problem with "help system"

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 14, 2005 1:16:19 PM

Clicking on 'help' in the start menu.

In the 'troubleshooting' section, when I click on a choice in the right
frame the next screen which is supposed to give me a suggestion - that
screen is BLANK.

How can I reinstall the 'help' part of w98se to make *help* troubleshooting
work?

More about : problem system

March 14, 2005 5:37:07 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Clicking on 'help' in the start menu.
>
> In the 'troubleshooting' section, when I click on a choice in the right
> frame the next screen which is supposed to give me a suggestion - that
> screen is BLANK.
>
> How can I reinstall the 'help' part of w98se to make *help*
> troubleshooting
> work?

Take a look here for a fix
http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Windows/98/98_Tshootr...

if it says "Tshoot98.chm is missing". Better use...
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
Windows Help Troubleshooters
March 14, 2005 5:37:08 PM

See inline comments
"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Clicking on 'help' in the start menu.
> >
> > In the 'troubleshooting' section, when I click on a choice in the right
> > frame the next screen which is supposed to give me a suggestion - that
> > screen is BLANK.
> >
> > How can I reinstall the 'help' part of w98se to make *help*
> > troubleshooting
> > work?
> >

> Take a look here for a fix
> http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Windows/98/98_Tshootr...

**
The problem is as described in the link above.

The problem DID occur after I installed two updates (not the one for ie6).

I installed tshoot.inf as instructed but the problem still persists.
***

> if it says "Tshoot98.chm is missing". Better use...
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
> Windows Help Troubleshooters

**
I looked at this page also but none of the 'problems' listed fit the
'missing page' problem. When I clicked on 'network problems' (since this was
the problem I originally wanted cured, that link led to a "that page is no
longer available" error [meaning that MS has removed that page from their
KB.]

(There was no error message, just a blank page.)
**
March 14, 2005 9:37:14 PM

The second update killed it by placing a killbit on the ocx. Simply
reinstalling tshoot.inf will not bring it back while the second update is
still installed.
See here for more detailed info and the workaround that removes the killbit
so you may use the Help Wizard and replaces the killbit when you close.
http://home.comcast.net/~bascon58/98_help.htm

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> See inline comments
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Clicking on 'help' in the start menu.
>> >
>> > In the 'troubleshooting' section, when I click on a choice in the right
>> > frame the next screen which is supposed to give me a suggestion - that
>> > screen is BLANK.
>> >
>> > How can I reinstall the 'help' part of w98se to make *help*
>> > troubleshooting
>> > work?
>> >

>> Take a look here for a fix
>> http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Windows/98/98_Tshootr...
>>

> **
> The problem is as described in the link above.
>
> The problem DID occur after I installed two updates (not the one for ie6).
>
> I installed tshoot.inf as instructed but the problem still persists.
> ***
>
>> if it says "Tshoot98.chm is missing". Better use...
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
>> Windows Help Troubleshooters
>>

> **
> I looked at this page also but none of the 'problems' listed fit the
> 'missing page' problem. When I clicked on 'network problems' (since this
> was
> the problem I originally wanted cured, that link led to a "that page is no
> longer available" error [meaning that MS has removed that page from their
> KB.]
>
> (There was no error message, just a blank page.)
> **

March 14, 2005 11:22:41 PM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o BENjcPKFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The second update killed it by placing a killbit on the ocx. Simply
> reinstalling tshoot.inf will not bring it back while the second update is
> still installed.
> See here for more detailed info and the workaround that removes the
killbit
> so you may use the Help Wizard and replaces the killbit when you close.
> http://home.comcast.net/~bascon58/98_help.htm

***
All of the suggestions on the link state that they should NOT be used (which
I agree with in my case.) The 'download' patch which removes and replaces
the killbit when help is used sounds like a sure fire *problem* waiting to
really f***k up the system.

The only 'programs' listed in the add/remove part of the control panel are
microsoft VGX933989, Windows 98 KB891711 Update, w 98 Q823559 ud, Q840315,
Q888113, Q890175 (all with Windows 98 ---- Update.)

Which of these should I 'remove'?

Exactly what does the killbit do? I 'religiously do not open spam, and am
careful *which* url's I go to (but unfortunately - some are not what is
'advertised.)

I am not sure that I want to make the registry change as it is not explicit
enough as to what it DOES and what else will fail to work in the OS.

