Java Problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 12, 2005 1:39:59 AM

Java programs don't run on my machine under Win98(SE). I get big boxes of
gray, etc with no video content and, if things happen at all, they happen
very slowly.

I tried uninstalling it (Java 2 Runtime Environment SEv1.4.2_06) and
re-installing it, with no improvement.

To ensure it wasn't the program(s) I was attempting to run, I went to
another machine we have that runs WinME. The programs look fine there.

I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong and would appreciate
getting pointed in the right direction. If this is the wrong newsgroup, my
apologies and again, I would appreciate a little re-direction.

Thanks,

Ken

More about : java problem

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 9:09:03 AM

Hello,

I have Windwos 98 SE and I have java and I know it works.
Go here http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp and it will
install it for you. Also if that doesn't work right click on internet
explorer and clikc on properties. Then click on the privacy tab. Make sure
the level is at meduim or under

Computergeek

re
"Ken" wrote:

> Java programs don't run on my machine under Win98(SE). I get big boxes of
> gray, etc with no video content and, if things happen at all, they happen
> very slowly.
>
> I tried uninstalling it (Java 2 Runtime Environment SEv1.4.2_06) and
> re-installing it, with no improvement.
>
> To ensure it wasn't the program(s) I was attempting to run, I went to
> another machine we have that runs WinME. The programs look fine there.
>
> I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong and would appreciate
> getting pointed in the right direction. If this is the wrong newsgroup, my
> apologies and again, I would appreciate a little re-direction.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

March 12, 2005 12:35:21 PM

My privacy setting was a notch above (medium high), so I backed it down to
medium. Also, I uninstalled the runtime I originally posted and installed
per your suggestion (for some reason, it's different).

I got a different result, but it is still not right. It freezes (just
Java...not my OS) and leaves big rectangles on the screen after it finally
closes which I can get rid of by doing a screen refresh. Similar to before,
but not exactly the same behavior.

Thanks; no cigar, but I appreciate the help.

Ken

"Computergeek" <Computergeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have Windwos 98 SE and I have java and I know it works.
> Go here http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp and it will
> install it for you. Also if that doesn't work right click on internet
> explorer and clikc on properties. Then click on the privacy tab. Make sure
> the level is at meduim or under
>
> Computergeek
>
> re
> "Ken" wrote:
>
> > Java programs don't run on my machine under Win98(SE). I get big boxes
of
> > gray, etc with no video content and, if things happen at all, they
happen
> > very slowly.
> >
> > I tried uninstalling it (Java 2 Runtime Environment SEv1.4.2_06) and
> > re-installing it, with no improvement.
> >
> > To ensure it wasn't the program(s) I was attempting to run, I went to
> > another machine we have that runs WinME. The programs look fine there.
> >
> > I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong and would appreciate
> > getting pointed in the right direction. If this is the wrong newsgroup,
my
> > apologies and again, I would appreciate a little re-direction.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ken

Related resources
March 12, 2005 5:05:21 PM

Why not use the superior, imo, MS JAVA 3810? (Support lasts until December
2007)

:
: I tried uninstalling it (Java 2 Runtime Environment SEv1.4.2_06) and
: re-installing it, with no improvement.
:
: To ensure it wasn't the program(s) I was attempting to run, I went to
: another machine we have that runs WinME. The programs look fine there.
:
: I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong and would appreciate
: getting pointed in the right direction. If this is the wrong newsgroup, my
: apologies and again, I would appreciate a little re-direction.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Ken
:
:
March 12, 2005 5:05:22 PM

I looked on the Microsoft web site and it directed me to Sun for the Java
runtime. That's what I am using now.

Thanks

Ken

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
news:o CLywc0JFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Why not use the superior, imo, MS JAVA 3810? (Support lasts until December
> 2007)
>
> "Ken" <none> wrote in message
news:o HlVw3sJFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> : Java programs don't run on my machine under Win98(SE). I get big boxes
of
> : gray, etc with no video content and, if things happen at all, they
happen
> : very slowly.
> :
> : I tried uninstalling it (Java 2 Runtime Environment SEv1.4.2_06) and
> : re-installing it, with no improvement.
> :
> : To ensure it wasn't the program(s) I was attempting to run, I went to
> : another machine we have that runs WinME. The programs look fine there.
> :
> : I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong and would appreciate
> : getting pointed in the right direction. If this is the wrong newsgroup,
my
> : apologies and again, I would appreciate a little re-direction.
> :
> : Thanks,
> :
> : Ken
> :
> :

March 12, 2005 6:50:35 PM

That is because of a messed up Justice Department decision that I will write
to complain about to the Justice Department when I have the time. It is not
next on my list but high up there. Imo, Microsoft develops JAVA better than
Sun with far less vulnerabilities so I feel that they should be compatible
but Microsoft should be able to compete again with JAVA despite what has been
done in the past.

