KB891711

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b 8 Security
March 11, 2005 9:03:24 PM

Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
(KB891711) Web site
Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
(KB888113) Web site

I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...

KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

....After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
(OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
EndItAll2, & I no longer get...

"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."

....at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
ones I've ever seen.

IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
once being online does not allow IE to work again.

So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
unchecked.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

More about : kb891711

March 11, 2005 9:03:25 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:03:24 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
>(KB891711) Web site
>Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
>(KB888113) Web site
>
>I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
>problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
>
>KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
>c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>
>...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
>(OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
>EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
>
>"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
>
>...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
>resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
>ones I've ever seen.
>
>IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
>once being online does not allow IE to work again.
>
>So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
>tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
>unchecked.

FWIW all works fine here (so far) with the 891711 update. Maybe you
don't have enough Hidden + System files ;-). All seriousness aside, I
wonder if it's something to do with dialup. I'm on DSL.

--
Luke
Anonymous

I would uncheck in msconfig, then uninstall at A/R programs.
Then do your cleanups-temps, tifs, etc.
Then download and reinstall making sure no third party intervention.
Some programs could interfere with the install. See:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241234
WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
SYMPTOMS
When connecting to the Windows Update site you experience errors accessing
the Product Catalog or you have download and installation failures for the
items listed in the Product Catalog.
----------
Then I would do as Gary suggested in another post to determine if it is the
cause or conflict with some other application.( for some reason can't find
the post)
"Might also be a conflict with some *other* background app. I'd use
MSCONFIG (in Safe Mode) to disable everything *but* the one update that
has a background app attached, and see if that allows a startup in
Normal Mode. If so, add apps back in until the error recurs"

Now you know the how's of all of that so get busy and tell us if it is the
update or something else. like maybe your antivirus. No problems for me.
--
mae

| Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
| (KB891711) Web site
| Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
| (KB888113) Web site
|
| I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
| problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
|
| KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
| c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
|
| ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
| (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
| EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
|
| "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
|
| ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
| resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
| ones I've ever seen.
|
| IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
| once being online does not allow IE to work again.
|
| So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
| tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
| unchecked.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net

a b 8 Security
March 11, 2005 9:49:02 PM

"PCR" wrote:

> Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
> (KB891711) Web site
> Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
> (KB888113) Web site
>
> I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
> problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
>
> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
> c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>
> ....After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
> (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
> EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
>
> "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
>
> ....at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
> resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
> ones I've ever seen.
>
> IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
> once being online does not allow IE to work again.
>
> So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
> tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
> unchecked.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>
> YOU KNOW WHAT i CANT BELIEVE, that they actually put this thing on our start ups without explicitly saying they were. I download ms updates with full trust. suddenly I see a kb891711 and I think , oh woe is me, the sword of damoclese is hanging over my hard drive., then I find out its a microsoft update that failed to tell me that they were going to put a kb891711 in my startups.
they should have called it uneedthis,itsudatefrom,ms

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 11, 2005 10:41:33 PM

No problem on mine PCR, however I agree it is strange to have KB891711
in my STARTUP.

Dan

> Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
> (KB891711) Web site
> Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
> (KB888113) Web site
>
> I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
> problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup
Group...

> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
> c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>
> ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the
NET.
> (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
> EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
>
> "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
>
> ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
> resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
> ones I've ever seen.
>
> IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline
after
> once being online does not allow IE to work again.
>
> So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
Startup
> tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with
it
> unchecked.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 2:18:14 AM

PCR wrote:
> Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
> (KB891711) Web site
> Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
> (KB888113) Web site
>
> I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
> problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
>
> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
> c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>
> ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
> (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
> EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
>
> "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
>
> ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
> resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
> ones I've ever seen.
>
> IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
> once being online does not allow IE to work again.
>
> So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
> tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
> unchecked.

Not seeing any problems here...so far.

Bit unusual for a security update to be put into the Startup group
though, isn't it?

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 3:10:12 AM

Thanks for all these responses.

Nigel... Right, I've never seen a critical put into the Startup Group
before. I am glad it is working for most folk.

Luke... DSL, hmm. Yea, I am dial-up with NetZero.

mae... I've never had to do all that before. McAfee has never
interfered, either. There was no error accessing Windows Update, (until
afterwards). All went quick & well, with the little thing coming in in
under a minute. EVEN IE works offline, getting sites from my TIFs. It's
only after I connect to the NET with NetZero, I get that orderly BSOD
every time I try to click an URL or IE. HOWEVER, I suppose I could try
all of that, pending I don't see an MVP or even a rare MS personage pop
in with some kind of admission of guilt & apology!

Elizabeth... Your symptoms seem different. I suppose it still could be
KB891711 doing it, & soon you will know. You won't need SpyBot to remove
it, though. Just uncheck it in MSConfig, or uninstall it at "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs".

Dapper... Glad it works for you. Yes, strange to see it there.

harikrishna... Absolutely, it is weird for it to be in the Startup
Group!

WELL, I guess I'll go click...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
....to see whether it has any kind of warning.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
| Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
| (KB891711) Web site
| Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
| (KB888113) Web site
|
| I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
| problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup
Group...

| KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
| c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
|
| ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the
NET.
| (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
| EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
|
| "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
|
| ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
| resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
| ones I've ever seen.
|
| IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline
after
| once being online does not allow IE to work again.
|
| So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
Startup
| tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with
it
| unchecked.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net

March 12, 2005 3:29:57 AM

I tried something similar.

IE work be working fine then suddenly freeze. I couldn't do a thing
about it other than switch off the computer. It happened several
times.

scanning for viruses and spyware and finally determining that I had
neither, I unchecked KB891711 in Spybot's list of my startup programs.
If all goes well tomorrow without it, I can delete it within Spybot. I
hope that works.

