BFG GeForce 6800 256 PCI Express vs. eVGA GeForce 7600GT?

rehtonAesoohC

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I just bought a BFG GeForce 6800, and was browsing other video cards when I came across the eVGA 7600GT. The cost of the eVGA card on Newegg is $164 after a $15 mail-in rebate. The cost of the BFG card is $250.99. Why the discrepancy in price? Everything is telling me the 7600GT is a faster card, so why is the 6800 more expensive?

eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256 GDDR3 PCI Express
BFG GeForce 6800 256 DDR PCI Express

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

vois2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
The differences are many. BFG prices are always much higher than any other brands. For instance, you can get an overclocked vanilla 6800 from eVGA for just over $100.

In the past, BFG could demand a much higher price because they were known to offer the best service among video card manufacturers. They do have a solid product line. I used to be a believer in BFG until recent market changes, and I had BFG cards.

However, manufacturers such as XFX and especially eVGA have quickly caught up to BFG on the service side. And their prices are much less.

The 7600GT is a much, much more powerful card compared to the 6800 (even the BFG OC version). You're pretty much talking night and day there. The 6800 is quite a dated GPU at this time, whereas the 7600GT came out only in late January.

Since your budget is $250, if you can do it, I strongly encourage you to return the BFG. You will take a 15% restocking hit ($40) but with the $210 you can go in for a 7600GT and still come out money and performance ahead.

It's sort of shameful that BFG is still pricing their 6800 OC at that price. They have been competitive with more recent and better cards such as the 6800GS and the 7600GT.

firefighter@graffiti.net

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
eVGA also offers a lifetime warranty. Just make sure the AX is at the end of the model number and register it. That even covers the card if you overclock it and it messes up as long as no physical damage. Their site will also tell you how to overclock it and change the HS/Fan if you want to. I have an eVGA and have been very happy with it.

rehtonAesoohC

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Thank you very much for the information! I sort of suspected that that was the case, but I wasn't sure. As soon as the new card gets here (today projected) I will be shipping it right back to Newegg. Sadly, my current card is AGP and I won't be able to plug in my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to just play with the new Motherboard/CPU. But I digress... Thanks for saving me quite a headache later on!

:wink:

rehtonAesoohC

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
By the way- I contacted Newegg and asked them if I could have the restocking fee waived if I don't open the card, and they agreed.

So if you ever have to return something, if it's possible to not open it, do so, as it will save you 15% of whatever you paid.

Hpnotiq

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
I own a XFX XXX 590/1600 7600GT. It will kill a 6800...i mean RAPE the damn thing to death. Get the XFX XXX edition though. eVGA has some major problems with their 7 series cards, XFX has a double lifetime warranty, overclocks are the best standard factory OC you'll see...

Plus mine runs great and i haven't heard one single problem from the XFX 7600GT's. Make sure you get the XXX edition one though!!