With knowing what the killbit does, maybe I can kill the killbit and get my
help screen back. Maybe with THAT informaion, I can proceed with more
assurance.The help is more important than some other things.
***

> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > See inline comments
> > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Take a look here for a fix
> >> http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Windows/98/98_Tshootr...
> >>

> > **
> > The problem is as described in the link above.
> >
> > The problem DID occur after I installed two updates (not the one for
ie6).

> > I installed tshoot.inf as instructed but the problem still persists.
> > ***
> >
> >> if it says "Tshoot98.chm is missing". Better use...
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
> >> Windows Help Troubleshooters
> >>

> > **
> > I looked at this page also but none of the 'problems' listed fit the
> > 'missing page' problem. When I clicked on 'network problems' (since this
> > was
> > the problem I originally wanted cured, that link led to a "that page is
no
> > longer available" error [meaning that MS has removed that page from
their
> > KB.]
> >
> > (There was no error message, just a blank page.)
> > **

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:44:01 AM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o fM4paRKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> All of the suggestions on the link state that they should NOT be used
> (which
> I agree with in my case.) The 'download' patch which removes and replaces
> the killbit when help is used sounds like a sure fire *problem* waiting to
> really f***k up the system.

Not true, the workaround app (not a patch) works quite well without any
problems. All it does when you run it is remove the value for the killbit
set in the registry for tshoot.ocx allowing the wizards to work, when your
finished it places the killbit back.

> The only 'programs' listed in the add/remove part of the control panel are
> microsoft VGX933989, Windows 98 KB891711 Update, w 98 Q823559 ud, Q840315,
> Q888113, Q890175 (all with Windows 98 ---- Update.)
>
> Which of these should I 'remove'?

None. Either running the install on tshoot.inf removed it from add/remove
or another update did. The killbit is still set in the registry and if
permanently removed opens the machine up to the vulnerability it was
implemented to close.

> Exactly what does the killbit do? I 'religiously do not open spam, and am
> careful *which* url's I go to (but unfortunately - some are not what is
> 'advertised.)

Information on the critical update (Q824145)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03...

> I am not sure that I want to make the registry change as it is not
> explicit
> enough as to what it DOES and what else will fail to work in the OS.
>
> With knowing what the killbit does, maybe I can kill the killbit and get
> my
> help screen back. Maybe with THAT informaion, I can proceed with more
> assurance.The help is more important than some other things.

The small app suggested will do just that. If you choose to use it you may
need to run install on tshoot.inf if it fails to function at first, doing so
will allow full use of the wizards thru the app. The balls in your court
now.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:36:56 AM

Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q188867
Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
Troubleshooters...
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
That's it.

But, here is how to get them back when offline...

NOTE: This first step undoes a security measure put into one/two files
that will not get reinstated by the .reg's that follow. The .reg's only
disable/enable the kill bit.

First, "START, Find, F&F, Tshoot.inf"; R-Clk it & select "Install". You
still won't have the Troubleshooters. So, second...

(1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
(2) Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}

Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024) <<Dword value 400

by
(a) Clicking plus signs, beginning with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE",
(b) & ending with "ActiveX Compatibility".
(c) Finally, click "{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}" itself in
the left pane.
(d) Now, you see "Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024)" in the right
pane.
(e) "Registry menu, Export Registry file".

This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
all the items in the right pane & all sub-keys in the left pane (if
there is a plus sign). Give it a name & location of your choosing, even
to the Desktop or My Documents. Then, to undo the following, you will be
able to simply click that file, to Merge it's contents back into the
Registry.

Actually-- name that one "NoTrouble.reg". It will look like...

....Start.....
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

....End.......

(f) Close RegEdit. You now have an "undo" .reg, named "NoTrouble.reg".
(g) Make a copy of it called "Trouble.reg".
(h) Open "Trouble.reg" in Notepad. Change the "dword" to look as
follows... all zeros...

....Start..of "Trouble.reg"...
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

....End.......

CAREFUL: That "HKEY" is one line, with TWO spaces only. One between
"Internet Explorer", & the other between "ActiveX Compatibility". Make
sure it looks that way in Notepad, before you click to Save. Also, you
must have an empty line at bottom.

Now, "Trouble.reg" gives you the Troubleshooters. "NoTrouble.reg" will
give you security by taking them away. Remember to undo it, after you
are done looking at the Troubleshooters.

(2) By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the
Registry. To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder
Options, File Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries",
click the "Edit" button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set
Default" button. Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in
Notepad for examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it &
select "Merge".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Clicking on 'help' in the start menu.
|
| In the 'troubleshooting' section, when I click on a choice in the
right
| frame the next screen which is supposed to give me a suggestion - that
| screen is BLANK.
|
| How can I reinstall the 'help' part of w98se to make *help*
troubleshooting
| work?

