How to prevent prevent Files or Folders from being deleted..

Experts,
Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be deletable.
That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
folder.The main purpose is to prevent accidental deletion of any file from
the folder. Is there such function in Windows or other software to do this?
Maybe inorder to delete the file, we need to set security such as password,
or something as simple as file or folder property. Is this possible?
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about prevent prevent files folders deleted

    "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be deletable.
    > That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
    > folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
    folder.

    Win98 does not enable this. We may make any
    file or folder Read Only or Read/Write. No feature
    of the OS lets us write to a file but prevent our deleting it.
    (Win98 does not enable a password for a folder or file,
    only for a user or the whole system.)
    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    There seems to be third party app's that might accomplish what your looking
    for. I did not go through it in detail but this search from Google might get
    you started;

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=protecting+folders%2Bwin98

    TK.

    "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Experts,
    > Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be deletable.
    > That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
    > folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
    > folder.The main purpose is to prevent accidental deletion of any file from
    > the folder. Is there such function in Windows or other software to do
    this?
    > Maybe inorder to delete the file, we need to set security such as
    password,
    > or something as simple as file or folder property. Is this possible?
    > Thanks

    Ron Badour, MS MVP, has previously listed several
    share- and freeware utilities which "secure" folders under Win9X:

    Magic Folders 2.0
    www.pc-magic.com $US 19

    FolderLock 2.0
    www.sihs.bizland.com/fldrlock.exe

    SafeLock
    www.sihs.bizland.com/safeloc.exe

    File Protector 1.6
    www.mikkoaj.hypermart.net/fileprot.html

    Norman Access Control
    www.norman.no/products_nac.html

    WorkStationLock
    www.possum.com/worklock.html $US 5

    Sentry
    www.pc-shareware.com/sentry.htm $US 19
    -----------

    Also "Startup Cop". http://www.pcmag.com/utilities

    -----------

    And this
    System Enhancer V1.0

    1. Can add more security to the security warning in Outlook 2000.
    2. Restrict access to almost everything on Your Desktop
    3. Restrict access to Control Panel Applets, Regedit, Internet Explorer
    Favorites, Navigation Buttons.
    4. Increase Network Performance.
    5. Increase Modem Performance.
    6. Add backgound images to Outlook,Explorer,Internet Explorer Toolbar.
    7. Tidy up installations Add/Remove Programs.
    8. Display Attribute Column In Windows Explorer.
    9. Optimizing Dial-up connection speed.
    10. Disable Desktop Context Menu.
    11. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Favorites.
    12. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Toolbar.
    13. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Tools Option.

    Over a 100 tools available in this one application

    Free To Try Software: New Ver. 1.1 10/01.
    Download From http://www.cjpsoftware.com/cjpsoftware.cjp
    ----
    And this
    PC Security™
    http://www.tropsoft.com/pcsecurity/prodinfo.htm
    ----

    IMO, the following two programs, when used in conjunction with each
    other, offer a great deal of flexibility and will satisfy many security
    needs.
    They can be used to control access to executables as well as data, have
    so far proven highly reliable, and are free for non-commercial use:
    Cryptext at http://www.pcug.org.au/~njpayne
    ScramDisk at http://www.samsimpson.com/scramdisk.php

    --
    Grazzer 9/20/2002
    ----

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Experts,
    > Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be deletable.
    > That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
    > folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
    > folder.The main purpose is to prevent accidental deletion of any file from
    > the folder. Is there such function in Windows or other software to do
    this?
    > Maybe inorder to delete the file, we need to set security such as
    password,
    > or something as simple as file or folder property. Is this possible?
    > Thanks

    Thanks!!! Nice to have it all together with explanations and
    recommendations.

    TK.

Microsoft Windows