no sound

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 11, 2005 5:13:06 PM

no sound on pc. I have reinstalled soundmax from intel cdrom but nothing.
Device manager says driver can not be loaded. Any ideas how to get sound back.

More about : sound

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:07:01 PM

You might try this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188134

"radiohead" wrote:

> no sound on pc. I have reinstalled soundmax from intel cdrom but nothing.
> Device manager says driver can not be loaded. Any ideas how to get sound back.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:05:50 PM

Here is basically all I know of audio, except you may also look at a
list of audio devices/drivers in Device Manager. If you go that way,
BETTER be sure of what you've got now, so that you may change back to
it. To see what you've got now...

(a) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab, Sound Video & Game
Controllers branch".
(b) D-Clk the devices under it, each in turn, for Properties.
(c) Click the Driver tab, & then click the "Update Driver button".
(d) Bolt "Display a list..", & click "Next".
What shows up in the "Models" box?
(e) Finally, bolt "Show all hardware".
What is lit up in both the left & right panes?

That is what is currently installed & active. If you choose others from
the left/right panes (& click "Next"), it will constitute an uninstall
of the old & an install of the new. Well, here is all I know...

With the computer off, un/re-plug all audio wires.

Well, try "START, Run, CDPLAYER". It is simpler than, for instance, WMP.
If you get sound there, then it's a setting in WMP, or whatever, at
fault.

(1) Is the sound muted? D-Clk the speaker icon in the Tray to see. If no
speaker is there, then "START button, Settings, Control Panel,
Multimedia", & check the box for it at bottom.

(2) "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, Multimedia,
Volume Control". If it is shown as installed (checked), then uncheck it,
OK your way out, & even perhaps reboot. Then, do it all again, but this
time CHECK it.

(3) In my case, the volume control appears to be part of my audio
drivers...

When I do the following procedure, I am asked to supply drivers during
boot. I bypass the request, & end up with none. Then, I run an .exe
downloaded from Compaq, which puts them back in. Or, I go to a folder &
click a Setup.exe in there, when I want the older drivers.

The point is-- YOU may have to do it that way too. So, prepare.

(a) Boot to Safe Mode. (Enable Startup Menu at "START, Run, MSConfig,
Advanced button.)
(b) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
(c) Open the "Sound, video & game controllers" branch, & delete all
devices under it. This is meant to eliminate "ghosts" of drivers past,
which are invisible in Normal Mode.
(d) Reboot to Normal Mode.
(e) Install your Sound Drivers, if they haven't automatically been
detected.

(4) If you are sure of Audio drivers you may have downloaded, that you
do have a method to reinstall them, then consider...

(a) "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"
(b) If your Audio driver is mentioned there, uninstall it before
installing the new.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"radiohead" <radiohead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| no sound on pc. I have reinstalled soundmax from intel cdrom but
nothing.
| Device manager says driver can not be loaded. Any ideas how to get
sound back.
March 11, 2005 9:15:12 PM

radiohead wrote:
> no sound on pc. I have reinstalled soundmax from intel cdrom but
> nothing. Device manager says driver can not be loaded. Any ideas how
> to get sound back.

If it's still functioning (recent security updates have complicated things)
try the Troubleshooter in 98 Help.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:25:39 AM

I fail to see what that has to do with Sound.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Little bit 77" <littlest_ram(removethis)77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You might try this link:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188134
>
> "radiohead" wrote:
>
>> no sound on pc. I have reinstalled soundmax from intel cdrom but nothing.
>> Device manager says driver can not be loaded. Any ideas how to get sound
>> back.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:48:35 AM

Go to:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/support_inte...

Select your Mobo or Processor, Chipset from the list on left. Check Mobo
first.
Select your OS

Read any/all documentation provided before downloading any updates.
Download, copy/paste and/or print any documentation for easy
access/reference.
Download any latest updates you may need.
Read any/all documentation provided before installing any updates.

Boot to Safe Mode.
Remove any/all devices listed for sound.
Reboot.
Windows will redetect hardware, do not let Windows select the drivers.
Select to "search for drivers in a location" and use the Browse button to
select the folder where the updated drivers are.

--

!