Need a new ATX case

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I have a very old case and it looks like I will need to upgrade it in order to get my soundcard to fit in there :p

I have a fairly new power supply already so I am thinking of getting a case without a power supply in it. I would like one that is fairly silent, has potential for installing fans later and overclocking, and has a side-panel that I can open (does not have to be see-through).

Also, what are the pro's and con's of having a transparent panel in a case?

The cases I have looked at so far are:

Thermaltake Soprano Black with Window VB1000BWS

Antec Performance One P180

Antec Super Lanboy ATX Anodized Aluminium Side Window Mid Tower

Antec P160W EU/MT ATX Anodized Aluminium Side Window Mid Tower

Any thoughts?

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hi Bopper,

Here's my opinion on 2 of your cases, the Antec P180 and the Thermaltake Soprano Black. I've had the chance to install hardware into both cases so I've some knowledge of what they're like :)

1) The Antec P180
Pros: An outstanding case on all accounts. I have owned several Antec cases as well as other brands and this one beats them all. This case is HUGE with tons of room to work with. The removable hard drive.
chamber is a great idea. It makes it even easier to set up a clean RAID array setup. All of the 120mm fans are adjustable speed fans and are very quiet. Setup is easy and simple.

Cons: The case is a tad heavy. The power supply area is very tight.

2) The Thermaltake Soprano Black
Pros: This really is a awesome case. The fans are VERY quiet, and the glossy coat is very attractive. The east access to the drives in the front is a plua and the toolless HDD, PCI, and drives ... makes life a lot easier.

Cons: The bar going across the top of the case on the inside frustrated me during the hardware installation b/c i was trying to install the PSU around a Heat Sink, and I hade to take the MOBO out to get the PSU in. Also, the FireWire, and audio pin-connecters are all individual so you have to figure out where each individual pin goes.

3) Transparent Panels in a Computer Case
The advantages of a transparent panel in a case, in my opinion, are aesthetic in nature. Meaning, it looks cool (to some folks). Some folks like to insert a small blue light inside the PC to highlight, through the panel, the hardwired guts of the PC.

If you want to find out more about how to choose a computer case, then check out this article.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Newegg th eCoolermaster Centurion series, good looking cases good prices better quality than the Tt soprano as a better cost

edit: P180 warps btw so if it slong term wouldnt count on it

also you do not need 4 + fans if you are gonna overclock thats a lie, most AMD's can OC a few hundred Mhz's from 2 120mm fans and stock CPU cooler