What Windows version do I need for my new rig?

arcticle

Jul 29, 2012
Just ordered all my PC components, all I need now is my OS. What version of Windows do I need? Is it Windows 8 64 bit OEM?

Thanks!

arcticle

Jul 29, 2012
But I will have no OS on my PC when I get it. Therefore, I cannot "upgrade" my current version. I will need an OS that does not require for you to already have an OS installed on your PC.

It is more than a preference than a need issue.

Many do not like the new interface of Windows 8, compared to 7.
Personally, I agree, and suggest windows 7 if for no other reason that it is more mature, an will not have any issues with it.

If your pc has 4gb of ram, then 32 or 64 bit would be ok.
If you have more then a 64 bit version will be needed to access more than4gb.

And.. If you have more than 16gb, you will need windows 7 pro or ultimate to address >16gb.

You can buy windows 7 in three versions.
Retail is the most expensive. It can later be transferred freely to a new motherboard.
You also get 90 days MS free support for install issues.

OEM is much cheaper, but you get no MS support except for updates, and there are limits on how freely you can transfer the license to a different motherboard. You need to pick 32 bit or 64 bit versions.

Upgrade will cost about the same as oem, but it is considered as retail.
It comes with both 32 and 64 bit dvd's.
If you have a valid copy of windows you qualify.
But, it need not be installed on your pc to do a clean install using upgrade media.
Read here for a full explanation:
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

My take is that most users will qualify and benefit from using the windows 7 upgrade package.

Windows 8 may work differently, dependong on how you acquired it.
Read more here: http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Windows 8 there are no driver issues with windows 8 and games. Please do not summit incorrect info. In fact games run with no issues, please give concrete evidience of current or past games that have driver issues.Edit you have upgrade to a new system so your hardware will support windows 8 and dx11. your good to go: Edit one more time, 8 and more version, will support dx.11.1, more reason to buy 8. Currently 7 only does some features of dx 11.1
buy windows 8

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Would you give more reason why 7 sp1 over 8, 7 does not support dx11.1 and he has a new system that will support dx11.1.

windows 8
desktop.jpg
desktop2.jpg