > John
    > >
    > > "TerryG" wrote:
    > >
    > > > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
    > > > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right after
    > > > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out of
    > > > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
    > > > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > T.
  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    That's about the size of it. Turn it off & wait patiently. Don't click
    many strange URLs, as the vulnerability depends upon malicious site
    participation. Don't read posts in HTML. Update your virus checker. Say
    a prayer of between 7 & 18 words before turning on the computer.

    --
    | As you all know by now, KB891711 is the culprit. Since my earlier
    posts I
    | have confirmed at least 4 different issues all related to that stupid
    patch
    | that starts a new process that runs all the time. Get a clue MS,
    Windows
    | does not need any more processes running by default. It's fat enough
    | already. For now I have removed the registry entry that starts
    KB891711.exe
    | in the run services key until MS has a fix. Doing either this or
    using
    | MSConfig keeps Windows Update from wanting to reinstall it.
    |
    | The 4 issues I have personally seen are;
    | Blue screen at login.
    | Blue screen when opening a web browser, doesn't seem to matter which
    one.
    | Blue screen when opening an .pdf file attachment in an Outlook email.
    | Blue screen when trying to send an email from Outlook.
    |
    | Do you think they did any testing on this one before releasing this
    one? :o(

    | John
    |
    | "GP" wrote:
    |
    | > I started having the same problem - was checking my msconfig startup
    window
    | > and found that the file KB891711 was now in startup - I removed the
    check -
    | > restarted my computer no more problems. Sorry about the previous
    blank
    | > message.
    | >
    | > "Jluvs2dive" wrote:
    | >
    | > > Terry,
    | > > I don't have an answer for you yet, but I do want to confirm the
    problem.
    | > > The problem starts after applying either the update from MS
    Bulletin 891711
    | > > or 888113 or both. I have one user that was getting blue screens
    at login
    | > > unless in safe mode, and another that is getting blue screens or
    lockups upon
    | > > launching either IE or Netscape. The first system that was blue
    screening at
    | > > login has been rolled back by our backup software. The second
    user is not
    | > > one of mine and does not have a backup to roll back to. Both
    systems started
    | > > this behavior after doing the MS updates. I will post again if I
    can come up
    | > > with a solution for you.
    | > > John

    Win98 from

  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I've received a request from the team that's working on the
    KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
    with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
    them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
    problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
    received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
    been reported thus far.

    (According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
    were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
    uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
    affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
    patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before journeying
    out onto the internet.)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "TerryG" <TerryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for Win98 from
    > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but right
    after
    > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is out
    of
    > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does anyone know
    > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > T.
  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    See Don Kirkpatrick's reply to me on this issue. As I suspected, the
    right hand still doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Microsoft.
    I'd hold off on directly calling MS on this issue until this gets
    straightened out.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > I've received a request from the team that's working on the
    > KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had
    problems
    > with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
    > them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
    > problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not
    yet
    > received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than
    has
    > been reported thus far.
    >
    > (According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
    > were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
    > uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
    > affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
    > patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before
    journeying
    > out onto the internet.)
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "TerryG" <TerryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > A couple days ago, I received a notification of new updates for
    Win98 from
    > > Windows Update. After I installed these, Windows boots up, but
    right
    > after
    > > starting, I get several blue screens and the machine locks up and is
    out
    > of
    > > memory. All I can do is either run in Safe Mode or DOS. Does
    anyone know
    > > how I can back out the two updates that were applied?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > T.

  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    The latest from MS:

    "Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
    98,
    Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
    confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.

    "Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
    return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
    of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
    MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
    additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
    PCSAFETY."

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User