CD-RW drive not recognized as a recordable device

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 12, 2005 3:17:00 AM

Article 316529 is the fix is used for Windows 2000, but I cannot find one
for Windows 98. Any suggestions? Thanks
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:18:57 AM

According to the article, that fix is only for Windows XP. List of
platforms does not include Windows 2000. Windows XP is the *only*
Windows desktop OS that has built-in CD recording capabilities.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Article 316529 is the fix is used for Windows 2000, but I cannot find
one
> for Windows 98. Any suggestions? Thanks

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:09:51 AM

Win98 does not have any native ability to use a CD-RW as anything other than a
CD-ROM. In order to use it as a CD burner, you must install CD mastering software,
which should have been included with the drive.

Pl;ease supply some information. What drive is it, what software is installed for
CD burning, what error messages are you receiving, and when?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

"Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Article 316529 is the fix is used for Windows 2000, but I cannot find one
> for Windows 98. Any suggestions? Thanks

March 12, 2005 6:47:00 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:17:00 -0600, "Sunshine"
<sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Article 316529 is the fix is used for Windows 2000, but I cannot find one
>for Windows 98. Any suggestions? Thanks

Win98 does not have the native tools to write CD -- so this article is
not applicable to it. And you can't make Win98 recognize the drive as
the recordable one.

If you want to write CD-R/RW (or DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW) in Win98 -- you
have to install one of the programs (like Roxio EasyCD, or Nero Burning
Rom, or Burn4free etc.), that works with this drive as with the
recordable device.

Most likely one of such programs is on CD, that came with your recorder.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

BTW, Mikhail which CD burning program do you like and use for 98SE? Thanks
in advance for your reply. I really appreciate your help, time and effort in
this 98 general newsgroup.

news:p go5319aj6r7vc9hlc8auu0vopvlobr5lq@4ax.com...
:
: >Article 316529 is the fix is used for Windows 2000, but I cannot find one
: >for Windows 98. Any suggestions? Thanks
: >
:
: Win98 does not have the native tools to write CD -- so this article is
: not applicable to it. And you can't make Win98 recognize the drive as
: the recordable one.
:
: If you want to write CD-R/RW (or DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW) in Win98 -- you
: have to install one of the programs (like Roxio EasyCD, or Nero Burning
: Rom, or Burn4free etc.), that works with this drive as with the
: recordable device.
:
: Most likely one of such programs is on CD, that came with your recorder.
:
: --
: Mikhail Zhilin
: http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
: Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
: Please reply to the newsgroups only.
: ======
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:13:45 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:07:28 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>BTW, Mikhail which CD burning program do you like and use for 98SE? Thanks
>in advance for your reply. I really appreciate your help, time and effort in
>this 98 general newsgroup.

Dan,

As for me -- I prefer Nero. Both in Win98 and in WinXP. And the last
time use often (got a gift registration, based on my Total Commander
translation to Russian) "Complex CD/DVD Burner" plugin for Total
Commander; this shareware burner has and a stand-alone version, too.

But I work more in WinXP.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
Please reply to the newsgroups only.
======
>"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
>news:p go5319aj6r7vc9hlc8auu0vopvlobr5lq@4ax.com...
>: On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:17:00 -0600, "Sunshine"
>: <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:
>:
>: >Article 316529 is the fix is used for Windows 2000, but I cannot find one
>: >for Windows 98. Any suggestions? Thanks
>: >
>:
>: Win98 does not have the native tools to write CD -- so this article is
>: not applicable to it. And you can't make Win98 recognize the drive as
>: the recordable one.
>:
>: If you want to write CD-R/RW (or DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW) in Win98 -- you
>: have to install one of the programs (like Roxio EasyCD, or Nero Burning
>: Rom, or Burn4free etc.), that works with this drive as with the
>: recordable device.
>:
>: Most likely one of such programs is on CD, that came with your recorder.
>:
>: --
>: Mikhail Zhilin
>: http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
>: Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
>: Please reply to the newsgroups only.
>: ======

March 13, 2005 4:13:46 AM

XP PRO. on my side has been hit with a Commercial Keylogger that as of yet I
have been unable to remove. CounterSpy which is rated #1 in PCWORLD
discovered it and I remove it but it comes back when I reset my computer. I
have tried removing it in XPPRO safe mode -- no go -- tried scanning for
viruses with E-Trust Antivirus component of complete EZARMOR -- no go -- used
Spybot -- Search and Destroy -- nothing found -- used Adaware -- nothing
found -- used SpySweeper by Webroot (paid version) which is actually #2 in
ratings of PCWORLD and nothing found ---- Only CounterSpy has found this and
I am using the 15 day free trial of CounterSpy and so I wonder if CounterSpy
is putting up a false positive to scare me into buying the paid version. If
that was the case then that would be a huge strike against CounterSpy. I
have not yet gone into the registry to check and remove registry entries
manually because that can be dangerous and is really time-consuming. Also, I
think I may try the beta Antispyware from Microsoft for XP and 2000 to see if
I can remove it that way. Fortunately, it only hit D: drive with NTFS file
system on XPPRO side and has not bothered with my main primary 98SE Fat32
drive -- kinda funny how everyone wants to target what is seen as the best --
yet another reason for the maintenance operating system that Chris Quirke,
MVP wants Microsoft to develop. I am in complete argreement with Chris
Quirke, MVP on the maintenance operating system and maybe Chris can help
Microsoft develop it although I know MVP's usually never work for Microsoft
then perhaps Chris Quirke, MVP would be willing to step down from his MVP
position to help Microsoft develop this maintenance operating system for the
NT (New Technology) source code.

: >:
: >: >Article 316529 is the fix is used for Windows 2000, but I cannot find
one
: >: >for Windows 98. Any suggestions? Thanks
: >: >
: >:
: >: Most likely one of such programs is on CD, that came with your recorder.
: >:
: >: --
: >: Mikhail Zhilin
: >: http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
: >: Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
: >: Please reply to the newsgroups only.
: >
:
!