deleting components

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 12, 2005 9:25:02 PM

HELP
I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I just
got Norton.
Norton told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When I
try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps back
to the file I viewed before.
HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

More about : deleting components

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:40:43 PM

The way you *remove* a program and its components is to UNINSTALL it, NOT
delete it in Explorer!

At THIS point, you might be best off reinstalling it (to correct what you
have done), reboot, then *uninstall* McAfee (in Control Panel, Add/Remove),
then preferably reboot again, and finally install Norton (IF you insist on
having Norton), and finish that off with a final reboot.

(Norton is kind of a bad word around here, for reasons that have been
discussed in here at length - its VERY invasive).

DD wrote:
> HELP
> I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I
just
> got Norton.
> Norton told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
> So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
> However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When
> try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps
back
> to the file I viewed before.
> HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????
March 12, 2005 10:53:02 PM

I did uninstall McAfee from the Add/Remove in the Control Panel. However,
this uninstall must not have removed all the "components" - and I have been
trying to hunt them down and delete them. My computer won't even start up
without telling me that it is searching for something and then shows the
C:.... mcafee safe & sound??????????

"Bill in Co." wrote:

> The way you *remove* a program and its components is to UNINSTALL it, NOT
> delete it in Explorer!
>
> At THIS point, you might be best off reinstalling it (to correct what you
> have done), reboot, then *uninstall* McAfee (in Control Panel, Add/Remove),
> then preferably reboot again, and finally install Norton (IF you insist on
> having Norton), and finish that off with a final reboot.
>
> (Norton is kind of a bad word around here, for reasons that have been
> discussed in here at length - its VERY invasive).
>
> DD wrote:
> > HELP
> > I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I
> just
> > got Norton.
> > Norton told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
> > So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
> > However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When
> > try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps
> back
> > to the file I viewed before.
> > HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

Related resources
March 12, 2005 10:55:02 PM

I guess I missed the Norton discussion - can you give me the short version.

"Bill in Co." wrote:

> The way you *remove* a program and its components is to UNINSTALL it, NOT
> delete it in Explorer!
>
> At THIS point, you might be best off reinstalling it (to correct what you
> have done), reboot, then *uninstall* McAfee (in Control Panel, Add/Remove),
> then preferably reboot again, and finally install Norton (IF you insist on
> having Norton), and finish that off with a final reboot.
>
> (Norton is kind of a bad word around here, for reasons that have been
> discussed in here at length - its VERY invasive).
>
> DD wrote:
> > HELP
> > I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I
> just
> > got Norton.
> > Norton told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
> > So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
> > However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When
> > try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps
> back
> > to the file I viewed before.
> > HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:06:25 AM

The short version is that if you think you're having problems with
McAfee and your intention is to replace it with Norton, you ain't seen
nuthin' yet! Norton is likely to give you all the same problems you've
been having with McAfee, and more.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I guess I missed the Norton discussion - can you give me the short
version.

> "Bill in Co." wrote:
>
> > The way you *remove* a program and its components is to UNINSTALL
it, NOT
> > delete it in Explorer!
> >
> > At THIS point, you might be best off reinstalling it (to correct
what you
> > have done), reboot, then *uninstall* McAfee (in Control Panel,
Add/Remove),
> > then preferably reboot again, and finally install Norton (IF you
insist on
> > having Norton), and finish that off with a final reboot.
> >
> > (Norton is kind of a bad word around here, for reasons that have
been
> > discussed in here at length - its VERY invasive).
> >
> > DD wrote:
> > > HELP
> > > I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer
because I
> > just
> > > got Norton.
> > > Norton told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
> > > So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
> > > However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my
drives. When
> > > try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even
jumps
> > back
> > > to the file I viewed before.
> > > HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:11:52 AM

How to Uninstall Safe & Sound
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?docid=60820&Cat...

How to Remove Safe & Sound icon in My Computer
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?docid=409&Categ...