Beth

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:03:24 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
>(KB891711) Web site
>Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
>(KB888113) Web site
>
>I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
>problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
>
>KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
>c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>
>...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
>(OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
>EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
>
>"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
>
>...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
>resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
>ones I've ever seen.
>
>IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
>once being online does not allow IE to work again.
>
>So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
>tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
>unchecked.
March 12, 2005 3:45:09 AM

If that's the problem, then why has Windows Update been working
successfully all these years until now? What's more insecure?
disabling this "update" or uninstalling my virus scanner so I can
download a possible virus?

Beth

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:04:18 -0600, "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com>
wrote:

>Some programs could interfere with the install. See:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241234
>WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
>SYMPTOMS
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 6:18:13 AM

If you're going to uninstall a program, you do *not* want to disable it
in MSCONFIG. Or rather, it's not as simple as that.

What you want to do is disable it in MSCONFIG, restart, then re-enable
it but *don't* restart. Then perform the uninstall. Otherwise, if the
item is disabled when uninstalling, the entry won't be removed by the
uninstall, and you either have to leave it permanently disabled in
MSCONFIG or you get an error at startup--"Can't find blahblah.exe..."

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> |
> | KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
> | c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
> |
> | ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the
NET.
> | (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
> | EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
> |
> | "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
> |
> | ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
> | resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
> | ones I've ever seen.
> |
> | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline
after
> | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
> |
> | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
Startup
> | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with

March 12, 2005 7:37:56 AM

In news:upVRIcpJFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
mae <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> had this to say:

> I would uncheck in msconfig, then uninstall at A/R programs.

There is still a lot unknown about this. Actually, given the Microsoft pages
and my own lack of attention I was first afraid this could be malware as
I've not once seen an update run as an executable in the task manager.
Never...

This is in addition to the information Mae gave... I would certainly follow
their steps to see if this helps because some people have problems while
other people do not. I'm hoping, also, that Noel will notice these threads.
He's good with 9x issues, better than I can hope to be.

There's another solution besides MSCONFIG, that is this:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

The full install will put a handy icon in your task bar that's called
Startup, from there you can more easily alter the applications and, if need
be, restore disabled items. I'd give that a try, see what needs to run, if
you happen to find a common running application that's messing up the PCs
then it's a good thing if you post your response.

At this point I know of no known answer for this problem and nobody else
seems to either. If you go the Microsoft site (or call support it seems)
you'll find that they don't know that you can even install this on 98/ME it
seems. They are friendly though. :)

The only way it's installed is via the Windows Update site. You can't
download it otherwise. I've tried... *chuckles*

I'm not able to recommend uninstalling it. See the details of what it
prevents and you'll see why:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05... <-- Not a
risk you want to take...

I'm also not sure what to give for advice other than what Mae has already
said. Clean your sytem and start there, if there's still an issue post back
and we can continue to work on it from there I suppose. I've a 98 system
ready to go and ready to test this, I am just waiting for more info before I
start the download and install it. As confirmation, yes, 'tis listed in the
updates but ONLY if I automatically update on a 98 system or an ME system.

Galen
March 12, 2005 7:42:33 AM

In news:%233IGixpJFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> had this to say:

> No problem on mine PCR, however I agree it is strange to have KB891711
> in my STARTUP.
>
> Dan

Dan,

I'm sorry to bug you but if it's working well on your system (and still
before it's installed on my test machine) could you do me a favor? You don't
have to but I'm a bit curious...

It's runing as a running process. Could you consider downloading this:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...

From there you should be able to see how much RAM it's eating and the number
of threads that it's using for instance. Could you give me/us the
information that you get from that application? It won't harm your OS, it's
small, and I hope that you'll be able to find it useful for more than this
test :)

Galen
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 11:00:32 AM

> If you're going to uninstall a program, you do *not* want to disable it
> in MSCONFIG. Or rather, it's not as simple as that.
>
> What you want to do is disable it in MSCONFIG, restart, then re-enable
> it but *don't* restart. Then perform the uninstall. Otherwise, if the
> item is disabled when uninstalling, the entry won't be removed by the
> uninstall, and you either have to leave it permanently disabled in
> MSCONFIG or you get an error at startup--"Can't find blahblah.exe..."

Yes that's true, good catch.

The install is really really a simple one though, and just for notation here
is exactly what the simple install does, and from this it's easy to make
sure the uninstall is complete if ever need be:

(for files - only 3 were added and no other file changes were made)

C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\
891711UN.INF

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\
KB891711exe
Q891711.dll

(and for the registry the install only Added a few entires - it made no other changes)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}]
@="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Locale"="EN"
"Version"="4.10.0.2222"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
"KB891711"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates\W98\UPD891711]
@="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"=""
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\891711]
@=""
"DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"

Rick

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
March 12, 2005 11:23:11 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]
>I'm sorry to bug you but if it's working well on your system (and still
>before it's installed on my test machine) could you do me a favor? You don't
>have to but I'm a bit curious...
>
>It's runing as a running process. Could you consider downloading this:
>
>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...
>
>From there you should be able to see how much RAM it's eating and the number
>of threads that it's using for instance. Could you give me/us the
>information that you get from that application? It won't harm your OS, it's
>small, and I hope that you'll be able to find it useful for more than this
>test :)

Here's what Process Explorer shows for KB891711.EXE which seems to run fine on my machine:

PROCESS CID CPU DESCRIPTION
KB891711.EXE 0xFFFEB3CD Windows KB891711 component

Name Description Company Name Version
ADVAPI32.DLL Win32 ADVAPI32 core component Microsoft Corporation 4.80.0000.1675
apitrap.dll Apitrap Symantec Corporation 4.05.0000.0026
GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0000.1998
KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0000.2222
Msh_zwf.dll Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0851.0000
qdcspi.dll Quarterdeck QDCSPI Library Quarterdeck Corporation 1.00.0000.0001
USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft Corporation 4.10.0000.2222

Type Name
Mutex WHEEL_FEATURES_MUTEX
Process KB891711.EXE(FFFEB3CD)

--
Luke
Anonymous

Galen
I downloaded and ran procexp, however I am going to have to do a
little reading to figure out how the program works. From what I can
ascertain, it is reporting using one thread and it does not report any
Ram usage for KB891711. I attach a copy of the file for your
guidance. In the meantime, let me know if you want to tell me which
buttons to press to provide you with what else you are seeking
regarding KB891711. I'm here for another hour or so and then gone for
the weekend.

