Explorer error in MSHTML.DLL

I recently had an error in my computer where I couldn't get past the start
up. A friend of mine showed me how to reinstall windows from dos and get back
into the desktop. Now, unfortunately, explorer will not run. I cannot open My
Documents or beyond the first page of My Computer. Also, Internet explorer
will not run (this is a different computer). When I try to open My Documents,
it says and illegal opperation occurred and gives me the details of a fault
in MSHTML at 0167:63621bcf. I can't give the rest of the details as it's on
the other computer and manually typing it in could take a while. I personally
think it's an error in explorer, so if anyone knows how to fix this, much
gratitude to them. Please help and thank you for your time.
4 answers Last reply
More about explorer error mshtml

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239094&Product=w98
    Various Error Messages Displayed and Slow Windows Performance When
    Virtual Memory Is Enabled (239094) - When you click the Performance tab
    of the System Properties tool, you may receive the following message:
    Performance may be improved by enabling virtual memory. If you examine
    the Virtual Memory option, virtual memory is enabled. In addition,
    Windows...

    That one is unlikely. It says your Swap File should not be attributed
    Read-Only. Anyway, you didn't describe all that.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298098&Product=w98
    Error Message: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
    Mshtml.dll at 015f:70cbb044
    (298098) - When you attempt to access the CD-ROM drive on your Microsoft
    Windows-based computer, you may receive an error message similar to the
    following: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Mshtml.dll at
    015f:70cbb044 -or- When you attempt to use...

    That one says to replace MSHTML.dll from your cabs. However, that would
    be an old version of a file that surely has been updated, with every IE
    cumulative update. Therefore...

    (1) "START, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, IE Repair Tool"
    It produces a rather large "Fix IE Log.txt" in C:\Windows. IE & E
    are basically one & the same. If this crashes, an over-install of IE is
    indicated.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177
    Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool

    (2) Over-install IE. Try first without, but I believe it will request an
    internet connection. Perhaps it is best to let it connect, actually. If
    you don't care to get this fancy, just skip to step (c).

    (a) Turn off interfering programs. Use http://www.pcmag.com/ 's
    "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2". Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab".
    Note what is unchecked, if anything. Then, go to the General tab &
    disable the entire Startup Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking
    "Load Startup...". Reboot.

    (b) Perhaps, if you haven't got EndItAll2, then "Ctrl-Alt-Del" & end
    task all but Explorer & Systray. If this goes badly, start again from
    top, & skip it next time.

    (c) "START, Find, F/F, IE6Setup.exe". Click it in the Find window.
    NOTE: If you are IE5, then it's "IE5Setup.exe". If there are more
    than one (I have two each), click the one in "C:\WINDOWS\Windows
    Update Setup Files" or "C:\Windows Update Setup Files", as applicable.

    (d) Re-enable the Startup Group. That will automatically check all
    items. Go to the Startup tab & uncheck any noted in step (a). Reboot.

    (e) Perhaps go to Windows Update, to see whether it now offers
    criticals.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Dragoncluck" <Dragoncluck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I recently had an error in my computer where I couldn't get past the
    start
    | up. A friend of mine showed me how to reinstall windows from dos and
    get back
    | into the desktop. Now, unfortunately, explorer will not run. I cannot
    open My
    | Documents or beyond the first page of My Computer. Also, Internet
    explorer
    | will not run (this is a different computer). When I try to open My
    Documents,
    | it says and illegal opperation occurred and gives me the details of a
    fault
    | in MSHTML at 0167:63621bcf. I can't give the rest of the details as
    it's on
    | the other computer and manually typing it in could take a while. I
    personally
    | think it's an error in explorer, so if anyone knows how to fix this,
    much
    | gratitude to them. Please help and thank you for your time.

    Unfortunately, these steps did not work. I reinstalled internet explorer 6
    but I get the same error messages. I don't know what further information I
    can give you to help. If you let me know I can answer any questions.

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > get back
    > | into the desktop. Now, unfortunately, explorer will not run. I cannot
    > open My
    > | Documents or beyond the first page of My Computer. Also, Internet
    > explorer
    > | will not run (this is a different computer). When I try to open My
    > Documents,
    > | it says and illegal opperation occurred and gives me the details of a
    > fault
    > | in MSHTML at 0167:63621bcf. I can't give the rest of the details as
    > it's on
    > | the other computer and manually typing it in could take a while. I
    > personally
    > | think it's an error in explorer, so if anyone knows how to fix this,
    > much
    > | gratitude to them. Please help and thank you for your time.

    Do you get any other error message that can be looked up...?...
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB

    --
> [...]
    cannot
    | > open My
    | > | Documents or beyond the first page of My Computer. Also, Internet
    | > explorer
    | > | will not run (this is a different computer). When I try to open My
    | > Documents,
    | > | it says and illegal opperation occurred and gives me the details
    of a
    | > fault
    | > | in MSHTML at 0167:63621bcf. I can't give the rest of the details
    as
    | > it's on
    | > | the other computer and manually typing it in could take a while. I
    | > personally
    | > | think it's an error in explorer, so if anyone knows how to fix
    this,
    | > much
    | > | gratitude to them. Please help and thank you for your time.

    Copy/paste the following line into an IE Addressbar, click on GO, then
    copy/paste the results into your reply:

    javascript:navigator.appMinorVersion
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

Computers Explorer Windows