--

> HELP
> I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because
I just
> got Norton.
> Norton told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
> So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
> However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives.
When I
> try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps
back
> to the file I viewed before.
> HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????
March 13, 2005 1:45:51 AM

Gary, thanks again for the suggestion of EZARMOR as an alternative to Norton
and McAfee because it is working great for me. <smile>

: The short version is that if you think you're having problems with
: McAfee and your intention is to replace it with Norton, you ain't seen
: nuthin' yet! Norton is likely to give you all the same problems you've
: been having with McAfee, and more.
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:70010344-92DB-4237-80C1-5801B45028B8@microsoft.com...
: > I guess I missed the Norton discussion - can you give me the short
: version.
: >
: > "Bill in Co." wrote:
: >
: > > The way you *remove* a program and its components is to UNINSTALL
: it, NOT
: > > delete it in Explorer!
: > >
: > > DD wrote:
[...]
March 13, 2005 2:06:14 AM

Whenever you have an incomplete uninstall, a good solution is to reinstall
it, reboot, and then uninstall it, and reboot once again, to finish it up
properly. So if you can do this, I'd recommend it.

But I'd still recommend staying with McAfee over Norton, in which case I'd
reinstall McAfee, and leave it at that. Norton is just too invasive and
too bloaty these days.

DD wrote:
> I did uninstall McAfee from the Add/Remove in the Control Panel. However,
> this uninstall must not have removed all the "components" - and I have
been
> trying to hunt them down and delete them. My computer won't even start up
> without telling me that it is searching for something and then shows the
> C:.... mcafee safe & sound??????????
>
> "Bill in Co." wrote:
>
>> The way you *remove* a program and its components is to UNINSTALL it,
>> NOT delete it in Explorer!
>>
>> At THIS point, you might be best off reinstalling it (to correct what you
>> have done), reboot, then *uninstall* McAfee (in Control Panel,
Add/Remove),
>> then preferably reboot again, and finally install Norton (IF you insist
on
>> having Norton), and finish that off with a final reboot.
>>
>> (Norton is kind of a bad word around here, for reasons that have been
>> discussed in here at length - its VERY invasive).
>>
>> DD wrote:
>>> HELP
>>> I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I
>>> just got Norton.
>>> Norton told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
>>> So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
>>> However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives.
When I
>>> try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps
back
>>> to the file I viewed before.
>>> HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:06:24 AM

Exactly!

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> The short version is that if you think you're having problems with
> McAfee and your intention is to replace it with Norton, you ain't seen
> nuthin' yet! Norton is likely to give you all the same problems you've
> been having with McAfee, and more.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I guess I missed the Norton discussion - can you give me the short
version.

>> "Bill in Co." wrote:
>>
>>> The way you *remove* a program and its components is to UNINSTALL it,
NOT
>>> delete it in Explorer!
>>>
>>> At THIS point, you might be best off reinstalling it (to correct what
you
>>> have done), reboot, then *uninstall* McAfee (in Control Panel,
Add/Remove),
>>> then preferably reboot again, and finally install Norton (IF you insist
on
>>> having Norton), and finish that off with a final reboot.
>>>
>>> (Norton is kind of a bad word around here, for reasons that have been
>>> discussed in here at length - its VERY invasive).

When I
March 13, 2005 9:36:09 AM

Thanks for the support, Bill <smile> and I also agree that a user should
choose McAfee over Norton (Symantec) if a user must use either of these.

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
: Exactly!
:
: Gary S. Terhune wrote:
: > The short version is that if you think you're having problems with
: > McAfee and your intention is to replace it with Norton, you ain't seen
: > nuthin' yet! Norton is likely to give you all the same problems you've
: > been having with McAfee, and more.
: >
: > --
: > Gary S. Terhune
: > MS MVP Shell/User
: > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: >
: > "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:70010344-92DB-4237-80C1-5801B45028B8@microsoft.com...
: >> I guess I missed the Norton discussion - can you give me the short
: version.
: >>
: >> "Bill in Co." wrote:
: >>
: >>> The way you *remove* a program and its components is to UNINSTALL it,
: NOT
: >>> delete it in Explorer!
: >>>
: >>> DD wrote:
: >>>> HELP
: >>>> I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because
: >>>> just got Norton.
: >>>> Norton told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
: >>>> So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
: >>>> However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives.
: When I
: >>>> try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps
: back
: >>>> to the file I viewed before.
: >>>> HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????
:
:
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:31:43 PM

