Fatal Exception

Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 14, 2005 12:43:57 AM

I am getting a "Fatal Exception 06 has occurred at 0000:00000017" when I
click on My Computer or try to view either D or E drive using MS Explorer.
I therefore cannot read a CD form either drive. Have done a complete virus
check and spyware check. This has happened suddenly and also occurred when
opening certain programs. The D drive is ok playing audio. Thank you, Ron.

More about : fatal exception

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:53:21 PM

This error means that the microprocessor is receiving an instruction
that makes no sense to it.

One possible cause is a damaged program. For example, your harddisk
might have a bad spot on it with the result being that Windows has a
defective command in it. However, you say you get this error with
either of two drives, implying that the defect is not in a byte that
stores info about one drive or in a byte that relates to all drives.

Another possibility is an improperly installed hardware device. Did
you add any hardware just before this trouble began?

Have you run scandisk recently? If not I suggest that you run it two
or three times in "thorough" mode. Then try running Windows in Safe
Mode. Safe Mode eliminates a bunch of programs that start
automatically. I do not see how one of these programs could cause the
error you are getting but it is easy to make sure by running Safe
Mode. If you still get the error in Safe Mode, and I think you will,
then you can be pretty sure that there is a hardware problem.

If none of the above suggests a clue, I suggest that you reinstall
Windows into a new empty folder. The following articles explain how to
install Windows into a new folder:

How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/...

How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/...

However, before reinstalling Windows 98, you should first try running
the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and enter “sfc”.

Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:00:32 PM

Thanks Bill for a very helpful reply. In the end I reinstalled windows and
found there were corrupted system files. They were repaired and the system
is up and running ok. Am going to upgrade to XP soon. Again many thanks. Ron
Shepherd

"Bill Starbuck" <no_email@please.com> wrote in message
> This error means that the microprocessor is receiving an instruction
> that makes no sense to it.
>
> One possible cause is a damaged program. For example, your harddisk
> might have a bad spot on it with the result being that Windows has a
> defective command in it. However, you say you get this error with
> either of two drives, implying that the defect is not in a byte that
> stores info about one drive or in a byte that relates to all drives.
>
> Another possibility is an improperly installed hardware device. Did
> you add any hardware just before this trouble began?
>
> Have you run scandisk recently? If not I suggest that you run it two
> or three times in "thorough" mode. Then try running Windows in Safe
> Mode. Safe Mode eliminates a bunch of programs that start
> automatically. I do not see how one of these programs could cause the
> error you are getting but it is easy to make sure by running Safe
> Mode. If you still get the error in Safe Mode, and I think you will,
> then you can be pretty sure that there is a hardware problem.
>
> If none of the above suggests a clue, I suggest that you reinstall
> Windows into a new empty folder. The following articles explain how to
> install Windows into a new folder:
>
> How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/...
>
> How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/...
>
> However, before reinstalling Windows 98, you should first try running
> the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and enter "sfc".
>
> Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.
>

> Bill Starbuck (MVP)
March 15, 2005 6:19:16 PM

"Am going to upgrade to XP soon. "

Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
HOME EDITION or PROFESSIONAL
by Gary Woodruff, MS-MVP
© 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

Clean Install Windows XP

Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
© 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thanks Bill for a very helpful reply. In the end I reinstalled windows and
> found there were corrupted system files. They were repaired and the system
> is up and running ok. Am going to upgrade to XP soon. Again many thanks.
Ron
> Shepherd
> >>
> "Bill Starbuck" <no_email@please.com> wrote in message

<SNIP>
March 20, 2005 9:46:00 PM

Well have fun with the NT code and being the most targeted os on the planet.
<grin>

news:o xm9DxZKFHA.2796@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: "Am going to upgrade to XP soon. "
:
: Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
: HOME EDITION or PROFESSIONAL
: by Gary Woodruff, MS-MVP
: © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
: http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
:
: Clean Install Windows XP
: http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
:
:
: Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
: by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
: © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
: http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
:
: --
: Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
: Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
:
: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
: In Memorium: Alex Nichol
: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
: Your cooperation is very appreciated.
: ------
: "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
: news:uMjqfdWKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: > Thanks Bill for a very helpful reply. In the end I reinstalled windows
and
: > found there were corrupted system files. They were repaired and the
system
: > is up and running ok. Am going to upgrade to XP soon. Again many thanks.
: Ron
: > Shepherd
: > >>
!