Dan

> In news:%233IGixpJFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> had this to say:

> > No problem on mine PCR, however I agree it is strange to have
KB891711
> > in my STARTUP.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Dan,
>
> I'm sorry to bug you but if it's working well on your system (and
still
> before it's installed on my test machine) could you do me a favor?
You don't
> have to but I'm a bit curious...
>
> It's runing as a running process. Could you consider downloading
this:

> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...
>
> From there you should be able to see how much RAM it's eating and
the number
> of threads that it's using for instance. Could you give me/us the
> information that you get from that application? It won't harm your
OS, it's
> small, and I hope that you'll be able to find it useful for more
than this
> test :)
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

March 12, 2005 5:12:48 PM

Working fine here with ZA PRO software firewall as well as anti-spyware apps.
and other stuff installed too.

: ----------
:
: Now you know the how's of all of that so get busy and tell us if it is the
: update or something else. like maybe your antivirus. No problems for me.
: --
: mae
:
: "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
: news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
: | (KB891711) Web site
: | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
: | (KB888113) Web site
: |
[...]
: | --
: | Thanks or Good Luck,
: | There may be humor in this post, and,
: | Naturally, you will not sue,
: | should things get worse after this,
: | PCR
: | pcrrcp@netzero.net
: |
: |
:
March 12, 2005 5:18:02 PM

It is not a virus. Beth, have you cleaned the baddie(s) that were on your
machine. You loaded into safe mode, checked all the programs in add/remove
for anything you did not recognize as well as doing a full anti-virus scan at
the graphical safe mode level as well as doing antispyware scans with at a
bare minimum Adaware SE (Latest Version) and Spybot -- Search and Destroy.
In the future, block html code in e-mail (ideally read in plain text), be
careful with where you browse to, use SpywareBlaster to prevent baddies from
getting on your machine and finally consider using an alternative browser
like Mozilla Firefox to help protect your machine because it is open source,
does not have ActiveX technology which is vulnerable, uses higher
encryption -- IE limited to only 128 bit encryption -- Firefox supports at
least 256 bit encryption and who knows but the supported encryption could be
even higher, etc.

: wrote:
:
: >Some programs could interfere with the install. See:
: >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241234
: >WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
: >SYMPTOMS
:
March 12, 2005 5:20:09 PM

Nobody knows about this because my certified letter with a return receipt was
addressed to Bill Gates and was for his eyes only and his top Windows
Development Staff and not the low level employees at Microsoft.

: In news:upVRIcpJFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
: mae <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> had this to say:
:
: My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
:
[...]
March 12, 2005 5:22:09 PM

Beth, what about DEFY thing that you posted about earlier? Also, what
programs are you running so that we can check for a potential conflict with
the patch on your system?

"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
: I tried something similar.
:
: IE work be working fine then suddenly freeze. I couldn't do a thing
: about it other than switch off the computer. It happened several
: times.
:
: scanning for viruses and spyware and finally determining that I had
: neither, I unchecked KB891711 in Spybot's list of my startup programs.
: If all goes well tomorrow without it, I can delete it within Spybot. I
: hope that works.
:
: Beth
:
: On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:03:24 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
:
: >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
: >(KB891711) Web site
: >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
: >(KB888113) Web site
: >
[...]
March 12, 2005 5:22:37 PM

Dan W.'s machine is fine as well. :>

"Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
: No problem on mine PCR, however I agree it is strange to have KB891711
: in my STARTUP.
:
: Dan
:
: "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
: news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
: > (KB891711) Web site
: > Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
: > (KB888113) Web site
: >
[...]
: > --
: > Thanks or Good Luck,
: > There may be humor in this post, and,
: > Naturally, you will not sue,
: > should things get worse after this,
: > PCR
: > pcrrcp@netzero.net
: >
: >
:
:
March 12, 2005 5:26:57 PM

I would be grateful that a hacker has not targetted your system and hacked
into it and be a little more appreciative towards Microsoft if I were you but
that is my opinion and do as thou wilt. True, it is not the best solution
but it is better than having a vulnerable machine and true the user could
have been warned but 98SE is in final critical support phaze which will end
on 30 June 2006 barring a miracle that I hope will happen.

"harikrishna" <harikrishna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:
:
: "PCR" wrote:
:
[...]
March 12, 2005 5:32:47 PM

PCR, Beth has one or many baddies on her machine. Imo, we need to be
thankful for that Microsoft released anything at all and we all should be
grateful that this critical vulnerability has been patched. BTW, PCR, I am
dealing with a commercial KEYLOGGER on the XPPRO. side of my machine that I
have been unable to remove even in safe mode. I am at wits end and need all
the help I can get to fix it and so much for so called security of XPPRO in
NTFS file system and like I have said many times and fully agree with Chris
Quirke, MVP is why XPPRO is less than 98SE is that it does not have a
Maintenance Operating System. Hopefully, Microsoft will soon fix this or
Linux and associated competitors may become the next monopolies in the
operating system market.

[...]
March 12, 2005 5:58:20 PM

Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
it...

