DSL only works after restart

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 14, 2005 9:51:58 AM

A few days ago I contacted bellsouth due to slow connection speeds
which were abt half of normal.

I am running Windows 98. I got a real winner of a tech that took me
round the world, had me uncheck all the startup boxes except my
antivirus and now while I'm connecting at the normal speed of 1472000
bps I can't surf the net but
a few sites before the system seems to just quit!
I'm still connected, the pages just won't load. I think
that maybe that first tech had me change something that should not have

been.

The guy worked me into a corner, then just disconnected from me leaving

another tech to try and undo the damage. I got a really nice tech
next, but no real results and she said she really didn't know what the
other tech was doing and apparently neither did he as he had deleted
ALL of my internet connections for no apparent reason.

They are sending out a modem update on Monday, and that may be part of
the problem, but I can't help thinking that the 1st tech disabled or
enabled something that's making the system not perform correctly as I
went from connecting at 1/2 speed to full speed, but not operating.

Does anyone know something that I might check. I feel it might have
something to do with all of the boxes he had me "uncheck".

Suggestions?

More about : dsl works restart

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:25:50 PM

Recheck them all and wait for the modem update. The tech was and is totally
incompetent, msconfig should only be used for troubleshooting in helping
pinpoint a problem, not as a tool used to disable processes to cure a
problem.

Here is my standard blurb on disabling apps from running on boot:

If you want to stop programs from loading on boot there are several ways to
accomplish it:
You should only use msconfig for troubleshooting problems, although it
could be used for stubborn programs until you find a way to disable them
otherwise.
Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and hit enter.
Click on the Startup tab and uncheck the program you wish to disable.
If the program adds a new second entry on reboot, then there is probably a
way in the programs options that will disable it.

Right click on the programs icon in the systray to see if there is an option
to disable it from loading on boot.

Open the program/s in question and check their options to see if they have
one to disable it from loading on boot.

Remove any entries from the Startup folder that you do not want to load on
boot.

Uninstall the program you don't want loading if out of other options.

Look in Start > Run, type in: sysedit and hit enter.
Click on the win.ini window and see if there is anything after load= or
run=, these lines are usually blank after the =. Remove anything after the =
on those lines if you do not want it running.

Look in the Registry under these keys:
Start > Run, type in: regedit and hit enter. Navigate to the following keys:
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnceEx
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServices
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current
version\RunServicesOnce

Remove or REM the entries from within these keys in the right pane. Always
backup the registry before making any changes so that you may import the
keys back in should anything go wrong. Haphazardly removing keys in the
registry is very dangerous and can render your system useless. Be 100% sure
of what you are doing and what you remove can be safely done.

You can Backup the registry key/s while in regedit: Click on Registry on
the menu bar while in the registry, click on "Export Registry File.". Choose
a location, I recommend saving it to the desktop and it makes it easy to
find. Place a check next to "Selected Branch" and give the file a memorable
name, select save, make your changes and close out. If you have no problems
after say 2 weeks, you can delete the exported files.
If you have problems, double click the reg file on the desktop to
import/merge it back into the registry.

Do Not back up the entire registry in the registry editor. Importing it
back while in windows can be harmful to the machine. A registry backup is
created each new calendar day a machine is booted.
If you wish to perform a new backup of the registry after the machine has
been booted, got to Start > Run, type in: scanregw and hit enter. You will
be prompted that a registry has already been backed up for the day and do
you wish to create a new one, click yes.

More on Backing up/restoring the registry:
How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256419

HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98,
and Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322754

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221512

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm