Quick launch toolbar changes size

Each time I boot up Windows 98SE, My quick launch toolbar shrinks so that I
can see only four of the eight icons in the toolbar. The order of the icons
is also changed. To fix the toolbar, I must drag it to the right and
rearrange the icons every time I boot up. Is there a way to fix this without
re-installing Windows?
16 answers Last reply
More about quick launch toolbar size

    Lubens wrote:
    > Each time I boot up Windows 98SE, My quick launch toolbar shrinks so
    > that I can see only four of the eight icons in the toolbar. The
    > order of the icons is also changed. To fix the toolbar, I must drag
    > it to the right and rearrange the icons every time I boot up. Is
    > there a way to fix this without re-installing Windows?

    Sure. Make it bigger and set it to autohide.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH wrote:

    > Lubens wrote:
    >
    >>Each time I boot up Windows 98SE, My quick launch toolbar shrinks so
    >>that I can see only four of the eight icons in the toolbar. The
    >>order of the icons is also changed. To fix the toolbar, I must drag
    >>it to the right and rearrange the icons every time I boot up. Is
    >>there a way to fix this without re-installing Windows?
    >
    > Sure. Make it bigger and set it to autohide.

    When arranged the whay you want it, rightclick on an emty part of the
    taskbar and check 'Lock the Taskbar'.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    dadiOH wrote:
    > Sure. Make it bigger and set it to autohide.

    Wrong answer!

    Dave D wrote:
    >> Lubens wrote:
    >>> Each time I boot up Windows 98SE, My quick launch toolbar shrinks so
    >>> that I can see only four of the eight icons in the toolbar. The
    >>> order of the icons is also changed. To fix the toolbar, I must drag
    >>> it to the right and rearrange the icons every time I boot up. Is
    >>> there a way to fix this without re-installing Windows?
    >
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >> Sure. Make it bigger and set it to autohide.
    >>
    > Wrong answer!

    Tried it?

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Make *what* bigger? The Task Bar? Double height?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Make *what* bigger? The Task Bar? Double height?

    Right, the task bar. OP complained that his QuickLaunch toolbar kept
    "shrinking" so that he could only see four of the eight icons thereon.
    One way to fix it is to give the taskbar more real estate.

    Now, I know people are fixated on an itsy bitsy taskbar at the bottom of
    the CRT - one that is always there - so I suggested he make the taskbar
    bigger and set it to auto hide so it wouldn't be in his way but always
    available.

    Apparently, Dave D disagrees with me. So who cares, haven't seen an
    answer from him and apparently he hasn't bothered to try it.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    I, too, fail to see how your suggestion would result in the desired end.
    The reason the QL toolbar reverts to "Closed" (showing only three icons
    and hiding the rest behind a >>) would have nothing to do with the
    Taskbar being double high, and nothing to do with how "crowded" it is.
    Only difference I can see is that while the default width would still be
    three icons, the total number would be three wide by two high, or six
    icons instead of three.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > I, too, fail to see how your suggestion would result in the desired
    > end. The reason the QL toolbar reverts to "Closed" (showing only
    > three icons and hiding the rest behind a >>) would have nothing to do
    > with the Taskbar being double high, and nothing to do with how
    > "crowded" it is. Only difference I can see is that while the default
    > width would still be three icons, the total number would be three
    > wide by two high, or six icons instead of three

    I have no idea what the default is, don't use QuickLaunch and my taskbar
    is on the side. But if default is 3 wide, what in the world prevents
    him from dragging the taskbar up high enough for three rows, not just
    two? Or four rows...or five, six...let the imagination soar :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Yours is a "workaround", not a solution. And a rather unsatisfactory
    one, at that.

    --

    > Make *what* bigger? The Task Bar? Double height?

    I realy do think your reply should appear here. His answer was wrong.

