No SOUND!!

Okay, I have no sound for the various windows BUT yet my CD has sound fine!
I went to the Control Panel, Sound and clicked on the various "preview"
sounds and I get an error message that basically says "damaged or missing
..wav file". So how do you repair or replace that? Thanks for any help!

"Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I have no sound for the various windows BUT yet my CD has sound
fine!
> I went to the Control Panel, Sound and clicked on the various "preview"
> sounds and I get an error message that basically says "damaged or missing
> .wav file". So how do you repair or replace that? Thanks for any help!

Use
Control Panel ;
Add/Remove Programs ;
Windows Setup ;
Multimedia

Install Multimedia Sound Schemes

You can use SFC.exe to replace .wav files that are corrupt.

Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in the
complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the browse
button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting window,
browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files (either
the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in" box is
wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be restored to.
Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the location
where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or skip as
appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will occur
during the boot process.

If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I highly
recommend that you first read the article here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html

Just in case you need it:

Troubleshooting Wave Sound File Problems in Windows 95/98 [Q140334]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q140/3/34.asp

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I have no sound for the various windows BUT yet my CD has sound
> fine!
> I went to the Control Panel, Sound and clicked on the various "preview"
> sounds and I get an error message that basically says "damaged or missing
> .wav file". So how do you repair or replace that? Thanks for any help!

Thanks I found the answer at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188134

"Hugh Candlin" wrote:

> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, I have no sound for the various windows BUT yet my CD has sound
> fine!
> > I went to the Control Panel, Sound and clicked on the various "preview"
> > sounds and I get an error message that basically says "damaged or missing
> > .wav file". So how do you repair or replace that? Thanks for any help!
>
> Use
> Control Panel ;
> Add/Remove Programs ;
> Windows Setup ;
> Multimedia
>
> Install Multimedia Sound Schemes

What does the missing standby option have to do with your .wav files being
damaged?

--

> Thanks I found the answer at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188134
>
> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
>> You can use SFC.exe to replace .wav files that are corrupt.
>>
>> Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in the
>> complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the browse
>> button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting window,
>> browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files
>> (either
>> the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in" box
>> is
>> wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be restored to.
>> Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the location
>> where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or skip as
>> appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will occur
>> during the boot process.
>>
>> If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I
>> highly
>> recommend that you first read the article here:
>> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html
>>
>> Just in case you need it:
>>
>> Troubleshooting Wave Sound File Problems in Windows 95/98 [Q140334]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q140/3/34.asp
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> Knowledge Base Info:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>
>> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Okay, I have no sound for the various windows BUT yet my CD has sound
>> > fine!
>> > I went to the Control Panel, Sound and clicked on the various "preview"
>> > sounds and I get an error message that basically says "damaged or
>> > missing
>> > .wav file". So how do you repair or replace that? Thanks for any
>> > help!

As mentioned in a later post, I fail to see what that has to do with sound.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Thanks I found the answer at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188134
>
> "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
>

>> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Okay, I have no sound for the various windows BUT yet my CD has sound
>> fine!
>> > I went to the Control Panel, Sound and clicked on the various "preview"
>> > sounds and I get an error message that basically says "damaged or
>> > missing
>> > .wav file". So how do you repair or replace that? Thanks for any
>> > help!
>>
>> Use
>> Control Panel ;
>> Add/Remove Programs ;
>> Windows Setup ;
>> Multimedia
>>
>> Install Multimedia Sound Schemes

I'm sorry I was trying to help someone else with the same problem I had
recently with my standby mode and when I went to copy and paste here the
wrong thing came up and I failed to check the link! It was an honest
mistake! Sorry! I'm gonna list the remedy for this here because I searched
this newsgroup for an answer from somebody elses question and couldn't find
it! So ignore this if you don't have this problem!

As someone here said "after" I found the answer to my sound problem, I did
the following:
Click Start, Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double click Add/Remove Programs
Click the Windows Setup tab
Deselect the Multimedia Checkbox
Click OK and restart the computer
After the computer completes the Startup cycle, perform the following steps
to install Multimedia:
Click Start, Settings, and then Click Control Panel.
Double click Add/Remove Programs
Click the Windows Setup tab
Select the Multimedia checkbox
Click OK and restart the computer.

I actually found my answer on Compaq/HP site and it gave the instructions
for each Windows version. And I might add that it was faster to find there
then on Microsoft's Troubleshooting website!
Thanks and I apologize for my error!

"Brian A." wrote:

> As mentioned in a later post, I fail to see what that has to do with sound.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks I found the answer at:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188134
> >
> > "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
> >

> >> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> fine!
> >>
> >> Use
> >> Control Panel ;
> >> Add/Remove Programs ;
> >> Windows Setup ;
> >> Multimedia
> >>
> >> Install Multimedia Sound Schemes

Ron,
As I told Brian A. in an earlier question regarding this; I was trying to
help someone else with a standby issue that I recently had, I went to copy
and paste the link and apparently my computer kept the same link and I failed
to double check it here! It was a mistake! Sorry for any confusion!

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> What does the missing standby option have to do with your .wav files being
> damaged?
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>
> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks I found the answer at:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188134
> >
> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> >> You can use SFC.exe to replace .wav files that are corrupt.
> >>
> >> Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in the
> >> complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the browse
> >> button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting window,
> >> browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files
> >> (either
> >> the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in" box
> >> is
> >> wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be restored to.
> >> Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the location
> >> where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or skip as
> >> appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will occur
> >> during the boot process.
> >>
> >> If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I
> >> highly
> >> recommend that you first read the article here:
> >> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html
> >>
> >> Just in case you need it:
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting Wave Sound File Problems in Windows 95/98 [Q140334]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q140/3/34.asp
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> >> Knowledge Base Info:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >>
> >> "Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Not a problem, I was just kind of mystified as to how that could be a player
with a sound problem :)