window logon

Just did a fresh installation of w98se and when boot up, it ask me for the
password, which I click 'x' at the top right corner to closed it. How can I
stop window asking me for password, which I never set during installation. TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about window logon

    Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and select Windows
    Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and ensure the "all
    user's" box is marked. If you have a password established, go to control
    panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password in the old box,
    leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have forgotten your
    password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is ron.pwl);
    however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the .pwl file.
    If you do not have a password established or have deleted the .pwl file,
    when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name only and hit
    OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak UI
    installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
    user."

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "mic" <mic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just did a fresh installation of w98se and when boot up, it ask me for the
    > password, which I click 'x' at the top right corner to closed it. How can
    > stop window asking me for password, which I never set during installation.
    > TIA

    How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

    "mic" <mic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just did a fresh installation of w98se and when boot up, it ask me for the
    > password, which I click 'x' at the top right corner to closed it. How can I
    > stop window asking me for password, which I never set during installation. TIA

    I always just give it a name and press Enter instead of a password.
    (Don't use Cancel)

    If you run into trouble, try here:
    Setting a blank password
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/tips_r_-_z.html

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, mic
    <mic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Just did a fresh installation of w98se and when boot up, it ask me for the
    >password, which I click 'x' at the top right corner to closed it. How can I
    >stop window asking me for password, which I never set during installation. TIA

Boot Microsoft Windows