New Cedarmill chips from Intel.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I just wanted to see what you guys think of these new chips that Intel have FINALLY released, as i was thinking of buying a cheap one just to see how far i can overclock it. Any views on them would be much appreciated.

QuantumSheep

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Thanks, i think i'll have to get that then. Just need to find a store in the UK that does it. Do you know what results i should expect with that cooler? I was hoping for something around 3.8-4ghz.

Quantum Sheep.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
So are you planning on getting a dual core Presler or the single core Cedar Mill? WINDSHEAR is right that overclocking is great due to the 65nm process and the 3.8-4GHz overclock you're hoping for can be done using the stock cooler. I'd expect the Zalman CNPS7700 to run cooler and quieter than the stock fan though and will allow additional clocking room.

If you are buying Cedar Mill or Presler I would recommend you hold out for a week or two. Intel is launching the new C1 stepping which uses an improved 65nm process and adds EIST support. They seem to run a lot cooler than the current 65nm parts, so you should definitely look for a C1 stepping chip when you buy.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060421031743.html

Intel just announced that the new C1 stepping 6x1s will have a TDP of 65W which is amazing for the Prescott-derived architecture considering single-cores used to have TDPs of 115W.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well i was planning on getting the Cedarmill single core just for an experiment, but i have ordered the Zalman CNPS7700 to see what i can do with my current 805 as Luminaris suggested.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The 805D are reject cores so your success will largely depend on luck. The 3.4GHz overclock that you have now is fairly average so you can certainly improve on that. Many 805Ds can get to 3.7GHz or Extreme Edition speeds pretty reliably so with the Zalman CNPS7700 you should be able to reach your 3.8GHz goal. I'm fairly certain that your chip won't reach 4 GHz though since with your multiplier locked at 20x you'll be running at a 800MHz FSB. If your chip could do that, then there should be no reason Intel would reject it unless the defect was in the EIST support or they simply missed it.

I'd suggest you just stay with the 805D and the Zalman cooler since there is no reason to spend the money to get a Cedar Mill. Once overclocked, the 805D will offer better performance than the Cedar Mills, even in single-threaded applications.