KB891711

Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
(KB891711) Web site
Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
(KB888113) Web site

I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...

KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

....After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
(OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
EndItAll2, & I no longer get...

"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."

....at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
ones I've ever seen.

IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
once being online does not allow IE to work again.

So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
unchecked.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:03:24 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    >(KB891711) Web site
    >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    >(KB888113) Web site
    >
    >I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
    >problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
    >
    >KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    >c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    >
    >...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
    >(OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
    >EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    >
    >"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    >
    >...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
    >resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
    >ones I've ever seen.
    >
    >IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
    >once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    >
    >So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
    >tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
    >unchecked.

    FWIW all works fine here (so far) with the 891711 update. Maybe you
    don't have enough Hidden + System files ;-). All seriousness aside, I
    wonder if it's something to do with dialup. I'm on DSL.

    --
    Luke

    I would uncheck in msconfig, then uninstall at A/R programs.
    Then do your cleanups-temps, tifs, etc.
    Then download and reinstall making sure no third party intervention.
    Some programs could interfere with the install. See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241234
    WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    SYMPTOMS
    When connecting to the Windows Update site you experience errors accessing
    the Product Catalog or you have download and installation failures for the
    items listed in the Product Catalog.
    ----------
    Then I would do as Gary suggested in another post to determine if it is the
    cause or conflict with some other application.( for some reason can't find
    the post)
    "Might also be a conflict with some *other* background app. I'd use
    MSCONFIG (in Safe Mode) to disable everything *but* the one update that
    has a background app attached, and see if that allows a startup in
    Normal Mode. If so, add apps back in until the error recurs"

    Now you know the how's of all of that so get busy and tell us if it is the
    update or something else. like maybe your antivirus. No problems for me.
    --
    mae

    "PCR" wrote:

    > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    > (KB891711) Web site
    > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    > (KB888113) Web site
    >
    > I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
    > problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
    >
    > KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    > c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    >
    > ....After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
    > (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
    > EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    >
    > "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    >
    > ....at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
    > resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
    > ones I've ever seen.
    >
    > IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
    > once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    >
    > So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
    > tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
    > unchecked.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >
    > YOU KNOW WHAT i CANT BELIEVE, that they actually put this thing on our start ups without explicitly saying they were. I download ms updates with full trust. suddenly I see a kb891711 and I think , oh woe is me, the sword of damoclese is hanging over my hard drive., then I find out its a microsoft update that failed to tell me that they were going to put a kb891711 in my startups.
    they should have called it uneedthis,itsudatefrom,ms

    No problem on mine PCR, however I agree it is strange to have KB891711
    in my STARTUP.

    Dan

    PCR wrote:
    > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    > (KB891711) Web site
    > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    > (KB888113) Web site
    >
    > I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
    > problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
    >
    > KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    > c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    >
    > ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
    > (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
    > EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    >
    > "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    >
    > ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
    > resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
    > ones I've ever seen.
    >
    > IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
    > once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    >
    > So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
    > tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
    > unchecked.

    Not seeing any problems here...so far.

    Bit unusual for a security update to be put into the Startup group
    though, isn't it?

    --
    Regards

    Nigel Stapley

    www.judgemental.plus.com

    <reply-to will bounce>

    Thanks for all these responses.

    Nigel... Right, I've never seen a critical put into the Startup Group
    before. I am glad it is working for most folk.

    Luke... DSL, hmm. Yea, I am dial-up with NetZero.

    mae... I've never had to do all that before. McAfee has never
    interfered, either. There was no error accessing Windows Update, (until
    afterwards). All went quick & well, with the little thing coming in in
    under a minute. EVEN IE works offline, getting sites from my TIFs. It's
    only after I connect to the NET with NetZero, I get that orderly BSOD
    every time I try to click an URL or IE. HOWEVER, I suppose I could try
    all of that, pending I don't see an MVP or even a rare MS personage pop
    in with some kind of admission of guilt & apology!

    Elizabeth... Your symptoms seem different. I suppose it still could be
    KB891711 doing it, & soon you will know. You won't need SpyBot to remove
    it, though. Just uncheck it in MSConfig, or uninstall it at "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs".

    Dapper... Glad it works for you. Yes, strange to see it there.

    harikrishna... Absolutely, it is weird for it to be in the Startup
    Group!

    WELL, I guess I'll go click...
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    ....to see whether it has any kind of warning.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    | (KB891711) Web site
    | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    | (KB888113) Web site
    |
    | I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
    | problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup
    Group...

    | KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    | c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    |
    | ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the
    NET.
    | (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
    | EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    |
    | "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    |
    | ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
    | resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
    | ones I've ever seen.
    |
    | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline
    after
    | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    |
    | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
    Startup
    | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with
    it
    | unchecked.
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net

    I tried something similar.

    IE work be working fine then suddenly freeze. I couldn't do a thing
    about it other than switch off the computer. It happened several
    times.

    scanning for viruses and spyware and finally determining that I had
    neither, I unchecked KB891711 in Spybot's list of my startup programs.
    If all goes well tomorrow without it, I can delete it within Spybot. I
    hope that works.

    Beth

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:03:24 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    >(KB891711) Web site
    >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    >(KB888113) Web site
    >
    >I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
    >problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
    >
    >KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    >c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    >
    >...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
    >(OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
    >EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    >
    >"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    >
    >...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
    >resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
    >ones I've ever seen.
    >
    >IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
    >once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    >
    >So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
    >tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
    >unchecked.

    If that's the problem, then why has Windows Update been working
    successfully all these years until now? What's more insecure?
    disabling this "update" or uninstalling my virus scanner so I can
    download a possible virus?