    My reply to what? The original question? The answer, as far as I know,
    is "If Lock Taskbar" doesn't do it, I doubt it can be done.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Dave D wrote:

    > I realy do think your reply should appear here.

    What, he's your big brother??
    ______________

    > His answer was wrong.

    So tell the OP whatever you think is correct. I repeat, tried it?

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    > My reply to what? The original question? The answer, as far as I know,
    > is "If Lock Taskbar" doesn't do it, I doubt it can be done.

    If you are referring to my 'Lock the Taskbar' suggestion.
    I booted into Win98 and notice that, oops, it is not present there as it
    is for WinXP where i had checked it out before posting. Sorry.

    And Gary, are your "I doubt it can be done." meaning it *should* shrink?
    Because when i now test, in Win98SE, by putting eight items in 'Quick
    Launch' and resizing the size of its taskbar so all items are shown,
    then rebooting the toolbarposition remains so all items are still visible.

    Maybe the OP can test by dragging the 'Quick Launch' toolbar, by its
    handle on its left side, to the right past the main (taskbutton) toolbar
    and see if it will display all eight icons there next to the SystemTray
    after a restart. Just something else, easy to test, if dadiOH's
    suggestion isn't satisfying.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Yours is a "workaround", not a solution. And a rather unsatisfactory
    > one, at that.

    So fix it for him.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    I already gave my answer on the subject: If it won't save the settings,
    there is every possibility that it can't be fixed. This is one of those
    areas of Windows that is very touchy, and whereas on an ideal or even
    average system the setting should stick (cf the second post in this
    thread from ...et al), there are a sizable number of systems where you
    simply have to accept that the setting won't stick. I have yet to see
    these types of "problems" respond to more than lucky happenstance in
    discovering what part of the system's environment happened to be
    interfering with expected behavior. Saving settings, a properly
    performing Standby... All of these are dependent upon so many variables
    that t-shooting is, for all intents and purposes, a futile
    exercise--unless you are *really* bored with life.

    None of that changes the fact and opinions expressed in my previous
    post: What's more, taskbar settings not being properly saved
    significantly increases the chances that an "autohide" Taskbar will also
    be cantankerous. Never mind the fact that you are suggesting the OP
    "fix" a relatively minor blemish by soaking up another ten percent of
    the desktop real estate.

    Sometimes the answer really is, "You'd be much better off letting that
    particular sleeping dog lie undisturbed."

    --

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Yours is a "workaround", not a solution. And a rather unsatisfactory
    > > one, at that.
    >
    > So fix it for him.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    As dadiOH & ... et al. are saying, play with moving it around, turning
    it on/off, etc. Otherwise, go look for an article...

    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "Taskbar"; Windows 98; Title Only; produces many, including...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;247502&Product=w98
    Taskbar Missing in Windows 95/98/Me

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229137&Product=w98
    Taskbar May Disappear When Using the Magnifier Tool
    (229137) - When you are using the Magnifier tool, the taskbar on the
    desktop may not be displayed.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199161&Product=w98
    Unable to See or Use the Taskbar
    (199161) - When you try to use the taskbar, you may not be able to see
    it or use it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129417&Product=w98
    Taskbar Options Not Restored After Using Safe Mode
    (129417) - After you start Windows in Safe mode and then restart Windows
    normally, your non-default taskbar options are lost. For example, if you
    selected the "Show small icons in Start menu" option, this option is no
    longer selected after you start Windows in...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;134237&Product=w98
    Taskbar is Not Visible in Windows
    (134237) - When you run Windows, the taskbar is not visible on the
    screen.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Lubens" <Lubens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Each time I boot up Windows 98SE, My quick launch toolbar shrinks so
    that I
    | can see only four of the eight icons in the toolbar. The order of the
    icons
    | is also changed. To fix the toolbar, I must drag it to the right and
    | rearrange the icons every time I boot up. Is there a way to fix this
    without
    | re-installing Windows?

Boot Quick Launch Icons Windows