H:\WU\Software\en\com_microsoft.windows98andwindows98secondedition\x86Wi
n98>

H:\WU\Software\en\com_microsoft.windows98andwindows98secondedition\x86Wi
n98\com_
microsoft.891711_98_SP1_WinSE_295>dir /s /a
Directory of
H:\WU\Software\en\com_microsoft.windows98andwindows98secondedition\
x86Win98\com_microsoft.891711_98_SP1_WinSE_295
WINDOW~1 EXE 152,536 03-10-05 12:27a Windows98-KB891711-ENU.EXE
READMORE URL 99 03-10-05 12:27a ReadMore.url
2 file(s) 152,635 bytes

BUT, while I take all of those into H:\, I've never actually tried to
install one from H:\. I install them from the site directly.

--
> [...]
Not a
| risk you want to take...
|
| I'm also not sure what to give for advice other than what Mae has
already
| said. Clean your sytem and start there, if there's still an issue post
back
| and we can continue to work on it from there I suppose. I've a 98
system
| ready to go and ready to test this, I am just waiting for more info
before I
| start the download and install it. As confirmation, yes, 'tis listed
in the
| updates but ONLY if I automatically update on a 98 system or an ME
system.

| Galen
| --
| Signature changed for a moment of silence.
| Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

March 12, 2005 6:25:45 PM

PCR wrote:
> Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
> it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install it...

"You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't have to
install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.

Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.
March 12, 2005 7:01:28 PM

Bill you will come around eventually. <smile>

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
: PCR wrote:
: > Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
: > it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
it...
:
: "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't have to
: install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
:
: Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.
:
:
:
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 7:30:17 PM

Right, it was a good catch on Terhune's part. I'm looking inside the
..inf & do not see that it would remove anything from Runservices-, but
only from...

;runservices
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices","KB891711",
,,

....at best, to my limited understanding of .inf-talk. Too bad! And, yes,
my Registry & folder match yours precisely. So, whatever this is, it
isn't that the little creature has installed improperly on my machine!

Here's the whole thing, as it is small...

; 891711UN.INF
; This is the Setup information file to uninstall the Windows KB891711
Update:

[version]
AdvancedINF = 2.5, %AdvPackWarn%
signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
DelFiles=WinUPD.DelFiles,WinUPD.DelINF
delreg=WinUPD.Delreg
DelDirs=WinUPD.deldir
Cleanup=1
SmartReboot=A

[DestinationDirs]
WinUPD.DelFiles = 11,KB891711
WinUPD.DelINF = 17,QFE\%SPKey%

[WinUPD.DelFiles]
KB891711.EXE
Q891711.DLL

[WinUPD.DelINF]
891711UN.INF

[WinUPD.deldir]
%11%\KB891711

[WinUPD.Delreg]
;msinfo32
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%",,,

;runservices
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices","KB891711",
,,

;qfecheck
HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%\,,,

;uninstall
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%UpdID%",,,

[Strings]
;Non-localizable
LANG= "EN"
LocaleID= "UPD"
Guid= "{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}"
VERSION= "4.10.0.2222"
UpdID= "891711"
UpdateKey= "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates"
SPKey= "W98"

;Localizable strings
UpdName="Windows 98 KB891711 Patch"
AdvPackWarn="You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
SrcDiskName="KB891711 Patch"

[SourceDisksNames]
55=%SrcDiskName%,"",0

[SourceDisksFiles]
891711UN.INF=55

--
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > If you're going to uninstall a program, you do *not* want to disable
it
| > in MSCONFIG. Or rather, it's not as simple as that.
| >
| > What you want to do is disable it in MSCONFIG, restart, then
re-enable
| > it but *don't* restart. Then perform the uninstall. Otherwise, if
the
| > item is disabled when uninstalling, the entry won't be removed by
the
| > uninstall, and you either have to leave it permanently disabled in
| > MSCONFIG or you get an error at startup--"Can't find
blahblah.exe..."

| Yes that's true, good catch.
|
| The install is really really a simple one though, and just for
notation here
| is exactly what the simple install does, and from this it's easy to
make
| sure the uninstall is complete if ever need be:
|
| (for files - only 3 were added and no other file changes were made)
|
| C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\
| 891711UN.INF
|
| C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\
| KB891711exe
| Q891711.dll
|
| (and for the registry the install only Added a few entires - it made
no other changes)

| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}]
| @="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
| "IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
| "Locale"="EN"
| "Version"="4.10.0.2222"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunService
s]
| "KB891711"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Upda
tes\W98\UPD891711]
| @="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
| "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"=""
| "C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
891711]
| @=""
| "DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
| "UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"

| Rick
|

| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS MVP Shell/User
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 9:20:01 PM

Go ahead & gloat, Colorado. This is your time & season, apparently...
http://home.att.net/~ruthgill2/griefpain/in_time_and_se...

WARNING: I've clicked it, it's cute, McAfee hasn't peeped, BUT... ???.
=========

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| PCR wrote:
| > Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
| > it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
it...

| "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't
have to
| install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
|
| Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 9:33:39 PM

bottom-posted:
> Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
> (KB891711) Web site
> Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
> (KB888113) Web site
>
> I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
> problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
>
> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
> c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>
> ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
> (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
> EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
>
> "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
>
> ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
> resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
> ones I've ever seen.
>
> IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
> once being online does not allow IE to work again.
>
> So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
> tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
> unchecked.

I've looked at the KB articles on MS associated with this. This patch fixes
problems in cursor and font rendering. Based on that info, my guess is,
that the "incompatibility" found in many systems is in the video driver. I
can't use Firefox at all with this patch installed, for example. Seems like
other folks have had other problems, but there is nothing in common.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 10:08:48 PM

She said she scanned for them & came up empty. However, KB891711.exe has
been disabled, & her next boot will tell. Go talk to Colorado about the
blessings of MS criticals, & don't poison my thread with XP-talk!

