Spyware and LAN client-server maintenance

Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
(1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
right to alter "c:\".

We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
remaining 20 systems.

Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot of
problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
Explorer).

A couple of questions come to mind.

I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?

Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are there
good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some measurable
way?

I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
quite common.
16 answers Last reply
More about spyware client server maintenance
  1. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Not sure why you added the Win98 group to this, but here's my answer:

    1. While Ad-Aware and Spybot are excellent apps, I don't recommend using
    them except as after-the-fact scanners. Any of their options that
    include real-time protection *may* cause problems. And Spybot's
    "Immunize" and other features besides simple scanning are also known to
    be potentially problematic. Whether your systems encounter these
    problems or not is pretty much a toss of the dice. What keeps *my*
    system clean is SpywareBlaster, along with the MVPS HOSTS file. You
    should also add CWShredder to your arsenal of scanners. For more info
    and links, see the Security article in my sig.

    2. The amount of time required to restore an image is probably more,
    overall, than performing maintenance procedures. But the amount of
    "hands-on" time is much less. Restoring an image, you have a single
    operation to perform, and then you leave it until it's done. Running
    maintenance means running several operations that take anywhere from a
    few minutes to an hour or more, and while some things can be scripted,
    there are still a number of moments when operator input is required. And
    even then, you do not have a "known state". Assuming that you have no
    need to preserve anything that was added to the system after
    installation, the imaging method is the simplest and surest method of
    maintaining your lab machines.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have
    no
    > right to alter "c:\".
    >
    > We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    > remaining 20 systems.
    >
    > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
    > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
    > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot
    of
    > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > Explorer).
    >
    > A couple of questions come to mind.
    >
    > I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    > machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    > time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    >
    > Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    > maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are
    there
    > good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    > temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some
    measurable
    > way?
    >
    > I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    > because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
    > getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    > quite common.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    I forget the name of the software product, but it allows you to set the
    machine up, so any changes made to the base image are lost after a reboot.
    Therefore, if a machine gets infected with spyware, just reboot it, and it's
    gone.

    As long as the students save their work to a network drive, there shouldn't
    be any problems.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
    > right to alter "c:\".
    >
    > We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    > remaining 20 systems.
    >
    > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
    > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
    > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot of
    > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > Explorer).
    >
    > A couple of questions come to mind.
    >
    > I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    > machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    > time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    >
    > Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    > maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are there
    > good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    > temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some measurable
    > way?
    >
    > I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    > because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
    > getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    > quite common.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Not sure why you added the Win98 group to this, but here's my answer:

    Thanks for answering all the same. I wasn't sure where to ask this
    question.

    > 1. While Ad-Aware and Spybot are excellent apps, I don't recommend
    using
    > them except as after-the-fact scanners. Any of their options that
    > include real-time protection *may* cause problems. And Spybot's
    > "Immunize" and other features besides simple scanning are also known
    > be potentially problematic. Whether your systems encounter these
    > problems or not is pretty much a toss of the dice. What keeps *my*
    > system clean is SpywareBlaster, along with the MVPS HOSTS file. You
    > should also add CWShredder to your arsenal of scanners. For more info
    > and links, see the Security article in my sig.

    Thanks again.

    > 2. The amount of time required to restore an image is probably more,
    > overall, than performing maintenance procedures. But the amount of
    > "hands-on" time is much less. Restoring an image, you have a single
    > operation to perform, and then you leave it until it's done. Running
    > maintenance means running several operations that take anywhere from
    > few minutes to an hour or more, and while some things can be
    scripted,
    > there are still a number of moments when operator input is required.
    And
    > even then, you do not have a "known state". Assuming that you have no
    > need to preserve anything that was added to the system after
    > installation, the imaging method is the simplest and surest method of
    > maintaining your lab machines.
    >
    > --

    Excellent. We can run stuff overnight when everyone's gone home, so if
    that's the only objection, then I think I have my answer.