    Beth

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:04:18 -0600, "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com>
    wrote:

    >Some programs could interfere with the install. See:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241234
    >WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    >SYMPTOMS

    If you're going to uninstall a program, you do *not* want to disable it
    in MSCONFIG. Or rather, it's not as simple as that.

    What you want to do is disable it in MSCONFIG, restart, then re-enable
    it but *don't* restart. Then perform the uninstall. Otherwise, if the
    item is disabled when uninstalling, the entry won't be removed by the
    uninstall, and you either have to leave it permanently disabled in
    MSCONFIG or you get an error at startup--"Can't find blahblah.exe..."

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    In news:upVRIcpJFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    mae <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> had this to say:

    > I would uncheck in msconfig, then uninstall at A/R programs.

    There is still a lot unknown about this. Actually, given the Microsoft pages
    and my own lack of attention I was first afraid this could be malware as
    I've not once seen an update run as an executable in the task manager.
    Never...

    This is in addition to the information Mae gave... I would certainly follow
    their steps to see if this helps because some people have problems while
    other people do not. I'm hoping, also, that Noel will notice these threads.
    He's good with 9x issues, better than I can hope to be.

    There's another solution besides MSCONFIG, that is this:

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    The full install will put a handy icon in your task bar that's called
    Startup, from there you can more easily alter the applications and, if need
    be, restore disabled items. I'd give that a try, see what needs to run, if
    you happen to find a common running application that's messing up the PCs
    then it's a good thing if you post your response.

    At this point I know of no known answer for this problem and nobody else
    seems to either. If you go the Microsoft site (or call support it seems)
    you'll find that they don't know that you can even install this on 98/ME it
    seems. They are friendly though. :)

    The only way it's installed is via the Windows Update site. You can't
    download it otherwise. I've tried... *chuckles*

    I'm not able to recommend uninstalling it. See the details of what it
    prevents and you'll see why:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx <-- Not a
    risk you want to take...

    I'm also not sure what to give for advice other than what Mae has already
    said. Clean your sytem and start there, if there's still an issue post back
    and we can continue to work on it from there I suppose. I've a 98 system
    ready to go and ready to test this, I am just waiting for more info before I
    start the download and install it. As confirmation, yes, 'tis listed in the
    updates but ONLY if I automatically update on a 98 system or an ME system.

    Galen

    In news:%233IGixpJFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> had this to say:

    > No problem on mine PCR, however I agree it is strange to have KB891711
    > in my STARTUP.
    >
    > Dan

    Dan,

    I'm sorry to bug you but if it's working well on your system (and still
    before it's installed on my test machine) could you do me a favor? You don't
    have to but I'm a bit curious...

    It's runing as a running process. Could you consider downloading this:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    From there you should be able to see how much RAM it's eating and the number
    of threads that it's using for instance. Could you give me/us the
    information that you get from that application? It won't harm your OS, it's
    small, and I hope that you'll be able to find it useful for more than this
    test :)

    Galen

    > If you're going to uninstall a program, you do *not* want to disable it
    > in MSCONFIG. Or rather, it's not as simple as that.
    >
    > What you want to do is disable it in MSCONFIG, restart, then re-enable
    > it but *don't* restart. Then perform the uninstall. Otherwise, if the
    > item is disabled when uninstalling, the entry won't be removed by the
    > uninstall, and you either have to leave it permanently disabled in
    > MSCONFIG or you get an error at startup--"Can't find blahblah.exe..."

    Yes that's true, good catch.

    The install is really really a simple one though, and just for notation here
    is exactly what the simple install does, and from this it's easy to make
    sure the uninstall is complete if ever need be:

    (for files - only 3 were added and no other file changes were made)

    C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\
    891711UN.INF

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\
    KB891711exe
    Q891711.dll

    (and for the registry the install only Added a few entires - it made no other changes)

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}]
    @="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
    "Locale"="EN"
    "Version"="4.10.0.2222"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
    "KB891711"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates\W98\UPD891711]
    @="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"=""
    "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\891711]
    @=""
    "DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"

    Rick

    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

    [snip]
    >I'm sorry to bug you but if it's working well on your system (and still
    >before it's installed on my test machine) could you do me a favor? You don't
    >have to but I'm a bit curious...
    >
    >It's runing as a running process. Could you consider downloading this:
    >
    >http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    >
    >From there you should be able to see how much RAM it's eating and the number
    >of threads that it's using for instance. Could you give me/us the
    >information that you get from that application? It won't harm your OS, it's
    >small, and I hope that you'll be able to find it useful for more than this
    >test :)

    Here's what Process Explorer shows for KB891711.EXE which seems to run fine on my machine:

    PROCESS CID CPU DESCRIPTION
    KB891711.EXE 0xFFFEB3CD Windows KB891711 component

    Name Description Company Name Version
    ADVAPI32.DLL Win32 ADVAPI32 core component Microsoft Corporation 4.80.0000.1675
    apitrap.dll Apitrap Symantec Corporation 4.05.0000.0026
    GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0000.1998
    KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0000.2222
    Msh_zwf.dll Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0851.0000
    qdcspi.dll Quarterdeck QDCSPI Library Quarterdeck Corporation 1.00.0000.0001
    USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0000.2222

    Type Name
    Mutex WHEEL_FEATURES_MUTEX
    Process KB891711.EXE(FFFEB3CD)

    --
    Luke

    Galen
    I downloaded and ran procexp, however I am going to have to do a
    little reading to figure out how the program works. From what I can
    ascertain, it is reporting using one thread and it does not report any
    Ram usage for KB891711. I attach a copy of the file for your
    guidance. In the meantime, let me know if you want to tell me which
    buttons to press to provide you with what else you are seeking
    regarding KB891711. I'm here for another hour or so and then gone for
    the weekend.