What do you mean "below all your drives"?
If you mean in My Computer, then:

Several apps have been known to leave a "folder" in My Computer after
uninstalling.
It is a NameSpace item.
Go to REGEDIT.EXE and the CLSID of the icon will be under the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\NameSpace\

Your strange item should be in this area and be obvious.
Delete the item when you are sure. It is a good idea to export the
....\NameSpace\ key to a temp.reg file first, in case of errors

Get in touch if you need detailed help.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
<DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>HELP
>I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I just
>got #.
># told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
>So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
>However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When I
>try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps back
>to the file I viewed before.
>HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????
March 13, 2005 6:31:44 PM

You are exactly correct - it is in My Computer - you are good!
How do I make a Temp File - bear with me, I am not as gifted as you with
computers.

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> What do you mean "below all your drives"?
> If you mean in My Computer, then:
>
> Several apps have been known to leave a "folder" in My Computer after
> uninstalling.
> It is a NameSpace item.
> Go to REGEDIT.EXE and the CLSID of the icon will be under the key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\NameSpace\
>
> Your strange item should be in this area and be obvious.
> Delete the item when you are sure. It is a good idea to export the
> ....\NameSpace\ key to a temp.reg file first, in case of errors
>
> Get in touch if you need detailed help.
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
> <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >HELP
> >I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I just
> >got #.
> ># told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
> >So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
> >However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When I
> >try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps back
> >to the file I viewed before.
> >HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

March 13, 2005 6:31:44 PM

Yes - I need detailed help - Thanks Again

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> What do you mean "below all your drives"?
> If you mean in My Computer, then:
>
> Several apps have been known to leave a "folder" in My Computer after
> uninstalling.
> It is a NameSpace item.
> Go to REGEDIT.EXE and the CLSID of the icon will be under the key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\NameSpace\
>
> Your strange item should be in this area and be obvious.
> Delete the item when you are sure. It is a good idea to export the
> ....\NameSpace\ key to a temp.reg file first, in case of errors
>
> Get in touch if you need detailed help.
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
> <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >HELP
> >I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I just
> >got #.
> ># told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
> >So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
> >However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When I
> >try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps back
> >to the file I viewed before.
> >HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

March 13, 2005 6:31:45 PM

Remember Alan Edwards is really smart and he is a MVP.

: "Alan Edwards" wrote:
:
[...]
March 14, 2005 8:54:09 AM

You make the temp file in Regedit. The menu has an option
Registry-Export. You highlight the key you want to export in the
left-hand pane and use that option. It is a good habit to get into to
always export a key before modifying or deleting as there is no "undo"
in Regedit.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
<DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>You are exactly correct - it is in My Computer - you are good!
>How do I make a Temp File - bear with me, I am not as gifted as you with
>computers.
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> What do you mean "below all your drives"?
>> If you mean in My Computer, then:
>>
>> Several apps have been known to leave a "folder" in My Computer after
>> uninstalling.
>> It is a NameSpace item.
>> Go to REGEDIT.EXE and the CLSID of the icon will be under the key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\NameSpace\
>>
>> Your strange item should be in this area and be obvious.
>> Delete the item when you are sure. It is a good idea to export the
>> ....\NameSpace\ key to a temp.reg file first, in case of errors
>>
>> Get in touch if you need detailed help.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
>> <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >HELP
>> >I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I just
>> >got #.
>> ># told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
>> >So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
>> >However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When I
>> >try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps back
>> >to the file I viewed before.
>> >HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:03:55 AM

The export should not be huge. Mine is only 9 lines of data.
You can open it in Notepad and copy&paste the contents here if you
like. It would be wise to not alter anything at this stage unless you
are a bit more certain of what you are doing.

