KB891711 or something else???

hello all...

I had the kb891711 problem and I was able to delete the system folder
and the registry entry, then I performed the Windows update.

However, my system is running very slow... and I have application,
with the symbol of a little dog, in my Windows Temp directory. This
application changes name in the directory with each boot, it will not
let me delete it - stating that it’s in use by Windows. In addition,
whatever is on my machine is preventing me from booting up in safemode
(F12 key on my compaq laptop). Lastly, when Windows is booting up...
if I do an alt-control-delete, I see an application running called
<unknown>.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean my machine?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-KB891711-ftopict343737.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1075690
3 answers Last reply
More about kb891711 else

    Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    In Memoriam, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windo­wsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/ni­chol.mspx

    Michael wrote:
    > hello all...
    >
    > I had the kb891711 problem and I was able to delete the system folder
    > and the registry entry, then I performed the Windows update.
    >
    > However, my system is running very slow... and I have application,
    > with the symbol of a little dog, in my Windows Temp directory. This
    > application changes name in the directory with each boot, it will not
    > let me delete it - stating that it’s in use by Windows. In addition,
    > whatever is on my machine is preventing me from booting up in safemode
    > (F12 key on my compaq laptop). Lastly, when Windows is booting up...
    > if I do an alt-control-delete, I see an application running called
    > <unknown>.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean my machine?

    F12 on the Compaq is not used to get into Safe Mode....it is the key used at the
    beginning of the boot process to enter the BIOS Setup program. To start in Safe
    Mode:
    -Start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows 98 Startup menu
    (boot menu) appears.
    -Use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" and press Enter.
    -Alternately, if that does not work, repeatedly tap the F8 key during boot, just
    prior to when the Win98 logo screen is about to appear.

    Here's another way to get to the boot menu to choose Safe Mode:
    Click Start> Run, type msconfig and click OK.
    Click the Advanced button.
    Put a check in the box for "Enable Startup Menu", and click OK all the way out.
    Restart when prompted.
    This should bring you to the boot menu, where you can use the arrow keys to select
    Safe Mode, and press Enter.
    When you are done with the need to start in Safe Mode, go back to msconfig and
    remove the check from the box, and click OK all the way out.

    Try cleaning your system of trojans with the standalone app Sysclean:
    - Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive and name it Sysclean.
    - Go here and download sysclean.com and the pattern files to the Sysclean folder:
    - Unzip the pattern files from their .zip file into the Sysclean folder.
    - Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
    - Go to the Sysclean folder and double-click sysclean.com to start the scan.

    When the scan is finished, use Notepad or Wordpad to look at the log it created. You
    may need to locate the files it named there to manually delete them, if sysclean did
    not delete them itself.

    Following that, while still in Safe Mode, use your anti-virus app to run a
    full-system virus scan. Make sure you have already updated it while you are in
    normal mode.

    Download these apps, install and update them while in normal mode, then run them in
    Safe Mode:

    CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

    Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition (To update it, start it and click its 'Check for
    Updates' link in the app to install updates). Use it to scan your system, and
    remove what it finds.
    Ad-Aware SE personal edition:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
    the items in RED only.
    SpyBot S&D:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

    When removing spyware, it is a good idea to download and store LSPFix ahead of time,
    in case you need to fix your Internet connectivity when done. Some spyware will
    break your ability to connect when removed.
    LSPFix - repairs Winsock 2 settings:
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/lspfix.html
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

    "Michael" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > hello all...
    >
    > I had the kb891711 problem and I was able to delete the system folder
    > and the registry entry, then I performed the Windows update.
    >
    > However, my system is running very slow... and I have application,
    > with the symbol of a little dog, in my Windows Temp directory. This
    > application changes name in the directory with each boot, it will not
    > let me delete it - stating that it's in use by Windows. In addition,
    > whatever is on my machine is preventing me from booting up in safemode
    > (F12 key on my compaq laptop). Lastly, when Windows is booting up...
    > if I do an alt-control-delete, I see an application running called
    > <unknown>.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean my machine?

    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-KB891711-ftopict343737.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1075690

    Are you viewing our group using a web browser? I noticed in your headers that you
    are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you realise that they are simply sending
    your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are unnecessarily using a middleman?

    Visit us using a newsreader at:
    to avoid the middleman - ADVERTISEMENT-FREE!

    How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the Microsoft
    forums:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Michael" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > hello all...
    >
    > I had the kb891711 problem and I was able to delete the system folder
    > and the registry entry, then I performed the Windows update.
    >
    > However, my system is running very slow... and I have application,
    > with the symbol of a little dog, in my Windows Temp directory. This
    > application changes name in the directory with each boot, it will not
    > let me delete it - stating that it's in use by Windows. In addition,
    > whatever is on my machine is preventing me from booting up in safemode
    > (F12 key on my compaq laptop). Lastly, when Windows is booting up...
    > if I do an alt-control-delete, I see an application running called
    > <unknown>.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean my machine?

    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-KB891711-ftopict343737.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsf
    orumz.com/eform.php?p=1075690