    Dan

    > In news:%233IGixpJFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> had this to say:

    > > No problem on mine PCR, however I agree it is strange to have
    KB891711
    > > in my STARTUP.
    > >
    > > Dan
    >
    > Dan,
    >
    > I'm sorry to bug you but if it's working well on your system (and
    still
    > before it's installed on my test machine) could you do me a favor?
    You don't
    > have to but I'm a bit curious...
    >
    > It's runing as a running process. Could you consider downloading
    this:

    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    >
    > From there you should be able to see how much RAM it's eating and
    the number
    > of threads that it's using for instance. Could you give me/us the
    > information that you get from that application? It won't harm your
    OS, it's
    > small, and I hope that you'll be able to find it useful for more
    than this
    > test :)
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Working fine here with ZA PRO software firewall as well as anti-spyware apps.
    and other stuff installed too.

    : ----------
    :
    : Now you know the how's of all of that so get busy and tell us if it is the
    : update or something else. like maybe your antivirus. No problems for me.
    : --
    : mae
    :
    : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    : | (KB891711) Web site
    : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    : | (KB888113) Web site
    : |
[...]
    : | --
    : | Thanks or Good Luck,
    : | There may be humor in this post, and,
    : | Naturally, you will not sue,
    : | should things get worse after this,
    : | PCR
    : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : |
    : |
    :

    It is not a virus. Beth, have you cleaned the baddie(s) that were on your
    machine. You loaded into safe mode, checked all the programs in add/remove
    for anything you did not recognize as well as doing a full anti-virus scan at
    the graphical safe mode level as well as doing antispyware scans with at a
    bare minimum Adaware SE (Latest Version) and Spybot -- Search and Destroy.
    In the future, block html code in e-mail (ideally read in plain text), be
    careful with where you browse to, use SpywareBlaster to prevent baddies from
    getting on your machine and finally consider using an alternative browser
    like Mozilla Firefox to help protect your machine because it is open source,
    does not have ActiveX technology which is vulnerable, uses higher
    encryption -- IE limited to only 128 bit encryption -- Firefox supports at
    least 256 bit encryption and who knows but the supported encryption could be
    even higher, etc.

    : wrote:
    :
    : >Some programs could interfere with the install. See:
    : >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241234
    : >WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
    : >SYMPTOMS
    :

    Nobody knows about this because my certified letter with a return receipt was
    addressed to Bill Gates and was for his eyes only and his top Windows
    Development Staff and not the low level employees at Microsoft.

    : In news:upVRIcpJFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    : mae <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> had this to say:
    :
    : My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    :
[...]

    Beth, what about DEFY thing that you posted about earlier? Also, what
    programs are you running so that we can check for a potential conflict with
    the patch on your system?

    "Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
    : I tried something similar.
    :
    : IE work be working fine then suddenly freeze. I couldn't do a thing
    : about it other than switch off the computer. It happened several
    : times.
    :
    : scanning for viruses and spyware and finally determining that I had
    : neither, I unchecked KB891711 in Spybot's list of my startup programs.
    : If all goes well tomorrow without it, I can delete it within Spybot. I
    : hope that works.
    :
    : Beth
    :
    : On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:03:24 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    :
    : >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    : >(KB891711) Web site
    : >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    : >(KB888113) Web site
    : >
[...]

    Dan W.'s machine is fine as well. :>

    "Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
    : No problem on mine PCR, however I agree it is strange to have KB891711
    : in my STARTUP.
    :
    : Dan
    :
    : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    : > (KB891711) Web site
    : > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    : > (KB888113) Web site
    : >
[...]
    : > --
    : > Thanks or Good Luck,
    : > There may be humor in this post, and,
    : > Naturally, you will not sue,
    : > should things get worse after this,
    : > PCR
    : > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I would be grateful that a hacker has not targetted your system and hacked
    into it and be a little more appreciative towards Microsoft if I were you but
    that is my opinion and do as thou wilt. True, it is not the best solution
    but it is better than having a vulnerable machine and true the user could
    have been warned but 98SE is in final critical support phaze which will end
    on 30 June 2006 barring a miracle that I hope will happen.

    "harikrishna" <harikrishna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    :
    :
    : "PCR" wrote:
    :
[...]
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR, Beth has one or many baddies on her machine. Imo, we need to be
    thankful for that Microsoft released anything at all and we all should be
    grateful that this critical vulnerability has been patched. BTW, PCR, I am
    dealing with a commercial KEYLOGGER on the XPPRO. side of my machine that I
    have been unable to remove even in safe mode. I am at wits end and need all
    the help I can get to fix it and so much for so called security of XPPRO in
    NTFS file system and like I have said many times and fully agree with Chris
    Quirke, MVP is why XPPRO is less than 98SE is that it does not have a
    Maintenance Operating System. Hopefully, Microsoft will soon fix this or
    Linux and associated competitors may become the next monopolies in the
    operating system market.

[...]
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
    it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
    it...

    H:\WU\Software\en\com_microsoft.windows98andwindows98secondedition\x86Wi
    n98>

    H:\WU\Software\en\com_microsoft.windows98andwindows98secondedition\x86Wi
    n98\com_
    microsoft.891711_98_SP1_WinSE_295>dir /s /a
    Directory of
    H:\WU\Software\en\com_microsoft.windows98andwindows98secondedition\
    x86Win98\com_microsoft.891711_98_SP1_WinSE_295
    WINDOW~1 EXE 152,536 03-10-05 12:27a Windows98-KB891711-ENU.EXE
    READMORE URL 99 03-10-05 12:27a ReadMore.url
    2 file(s) 152,635 bytes

    BUT, while I take all of those into H:\, I've never actually tried to
    install one from H:\. I install them from the site directly.