March 15, 2005 11:21:24 AM

see inline comments.
news:o LIhqNTKFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
> Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q188867
> Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
> link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
> Troubleshooters...
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
> That's it.

**
Problem - when I clicked on the networking link - the next screen said that
MS had removed that page.
***

> But, here is how to get them back when offline...

**
Quick read looks like I have to import the notrouble/trouble files before
and after I want to use help - sounds like a non permanent fix????
**

> NOTE: This first step undoes a security measure put into one/two files
> that will not get reinstated by the .reg's that follow. The .reg's only
> disable/enable the kill bit.
>
> First, "START, Find, F&F, Tshoot.inf"; R-Clk it & select "Install". You
> still won't have the Troubleshooters. So, second...

<clipped rest>
March 15, 2005 11:26:15 AM

See inline comment.
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o 4rN%23HSKFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o fM4paRKFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> > All of the suggestions on the link state that they should NOT be used
> > (which
> > I agree with in my case.) The 'download' patch which removes and
replaces
> > the killbit when help is used sounds like a sure fire *problem* waiting
> > really f***k up the system.
>
> Not true, the workaround app (not a patch) works quite well without any
> problems. All it does when you run it is remove the value for the killbit
> set in the registry for tshoot.ocx allowing the wizards to work, when your
> finished it places the killbit back.
>
> > The only 'programs' listed in the add/remove part of the control panel
are
> > microsoft VGX933989, Windows 98 KB891711 Update, w 98 Q823559 ud,
Q840315,
> > Q888113, Q890175 (all with Windows 98 ---- Update.)
> >
> > Which of these should I 'remove'?
>
> None. Either running the install on tshoot.inf removed it from add/remove
> or another update did. The killbit is still set in the registry and if
> permanently removed opens the machine up to the vulnerability it was
> implemented to close.
>
> > Exactly what does the killbit do? I 'religiously do not open spam, and
am
> > careful *which* url's I go to (but unfortunately - some are not what is
> > 'advertised.)
>
> Information on the critical update (Q824145)
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03...

**
Thanks - very detailed.

I guess I better leave the MS patch in - too many chances to screw up.
**

> > I am not sure that I want to make the registry change as it is not
> > explicit
> > enough as to what it DOES and what else will fail to work in the OS.
> >
> > With knowing what the killbit does, maybe I can kill the killbit and get
> > my
> > help screen back. Maybe with THAT informaion, I can proceed with more
> > assurance.The help is more important than some other things.
>
> The small app suggested will do just that. If you choose to use it you may
> need to run install on tshoot.inf if it fails to function at first, doing
so
> will allow full use of the wizards thru the app. The balls in your court
> now.

**
Got the ball.

I guess I will try the app, your assurance was what I needed. Thanks also
for the admonition about the tshoot.inf reinstall.
**

> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:28:42 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ZnKOsXKFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| see inline comments.
| news:o LIhqNTKFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| > Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
| > Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q188867
| > Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
| > link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
| > Troubleshooters...
| > http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
| > That's it.
| >

| **
| Problem - when I clicked on the networking link - the next screen said
that
| MS had removed that page.
| ***

It works for me. It resolves to...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsuppo...
....& the Troubleshooters are there!

| > But, here is how to get them back when offline...
| >

| **
| Quick read looks like I have to import the notrouble/trouble files
before
| and after I want to use help - sounds like a non permanent fix????
| **

The do guy is permanent, until you click the undo guy, which is
recommended. Isn't much to do, but it applies only to the "kill bit".

In step one, WHATEVER the Tshoot.inf reinstalls (with it's
vulnerability) is never undone, until you take the next critical IE
update. I really don't know whether the kill bit is sufficient. It
certainly does kill those Help screens, though.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
March 15, 2005 8:32:09 PM

news:o xBMW4aKFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o ZnKOsXKFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> | see inline comments.
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | news:o LIhqNTKFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> | > Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
> | > Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.
> | >
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q188867
> | > Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
> | > link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
> | > Troubleshooters...
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
> | > That's it.
> | >

> | **
> | Problem - when I clicked on the networking link - the next screen said
> that
> | MS had removed that page.
> | ***
>
> It works for me. It resolves to...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsuppo...
> ...& the Troubleshooters are there!

**
Your link is a page with the LIST of troubleshooting pages.

Clicking on "I need help with networking" gives a page with the following
message at the top:

"The Requested Web Page is Not Available"
**

!