Cherry icon mystery

The icon for the text file are shown as cherries. However, what icon
file does the cherries come from? It will reset. When I reboot.

Greg R
8 answers Last reply
More about cherry icon mystery

    Update

    Found out where the cherries came from.
    In a folder called C:\Bearware\2XCHERRY\2xcherry.exe

    Forgot about that program

    Greg R

    If you want to change the icon for a file, on the menu bar in Explorer or
    MyComputer click:
    View > Folder Options > File Types tab

    Scroll to the extension you wish to change the icon for and click:
    Edit > Change Icon button

    Select one on browse to one you wish to use and select it.
    Click OK > Ok > Apply > Ok.

    If you wish to change the icon for a shortcut, right click the shortcut,
    click Properties > Change Icon button.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    In news:dmh431h7pglu3477pj1b0h193a3mneeuuu@4ax.com,
    Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > Update
    >
    > Found out where the cherries came from.
    > In a folder called C:\Bearware\2XCHERRY\2xcherry.exe
    >
    > Forgot about that program
    >
    > Greg R

    Is this some sort of add-on for a file-sharing or P2P application? It could
    very well be spyware or adware or the application itself that's changed your
    settings. The other answer will give you the method to repair your icons and
    this is not arguing with that answer. This is, intstead, another view.

    You may, I can't confirm this with searching right now, have some adware or
    spyware installed... Some malware at any rate... It's best that you consider
    cleaning your system just to make sure.

    Here's a couple of sites:

    The home of Spybot-S&D!:
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Ad-Aware SE Personal - Software - Lavasoft:

    That should get you started... Do your scans in safe mode by rebooting and
    pressing the F8 key over and over during boot, select safe mode without
    networking just to be safe if you have broadband.

    Galen

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:28:14 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In news:dmh431h7pglu3477pj1b0h193a3mneeuuu@4ax.com,
    >Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> had this to say:

    >> Update
    >>
    >> Found out where the cherries came from.
    >> In a folder called C:\Bearware\2XCHERRY\2xcherry.exe
    >>
    >> Forgot about that program
    >>
    >> Greg R
    >
    >Is this some sort of add-on for a file-sharing or P2P application? It could
    >very well be spyware or adware or the application itself that's changed your
    >settings. The other answer will give you the method to repair your icons and
    >this is not arguing with that answer. This is, intstead, another view.
    >
    >You may, I can't confirm this with searching right now, have some adware or
    >spyware installed... Some malware at any rate... It's best that you consider
    >cleaning your system just to make sure.
    >
    >Here's a couple of sites:
    >
    >The home of Spybot-S&D!:
    >http://security.kolla.de/
    >
    >Ad-Aware SE Personal - Software - Lavasoft:
    >http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >
    >That should get you started... Do your scans in safe mode by rebooting and
    >pressing the F8 key over and over during boot, select safe mode without
    >networking just to be safe if you have broadband.
    >
    >Galen

    I think it had something to do with the printer I installed. Hp 3740
    I think it messed up my icons. Not sure if hp is spyware. I do not
    think they would do that. I have a firewall.

    Greg R

    wrote:

    >Is this some sort of add-on for a file-sharing or P2P application?
    No that just a game folder. I don't play that game at all.

    The problem went away after a reboot-I posted to soon.

    Greg R

    Why not unistall the game fully in safe mode and if you are able then you can
    remove the associated registry entries also.

    :

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:30:18 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
    >On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:28:14 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>

    >The problem went away after a reboot-I posted to soon.

    Scrambled icons are a common runtime problem in Win9x, and are prolly
    due to errors in ShellIconCache. I commonly see the wrong icons
    mapped to various file types, e.g. all .jpg have Quake icons or
    something crazy like that.

    Only if it persists across runtimes (Windows sessions) would I fret.

    >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
    ideal for experimentation!
    >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Puzzling Chris because my icons have not suffered from corruption since my
    format and reinstall of my dual-boot 98SE/XPPRO since January and I use my
    computer a lot. The exception is WallWatcher.exe but I realized I had it in
    a temp folder and that is why it kept disappearing to a default icon after I
    did full cleaning in ZA PRO. Actually, Wallwatcher.exe while a fascinating
    and useful utility and I could move it and get it to work fine does not seem
    to have much bearing for me since I use ZA PRO. This software firewall seems
    to be always able to tell me if someone has bypassed my LinkSys router and
    got stopped by ZA PRO. I really like the dual hardware/software firewall
    line of defense because a majority of attacks get stopped at the router
    level. The attacks that have slipped through has been because the settings
    and password were not strong enough on the router level. Thanks for posting
    your information, Chris and can you enlighten me as to why so many users have
    problems with ShellIconCache?

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:4df73118qfdp3pc1b36661krfmqmsm7nui@4ax.com...
    : Cats have 9 lives, which makes them