Fatal Exception

I am getting a "Fatal Exception 06 has occurred at 0000:00000017" when I
click on My Computer or try to view either D or E drive using MS Explorer.
I therefore cannot read a CD form either drive. Have done a complete virus
check and spyware check. This has happened suddenly and also occurred when
opening certain programs. The D drive is ok playing audio. Thank you, Ron.
4 answers Last reply
More about fatal exception

    This error means that the microprocessor is receiving an instruction
    that makes no sense to it.

    One possible cause is a damaged program. For example, your harddisk
    might have a bad spot on it with the result being that Windows has a
    defective command in it. However, you say you get this error with
    either of two drives, implying that the defect is not in a byte that
    stores info about one drive or in a byte that relates to all drives.

    Another possibility is an improperly installed hardware device. Did
    you add any hardware just before this trouble began?

    Have you run scandisk recently? If not I suggest that you run it two
    or three times in "thorough" mode. Then try running Windows in Safe
    Mode. Safe Mode eliminates a bunch of programs that start
    automatically. I do not see how one of these programs could cause the
    error you are getting but it is easy to make sure by running Safe
    Mode. If you still get the error in Safe Mode, and I think you will,
    then you can be pretty sure that there is a hardware problem.

    If none of the above suggests a clue, I suggest that you reinstall
    Windows into a new empty folder. The following articles explain how to
    install Windows into a new folder:

    How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp

    How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp

    However, before reinstalling Windows 98, you should first try running
    the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and enter “sfc”.

    Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    Thanks Bill for a very helpful reply. In the end I reinstalled windows and
    found there were corrupted system files. They were repaired and the system
    is up and running ok. Am going to upgrade to XP soon. Again many thanks. Ron
    Shepherd

    "Bill Starbuck" <no_email@please.com> wrote in message
    > This error means that the microprocessor is receiving an instruction
    > that makes no sense to it.
    >
    > One possible cause is a damaged program. For example, your harddisk
    > might have a bad spot on it with the result being that Windows has a
    > defective command in it. However, you say you get this error with
    > either of two drives, implying that the defect is not in a byte that
    > stores info about one drive or in a byte that relates to all drives.
    >
    > Another possibility is an improperly installed hardware device. Did
    > you add any hardware just before this trouble began?
    >
    > Have you run scandisk recently? If not I suggest that you run it two
    > or three times in "thorough" mode. Then try running Windows in Safe
    > Mode. Safe Mode eliminates a bunch of programs that start
    > automatically. I do not see how one of these programs could cause the
    > error you are getting but it is easy to make sure by running Safe
    > Mode. If you still get the error in Safe Mode, and I think you will,
    > then you can be pretty sure that there is a hardware problem.
    >
    > If none of the above suggests a clue, I suggest that you reinstall
    > Windows into a new empty folder. The following articles explain how to
    > install Windows into a new folder:
    >
    > How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp
    >
    > How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp
    >
    > However, before reinstalling Windows 98, you should first try running
    > the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and enter "sfc".
    >
    > Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.
    >

    > Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    "Am going to upgrade to XP soon. "

    Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
    HOME EDITION or PROFESSIONAL
    by Gary Woodruff, MS-MVP
    © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
    http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
    by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
    © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thanks Bill for a very helpful reply. In the end I reinstalled windows and
    > found there were corrupted system files. They were repaired and the system
    > is up and running ok. Am going to upgrade to XP soon. Again many thanks.
    Ron
    > Shepherd
    > >>
    > "Bill Starbuck" <no_email@please.com> wrote in message

    <SNIP>

    Well have fun with the NT code and being the most targeted os on the planet.
    <grin>

    :
    : Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
    : HOME EDITION or PROFESSIONAL
    : by Gary Woodruff, MS-MVP
    : © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
    : http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
    :
    : Clean Install Windows XP
    : http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    :
    :
    : Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
    : by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
    : © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
    : http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
    :
    : --
    : Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    : Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    :
    : http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    : In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    : Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    : ------
    : "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    : news:uMjqfdWKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : > Thanks Bill for a very helpful reply. In the end I reinstalled windows
    and
    : > found there were corrupted system files. They were repaired and the
    system
    : > is up and running ok. Am going to upgrade to XP soon. Again many thanks.
    : Ron
    : > Shepherd
    : > >>