"Ken" <none> wrote in message news:o Nh0Lo0JFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: I looked on the Microsoft web site and it directed me to Sun for the Java
: runtime. That's what I am using now.
:
: Thanks
:
: Ken
:
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:o CLywc0JFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > Why not use the superior, imo, MS JAVA 3810? (Support lasts until
December
: > 2007)
: >
: > "Ken" <none> wrote in message
: news:o HlVw3sJFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > : Java programs don't run on my machine under Win98(SE). I get big boxes
: of
: > : gray, etc with no video content and, if things happen at all, they
: happen
: > : very slowly.
: > :
[...]
March 12, 2005 8:19:24 PM

I respect your opinion, but remain firmly entrenched in Java hell.

news:o oZnjX1JFHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> That is because of a messed up Justice Department decision that I will
write
> to complain about to the Justice Department when I have the time. It is
not
> next on my list but high up there. Imo, Microsoft develops JAVA better
than
> Sun with far less vulnerabilities so I feel that they should be compatible
> but Microsoft should be able to compete again with JAVA despite what has
been
> done in the past.
>
> "Ken" <none> wrote in message
news:o Nh0Lo0JFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> : I looked on the Microsoft web site and it directed me to Sun for the
Java
> : runtime. That's what I am using now.
> :
> : Thanks
> :
> : Ken
> :
> : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> : news:o CLywc0JFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> : > Why not use the superior, imo, MS JAVA 3810? (Support lasts until
> December
> : > 2007)
> : >
> : > "Ken" <none> wrote in message
> : news:o HlVw3sJFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> : > : Java programs don't run on my machine under Win98(SE). I get big
boxes
> : of
> : > : gray, etc with no video content and, if things happen at all, they
> : happen
> : > : very slowly.
> : > :
> : > : I tried uninstalling it (Java 2 Runtime Environment SEv1.4.2_06) and
> : > : re-installing it, with no improvement.
> : > :
> : > : To ensure it wasn't the program(s) I was attempting to run, I went
> : > : another machine we have that runs WinME. The programs look fine
there.
> : > :
> : > : I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong and would
appreciate
> : > : getting pointed in the right direction. If this is the wrong
newsgroup,
> : my
> : > : apologies and again, I would appreciate a little re-direction.
> : > :
> : > : Thanks,
> : > :
> : > : Ken
> : > :
> : > :
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

March 13, 2005 12:55:30 AM

LOL!! We will see the course that history dictates for all of us and mine is
to change computers and technology in some small and probably most likely
insignificient way. I just have to swallow my pride and take each day as it
comes.

: > "Ken" <none> wrote in message
: news:o Nh0Lo0JFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: > : I looked on the Microsoft web site and it directed me to Sun for the
: Java
: > : runtime. That's what I am using now.
: > :
: > : Thanks
: > :
: > : Ken
: > :
: > : "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: > : news:o CLywc0JFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > : > Why not use the superior, imo, MS JAVA 3810? (Support lasts until
: > December
: > : > 2007)
: > : >
: > : > "Ken" <none> wrote in message
: > : news:o HlVw3sJFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > : > : Java programs don't run on my machine under Win98(SE). I get big
: boxes
: > : of
: > : > : gray, etc with no video content and, if things happen at all, they
: > : happen
: > : > : very slowly.
: > : > :
[...]
March 13, 2005 2:16:17 AM

What does it show when you go here? Do you see the applet successfully?
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Configuring Your Web Browser for Java:
http://www.javatester.org/configuring.html

What Version of Java Are You Running?:
http://www.javatester.org/version.html

Java Tester - Installing Java:
http://www.javatester.org/installing.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

"Ken" <none> wrote in message news:o HlVw3sJFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Java programs don't run on my machine under Win98(SE). I get big boxes of
> gray, etc with no video content and, if things happen at all, they happen
> very slowly.
>
> I tried uninstalling it (Java 2 Runtime Environment SEv1.4.2_06) and
> re-installing it, with no improvement.
>
> To ensure it wasn't the program(s) I was attempting to run, I went to
> another machine we have that runs WinME. The programs look fine there.
>
> I am probably doing something fundamentally wrong and would appreciate
> getting pointed in the right direction. If this is the wrong newsgroup, my
> apologies and again, I would appreciate a little re-direction.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

March 16, 2005 1:45:21 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding. Please see the comments in the
message..and thanks.

Ken

news:o RzrlN4JFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What does it show when you go here? Do you see the applet successfully?
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Yep. The applet dances around just fine.

> Configuring Your Web Browser for Java:
> http://www.javatester.org/configuring.html

In the section on the Sun page re: tools, internet options - then advanced,
Java (Sun)...the choice of "Use Java 2" does not appear. The only choice is
"Use JRE 1.5.0_01 for <applet>" This is checked.

> What Version of Java Are You Running?:
> http://www.javatester.org/version.html

Java Version: 1.5.0_01 from Sun MIcrosystems

> Java Tester - Installing Java:
> http://www.javatester.org/installing.html
> --

Not sure how to answer this one.