If you have any trouble getting to the Export stage, then let me know
where you have trouble. I can take this slowly.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
<DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes - I need detailed help - Thanks Again
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> What do you mean "below all your drives"?
>> If you mean in My Computer, then:
>>
>> Several apps have been known to leave a "folder" in My Computer after
>> uninstalling.
>> It is a NameSpace item.
>> Go to REGEDIT.EXE and the CLSID of the icon will be under the key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\NameSpace\
>>
>> Your strange item should be in this area and be obvious.
>> Delete the item when you are sure. It is a good idea to export the
>> ....\NameSpace\ key to a temp.reg file first, in case of errors
>>
>> Get in touch if you need detailed help.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
>> <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >HELP
>> >I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I just
>> >got #.
>> ># told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
>> >So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
>> >However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When I
>> >try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps back
>> >to the file I viewed before.
>> >HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:17:05 AM

I see the second url Richard posted gives details on how to remove it.
It looks clear enough.
Use that, though I would only export the relevant key before deletion
and not select "All" but I always keep a full export anyway and
either method should do.

Let us know if the McAfee instructions are not clear to you.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
<DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes - I need detailed help - Thanks Again
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> What do you mean "below all your drives"?
>> If you mean in My Computer, then:
>>
>> Several apps have been known to leave a "folder" in My Computer after
>> uninstalling.
>> It is a NameSpace item.
>> Go to REGEDIT.EXE and the CLSID of the icon will be under the key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\NameSpace\
>>
>> Your strange item should be in this area and be obvious.
>> Delete the item when you are sure. It is a good idea to export the
>> ....\NameSpace\ key to a temp.reg file first, in case of errors
>>
>> Get in touch if you need detailed help.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
>> <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >HELP
>> >I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I just
>> >got #.
>> ># told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
>> >So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
>> >However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When I
>> >try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps back
>> >to the file I viewed before.
>> >HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:20:21 AM

Hmmmm. Richard changed his name to Gary while I wasn't looking.
Sorry about that. I am usually better than that at around 6 a.m. but I
haven't had coffee yet.
I will try again.

I see the second url Gary posted gives details on how to remove it.
It looks clear enough.
Use that, though I would only export the relevant key before deletion
and not select "All" but I always keep a full export anyway and
either method should do.

Let us know if the McAfee instructions are not clear to you.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
<DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes - I need detailed help - Thanks Again
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> What do you mean "below all your drives"?
>> If you mean in My Computer, then:
>>
>> Several apps have been known to leave a "folder" in My Computer after
>> uninstalling.
>> It is a NameSpace item.
>> Go to REGEDIT.EXE and the CLSID of the icon will be under the key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\NameSpace\
>>
>> Your strange item should be in this area and be obvious.
>> Delete the item when you are sure. It is a good idea to export the
>> ....\NameSpace\ key to a temp.reg file first, in case of errors
>>
>> Get in touch if you need detailed help.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "DD"
>> <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >HELP
>> >I am trying to delete McAfee Safe & Sound in Windows Explorer because I just
>> >got #.
>> ># told me I must first get rid of my old virus program.
>> >So, I deleted my old McAfee and I thought all the components.
>> >However, I found McAfee Safe & Sound by itself below all my drives. When I
>> >try to open, view, or delete this file, it does nothing and even jumps back
>> >to the file I viewed before.
>> >HOW CAN I DELETE THIS FILE?????????

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:50:54 AM

> Gary,
> Here is my sysedit. My computer keeps getting slower and slower and
locking
> up all the time

Those symptoms are indicative of a hopelessly fragmented swap file,
due to a lack of free space on your swap file partition.

If the free space is down around the 100 MB mark,
you have almost certainly found the cause of the problem.

Not saying it IS the cause of your problem, but it could be.

Check your hard drive. Make sure it is not almost full.
!