Any good non-64bit processors left?

Winterhart

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Hi all,
I'm looking to give my main computer a rather complete upgrade (it's a few years old, and is showing its age), but I'm trying my darndest to avoid a 64-bit processor -my reasons being I really don't trust the OS and application support available for it yet, and also that all the 64bit mobos seem to also require SATA and/or PCI-express (both of which are completely unnecessary, and while I'll also be replacing the video card, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my harddrive). Are there any good procs left out there which aren't 64 but which won't leave me obsolete in a couple of years?
This isn't by any means a gaming system, although I won't swear not to put WoW or NWN on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Winterhart

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
In a year or two software and driver support will cease and no more development.

All of the "64" bit processors on the market function and perform as a 32-bit processor anyway, 64-bit is just an extended mode for each processor line.

I run Linux pretty exclusively, so this is not a problem :) Good to know, though. I've heard (although I don't remember from where...) that running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor results in a performance decrease. Is that just an ugly rumor, or something which I should be concerned about?

Thank you!

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Current "64-bit" processors aren't true 64-bit processors. They're 32-bit processors with 64-bit extensions built onto them to run 64-bit code. There's no performance hit running in 32-bit mode but it does run 64-bit slower than a true 64-bit processor would.

Jack I thought the emulation of 32-bit software in a 64-bit XP was handled via Windows? Or does AMD have something at the processor level too which is why AMD CPUs do better in XP Pro x64 running 32-bit apps (games) than Pentium 4s which just tacked 64-bit extensions on later to keep up with AMD.

wasd

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Hi all,
I'm looking to give my main computer a rather complete upgrade (it's a few years old, and is showing its age), but I'm trying my darndest to avoid a 64-bit processor -my reasons being I really don't trust the OS and application support available for it yet, and also that all the 64bit mobos seem to also require SATA and/or PCI-express (both of which are completely unnecessary, and while I'll also be replacing the video card, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my harddrive). Are there any good procs left out there which aren't 64 but which won't leave me obsolete in a couple of years?
This isn't by any means a gaming system, although I won't swear not to put WoW or NWN on it.

correct me if i'm wrong here but i'm pretty sure that if a motherboard has SATA it'll still have IDE ports for older harddrives, also about pci-express yu can find cheap pci-express cards today that will run faster than agp based ones for around the same price because agp is an old technology so it's geting more expensive to buy agp products.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah but if you're not doing anything graphical in Linux you don't need a new PCI-Express card, an old AGP card is fine. It might be an old techonology but it doesn't suck. The 7800GS is a pretty damn good card able to play todays top games on high resolutions with eye candy. I still use a 6800GT AGP 8x. Oblivion runs fine at 1280x1024 with all sliders on max and medium textures(had them on high before and can't tell a difference now but get better performance).

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I run Linux pretty exclusively, so this is not a problem :) Good to know, though.

man, if you run linux mostly then you should get 64 bit. Once compiled to 64bit, most linux distros flat scream in 64bit vs. 32. I have personally seen gentoo perform better, and only assume others will too.

as for pci-e and sata. Most mobos do have pata (ide) connections for legacy drives so no worries there. almost all cdroms are ide only so they have to keep that connection format.

if you are buying a new video card, then like someone else said you can get a pci-e card cheaper that runs faster on pci-e than agp. And it gives you a better upgrade path, as manufacturers are phasing agp out slowly, like it or not. (nothin against 7800gs, but that may be the last one...)

Winterhart

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
man, if you run linux mostly then you should get 64 bit.

It sounds good on paper, but I'm not entirely sure that I trust the 64-bit version of my distro, though - Slamd64. I'll use Slack 'til the day I die, but the 64bit port is an unofficial one and it's individually supported...I've seen very, very mixed reviews about it.

I don't even know what I'm using now - Athlon XP 2100+, I think? - and 10.2 runs perfectly. And although I know that Cedega works fabulously on things like SUSE where it's got a nice packaged RPM, I've tried it on Slack before and been disappointed (to say the least). So, yeah...speed isn't quite my top issue. This is all motivated mostly from the fact that it's started to overheat regularly and my graphics card is dying, so I figure I should just bite it and replace everything at once.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
fair enough... i like slack as well but havent used it in a while. If you have something that works, and slack certainly does, then stay w/ it. :D

and ya, that is an older system so it would definitely do better to upgrade. I am running total 32 bit on mine right now and have no issues so fear not. ;)

enjoy what you get, rock on man.

Qwertyleo

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Hi all,

you can get mobos that suport agp and pcie, my Asrock Dualsata does for instance. IN addtion EIDE/ATA/IDE hasnt been phased out yet, boards stillc ome with them connections as standard

TRENDING THREADS