    --
> [...]
    Not a
    | risk you want to take...
    |
    | I'm also not sure what to give for advice other than what Mae has
    already
    | said. Clean your sytem and start there, if there's still an issue post
    back
    | and we can continue to work on it from there I suppose. I've a 98
    system
    | ready to go and ready to test this, I am just waiting for more info
    before I
    | start the download and install it. As confirmation, yes, 'tis listed
    in the
    | updates but ONLY if I automatically update on a 98 system or an ME
    system.

    | Galen
    | --
    | Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    | Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR wrote:
    > Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
    > it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install it...

    "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't have to
    install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.

    Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Bill you will come around eventually. <smile>

    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    : PCR wrote:
    : > Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
    : > it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
    it...
    :
    : "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't have to
    : install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
    :
    : Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.
    :
    :
    :
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Right, it was a good catch on Terhune's part. I'm looking inside the
    ..inf & do not see that it would remove anything from Runservices-, but
    only from...

    ;runservices
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices","KB891711",
    ,,

    ....at best, to my limited understanding of .inf-talk. Too bad! And, yes,
    my Registry & folder match yours precisely. So, whatever this is, it
    isn't that the little creature has installed improperly on my machine!

    Here's the whole thing, as it is small...

    ; 891711UN.INF
    ; This is the Setup information file to uninstall the Windows KB891711
    Update:

    [version]
    AdvancedINF = 2.5, %AdvPackWarn%
    signature=$CHICAGO$

    [DefaultInstall]
    DelFiles=WinUPD.DelFiles,WinUPD.DelINF
    delreg=WinUPD.Delreg
    DelDirs=WinUPD.deldir
    Cleanup=1
    SmartReboot=A

    [DestinationDirs]
    WinUPD.DelFiles = 11,KB891711
    WinUPD.DelINF = 17,QFE\%SPKey%

    [WinUPD.DelFiles]
    KB891711.EXE
    Q891711.DLL

    [WinUPD.DelINF]
    891711UN.INF

    [WinUPD.deldir]
    %11%\KB891711

    [WinUPD.Delreg]
    ;msinfo32
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%",,,

    ;runservices
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices","KB891711",
    ,,

    ;qfecheck
    HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%\,,,

    ;uninstall
    HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%UpdID%",,,

    [Strings]
    ;Non-localizable
    LANG= "EN"
    LocaleID= "UPD"
    Guid= "{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}"
    VERSION= "4.10.0.2222"
    UpdID= "891711"
    UpdateKey= "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates"
    SPKey= "W98"

    ;Localizable strings
    UpdName="Windows 98 KB891711 Patch"
    AdvPackWarn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
    SrcDiskName="KB891711 Patch"

    [SourceDisksNames]
    55=%SrcDiskName%,"",0

    [SourceDisksFiles]
    891711UN.INF=55

    --
    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > If you're going to uninstall a program, you do *not* want to disable
    it
    | > in MSCONFIG. Or rather, it's not as simple as that.
    | >
    | > What you want to do is disable it in MSCONFIG, restart, then
    re-enable
    | > it but *don't* restart. Then perform the uninstall. Otherwise, if
    the
    | > item is disabled when uninstalling, the entry won't be removed by
    the
    | > uninstall, and you either have to leave it permanently disabled in
    | > MSCONFIG or you get an error at startup--"Can't find
    blahblah.exe..."

    | Yes that's true, good catch.
    |
    | The install is really really a simple one though, and just for
    notation here
    | is exactly what the simple install does, and from this it's easy to
    make
    | sure the uninstall is complete if ever need be:
    |
    | (for files - only 3 were added and no other file changes were made)
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\
    | 891711UN.INF
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\
    | KB891711exe
    | Q891711.dll
    |
    | (and for the registry the install only Added a few entires - it made
    no other changes)

    | [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}]
    | @="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    | "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
    | "Locale"="EN"
    | "Version"="4.10.0.2222"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunService
    s]
    | "KB891711"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Upda
    tes\W98\UPD891711]
    | @="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    | "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"=""
    | "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    891711]
    | @=""
    | "DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
    | "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
    C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"

    | Rick
    |

    | > --
    | > Gary S. Terhune
    | > MS MVP Shell/User
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Go ahead & gloat, Colorado. This is your time & season, apparently...
    http://home.att.net/~ruthgill2/griefpain/in_time_and_season.htm

    WARNING: I've clicked it, it's cute, McAfee hasn't peeped, BUT... ???.
    =========

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
    | > it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
    it...

    | "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't
    have to
    | install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
    |
    | Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    bottom-posted:
    > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    > (KB891711) Web site
    > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    > (KB888113) Web site
    >
    > I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
    > problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
    >
    > KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    > c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    >
    > ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
    > (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
    > EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    >
    > "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    >
    > ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
    > resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
    > ones I've ever seen.
    >
    > IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
    > once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    >
    > So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
    > tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
    > unchecked.

    I've looked at the KB articles on MS associated with this. This patch fixes
    problems in cursor and font rendering. Based on that info, my guess is,
    that the "incompatibility" found in many systems is in the video driver. I
    can't use Firefox at all with this patch installed, for example. Seems like
    other folks have had other problems, but there is nothing in common.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    She said she scanned for them & came up empty. However, KB891711.exe has
    been disabled, & her next boot will tell. Go talk to Colorado about the
    blessings of MS criticals, & don't poison my thread with XP-talk!