    Fran
  4. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Matt Gibson wrote:
    > I forget the name of the software product, but it allows you to set
    the
    > machine up, so any changes made to the base image are lost after a
    reboot.
    > Therefore, if a machine gets infected with spyware, just reboot it,
    and it's
    > gone.
    >
    > As long as the students save their work to a network drive, there
    shouldn't
    > be any problems.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC

    I seem to remember HP making something like this -- one person
    demonstrating by deleting system files and then rebooting.

    The cost of the licences might kill off this approach though.

    Fran
    > "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    > > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS
    2000
    > > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    > > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students
    have no
    > > right to alter "c:\".
    > >
    > > We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    > > remaining 20 systems.
    > >
    > > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by
    the
    > > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are
    spyware,
    > > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are
    running
    > > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a
    lot of
    > > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > > Explorer).
    > >
    > > A couple of questions come to mind.
    > >
    > > I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    > > machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    > > time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    > >
    > > Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    > > maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are
    there
    > > good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    > > temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some
    measurable
    > > way?
    > >
    > > I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    > > because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces
    and
    > > getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    > > quite common.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    FRAN wrote:
    > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS
    2000
    > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have
    no
    > right to alter "c:\".
    >
    > We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    > remaining 20 systems.
    >
    > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by
    the
    > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are
    running
    > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot
    of
    > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > Explorer)

    BHODemon can help you weed out unwanted "browser helper objects". Of
    course you could adopt the unpopular (among the students) policy to
    block all java and activeX activity with the firewall unless there is
    some very good reason that they must be available.

    > A couple of questions come to mind.
    >
    > I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    > machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    > time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    >
    > Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    > maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are
    there
    > good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    > temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some
    measurable
    > way?
    >
    > I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    > because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
    > getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    > quite common.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    >I forget the name of the software product, but it allows you to set the
    >machine up, so any changes made to the base image are lost after a reboot.
    >Therefore, if a machine gets infected with spyware, just reboot it, and
    >it's gone.
    >
    > As long as the students save their work to a network drive, there
    > shouldn't be any problems.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC

    I'm pretty sure my school has a program like this. It might be some sort of
    extention for Ghost.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Fran probably added win98 group because there are a lot of smart people in
    this group. <grin>

    :
[...]
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : news:1110698926.590463.302140@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    : > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    : > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    : > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    : > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have
    : no
    : > right to alter "c:\".
    : >
[...]
  8. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    From: "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com>

    | Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    | (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    | NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    | right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
    | right to alter "c:\".
    |
    | We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    | remaining 20 systems.
    |
    | Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
    | requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    | and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
    | Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot of
    | problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    | Explorer).
    |
    | A couple of questions come to mind.
    |
    | I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    | machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    | time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    |
    | Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    | maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are there
    | good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    | temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some measurable
    | way?
    |
    | I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    | because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
    | getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    | quite common.

    Fran:

    All those News Groups and to most, you have posted Off Topic.
    What you posted has NOTHING to do with Win98 or FireWalls !
    Not one of the News Groups was for a Win2K News Group or a Security News Group !

    Ad-aware SE and SpyBot S&D are good choices !

    Ghosting a source PC and Ghosting to the other platforms is an excellent idea. I use
    Symantec Ghost Enterprise in a corporate environment and it it is highly valuable in
    deploying and maintaininmg the platforms.

    Before you Ghost the platform, make sure Win2K SP4 is installed, all MS Office Service
    Packs are installed and all MS Critical Updates are installed. Install Mozilla FireFox as
    the default browser and configure all aspects of software. When done copy the profile to
    the Default User profile. Then make your clone. When you get down do, there is no need to
    worry about defragging prior to a Ghost image or after restoring a Ghost image. Defragging
    is the LEAST of your worries and shouldn't be a consideration at all.

    --
    Dave
  9. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    <aside -- David everything a-okay with 98SE -- tightenened security at router
    level and tougher password -- no more hits on ZA PRO. software firewall as of
    now -- :> --- everyone seems to want to access my system for some reason
    <???> Wallwatcher.exe is okay -- will have to deal with Commercial Keylogger
    potential in XP PRO. of NTFS - D: drive when I return thanks and sorry I have
    been super busy -- and no I am not trying to hijack thread -- everyone else
    can disregard this information -- sorry for the inconvience but e-mail acting
    up and one e-mail account compromised -- must tighten security protocols on
    email and change all passwords in XPPRO. when it is fixed-- worst
    case -complete format and reinstall of XP PRO. TIA for all of your help>

    : From: "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com>
    :
    : | Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    : | (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    : | NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    : | right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
    : | right to alter "c:\".
    : |
[...]
  10. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Software that returns a computer to 'original state on a boot is Go-Back
    from Symantec.

