Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to prevent prevent Files or Folders from being deleted..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 14, 2005 2:29:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Experts,
Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be deletable.
That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
folder.The main purpose is to prevent accidental deletion of any file from
the folder. Is there such function in Windows or other software to do this?
Maybe inorder to delete the file, we need to set security such as password,
or something as simple as file or folder property. Is this possible?
Thanks
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:23:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:82277C52-FADF-4637-B64A-3E49B0EBD6E2@microsoft.com...

> Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be deletable.
> That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
> folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
folder.

Win98 does not enable this. We may make any
file or folder Read Only or Read/Write. No feature
of the OS lets us write to a file but prevent our deleting it.
(Win98 does not enable a password for a folder or file,
only for a user or the whole system.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:56:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

There seems to be third party app's that might accomplish what your looking
for. I did not go through it in detail but this search from Google might get
you started;

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=protecting+folders...

TK.


"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:82277C52-FADF-4637-B64A-3E49B0EBD6E2@microsoft.com...
> Experts,
> Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be deletable.
> That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
> folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
> folder.The main purpose is to prevent accidental deletion of any file from
> the folder. Is there such function in Windows or other software to do
this?
> Maybe inorder to delete the file, we need to set security such as
password,
> or something as simple as file or folder property. Is this possible?
> Thanks
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:20:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Ron Badour, MS MVP, has previously listed several
share- and freeware utilities which "secure" folders under Win9X:

Magic Folders 2.0
www.pc-magic.com $US 19

FolderLock 2.0
www.sihs.bizland.com/fldrlock.exe

SafeLock
www.sihs.bizland.com/safeloc.exe

File Protector 1.6
www.mikkoaj.hypermart.net/fileprot.html

Norman Access Control
www.norman.no/products_nac.html

WorkStationLock
www.possum.com/worklock.html $US 5

Sentry
www.pc-shareware.com/sentry.htm $US 19
-----------

Also "Startup Cop". http://www.pcmag.com/utilities

-----------

And this
System Enhancer V1.0

1. Can add more security to the security warning in Outlook 2000.
2. Restrict access to almost everything on Your Desktop
3. Restrict access to Control Panel Applets, Regedit, Internet Explorer
Favorites, Navigation Buttons.
4. Increase Network Performance.
5. Increase Modem Performance.
6. Add backgound images to Outlook,Explorer,Internet Explorer Toolbar.
7. Tidy up installations Add/Remove Programs.
8. Display Attribute Column In Windows Explorer.
9. Optimizing Dial-up connection speed.
10. Disable Desktop Context Menu.
11. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Favorites.
12. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Toolbar.
13. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Tools Option.

Over a 100 tools available in this one application

Free To Try Software: New Ver. 1.1 10/01.
Download From http://www.cjpsoftware.com/cjpsoftware.cjp
----
And this
PC Security™
http://www.tropsoft.com/pcsecurity/prodinfo.htm
----

IMO, the following two programs, when used in conjunction with each
other, offer a great deal of flexibility and will satisfy many security
needs.
They can be used to control access to executables as well as data, have
so far proven highly reliable, and are free for non-commercial use:
Cryptext at http://www.pcug.org.au/~njpayne
ScramDisk at http://www.samsimpson.com/scramdisk.php

--
Grazzer 9/20/2002
----

--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:82277C52-FADF-4637-B64A-3E49B0EBD6E2@microsoft.com...
> Experts,
> Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be deletable.
> That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
> folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
> folder.The main purpose is to prevent accidental deletion of any file from
> the folder. Is there such function in Windows or other software to do
this?
> Maybe inorder to delete the file, we need to set security such as
password,
> or something as simple as file or folder property. Is this possible?
> Thanks
>
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 4:58:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Thanks!!! Nice to have it all together with explanations and
recommendations.

TK.


"Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
news:o xSNGHWKFHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Ron Badour, MS MVP, has previously listed several
> share- and freeware utilities which "secure" folders under Win9X:
>
> Magic Folders 2.0
> www.pc-magic.com $US 19
>
> FolderLock 2.0
> www.sihs.bizland.com/fldrlock.exe
>
> SafeLock
> www.sihs.bizland.com/safeloc.exe
>
> File Protector 1.6
> www.mikkoaj.hypermart.net/fileprot.html
>
> Norman Access Control
> www.norman.no/products_nac.html
>
> WorkStationLock
> www.possum.com/worklock.html $US 5
>
> Sentry
> www.pc-shareware.com/sentry.htm $US 19
> -----------
>
> Also "Startup Cop". http://www.pcmag.com/utilities
>
> -----------
>
> And this
> System Enhancer V1.0
>
> 1. Can add more security to the security warning in Outlook 2000.
> 2. Restrict access to almost everything on Your Desktop
> 3. Restrict access to Control Panel Applets, Regedit, Internet Explorer
> Favorites, Navigation Buttons.
> 4. Increase Network Performance.
> 5. Increase Modem Performance.
> 6. Add backgound images to Outlook,Explorer,Internet Explorer Toolbar.
> 7. Tidy up installations Add/Remove Programs.
> 8. Display Attribute Column In Windows Explorer.
> 9. Optimizing Dial-up connection speed.
> 10. Disable Desktop Context Menu.
> 11. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Favorites.
> 12. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Toolbar.
> 13. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Tools Option.
>
> Over a 100 tools available in this one application
>
> Free To Try Software: New Ver. 1.1 10/01.
> Download From http://www.cjpsoftware.com/cjpsoftware.cjp
> ----
> And this
> PC SecurityT
> http://www.tropsoft.com/pcsecurity/prodinfo.htm
> ----
>
> IMO, the following two programs, when used in conjunction with each
> other, offer a great deal of flexibility and will satisfy many security
> needs.
> They can be used to control access to executables as well as data, have
> so far proven highly reliable, and are free for non-commercial use:
> Cryptext at http://www.pcug.org.au/~njpayne
> ScramDisk at http://www.samsimpson.com/scramdisk.php
>
> --
> Grazzer 9/20/2002
> ----
>
> --
> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:82277C52-FADF-4637-B64A-3E49B0EBD6E2@microsoft.com...
> > Experts,
> > Is it possible to set somewhere for Folders and Files to NOT be
deletable.
> > That is, I would like to be able to add and update files in a particular
> > folder, but would like to prevent deletion of any of the files in the
> > folder.The main purpose is to prevent accidental deletion of any file
from
> > the folder. Is there such function in Windows or other software to do
> this?
> > Maybe inorder to delete the file, we need to set security such as
> password,
> > or something as simple as file or folder property. Is this possible?
> > Thanks
> >
>
>
!