    --
    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]
    | : Group!
    | :
    | : WELL, I guess I'll go click...
    | : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    | : ...to see whether it has any kind of warning.
    | :
    | :
    | : --
    | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : should things get worse after this,
    | : PCR
    | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    | : | (KB891711) Web site
    | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    | : |
    | : | I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing
    | : | problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup
    | : Group...
    | : |
    | : | KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    | : | c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    | : |
    | : | ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to
    the
    | : NET.
    | : | (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE
    using
    | : | EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    | : |
    | : | "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    | : |
    | : | ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows
    will
    | : | resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's,
    the
    | : | ones I've ever seen.
    | : |
    | : | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline
    | : after
    | : | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    | : |
    | : | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
    | : Startup
    | : | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well
    with
    | : it
    | : | unchecked.
    | : |
    | : |
    | : | --
    | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : | should things get worse after this,
    | : | PCR
    | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : |
    | : |
    | :
    | :

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Cute!

    PCR wrote:
    > Go ahead & gloat, Colorado. This is your time & season, apparently...

    Not just now.... :-)

    > http://home.att.net/~ruthgill2/griefpain/in_time_and_season.htm
    >
    > WARNING: I've clicked it, it's cute, McAfee hasn't peeped, BUT... ???.
    > =========
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> PCR wrote:
    >>> Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
    >>> it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
    it...

    >> "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't have
    >> install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
    >>
    >> Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I'm puzzled that when I do a search on microsoft.com for
    KB891711 in the windows98 section, it does not find this
    article. But searches list it for the various later
    incarnations of Windows. And of course Windows Update site
    delivers it to Win98SE users. It's working fine for me
    (Mozilla Firefox, ZA free, Spybot S&D, IE6, Norton 2003 )Pro.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

    Thanks it is nice to know that it works with Symantec (Norton 2003 Pro.)
    product.

    "Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    :
    : >
    : I'm puzzled that when I do a search on microsoft.com for
    : KB891711 in the windows98 section, it does not find this
    : article. But searches list it for the various later
    : incarnations of Windows. And of course Windows Update site
    : delivers it to Win98SE users. It's working fine for me
    : (Mozilla Firefox, ZA free, Spybot S&D, IE6, Norton 2003 )Pro.
    :
    : --
    : Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    : http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    : Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    : (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    : http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Nice Touch!

    : Go ahead & gloat, Colorado. This is your time & season, apparently...
    : http://home.att.net/~ruthgill2/griefpain/in_time_and_season.htm
    :
    : WARNING: I've clicked it, it's cute, McAfee hasn't peeped, BUT... ???.
    : =========
    :
    :
    : --
    : | PCR wrote:
    : | > Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
    : | > it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
    : it...
    : |
    : | "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't
    : have to
    : | install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
    : |
    : | Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.
    : |
    : |
    : |
    :
    :
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Beth is probably confused. She mentioned in another thread that she had a
    baddie but did not realize it was a problem. I googled it and it was a
    baddie. I don't remember what it was because I have been following up on
    lots of threads recently.

[...]
    : | :
[...]
    : | : --
    : | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    : | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    : | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    : | : should things get worse after this,
    : | : PCR
    : | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    : | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    : | : | (KB891711) Web site
    : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    : | : | (KB888113) Web site
    : | : |
[...]
    : | : | --
    : | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
    : | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
    : | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
    : | : | should things get worse after this,
    : | : | PCR
    : | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : | : |
    : | : |
    : | :
    : | :
    : |
    : |
    :
    :
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Are your video and sound drivers up to date? I use ATI Radeon 9200 and it is
    updated. :>

    "Moshup Trail" <moshuptrail@noreply.com> wrote in message
    : bottom-posted:
[...]
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    | [snip]
    | >I'm sorry to bug you but if it's working well on your system (and
    still
    | >before it's installed on my test machine) could you do me a favor?
    You don't
    | >have to but I'm a bit curious...
    | >
    | >It's runing as a running process. Could you consider downloading
    this:

    | >http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    | >
    | >From there you should be able to see how much RAM it's eating and the
    number
    | >of threads that it's using for instance. Could you give me/us the
    | >information that you get from that application? It won't harm your
    OS, it's
    | >small, and I hope that you'll be able to find it useful for more than
    this
    | >test :)
    |
    | Here's what Process Explorer shows for KB891711.EXE which seems to run
    fine on my machine:

    | PROCESS CID CPU DESCRIPTION
    | KB891711.EXE 0xFFFEB3CD Windows KB891711 component
    |
    | Name Description Company Name
    Version
    | ADVAPI32.DLL Win32 ADVAPI32 core component Microsoft Corporation
    4.80.0000.1675

    ADVAPI32.DLL v.4.80.1675

    | apitrap.dll Apitrap Symantec Corporation
    4.05.0000.0026

    apitrap.dll Don't have it.

    | GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft Corporation
    4.10.0000.1998

    GDI32.DLL v.4.10.1998

    | KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft Corporation
    4.10.0000.2222

    KERNEL32.DLL v.4.10.2222

    | Msh_zwf.dll Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft Corporation
    4.10.0851.0000

    Msh_zwf.dll Don't have it.

    | qdcspi.dll Quarterdeck QDCSPI Library Quarterdeck
    Corporation 1.00.0000.0001

    qdcspi.dll Don't have it.

    | USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft Corporation
    4.10.0000.2222

    USER32.DLL v.4.10.2227

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Cute, but it wasn't the one I was really looking for. Got it in the
    other thread, though. Just remember, Seasons will change!

