scan disk and disk defragment

My scan disk and disk defrag won't complete - they stop and state that
another program is running - what can I do to get my maintenance completed??
5 answers Last reply
More about scan disk disk defragment

    Have a look at the first link in my sig.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My scan disk and disk defrag won't complete - they stop and state that
    > another program is running - what can I do to get my maintenance
    completed??

    Thanks Gary!!
    The "WARNING" under #3 - does this mean restart before #3?

    Also, where can I find ***NAV's own configuration settings?

    And, are you saying if I perform maintenance after the clean boot, I am to
    do all the "clean boot" steps again before I restore Normal operating
    conditions?

    I am not an experienced PC person - you actually think a person like me
    can perform all these functions without screwing up? You have been a BIG HELP!
    DD

    > Thanks Gary!!
    > The "WARNING" under #3 - does this mean restart before #3?

    Yes, that's exactly what it means, though if you have already gone into
    MSCONFIG and disabled the Startup items, then clicked OK (Step #1),
    you'll be prompted to restart, anyway. There's no need to restart again
    after that, at least no until it's time to restore a normal operating
    environment.

    > Also, where can I find ***NAV's own configuration settings?

    They vary, but you can usually access the settings you need by
    right-clicking the Norton icon in the System Tray, down around where the
    clock resides. If you need more specific instructions for your
    particular flavor of Norton products, you'll have to ask that specific
    question in a separate thread (with an appropriately eye-catching
    Subject line.)

    > And, are you saying if I perform maintenance after the clean boot, I
    am to
    > do all the "clean boot" steps again before I restore Normal operating
    > conditions?

    No (I don't think...) What I'm saying is that once maintenance
    operations are concluded, you need to go back into MSCONFIG and
    re-enable all the startup items, go into Norton and do the same, etc. No
    need to clear TEMP and TIF again, etc.

    > I am not an experienced PC person - you actually think a person like
    me
    > can perform all these functions without screwing up? You have been a
    BIG HELP!
    > DD

    I did my best to fool-proof them, <smile>. But they *are* written with
    one goal being to help familiarize users with their machines' basic
    functions. According to my wife, I provide *too* much detail, but I like
    to cover all the bases. Note: Since last editing that article, I've come
    across another caveat that I need to include when the goal is installing
    a program. But unless you're about to install something using Clean Boot
    methods, it's not relevant to your case. Once you've gone through the
    steps once or twice, you'll find that it all makes much more sense.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Have a look at the first link in my sig.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> My scan disk and disk defrag won't complete - they stop and state that
    >> another program is running - what can I do to get my maintenance
    > completed??

    or try it in safemode (but read Gary's page , good info)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.
    (When running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You
    must do it in "C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini", per cquirke's advice.)
    REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
    system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
    HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
    Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
    your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | My scan disk and disk defrag won't complete - they stop and state that
    | another program is running - what can I do to get my maintenance
    completed??

Defragment Microsoft Windows