    For cleaning the computers, try Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta. It runs in
    the background and updates automatically.

    "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    > (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    > NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    > right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
    > right to alter "c:\".
    >
    > We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    > remaining 20 systems.
    >
    > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
    > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
    > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot of
    > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > Explorer).
    >
    > A couple of questions come to mind.
    >
    > I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    > machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    > time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    >
    > Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    > maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are there
    > good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    > temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some measurable
    > way?
    >
    > I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    > because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
    > getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    > quite common.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    GoBack is fantastic in 98SE for me. I will use Antispyware Beta from
    Microsoft to try and fix my Commerical keylogger in XPPRO.

    "TV-Engineer" <eric-address@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
[...]
  12. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2000/default.htm

    check out these forums, this is the place to go....

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
  13. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:13:16 -0800, "Matt Gibson"
    <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote:

    >I forget the name of the software product, but it allows you to set the
    >machine up, so any changes made to the base image are lost after a reboot.
    >Therefore, if a machine gets infected with spyware, just reboot it, and it's
    >gone.
    >
    >As long as the students save their work to a network drive, there shouldn't
    >be any problems.

    Hard Drive Sheriff is one...

    Jeff

    >"FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Our school has just recently taken delivery of a number of Dell PCs
    >> (1.7 GHZ, 40GB HDD, 256 RAM) that are going to be running WINDOWS 2000
    >> NT NOS. Our system is set up so that our student users don't have
    >> right-mouse outside of applications such as MS-Office. Students have no
    >> right to alter "c:\".
    >>
    >> We are going to ghost a machine and use that clone the image to the
    >> remaining 20 systems.
    >>
    >> Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
    >> requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    >> and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
    >> Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot of
    >> problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    >> Explorer).
    >>
    >> A couple of questions come to mind.
    >>
    >> I'm considering installing Adaware, and Spybot S&D on the original
    >> machine from which the ghost will be created. Are these the most
    >> time-efficient, user-friendly and effective Malware products?
    >>
    >> Is reghosting from a pristine or defragged machine an adequate
    >> maintenance alternative to defragmenting and disk clean up or are there
    >> good reasons for going around and deleting unnecessary programs and
    >> temp files before running scandisk and defrag better in some measurable
    >> way?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to ensure I spend as little time fiddling as possible,
    >> because, in practice time comes to us teachers in bits and pieces and
    >> getting half way through a task and having to do something else is
    >> quite common.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Thank you and Go-Back is great and I now use Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta
    which I also consider to be GREAT. Grrrreat as Tony the Tiger from Kellogs
    cereal says LOL!!

[...]
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Justins local account wrote:
    > "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com> writes:
    >

    > > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by
    the
    > > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are
    spyware,
    > > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are
    running
    > > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a
    lot of
    > > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > > Explorer).
    >
    > install firefox and deny access to internet explorer
    > --
    > Justin Murdock

    Thanks

    A fair few people recommend I do this, but my school's policy on the
    browser is determined by the state's education body (DET) which is to
    use IE.

    I'm not sure whether this is a purely commercial arrangement or
    justified by the desire for surveillance and control of Internet
    access, but it's a requirement.

    Personally, I'd like to go the LINUX route, but that's just not going
    to be permitted.

    Fran
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    "FRAN" <fran_beta@hotmail.com> writes:

    > Students have access to the web (with some restrictions imposed by the
    > requyired filtering systems) but our principle problems are spyware,
    > and of course the ususal viruses, trojans and so forth. We are running
    > Symantec with live upadates for these latter, but we still get a lot of
    > problems with unwanted plug-ins (eg "whenusearch" attaching to
    > Explorer).

    install firefox and deny access to internet explorer
    --
    Justin Murdock

Microsoft Windows