    Dan: Thanks.

    --
    | Cute!
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Go ahead & gloat, Colorado. This is your time & season,
    apparently...

    | Not just now.... :-)
    |
    | > http://home.att.net/~ruthgill2/griefpain/in_time_and_season.htm
    | >
    | > WARNING: I've clicked it, it's cute, McAfee hasn't peeped, BUT...
    ???.
    | > =========
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | it...
    | >>
    | >> "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't
    have
    | >> install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
    | >>
    | >> Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.

  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I found it...
    | No patience, I know. I said 6that KB891711 wasn't giving me trouble,
    | but now I think it may be. Internet Explorer keeps locking up, and
    | then I can't even END TASK. The only way I could turn off my computer
    | was with the switch. After I restarted, I scanned it for viruses.
    | None. I scanned it with Adaware and Spybot. Spybot gave me this
    | message: "Errr during check! DyFuCA. InternetOptimizer
    | (Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 005FD6D2 in Modul " which doesn't look
    | like English to me
    |
    | Does anyone know what that means?

    Right, it doesn't sound good, but...
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=DyFuCA
    A quick look, anyway, at GG suggests it's just Spyware, not a virus. I
    guess SpyBot or AdAware will get it.

    I suppose it could exacerbate the KB891711.exe problem, if DyFuCA is
    trying to connect to the NET & open a browser at boot. Then, one may not
    be able to boot to Normal Mode.

    --
    | Beth is probably confused. She mentioned in another thread that she
    had a
    | baddie but did not realize it was a problem. I googled it and it was
    | baddie. I don't remember what it was because I have been following up
    on
    | lots of threads recently.

    | : She said she scanned for them & came up empty. However, KB891711.exe
    has
    | : been disabled, & her next boot will tell. Go talk to Colorado about
    the
    | : blessings of MS criticals, & don't poison my thread with XP-talk!
    | :
    | : --
    | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : should things get worse after this,
    | : PCR
    | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    | : news:%23TAHGs0JFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | : | PCR, Beth has one or many baddies on her machine. Imo, we need to
    be
    | : | thankful for that Microsoft released anything at all and we all
    should
    | : be
    | : | grateful that this critical vulnerability has been patched. BTW,
    PCR,
    | : I am
    | : | dealing with a commercial KEYLOGGER on the XPPRO. side of my
    machine
    | : that I
    | : | have been unable to remove even in safe mode. I am at wits end
    and
    | : need all
    | : | the help I can get to fix it and so much for so called security of
    | : XPPRO in
    | : | NTFS file system and like I have said many times and fully agree
    with
    | : Chris
    | : | Quirke, MVP is why XPPRO is less than 98SE is that it does not
    have a
    | : | Maintenance Operating System. Hopefully, Microsoft will soon fix
    this
    | : or
    | : | Linux and associated competitors may become the next monopolies in
    the
    | : | operating system market.
    | : |
> [...]
    | : | : Group!
    | : | :
    | : | : WELL, I guess I'll go click...
    | : | : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    | : | : ...to see whether it has any kind of warning.
    | : | :
    | : | :
    | : | : --
    | : | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : | : should things get worse after this,
    | : | : PCR
    | : | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | : | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
    Windows 98
    | : | : | (KB891711) Web site
    | : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
    | : | : |
    | : | : | I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is
    causing
    | : a
    | : | : | problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup
    | : | : Group...
    | : | : |
    | : | : | KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    | : | : | c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    | : | : |
    | : | : | ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected
    | : the
    | : | : NET.
    | : | : | (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE
    | : using
    | : | : | EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    | : | : |
    | : | : | "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    | : | : |
    | : | : | ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, &
    Windows
    | : will
    | : | : | resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for
    BSOD's,
    | : the
    | : | : | ones I've ever seen.
    | : | : |
    | : | : | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going
    offline
    | : | : after
    | : | : | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    | : | : |
    | : | : | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run,
    MSConfig,
    | : | : Startup
    | : | : | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is
    well
    | : with
    | : | : it
    | : | : | unchecked.
    | : | : |
    | : | : |
    | : | : | --
    | : | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : | : | should things get worse after this,
    | : | : | PCR
    | : | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : | : |
    | : | : |
    | : | :
    | : | :
    | : |
    | : |
    | :
    | :

  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Moshup Trail wrote:>
    > can't use Firefox at all with this patch installed, for example.
    Seems like
    > other folks have had other problems, but there is nothing in common.

    I am able to use Firefox if I open the Firefox application *before*
    connecting to the internet. I open Firefox and then invoke my dialer.
    If done in that order, I experience no crashes.
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Great, you may want to post the link to refresh Beth's memory so we can help
    her.

    : I found it...
[...]
    : | : | :
[...]
    : | : | : --
    : | : | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    : | : | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    : | : | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    : | : | : should things get worse after this,
    : | : | : PCR
    : | : | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : | : | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    : | : | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : | : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
    : Windows 98
    : | : | : | (KB891711) Web site
    : | : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
    : Windows 98
    : | : | : | (KB888113) Web site
    : | : | : |
[...]
    : | : | : | --
    : | : | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
    : | : | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
    : | : | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
    : | : | : | should things get worse after this,
    : | : | : | PCR
    : | : | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    : | : | : |
    : | : | : |
    : | : | :
    : | : | :
    : | : |
    : | : |
    : | :
    : | :
    : |
    : |
    :
    :
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:10:00 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    [snippage]

    >| apitrap.dll Apitrap Symantec Corporation
    >4.05.0000.0026
    >
    >apitrap.dll Don't have it.