--
"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]
| : Group!
| :
| : WELL, I guess I'll go click...
| : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
| : ...to see whether it has any kind of warning.
| :
| :
| : --
| : Thanks or Good Luck,
| : There may be humor in this post, and,
| : Naturally, you will not sue,
| : should things get worse after this,
| : PCR
| : pcrrcp@netzero.net
| : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
| : | (KB891711) Web site
| : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
| : |
| : | I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing
| : | problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup
| : Group...
| : |
| : | KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
| : | c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
| : |
| : | ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to
the
| : NET.
| : | (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE
using
| : | EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
| : |
| : | "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
| : |
| : | ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows
will
| : | resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's,
the
| : | ones I've ever seen.
| : |
| : | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline
| : after
| : | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
| : |
| : | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
| : Startup
| : | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well
with
| : it
| : | unchecked.
| : |
| : |
| : | --
| : | Thanks or Good Luck,
| : | There may be humor in this post, and,
| : | Naturally, you will not sue,
| : | should things get worse after this,
| : | PCR
| : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| : |
| : |
| :
| :

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 10:31:15 PM

Cute!

PCR wrote:
> Go ahead & gloat, Colorado. This is your time & season, apparently...

Not just now.... :-)

> http://home.att.net/~ruthgill2/griefpain/in_time_and_se...
>
> WARNING: I've clicked it, it's cute, McAfee hasn't peeped, BUT... ???.
> =========
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> PCR wrote:
>>> Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
>>> it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
it...

>> "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't have
>> install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
>>
>> Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 12:22:51 AM

I'm puzzled that when I do a search on microsoft.com for
KB891711 in the windows98 section, it does not find this
article. But searches list it for the various later
incarnations of Windows. And of course Windows Update site
delivers it to Win98SE users. It's working fine for me
(Mozilla Firefox, ZA free, Spybot S&D, IE6, Norton 2003 )Pro.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

Thanks it is nice to know that it works with Symantec (Norton 2003 Pro.)
product.

"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
:
: >
: I'm puzzled that when I do a search on microsoft.com for
: KB891711 in the windows98 section, it does not find this
: article. But searches list it for the various later
: incarnations of Windows. And of course Windows Update site
: delivers it to Win98SE users. It's working fine for me
: (Mozilla Firefox, ZA free, Spybot S&D, IE6, Norton 2003 )Pro.
:
: --
: Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
: http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
: Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
: (commission goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
: http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?ribteq
March 13, 2005 1:04:18 AM

Nice Touch!

: Go ahead & gloat, Colorado. This is your time & season, apparently...
: http://home.att.net/~ruthgill2/griefpain/in_time_and_se...
:
: WARNING: I've clicked it, it's cute, McAfee hasn't peeped, BUT... ???.
: =========
:
:
: --
: | PCR wrote:
: | > Right, you can only get it at Windows Update, maybe. But, apparently
: | > it's in the catalog there. So, you don't have to immediately install
: it...
: |
: | "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't
: have to
: | install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
: |
: | Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.
: |
: |
: |
:
:
March 13, 2005 1:07:01 AM

Beth is probably confused. She mentioned in another thread that she had a
baddie but did not realize it was a problem. I googled it and it was a
baddie. I don't remember what it was because I have been following up on
lots of threads recently.

[...]
: | :
[...]
: | : --
: | : Thanks or Good Luck,
: | : There may be humor in this post, and,
: | : Naturally, you will not sue,
: | : should things get worse after this,
: | : PCR
: | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
: | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
: | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
: | : | (KB891711) Web site
: | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
: | : | (KB888113) Web site
: | : |
[...]
: | : | --
: | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
: | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
: | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
: | : | should things get worse after this,
: | : | PCR
: | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
: | : |
: | : |
: | :
: | :
: |
: |
:
:
March 13, 2005 1:08:03 AM

Are your video and sound drivers up to date? I use ATI Radeon 9200 and it is
updated. :>

"Moshup Trail" <moshuptrail@noreply.com> wrote in message
: bottom-posted:
[...]
March 13, 2005 3:10:00 AM

"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
wrote:

| [snip]
| >I'm sorry to bug you but if it's working well on your system (and
still
| >before it's installed on my test machine) could you do me a favor?
You don't
| >have to but I'm a bit curious...
| >
| >It's runing as a running process. Could you consider downloading
this:

| >http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...
| >
| >From there you should be able to see how much RAM it's eating and the
number
| >of threads that it's using for instance. Could you give me/us the
| >information that you get from that application? It won't harm your
OS, it's
| >small, and I hope that you'll be able to find it useful for more than
this
| >test :)
|
| Here's what Process Explorer shows for KB891711.EXE which seems to run
fine on my machine:

| PROCESS CID CPU DESCRIPTION
| KB891711.EXE 0xFFFEB3CD Windows KB891711 component
|
| Name Description Company Name
Version
| ADVAPI32.DLL Win32 ADVAPI32 core component Microsoft Corporation
4.80.0000.1675

ADVAPI32.DLL v.4.80.1675

| apitrap.dll Apitrap Symantec Corporation
4.05.0000.0026

apitrap.dll Don't have it.

| GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft Corporation
4.10.0000.1998

GDI32.DLL v.4.10.1998

| KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft Corporation
4.10.0000.2222

KERNEL32.DLL v.4.10.2222

| Msh_zwf.dll Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft Corporation
4.10.0851.0000

Msh_zwf.dll Don't have it.

| qdcspi.dll Quarterdeck QDCSPI Library Quarterdeck
Corporation 1.00.0000.0001

qdcspi.dll Don't have it.

| USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft Corporation
4.10.0000.2222

USER32.DLL v.4.10.2227

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 4:01:16 AM

Cute, but it wasn't the one I was really looking for. Got it in the
other thread, though. Just remember, Seasons will change!

Dan: Thanks.

