I doubt Vista's transparent 3d rotating shaded icons will be a tremendous load on too many graphics cards....; it will be a gee-whiz feature that many find quite useless for the desktop environment anyway, and certainly not worthy of spending $400 on the newest, loaded 64 bit Pro-Extreme-Deluxe OS!.

However....

Many folks are incorrectly assuming that "Vista-ready" is synonomous with Direct x 10 capable, which is definitely not the case...

Full Vista support will require capability to decrypt HD-DVD movies, which most modern gpus are not capable of yet, as the decryption keys were not incorporated into the gpu at time of manufacture.

Many a $500-$1500 (dual 7800GTX512) purchaser of SLI/Crossfire rigs will be quite irrate....

Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Cards with full DX10 and Vista support will be realeased after Vista.

I bet nVidia will release theirs this summer. The two major graphics card companies aren't going to let Microsuck push them around by moving back the release date of Vista to a POST-CHRISTMAS launch date. I think DX10 cards will be marketed as the "hot new tech gifts" for the Holiday Season, heralded as full DX10 support. That's how they'd make the most money, at least.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The visual effects aren't that much (if at all) more complex than those in Mac OS X Tiger, which runs just fine on my Go5200FX. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Depends on drivers and actual efficiency of graphics subsystems.

Using Vista 32-bit build 5347 and a Geforce 6600 (Not top of range, but not POS either), I get stuttering graphics and slow window movements - even on MPEG-1 playback with 'old-skool' desktop theme (win2k-like)! The machine had a X2 3800+ and 1 Gb of Corsair RAM. Some others have much better rendering using Ati hardware, leading to the idea that maybe Ati's drivers are more accomplished.

Last time I had that bad a stutter, I was trying MPEG playback on a Cyrix P166+ (133MHz - P75-level FPU) with a Trio64 2Mb.

Now, I try SuSE 10.1 and Xgl+compiz on a GF 5200FX (THAT's a POS by today's standards) and it ran... flawlessly. Jelly windows, drop shadows, 3D desktops, window zoom, MPEG playback, real-time window transluscency.. The machine touted a Sempron 64 and 512 Mb of Corsair value, and it still pwned the Vista-installed machine: I could actually work with it.

While Ati may have the best Vista chips and drivers for now, Nvidia's are nothing to sneeze at - it's a matter of tightening drivers

Achelon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
According to rumour, the Nvidia G80 graphic cards (basically the new series, 8000) will be 100% compatible with DirectX 10.

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
i herd that Vista will work best with nvidia cards, is that true?

1st, where did you hear this?

2nd, if we are going to make up rumors, we should at least base them on something credible... maybe Microsft Recommending ATI Graphics Cards for Vista and Microsoft demoing Vista Beta 2 using Radeon 9500/9700 GPUs?

A better consipracy is that DX10 will be like DX9. ATI worked very closely with MS on DX9, and this time around MS is recommending ATI hardware/drivers and has collaberated on the Xbox 360 GPU.

As for DX10 GPUs... any DX10 GPU has to support every DX10 feature. We already know the R6xx is a DX10 GPU (and leverages the 360 GPU design), and everything indicates G80 is as well. Rumblings are that G80 will probably have discreet PS, but the new GS will be unified with the VS ALUs, but this is just rumors. Like all DX10 GPUs it will support SM4.0 and have a unified shading language.

Achelon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
As far as I know, there are no games so far that has managed to fully utilize SM3, so in a way SM4 for the G80 seems like a joke, wouldn't the G80 be outdated anyway when SM4 becomes fully utilized? Unless SM4 is only a minor upgrade to SM3, I wouldn't really know...

shadowjagans

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
well there is basically where i got the thought from;

http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_main.html

"To fully realize the benefits of Windows Vista, a dedicated GPU is required to help process the new user experience. NVIDIA delivers an unsurpassed graphics experience with its complete line-up of GPUs that are built for Windows Vista. Jump in and immerse yourself in this new experience. Computing will never be the same."