viewing web pages offline

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

Using win 98 & IE6.

Sometimes making web pages available offline works, sometimes it doesn't.
Anyone know How I can make it work consistently?

Here's a web page I couldn't store for offline viewing:
http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/hd-partn.htm

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

I have no trouble saving that page for Offline.

The entire "Make Available for Offline" mechanism in IE isn't
particularly good, primarily because it depends on IE Cache management,
which is weird and unruly, to put it mildly. For pages such as the one
you mention, the better method is to simply save the page to file. File
menu>Save As.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Mendoza" <noaddress@forme.com> wrote in message
> Using win 98 & IE6.
>
> Sometimes making web pages available offline works, sometimes it
doesn't.
> Anyone know How I can make it work consistently?
>
> Here's a web page I couldn't store for offline viewing:
> http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/hd-partn.htm

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

"Mendoza" <noaddress@forme.com> wrote in message
> Using win 98 & IE6.
>
> Sometimes making web pages available offline works, sometimes it doesn't.
> Anyone know How I can make it work consistently?
>
> Here's a web page I couldn't store for offline viewing:
> http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/hd-partn.htm

Besides offline saving you can also chose to save it as an .mht file.
It's just a single file, and easy to use and put it with whatever you want.

Your link is a perfect website example to do that with.
When at the website go up to the tab: File> SaveAS> ..and here toggle the
"Save as type" box's down arrow, and select the ...mht listing.

Rick

Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> I have no trouble saving that page for Offline.
>
> The entire "Make Available for Offline" mechanism in IE isn't
> particularly good, primarily because it depends on IE Cache management,
> which is weird and unruly, to put it mildly. For pages such as the one
> you mention, the better method is to simply save the page to file. File
> menu>Save As.

....and for that, my personal preference is to save as an .mht file (Web Archive,
single file)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

> "Mendoza" <noaddress@forme.com> wrote in message
> > Using win 98 & IE6.
> >
> > Sometimes making web pages available offline works, sometimes it
> doesn't.
> > Anyone know How I can make it work consistently?
> >
> > Here's a web page I couldn't store for offline viewing:
> > http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/hd-partn.htm

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

Don't know if there's a diff between XP and '98 in this case, but on
an XP system I finally figured out how to have IE display the saved
version of a web page that I had set to the default page.

I clicked the "work off-line" setting under the Files menu.

But I think that the "work off-line" setting affects more than just IE
- yes or no?

It would be nice for IE, when it starts and tries to download the
default start page, that if it can't, that it would use the stored
version automatically (assuming it was stored).

Anyone know how to do that?

Is there any other way to bring up a stored version of a web page
*without* using the "work off-line" setting?

Try experimenting with the TIF settings
Tools
Internet options
General tab
Temporary Internet settings
Settings
"Check for newer versions of stored pages"
and try how the different radio buttons affect your browsing

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> "Mendoza" <noaddress@forme.com> wrote in message
> > Using win 98 & IE6.
> >
> > Sometimes making web pages available offline works, sometimes it
doesn't.
> > Anyone know How I can make it work consistently?
> >
> > Here's a web page I couldn't store for offline viewing:
> > http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/hd-partn.htm
>
> Besides offline saving you can also chose to save it as an .mht file.
> It's just a single file, and easy to use and put it with whatever you
want.

> Your link is a perfect website example to do that with.
> When at the website go up to the tab: File> SaveAS> ..and here toggle the
> "Save as type" box's down arrow, and select the ...mht listing.
>
> Rick

Thanks guys. I don't know if hypertext links between different saved pages
will work though.

> Thanks guys. I don't know if hypertext links between different saved pages
> will work though.

Yes links still work; just try an .mht on the link you gave, you'll like it.
Of course there are always some websites with the way they design their
webpages that won't let you save them 'any of the ways' and that 'may' be
what you are referring to in your original post, and for those if you really
want them you have to do a song and a dance, or more, to get them.

Also there are others too, but lot's of the MS webpages for instance that
won't save in .mht as is, but the nice thing about MS pages are that they all
do give you a 'printer friendly link' of the page at the bottom and what is
really nice about that feature is that when you open it it Will let you save
it as an .mht and it's a nice clean look too ..as well all hyperlinks work
within mht's as already mentioned ..try it, you may never go back :)

Rick

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

If what you want is to save multiple pages to a local directory and
maintain the relative hyperlinks, then you really need a third-party
solution like GetRight or GoZilla! or a command-line utility like W-Get.
Here's a link to that last one:
http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html

IE's cache system (aka Temporary Internet Files) is woefully inadequate
for the task.