--
| Cute!
|
| PCR wrote:
| > Go ahead & gloat, Colorado. This is your time & season,
apparently...

| Not just now.... :-)
|
| > http://home.att.net/~ruthgill2/griefpain/in_time_and_se...
| >
| > WARNING: I've clicked it, it's cute, McAfee hasn't peeped, BUT...
???.
| > =========
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| it...
| >>
| >> "You don't have to immediately install it"? LOL. You don't
have
| >> install it at all. Thanks, but no thanks.
| >>
| >> Well, ok, YOU might, but... LOL.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 4:16:56 AM

I found it...
| No patience, I know. I said 6that KB891711 wasn't giving me trouble,
| but now I think it may be. Internet Explorer keeps locking up, and
| then I can't even END TASK. The only way I could turn off my computer
| was with the switch. After I restarted, I scanned it for viruses.
| None. I scanned it with Adaware and Spybot. Spybot gave me this
| message: "Errr during check! DyFuCA. InternetOptimizer
| (Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 005FD6D2 in Modul " which doesn't look
| like English to me
|
| Does anyone know what that means?

Right, it doesn't sound good, but...
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=DyFuCA
A quick look, anyway, at GG suggests it's just Spyware, not a virus. I
guess SpyBot or AdAware will get it.

I suppose it could exacerbate the KB891711.exe problem, if DyFuCA is
trying to connect to the NET & open a browser at boot. Then, one may not
be able to boot to Normal Mode.

--
news:o iOq6p4JFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Beth is probably confused. She mentioned in another thread that she
had a
| baddie but did not realize it was a problem. I googled it and it was
| baddie. I don't remember what it was because I have been following up
on
| lots of threads recently.

| : She said she scanned for them & came up empty. However, KB891711.exe
has
| : been disabled, & her next boot will tell. Go talk to Colorado about
the
| : blessings of MS criticals, & don't poison my thread with XP-talk!
| :
| : --
| : Thanks or Good Luck,
| : There may be humor in this post, and,
| : Naturally, you will not sue,
| : should things get worse after this,
| : PCR
| : pcrrcp@netzero.net
| : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
| : news:%23TAHGs0JFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| : | PCR, Beth has one or many baddies on her machine. Imo, we need to
be
| : | thankful for that Microsoft released anything at all and we all
should
| : be
| : | grateful that this critical vulnerability has been patched. BTW,
PCR,
| : I am
| : | dealing with a commercial KEYLOGGER on the XPPRO. side of my
machine
| : that I
| : | have been unable to remove even in safe mode. I am at wits end
and
| : need all
| : | the help I can get to fix it and so much for so called security of
| : XPPRO in
| : | NTFS file system and like I have said many times and fully agree
with
| : Chris
| : | Quirke, MVP is why XPPRO is less than 98SE is that it does not
have a
| : | Maintenance Operating System. Hopefully, Microsoft will soon fix
this
| : or
| : | Linux and associated competitors may become the next monopolies in
the
| : | operating system market.
| : |
> [...]
| : | : Group!
| : | :
| : | : WELL, I guess I'll go click...
| : | : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
| : | : ...to see whether it has any kind of warning.
| : | :
| : | :
| : | : --
| : | : Thanks or Good Luck,
| : | : There may be humor in this post, and,
| : | : Naturally, you will not sue,
| : | : should things get worse after this,
| : | : PCR
| : | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
| : | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| : | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
Windows 98
| : | : | (KB891711) Web site
| : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
| : | : |
| : | : | I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is
causing
| : a
| : | : | problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup
| : | : Group...
| : | : |
| : | : | KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
| : | : | c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
| : | : |
| : | : | ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected
| : the
| : | : NET.
| : | : | (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE
| : using
| : | : | EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
| : | : |
| : | : | "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
| : | : |
| : | : | ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, &
Windows
| : will
| : | : | resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for
BSOD's,
| : the
| : | : | ones I've ever seen.
| : | : |
| : | : | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going
offline
| : | : after
| : | : | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
| : | : |
| : | : | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run,
MSConfig,
| : | : Startup
| : | : | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is
well
| : with
| : | : it
| : | : | unchecked.
| : | : |
| : | : |
| : | : | --
| : | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
| : | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
| : | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
| : | : | should things get worse after this,
| : | : | PCR
| : | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| : | : |
| : | : |
| : | :
| : | :
| : |
| : |
| :
| :

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 8:14:35 AM

Moshup Trail wrote:>
> can't use Firefox at all with this patch installed, for example.
Seems like
> other folks have had other problems, but there is nothing in common.

I am able to use Firefox if I open the Firefox application *before*
connecting to the internet. I open Firefox and then invoke my dialer.
If done in that order, I experience no crashes.
March 13, 2005 11:47:26 AM

Great, you may want to post the link to refresh Beth's memory so we can help
her.

: I found it...
[...]
: | : | :
[...]
: | : | : --
: | : | : Thanks or Good Luck,
: | : | : There may be humor in this post, and,
: | : | : Naturally, you will not sue,
: | : | : should things get worse after this,
: | : | : PCR
: | : | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
: | : | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
: | : | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: | : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
: Windows 98
: | : | : | (KB891711) Web site
: | : | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
: Windows 98
: | : | : | (KB888113) Web site
: | : | : |
[...]
: | : | : | --
: | : | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
: | : | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
: | : | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
: | : | : | should things get worse after this,
: | : | : | PCR
: | : | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
: | : | : |
: | : | : |
: | : | :
: | : | :
: | : |
: | : |
: | :
: | :
: |
: |
:
:
March 13, 2005 10:21:00 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:10:00 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
[snippage]

>| apitrap.dll Apitrap Symantec Corporation
>4.05.0000.0026
>
>apitrap.dll Don't have it.

Because you don't have the Symantec Cleansweep installed.

>| GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft Corporation
>4.10.0000.1998
>
>GDI32.DLL v.4.10.1998

".0000." is what Process Explorer reports. When I right click
GDI32.DLL, click "Properties" I get "4.10.1998".

>| KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft Corporation
>4.10.0000.2222
>
>KERNEL32.DLL v.4.10.2222

Ditto answer to "GDI32.DLL" above.

