Cherry icon mystery

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 11, 2005 11:26:49 PM

Cherry icon mystery
The icon for the text file are shown as cherries. However, what icon
file does the cherries come from? It will reset. When I reboot.

Greg R

More about : cherry icon mystery

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:33:51 PM

Update

Found out where the cherries came from.
In a folder called C:\Bearware\2XCHERRY\2xcherry.exe

Forgot about that program

Greg R
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:55:16 AM

If you want to change the icon for a file, on the menu bar in Explorer or
MyComputer click:
View > Folder Options > File Types tab

Scroll to the extension you wish to change the icon for and click:
Edit > Change Icon button

Select one on browse to one you wish to use and select it.
Click OK > Ok > Apply > Ok.

If you wish to change the icon for a shortcut, right click the shortcut,
click Properties > Change Icon button.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D mh431h7pglu3477pj1b0h193a3mneeuuu@4ax.com...
> Update
>
> Found out where the cherries came from.
> In a folder called C:\Bearware\2XCHERRY\2xcherry.exe
>
> Forgot about that program
>
> Greg R
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 12, 2005 7:28:14 AM

In news:D mh431h7pglu3477pj1b0h193a3mneeuuu@4ax.com,
Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> had this to say:

> Update
>
> Found out where the cherries came from.
> In a folder called C:\Bearware\2XCHERRY\2xcherry.exe
>
> Forgot about that program
>
> Greg R

Is this some sort of add-on for a file-sharing or P2P application? It could
very well be spyware or adware or the application itself that's changed your
settings. The other answer will give you the method to repair your icons and
this is not arguing with that answer. This is, intstead, another view.

You may, I can't confirm this with searching right now, have some adware or
spyware installed... Some malware at any rate... It's best that you consider
cleaning your system just to make sure.

Here's a couple of sites:

The home of Spybot-S&D!:
http://security.kolla.de/

Ad-Aware SE Personal - Software - Lavasoft:

That should get you started... Do your scans in safe mode by rebooting and
pressing the F8 key over and over during boot, select safe mode without
networking just to be safe if you have broadband.

Galen
March 12, 2005 11:51:39 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:28:14 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In news:D mh431h7pglu3477pj1b0h193a3mneeuuu@4ax.com,
>Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> had this to say:

>> Update
>>
>> Found out where the cherries came from.
>> In a folder called C:\Bearware\2XCHERRY\2xcherry.exe
>>
>> Forgot about that program
>>
>> Greg R
>
>Is this some sort of add-on for a file-sharing or P2P application? It could
>very well be spyware or adware or the application itself that's changed your
>settings. The other answer will give you the method to repair your icons and
>this is not arguing with that answer. This is, intstead, another view.
>
>You may, I can't confirm this with searching right now, have some adware or
>spyware installed... Some malware at any rate... It's best that you consider
>cleaning your system just to make sure.
>
>Here's a couple of sites:
>
>The home of Spybot-S&D!:
>http://security.kolla.de/
>
>Ad-Aware SE Personal - Software - Lavasoft:
>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
>That should get you started... Do your scans in safe mode by rebooting and
>pressing the F8 key over and over during boot, select safe mode without
>networking just to be safe if you have broadband.
>
>Galen

I think it had something to do with the printer I installed. Hp 3740
I think it messed up my icons. Not sure if hp is spyware. I do not
think they would do that. I have a firewall.

Greg R
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:30:18 PM

wrote:

>Is this some sort of add-on for a file-sharing or P2P application?
No that just a game folder. I don't play that game at all.

The problem went away after a reboot-I posted to soon.

Greg R
March 13, 2005 12:56:47 AM

Why not unistall the game fully in safe mode and if you are able then you can
remove the associated registry entries also.

: wrote:
:
: >Is this some sort of add-on for a file-sharing or P2P application?
: No that just a game folder. I don't play that game at all.
:
: The problem went away after a reboot-I posted to soon.
:
: Greg R
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:14:25 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:30:18 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:28:14 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>

>The problem went away after a reboot-I posted to soon.

Scrambled icons are a common runtime problem in Win9x, and are prolly
due to errors in ShellIconCache. I commonly see the wrong icons
mapped to various file types, e.g. all .jpg have Quake icons or
something crazy like that.

Only if it persists across runtimes (Windows sessions) would I fret.

>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!
>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
March 13, 2005 9:14:26 AM

Puzzling Chris because my icons have not suffered from corruption since my
format and reinstall of my dual-boot 98SE/XPPRO since January and I use my
computer a lot. The exception is WallWatcher.exe but I realized I had it in
a temp folder and that is why it kept disappearing to a default icon after I
did full cleaning in ZA PRO. Actually, Wallwatcher.exe while a fascinating
and useful utility and I could move it and get it to work fine does not seem
to have much bearing for me since I use ZA PRO. This software firewall seems
to be always able to tell me if someone has bypassed my LinkSys router and
got stopped by ZA PRO. I really like the dual hardware/software firewall
line of defense because a majority of attacks get stopped at the router
level. The attacks that have slipped through has been because the settings
and password were not strong enough on the router level. Thanks for posting
your information, Chris and can you enlighten me as to why so many users have
problems with ShellIconCache?

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:4df73118qfdp3pc1b36661krfmqmsm7nui@4ax.com...
!