When does the x1700 come out? vs 6600 (both agp)

shamgar

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
i have 2 questions so instead of posting in 2 separate questions, i'll just ask them here.

i have an agp system. i have read the sticky post and it was very helpful. however i am wondering about a couple of things that i did not see mentioned.

first of all, i have seen numerous, numerous sites saying how to unlock a 6600 AGP card, and make it into a 6800.
if so, wouldnt getting a 6600 be the best deal right now? bcs on pricewatch a e-vga 6600 is about $112 shipped.

the 6600gt is about $138. but do you really need a GT to unlock the pipes?

i was also wondering about getting an x1600. yes i do some video editing and nothing is worse than sitting there for an hour when u are trying to edit a video file, it makes me nuts. the cheapest x1600 agp i found on www.pricewatch.com is a sapphire x1600 for $123 (its actually from newegg).

or my last question is this, the x1700 was supposed to come out. will it be in agp form? and i'm sure it will be a solid card, but when will it come out? does anyone have a clue.

any insight will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

cleeve

Illustrious
1. There is nothing to unlock on a 6600, GT or otherwise.

You are thinking of the 6800, 6800XT, and 6800 GS which can be unlocked (but not guaranteed to work) because the chip they are based on has 16 pipelines, and some are disabled in these models. but the 6600 gpu has 8 pipelines on board, and that's all.

2. X1600's are OK if you overclock them, otherwise they're probably 80 to 90% as good as a 6600 GT, although the video rendering speed will be much better

3. The X1700 will probably not come out in AGP, both the X1800 and X1900 series never showed up in AGP and probably never will.

shamgar

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
good to know about the 6600 - i read some articles somewhere, but they must have been messed up. stupid n00bs. haha

but maybe they might make an x1700 for agp? i was just wondering the release date of the x1700. if its not for a while, then oh well.

i just want to get a cheap agp card that performs well. i dont want to go all out, bcs soon i will build a new system with an opteron 165 or something (proly when the am2's and conroes come out bcs then that whole system should be cheaper)

are there any better sites than www.pricewatch.com to find sweet computer gear for super cheap? i found a 6800 by albatron for $142 with shipping from pricewatch, but it only has 128 mb ram. anyone have any other links for a 6800 that is super cheap?

i have a 22" monitor, i play wow all the time. if u have ever been on the arthas server, u would know who shamgar is.

so i just want something that isnt like OMGSUPERAWESOME vid card, but something for cheap that will play really well. i have a ati 9550 right now, which does ok, but i'm thinking these other cards can do much better

plus i use fraps and then i try to edit the video, but it takes forever even with an xp3200+ and 1gig of ram.

thats y i was thinking about the x1600. but what do u guys think, u are more pro than me at this.

thnx again

cleeve

Illustrious
X1700 probably won't be for a few months at least, and if there's an agp version add a few months for that (but I doubt it)

Bottom line: The X1600 will be much better than your 9550 for gaming, and will render video really well.

A 6800 GS probably isn't much more expensive, but will be a superior gamer, and has the chance to unlock... but video renders will still be the same as they are now on your system.

Only you know your priorities, so good luck deciding. :)

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
@ Cleeve

6800XT is NV41 = Cant unlock 8O

On topic:
The X1900GT...the next driver realese from ATI is set to have support for the card....realese will follow very shortly after.

shamgar

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
i've decided i want to get a 6800, that way i can unlock the pipes and get a really sweet card. it looks like it smokes tons of other cards in benchmarks.

primitivus, i dont think they make a x1800gto for AGP, i need an agp card

raven_87, in your post when u saic x1900GT did u really mean x1700GT?

also everyone, thnx for the input, but i made another post - its asking about what 6800 you know of that 1)unlocks the best and 2)is the cheapest. i usually use www.pricewatch.com or look on newegg but maybe some of you know some other really good sites

thxn again!