>| Msh_zwf.dll Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft Corporation
>4.10.0851.0000
>
>Msh_zwf.dll Don't have it.

Because you don't have the same mouse and drivers I do? I have an MS
mouse and MS IntelliPoint 4.10.0851.

>| qdcspi.dll Quarterdeck QDCSPI Library Quarterdeck
>Corporation 1.00.0000.0001
>
>qdcspi.dll Don't have it.

Ditto answer to "apitrap.dll" above.

>| USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft Corporation
>4.10.0000.2222
>
>USER32.DLL v.4.10.2227

Ditto answer to "GDI32.DLL" above.

HTH.

--
Luke
March 13, 2005 11:47:17 PM

In news:%239l$owwJFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> had this to say:

> Galen
> I downloaded and ran procexp, however I am going to have to do a
> little reading to figure out how the program works. From what I can
> ascertain, it is reporting using one thread and it does not report any
> Ram usage for KB891711. I attach a copy of the file for your
> guidance. In the meantime, let me know if you want to tell me which
> buttons to press to provide you with what else you are seeking
> regarding KB891711. I'm here for another hour or so and then gone for
> the weekend.
>
> Dan

You're surely already gone now and I missed the post from you until now. A
person below this (threaded view) gave me the results. The executable is
using just a single thread which is a good thing. The RAM usage should be, I
think, available if you right click the process and select properties???
It's been a bit since I've used the application but no worries, it's
probably not that high and likely not the cause. Basically what I'm doing is
trying to find a common tie between the errors so that we can, I hope, come
up with a rational fix for this.

Galen

March 13, 2005 11:48:24 PM

In news:o PbbYs4JFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
PCR <pcrrcp@netzero.net> had this to say:

> "Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

It doesn't seem to be using a large amount of resources. Basically I'd had
you run the check to see if there was something like a memory leak and it
was opening up multiple threads after a while. That, of all things, would
have been my first guess as to what would be making this happen. It seems
that this is not the case however. It's another thing ruled out I guess.
Basically I'm looking for something that makes a common tie between all the
GOOD running systems so that we can figure out what it is on the POORLY
running systems and maybe give an answer that works for everyone. Can't even
blame Norton for this one.

Galen
March 13, 2005 11:50:31 PM

In news:o W4cAO2JFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
PCR <pcrrcp@netzero.net> had this to say:

> I'm thinking some users have more severe problems with KB891711.EXE,
> if their machines go straight for the NET at boot.

Except some are on dialup...

We have enough minds working on this now so we'll hopefully get to the
bottom of this eventually. Has anyone tried to re-install it with all their
goodies disabled after uninstalling it?

Galen
March 14, 2005 2:37:18 AM

I learned that what I thought earlier meant that I had a virus (after
Spybot scanned and gave me an error message in German and mentioned
DiFuCA) didn't mean that. It meant that, while Spybot was scanning and
checking for DiFuCA, I had too many programs running, so it failed to
finish. I rescanned with Spybot, Adaware, and PCcillin and never found
a thing.

Other programs I have running in the background are Spybot teatimer,
a spelling program (Quickspell), and PCcillin's antivirus program. I
also usually have Outlook running and Dialup.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:22:09 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Beth, what about DEFY thing that you posted about earlier? Also, what
>programs are you running so that we can check for a potential conflict with
>the patch on your system?
>
>"Elizabeth" <bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> wrote in message
>: I tried something similar.
>:
>: IE work be working fine then suddenly freeze. I couldn't do a thing
>: about it other than switch off the computer. It happened several
>: times.
>:
>: scanning for viruses and spyware and finally determining that I had
>: neither, I unchecked KB891711 in Spybot's list of my startup programs.
>: If all goes well tomorrow without it, I can delete it within Spybot. I
>: hope that works.
>:
>: Beth
>:
>: On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:03:24 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
>:
>: >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
>: >(KB891711) Web site
>: >Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
>: >(KB888113) Web site
>: >
>: >I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is causing a
>: >problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the Startup Group...
>: >
>: >KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
>: >c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>: >
>: >...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected to the NET.
>: >(OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE using
>: >EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
>: >
>: >"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
>: >
>: >...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, & Windows will
>: >resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for BSOD's, the
>: >ones I've ever seen.
>: >
>: >IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline after
>: >once being online does not allow IE to work again.
>: >
>: >So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig, Startup
>: >tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well with it
>: >unchecked.
>:

March 14, 2005 3:02:15 AM

After lots of googling and reading other forums (C-NET and Spybot) and
getting further explanations of the error message I got once when I
scanned with Spybot, I now don't think I have a virus. It wasn't a
coincidence that I got that error message on the same day I had other
trouble with KB891711, though. I think that update was just screwing
things up, that included.

But PCcillin tech support did email me with the suggestion that I scan
for spyware using a different tool. It can't hurt, so I do intend to
do it.

Beth

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:07:01 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

> [...]
>: | : | ones I've ever seen.
>: | : |
>: | : | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going offline
>: | : after
>: | : | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
>: | : |
>: | : | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run, MSConfig,
>: | : Startup
>: | : | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is well
>: with
>: | : it
>: | : | unchecked.
>: | : |
>: | : |
>: | : | --
>: | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
>: | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
>: | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
>: | : | should things get worse after this,

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 4:36:06 AM

I think it's under control. She's here, anyway, in this thread.

--
| Great, you may want to post the link to refresh Beth's memory so we
can help
| her.

....snip
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 7:44:37 AM

I see. Still, that is good to know. When KB891711.exe is fixed, it won't
be a hog. God, I just installed Process Explorer, and it's scary to look
at Explorer.exe in there! Don't make me go back in!

--
news:o wXelhDKFHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| In news:o PbbYs4JFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
| PCR <pcrrcp@netzero.net> had this to say:
|
| My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
|
| > "Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| >> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:42:33 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
| >> wrote:
| >>
| >> [snip]
|
| It doesn't seem to be using a large amount of resources. Basically I'd
had
| you run the check to see if there was something like a memory leak and
it
| was opening up multiple threads after a while. That, of all things,
would
| have been my first guess as to what would be making this happen. It
seems
| that this is not the case however. It's another thing ruled out I
guess.
| Basically I'm looking for something that makes a common tie between
all the
| GOOD running systems so that we can figure out what it is on the
POORLY
| running systems and maybe give an answer that works for everyone.
Can't even
| blame Norton for this one.
|
| Galen
| --
| Signature changed for a moment of silence.
| Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 8:07:36 AM

"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:D ks9319gcve9dr3k4m0kgca8cr4sfqc5cg@4ax.com...
| On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:10:00 -0500, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|
| >"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
| [snippage]
|
| >| apitrap.dll Apitrap Symantec
Corporation
| >4.05.0000.0026
| >
| >apitrap.dll Don't have it.
|
| Because you don't have the Symantec Cleansweep installed.

Right.

| >| GDI32.DLL Win32 GDI core component Microsoft
Corporation
| >4.10.0000.1998
| >
| >GDI32.DLL v.4.10.1998
|
| ".0000." is what Process Explorer reports. When I right click
| GDI32.DLL, click "Properties" I get "4.10.1998".

Yea, now I've installed Process Explorer, & I see that.

| >| KERNEL32.DLL Win32 Kernel core component Microsoft
Corporation
| >4.10.0000.2222
| >
| >KERNEL32.DLL v.4.10.2222
|
| Ditto answer to "GDI32.DLL" above.
|
| >| Msh_zwf.dll Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft
Corporation
| >4.10.0851.0000
| >
| >Msh_zwf.dll Don't have it.
|
| Because you don't have the same mouse and drivers I do? I have an MS
| mouse and MS IntelliPoint 4.10.0851.

I have a Logitech Wheelmouse1 (PS/2).

| >| qdcspi.dll Quarterdeck QDCSPI Library Quarterdeck
| >Corporation 1.00.0000.0001
| >
| >qdcspi.dll Don't have it.
|
| Ditto answer to "apitrap.dll" above.
|
| >| USER32.DLL Win32 USER32 core component Microsoft
Corporation
| >4.10.0000.2222
| >
| >USER32.DLL v.4.10.2227
|
| Ditto answer to "GDI32.DLL" above.

OK, but I still appear to have a higher version. Not sure what gave it
to me. I am Win98SE.

USER32.DLL
Desc: Win32 USER32 core component
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Size: 55,296 bytes
Mod: Friday, April 21, 2000 08:33:18 AM
Ver: 4.10.2227

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 8:14:09 AM

Well, I guess that's possible. SpyBot should still be saying it,
otherwise. However, yes, use another tool, & keep us informed. Does it
show up in...?...

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip HijackThis
http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm
Hijack This Logs Tutorial-- MUST read!
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jrmc137/hjttutorial/tutorial....
Another one worthy of serious study!

DON'T delete anything using HijackThis until you are sure it's unwanted.

--
> [...]
| >: | dealing with a commercial KEYLOGGER on the XPPRO. side of my
machine
| >: that I
| >: | have been unable to remove even in safe mode. I am at wits end
and
| >: need all
| >: | the help I can get to fix it and so much for so called security
of
| >: XPPRO in
| >: | NTFS file system and like I have said many times and fully agree
with
| >: Chris
| >: | Quirke, MVP is why XPPRO is less than 98SE is that it does not
have a
| >: | Maintenance Operating System. Hopefully, Microsoft will soon fix
this
| >: or
| >: | Linux and associated competitors may become the next monopolies
| >: |
> [...]
| >: | :
| >: | : WELL, I guess I'll go click...
| >: | :
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05...
| >: | : ...to see whether it has any kind of warning.
| >: | :
| >: | :
| >: | : --
| >: | : Thanks or Good Luck,
| >: | : There may be humor in this post, and,
| >: | : Naturally, you will not sue,
| >: | : should things get worse after this,
| >: | : PCR
| >: | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
| >: | : "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| >: | : news:eB4$K5oJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| >: | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
Windows 98
| >: | : | (KB891711) Web site
| >: | : | Successful Thursday, March 10, 2005 Security Update for
| >: | : |
| >: | : | I see no problem with the second of those, but KB891711 is
causing
| >: a
| >: | : | problem on my machine. It places KB891711.EXE into the
Startup
| >: | : Group...
| >: | : |
| >: | : | KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
| >: | : | c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
| >: | : |
| >: | : | ...After that, I am unable to open IE, once I have connected
| >: the
| >: | : NET.
| >: | : | (OE & E do continue to work.) Now, I have closed KB891711.EXE
| >: using
| >: | : | EndItAll2, & I no longer get...
| >: | : |
| >: | : | "A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0000:0000FA0E...."
| >: | : |
| >: | : | ...at every attempt to open IE. The crash is orderly, &
Windows
| >: will
| >: | : | resume nicely by "click(ing) any key", which is rare for
BSOD's,
| >: the
| >: | : | ones I've ever seen.
| >: | : |
| >: | : | IE does work offline before I connect using NetZero. Going
offline
| >: | : after
| >: | : | once being online does not allow IE to work again.
| >: | : |
| >: | : | So, I've unchecked KB891711.EXE at "START button, Run,
MSConfig,
| >: | : Startup
| >: | : | tab", & wait patiently for a fix at Windows Update. All is
well
| >: with
| >: | : it
| >: | : | unchecked.
| >: | : |
| >: | : |
| >: | : | --
| >: | : | Thanks or Good Luck,
| >: | : | There may be humor in this post, and,
| >: | : | Naturally, you will not sue,
| >: | : | should things get worse after this,
| >: | : | PCR
| >: | : | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| >: | :
| >: | :