kernel32 popup

RJ

Sometimes a window pops up saying:

IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff9db61

I click Close but the window doesn't go away and I have to reboot.

Also, when I right click a file, instead of seeing 'Open', I see 'blank'.
I reinstalled Win98 but it didn't help.

You may need new video drivers. Check the website of your video board or
computer manufacturer. Meanwhile, you can do the following:

1. Use the default mouse pointers.

2. Turn down your color depth. (Right click the desktop and choose
Properties | Appearance | Settings) Some people find that increasing color
depth helps.

3. Turn down your graphics hardware acceleration. (Start | Settings |
Control Panel | System | Performance | Graphics button) You will see
little, if any, performance degradation.

4. Turn off your desktop wallpaper.

If these make the problem go away you need new video drivers.

Also check your system for "hijackware":

Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

RJ wrote:
> Sometimes a window pops up saying:
>
> IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
> module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff9db61
>
> I click Close but the window doesn't go away and I have to reboot.
>
> Also, when I right click a file, instead of seeing 'Open', I see 'blank'.
> I reinstalled Win98 but it didn't help.

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
Search "Iexplore Kernel32"; Windows 98; All Words; Full Text;
produces...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;276459&Product=w98
Error Message "Iexplore Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
Kernel32.dll" When You Close an Internet Explorer Window
(276459) - When you close an Internet Explorer browser window, you may
receive the following error message: Iexplore caused an Invalid Page
Fault in module Kernel32.dll Clicking OK closes the error message dialog
box. You may also receive one of the following...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300107&Product=w98
Error Message After You Install a Microsoft Reader
(300107) - After you install a Microsoft Reader, you may receive any of
the following error messages: Explorer caused an Invalid Page Fault in
module Msvcrt.dll Iexplore caused an Invalid Page Fault in module
Msvcrt.dll Vsmon caused an Invalid Page Fault in...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316770&Product=w98
DeltaClick DeltaBar Causes an Error Message in Windows
(316770) - If the DeltaClick DeltaBar program is installed on your
computer, you may receive the following error message: Iexplore.exe has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience. If the error message is still displayed and...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217210&Product=w98
How to Multiple Boot Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 95,
Windows 98, Windows Me, and MS-DOS
(217210) - This article describes how to configure an Intel-based
computer to multiple boot the following Microsoft operating system:
MS-DOS Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows
Millennium Edition (Me) Microsoft Windows NT Microsoft...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"RJ" <rjnothere@netzero.net> wrote in message
| Sometimes a window pops up saying:
|
| IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
| module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff9db61
|
| I click Close but the window doesn't go away and I have to reboot.
|
| Also, when I right click a file, instead of seeing 'Open', I see
'blank'.
| I reinstalled Win98 but it didn't help.

(1) You may be in for a long haul...
http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
Search "Kernel32"; Windows 98; Title Only; Exact Phrase; produces over a
page full.

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/errkrn32.htm
Many are here too.

http://aumha.org/a/k32fix.htm
Eshelman's page about Kernel32 errors.

Invalid Page Faults:
http://aumha.org/kbeipf.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/errormsg/kbipf.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q286/1/80.ASP

(2) Here is what mine looks like in Win98SE...

KERNEL32.DLL
Desc: Win32 Kernel core component
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Size: 471,040 bytes
Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
Ver: 4.10.2222

If it comes to reinstalling it, that is old enough never to have been
Windows Updated. Therefore it will be fine right out of the .cabs.

Here is how to do it in DOS...

(a) DIR /s /a C:\KERNEL32.DLL
Will say whether you have it, & where it is. Should be in
"C:\Windows\System"

C:\>DIR /s /a C:\KERNEL32.DLL
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
KERNEL32 DLL 471,040 04-23-99 10:22p KERNEL32.DLL
1 file(s) 471,040 bytes

(b)
"EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System <LOC>\Base4.cab Kernel32.dll"

That is all one line between the quotes with 5 spaces, but do not enter
the quotes. It will offer to overwite, if one is already there.

<LOC> is the location of "Base4.cab". This may be discovered as
follows...

C:\>DIR /s /a C:\base4.cab
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
BASE4 CAB 168,960 04-23-99 10:22p BASE4.CAB
1 file(s) 168,960 bytes

If you have the .cabs on a CD, you will use your CD-ROM drive letter,
instead of "C:\" in that DIR command.

So, in my case, the command is...

"EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\Base4.cab
Kernel32.dll"

All one line: no quotes: there are 5 spaces in the line, including one
after "Base4.cab".