Vestigial Norton

After a titanic struggle between man and machine, I've finally managed to
get NAV2003 uninstalled and AVG working nicely in its place.

My registry checking utility shows no unassociated files, but of course if
you actually go into the registry and do a file search (Symantec, Norton,
NAV, LU, probably others), there is a boatload of them.

It's just a cosmetic issue, but I still can't get the program name "Norton
AntiVirus 2003" to disappear from Add/Remove. When I highlight it and click
Add/Remove, it wants to install it and asks me to insert the disk.

Is there a specific registry key or value I can delete that will take care
of this? There was information on the Norton website for an earlier version
and I tried it (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
Version\Uninstall\ and then delete the Norton AntiVirus key), but no dice.

Roger Fink wrote:

> It's just a cosmetic issue, but I still can't get the program
> name "Norton AntiVirus 2003" to disappear from Add/Remove.

Get Tweakui. It has a tab specifically to remove items in the
add/remove list.

98 Guy wrote:
> Roger Fink wrote:
>
>> It's just a cosmetic issue, but I still can't get the program
>> name "Norton AntiVirus 2003" to disappear from Add/Remove.
>
> Get Tweakui. It has a tab specifically to remove items in the
> add/remove list.

What a great idea. I had forgotten all about that. It's GONE.

1. Uninstall AVG.

2. Run Rnav2003.exe
Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

3. Reinstall AVG.

4. Install and run the registry cleaner module of EasyCleaner to find and remove
orphaned NAV-related Registry entries:
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

(Thanks to Bear for the suggestions)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

cf. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

In Memoriam, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)
http://www.microsoft.com/windo­wsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/ni­chol.mspx

Roger Fink wrote:
> After a titanic struggle between man and machine, I've finally
> managed to get NAV2003 uninstalled and AVG working nicely in its
> place.
>
> My registry checking utility shows no unassociated files, but of
> course if you actually go into the registry and do a file search
> (Symantec, Norton, NAV, LU, probably others), there is a boatload of
> them.
>
> It's just a cosmetic issue, but I still can't get the program name
> "Norton AntiVirus 2003" to disappear from Add/Remove. When I
> highlight it and click Add/Remove, it wants to install it and asks me
> to insert the disk.
>
> Is there a specific registry key or value I can delete that will take
> care of this? There was information on the Norton website for an
> earlier version and I tried it
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
> Version\Uninstall\ and then delete the Norton AntiVirus key), but no
> dice.

Thanks 98 Guy, Glen, PA Bear, for all this good advice. I still had Rnav2003
on my HD and I decided after Glen's post to face the music. The second
program seems in every feature described like a duplicate of Fix-It 2000,
which I already use, so I took a flyer on that one, having essentially
already done it.

I'm not sure if my experience was universal but FWIW I'll mention this
anyway: the shortcoming with Rnav is one particular file which some NAV
users have, which it should remove but doesn't. When I first installed
Norton it was causing a lot of timing problems w/r/t launching start-up
programs, so Norton Support told me to download a particular file,
Sevinst.exe, from their site which creates a separate applet to correct it,
and it did. It sets up a separate folder "Symantec" with hidden files under
C:/Progam Files. If you manually delete that folder (neither Add/Remove for
NAV nor Rnav2003 will remove it) you get a message during boot-up about a
file within it, "Symevnt.386", so, in the absence of a way to remove it
without interrupting subsequent boot-ups, one is tempted to leave the
folder, not knowing if the applet is interacting with anything or not. Based
on some start-up problems I was having after I removed it, I think it was,
but by now I confess I'm too far gone to be sure.

Anyway, through a search of the Norton site today I found out how to remove
it. Delete this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\SYMEVNT

As I said yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that:
"everything's fine now".

Roger Fink wrote:

yadda yadda...

(edit) "...after I removed [NAV2003], I think it
> was, but...",

and so forth.

The missing file message at startup after uninstalling Norton (and sometimes even
while it is still installed) is fairly common; and the fix has long been to delete
that registry entry (
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\SYMEVNT) if Norton is no
longer installed.
Glad you got it figured out.
--

> Roger Fink wrote:
> > After a titanic struggle between man and machine, I've finally
> > managed to get NAV2003 uninstalled and AVG working nicely in its
> > place.
> >
> > My registry checking utility shows no unassociated files, but of
> > course if you actually go into the registry and do a file search
> > (Symantec, Norton, NAV, LU, probably others), there is a boatload of
> > them.
> >
> > It's just a cosmetic issue, but I still can't get the program name
> > "Norton AntiVirus 2003" to disappear from Add/Remove. When I
> > highlight it and click Add/Remove, it wants to install it and asks me
> > to insert the disk.
> >
> > Is there a specific registry key or value I can delete that will take
> > care of this? There was information on the Norton website for an
> > earlier version and I tried it
> > (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
> > Version\Uninstall\ and then delete the Norton AntiVirus key), but no
> > dice.
>
> Thanks 98 Guy, Glen, PA Bear, for all this good advice. I still had Rnav2003
> on my HD and I decided after Glen's post to face the music. The second
> program seems in every feature described like a duplicate of Fix-It 2000,
> which I already use, so I took a flyer on that one, having essentially
> already done it.
>
> I'm not sure if my experience was universal but FWIW I'll mention this
> anyway: the shortcoming with Rnav is one particular file which some NAV
> users have, which it should remove but doesn't. When I first installed
> Norton it was causing a lot of timing problems w/r/t launching start-up
> programs, so Norton Support told me to download a particular file,
> Sevinst.exe, from their site which creates a separate applet to correct it,
> and it did. It sets up a separate folder "Symantec" with hidden files under
> C:/Progam Files. If you manually delete that folder (neither Add/Remove for
> NAV nor Rnav2003 will remove it) you get a message during boot-up about a
> file within it, "Symevnt.386", so, in the absence of a way to remove it
> without interrupting subsequent boot-ups, one is tempted to leave the
> folder, not knowing if the applet is interacting with anything or not. Based
> on some start-up problems I was having after I removed it, I think it was,
> but by now I confess I'm too far gone to be sure.
>
> Anyway, through a search of the Norton site today I found out how to remove
> it. Delete this:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\SYMEVNT
>
> As I said yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that:
> "everything's fine now".

Nothing like reinventing the wheel......

> Nothing like reinventing the wheel......

LOL...hey, that's what makes the world go 'round (and 'round, and 'round...) ;-)