    Because you don't have the Symantec Cleansweep installed.

    >| GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft Corporation
    >4.10.0000.1998
    >
    >GDI32.DLL v.4.10.1998

    ".0000." is what Process Explorer reports. When I right click
    GDI32.DLL, click "Properties" I get "4.10.1998".

    >| KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft Corporation
    >4.10.0000.2222
    >
    >KERNEL32.DLL v.4.10.2222

    Ditto answer to "GDI32.DLL" above.

    >| Msh_zwf.dll Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft Corporation
    >4.10.0851.0000
    >
    >Msh_zwf.dll Don't have it.

    Because you don't have the same mouse and drivers I do? I have an MS
    mouse and MS IntelliPoint 4.10.0851.

    >| qdcspi.dll Quarterdeck QDCSPI Library Quarterdeck
    >Corporation 1.00.0000.0001
    >
    >qdcspi.dll Don't have it.

    Ditto answer to "apitrap.dll" above.

    >| USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft Corporation
    >4.10.0000.2222
    >
    >USER32.DLL v.4.10.2227

    Ditto answer to "GDI32.DLL" above.

    HTH.

    --
    Luke
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    In news:%239l$owwJFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> had this to say:

    > Galen
    > I downloaded and ran procexp, however I am going to have to do a
    > little reading to figure out how the program works. From what I can
    > ascertain, it is reporting using one thread and it does not report any
    > Ram usage for KB891711. I attach a copy of the file for your
    > guidance. In the meantime, let me know if you want to tell me which
    > buttons to press to provide you with what else you are seeking
    > regarding KB891711. I'm here for another hour or so and then gone for
    > the weekend.
    >
    > Dan

    You're surely already gone now and I missed the post from you until now. A
    person below this (threaded view) gave me the results. The executable is
    using just a single thread which is a good thing. The RAM usage should be, I
    think, available if you right click the process and select properties???
    It's been a bit since I've used the application but no worries, it's
    probably not that high and likely not the cause. Basically what I'm doing is
    trying to find a common tie between the errors so that we can, I hope, come
    up with a rational fix for this.

    Galen

  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    In news:OPbbYs4JFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    PCR <pcrrcp@netzero.net> had this to say:

    > "Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]

    It doesn't seem to be using a large amount of resources. Basically I'd had
    you run the check to see if there was something like a memory leak and it
    was opening up multiple threads after a while. That, of all things, would
    have been my first guess as to what would be making this happen. It seems
    that this is not the case however. It's another thing ruled out I guess.
    Basically I'm looking for something that makes a common tie between all the
    GOOD running systems so that we can figure out what it is on the POORLY
    running systems and maybe give an answer that works for everyone. Can't even
    blame Norton for this one.

    Galen
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    In news:OW4cAO2JFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    PCR <pcrrcp@netzero.net> had this to say:

    > I'm thinking some users have more severe problems with KB891711.EXE,
    > if their machines go straight for the NET at boot.

    Except some are on dialup...

    We have enough minds working on this now so we'll hopefully get to the
    bottom of this eventually. Has anyone tried to re-install it with all their
    goodies disabled after uninstalling it?

    Galen
  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I learned that what I thought earlier meant that I had a virus (after
    Spybot scanned and gave me an error message in German and mentioned
    DiFuCA) didn't mean that. It meant that, while Spybot was scanning and
    checking for DiFuCA, I had too many programs running, so it failed to
    finish. I rescanned with Spybot, Adaware, and PCcillin and never found
    a thing.

    Other programs I have running in the background are Spybot teatimer,
    a spelling program (Quickspell), and PCcillin's antivirus program. I
    also usually have Outlook running and Dialup.

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:22:09 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >Beth, what about DEFY thing that you posted about earlier? Also, what
    >programs are you running so that we can check for a potential conflict with
    >the patch on your system?
    >
    >"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
    >: I tried something similar.
    >:
    >: IE work be working fine then suddenly freeze. I couldn't do a thing
    >: about it other than switch off the computer. It happened several
    >: times.
    >:
    >: scanning for viruses and spyware and finally determining that I had
    >: neither, I unchecked KB891711 in Spybot's list of my startup programs.
    >: If all goes well tomorrow without it, I can delete it within Spybot. I
    >: hope that works.
    >:
    >: Beth
    >:
    >: On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:03:24 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    >:
    >: >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    >: >(KB891711) Web site
    >: >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    >: >(KB888113) Web site
    >: >
    >: >I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
    >: >problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
    >: >
    >: >KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    >: >c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    >: >
    >: >...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
    >: >(OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
    >: >EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    >: >
    >: >"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    >: >
    >: >...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
    >: >resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
    >: >ones I've ever seen.
    >: >
    >: >IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
    >: >once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    >: >
    >: >So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
    >: >tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
    >: >unchecked.
    >:

  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    After lots of googling and reading other forums (C-NET and Spybot) and
    getting further explanations of the error message I got once when I
    scanned with Spybot, I now don't think I have a virus. It wasn't a
    coincidence that I got that error message on the same day I had other
    trouble with KB891711, though. I think that update was just screwing
    things up, that included.

    But PCcillin tech support did email me with the suggestion that I scan
    for spyware using a different tool. It can't hurt, so I do intend to
    do it.

    Beth

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:07:01 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

> [...]
    >: | : | ones I've ever seen.
    >: | : |
    >: | : | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline
    >: | : after
    >: | : | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    >: | : |
    >: | : | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
    >: | : Startup
    >: | : | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well
    >: with
    >: | : it
    >: | : | unchecked.
    >: | : |
    >: | : |
    >: | : | --
    >: | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
    >: | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
    >: | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
    >: | : | should things get worse after this,

  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I think it's under control. She's here, anyway, in this thread.

