window logon

mic

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

Just did a fresh installation of w98se and when boot up, it ask me for the
password, which I click 'x' at the top right corner to closed it. How can I
stop window asking me for password, which I never set during installation. TIA

Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and select Windows
Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and ensure the "all
user's" box is marked. If you have a password established, go to control
panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password in the old box,
leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have forgotten your
password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is ron.pwl);
however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the .pwl file.
If you do not have a password established or have deleted the .pwl file,
when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name only and hit
OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak UI
installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
user."

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"mic" <mic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just did a fresh installation of w98se and when boot up, it ask me for the
> password, which I click 'x' at the top right corner to closed it. How can
> stop window asking me for password, which I never set during installation.
> TIA

How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

"mic" <mic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just did a fresh installation of w98se and when boot up, it ask me for the
> password, which I click 'x' at the top right corner to closed it. How can I
> stop window asking me for password, which I never set during installation. TIA

I always just give it a name and press Enter instead of a password.
(Don't use Cancel)

If you run into trouble, try here:
Setting a blank password
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/tips_r_-_z.html

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, mic