Is my current PSU good enough for pci-express?

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I am in the process of buying a new case but first want to find out if my current PSU is enough, or should I buy a new case with a PSU included. I opened up the computer and took a picture of the PSU with all the specs on it.

I uploaded the pic to the net here:

http://www.badongo.com/pic/155213

Just in case you cannot view it, some key things the PSU has written on it are:

Switching Power Supply
Model:LC-B500E

And it seems it has a +12V connection. It also states it has a total power output of 500W max.

Now the question is whether to get a new case without a new PSU for 80 euros, or a case with a PSU for 130.

Is this PSU compatible with pci-e and will it serve me well in the future?

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
i dont think it will work well, you will risk losing your whole rig. It's a no-named PSU, and I doubt it has a 24 pin connector for the motherboard, or the 4 pin PCI-E video card connectors either. I would highly recommend getting a good branded PSU.

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I agree, get the Antec, dump the generic one. At least with the Antec, 500watts is going to mean 500 watts (well, a lot closer at least!).

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
I always buy my case and psu seperately....that way I get what I want and the best of what I'm going after....the included PSU's can be scarey.....unless you are going with an Antec case...

For example, I purchased an Antec Plus1080SMG case a few years ago that came with a 430 PSU....The PSU was a high quality psu...it has been rock solid and stable for the last 4 years. Still going strong.

A no name case and a no name psu = disaster.

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
The guy at the store said my current PSU should be fine. I would rather keep it for now and then get a much better one seperately in the future when I need it. Thanks for the advice though!

Qwertyleo

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
I am in the process of buying a new case but first want to find out if my current PSU is enough, or should I buy a new case with a PSU included. I opened up the computer and took a picture of the PSU with all the specs on it.

I uploaded the pic to the net here:

http://www.badongo.com/pic/155213

Just in case you cannot view it, some key things the PSU has written on it are:

Switching Power Supply
Model:LC-B500E

And it seems it has a +12V connection. It also states it has a total power output of 500W max.

Now the question is whether to get a new case without a new PSU for 80 euros, or a case with a PSU for 130.

Is this PSU compatible with pci-e and will it serve me well in the future?
I highly suggest you get a psu with dual rails I highly suggest you avoid the first one witha high end gfx card ;)

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Buy a new one now, or later.
It IS inevitable you will buy a new one. You will want dual rails ,as mentioned above. Your psu has a 18 amps on its 12v rail. It might be a bit sketchy to run a powerful video card and everything else.
Good luck

Qwertyleo

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
500W
SmartPower 2.0
ATX12V V2.0
SP500

IIf I remmber right that has dual rails and both highly powered as well, thats teh 500watt psu thatc omes with teh server case...

why not just geta dif branded psu and a cheaper case? that thing is exstotionant

I am in the process of buying a new case but first want to find out if my current PSU is enough, or should I buy a new case with a PSU included.

That depends on what CPU and video card you have or will be getting; the both run off of the 12v rail. Your PSU is rated for 18 amps on the 12v rail, so your max wattage is 216. However it is always safer to be below that max.

Powerful Athlon 64 CPUs do not draw as much power as Pentium 4 CPUs. Powerful ATI cards draws more power than nVidia cards.

Look here for some actual readings:

CPU Power Consumption

GPU Power Consumption

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
When I get my new motherboard and graphics card I will also buy a new PSU with it, and maybe a better fan for the CPU along with the best adhesive you can get to reduce the temperature.