    --
    | Great, you may want to post the link to refresh Beth's memory so we
    can help
    | her.

    ....snip
  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I see. Still, that is good to know. When KB891711.exe is fixed, it won't
    be a hog. God, I just installed Process Explorer, and it's scary to look
    at Explorer.exe in there! Don't make me go back in!

    --
    | In news:OPbbYs4JFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    | PCR <pcrrcp@netzero.net> had this to say:
    |
    | My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    |
    | > "Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    | >> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    | >> wrote:
    | >>
    | >> [snip]
    |
    | It doesn't seem to be using a large amount of resources. Basically I'd
    had
    | you run the check to see if there was something like a memory leak and
    it
    | was opening up multiple threads after a while. That, of all things,
    would
    | have been my first guess as to what would be making this happen. It
    seems
    | that this is not the case however. It's another thing ruled out I
    guess.
    | Basically I'm looking for something that makes a common tie between
    all the
    | GOOD running systems so that we can figure out what it is on the
    POORLY
    | running systems and maybe give an answer that works for everyone.
    Can't even
    | blame Norton for this one.
    |
    | Galen
    | --
    | Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    | Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:10:00 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    | [snippage]
    |
    | >| apitrap.dll Apitrap Symantec
    Corporation
    | >4.05.0000.0026
    | >
    | >apitrap.dll Don't have it.
    |
    | Because you don't have the Symantec Cleansweep installed.

    Right.

    | >| GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft
    Corporation
    | >4.10.0000.1998
    | >
    | >GDI32.DLL v.4.10.1998
    |
    | ".0000." is what Process Explorer reports. When I right click
    | GDI32.DLL, click "Properties" I get "4.10.1998".

    Yea, now I've installed Process Explorer, & I see that.

    | >| KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft
    Corporation
    | >4.10.0000.2222
    | >
    | >KERNEL32.DLL v.4.10.2222
    |
    | Ditto answer to "GDI32.DLL" above.
    |
    | >| Msh_zwf.dll Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft
    Corporation
    | >4.10.0851.0000
    | >
    | >Msh_zwf.dll Don't have it.
    |
    | Because you don't have the same mouse and drivers I do? I have an MS
    | mouse and MS IntelliPoint 4.10.0851.

    I have a Logitech Wheelmouse1 (PS/2).

    | >| qdcspi.dll Quarterdeck QDCSPI Library Quarterdeck
    | >Corporation 1.00.0000.0001
    | >
    | >qdcspi.dll Don't have it.
    |
    | Ditto answer to "apitrap.dll" above.
    |
    | >| USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft
    Corporation
    | >4.10.0000.2222
    | >
    | >USER32.DLL v.4.10.2227
    |
    | Ditto answer to "GDI32.DLL" above.

    OK, but I still appear to have a higher version. Not sure what gave it
    to me. I am Win98SE.

    USER32.DLL
    Desc: Win32 USER32 core component
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    Size: 55,296 bytes
    Mod: Friday, April 21, 2000 08:33:18 AM
    Ver: 4.10.2227

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well, I guess that's possible. SpyBot should still be saying it,
    otherwise. However, yes, use another tool, & keep us informed. Does it
    show up in...?...

    http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip HijackThis
    http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm
    Hijack This Logs Tutorial-- MUST read!
    http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jrmc137/hjttutorial/tutorial.htm
    Another one worthy of serious study!

    DON'T delete anything using HijackThis until you are sure it's unwanted.

    --
> [...]
    | >: | dealing with a commercial KEYLOGGER on the XPPRO. side of my
    machine
    | >: that I
    | >: | have been unable to remove even in safe mode. I am at wits end
    and
    | >: need all
    | >: | the help I can get to fix it and so much for so called security
    of
    | >: XPPRO in
    | >: | NTFS file system and like I have said many times and fully agree
    with
    | >: Chris
    | >: | Quirke, MVP is why XPPRO is less than 98SE is that it does not
    have a
    | >: | Maintenance Operating System. Hopefully, Microsoft will soon fix
    this
    | >: or
    | >: | Linux and associated competitors may become the next monopolies
    | >: |
> [...]
    | >: | :
    | >: | : WELL, I guess I'll go click...
    | >: | :
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx
    | >: | : ...to see whether it has any kind of warning.
    | >: | :
    | >: | :
    | >: | : --
    | >: | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    | >: | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    | >: | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    | >: | : should things get worse after this,
    | >: | : PCR
    | >: | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | >: | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | >: | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | >: | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
    Windows 98
    | >: | : | (KB891711) Web site
    | >: | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : | I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is
    causing
    | >: a
    | >: | : | problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the
    Startup
    | >: | : Group...
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : | KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    | >: | : | c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : | ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected
    | >: the
    | >: | : NET.
    | >: | : | (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE
    | >: using
    | >: | : | EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : | "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : | ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, &
    Windows
    | >: will
    | >: | : | resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for
    BSOD's,
    | >: the
    | >: | : | ones I've ever seen.
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going
    offline
    | >: | : after
    | >: | : | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run,
    MSConfig,
    | >: | : Startup
    | >: | : | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is
    well
    | >: with
    | >: | : it
    | >: | : | unchecked.
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : |
    | >: | : | --
    | >: | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | >: | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | >: | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | >: | : | should things get worse after this,
    | >: | : | PCR
    | >: | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | >: | :
    | >: | :
    | >: |
    | >: |
    | >:
    | >:

Internet Explorer Security Windows Product