Recovering W98 from a virus

JJ

I'm pretty sure my Win 98 desktop has been infected w/ a virus. I got an
AU30.SETP error message and now I get Explorer caused an invalid page fault
module... and an error loading explorer.exe. I can't get the computer to boot
in safe mode. I did look at the win.ini file in DOS and nothing follows the
explorer.exe command.

Is there anyway to recover from this? I don't know if it's safe to refomat
the hard drive or not.

Any help is appreciated.

v/r

What is an AU30.SETP error message?? Please provide the complete exact error
message and when it occurred.
Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module "what"?
I have no idea what you were seeing in the win.ini file but certainly nothing to do
with an explorer.exe command. I am guessing you mean the SYSTEM.INI file, and the
line: shell=explorer.exe

What happens when you try to boot into Safe Mode? What are the exact errors and
messages?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

"JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm pretty sure my Win 98 desktop has been infected w/ a virus. I got an
> AU30.SETP error message and now I get Explorer caused an invalid page fault
> module... and an error loading explorer.exe. I can't get the computer to boot
> in safe mode. I did look at the win.ini file in DOS and nothing follows the
> explorer.exe command.
>
> Is there anyway to recover from this? I don't know if it's safe to refomat
> the hard drive or not.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> v/r

JJ

I apologize for the mis-information. The correct file name is AU30SETP.exe.
This all started after I installed Grokster...big mistake. I thought it was
spyware but I got this message from Grokster when I contacted them:

The AU30SETP.EXE file is something related to your soundcard and it
is not spyware. I would suggest running an anti-virus scan if that file
is behaving incorrectly as this might be a sign that it and other files
are infected with a virus.

Grokster

I don't have exact error message written down.

I just tried to start the computer in both normal and safe modes. In
normal, after the background loads and I enter my password, I get the
following dialog box:

Installl Microsoft DirectX 5.0
Can't find CD-ROM directory
Please select DirectX 5.0 setup path

When I click cancel, the following message appears:
Error loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall windows

I click ok and the machine shuts down

In safe mode nothing about Direct X comes up. It goes straight to the
explorer.exe message and after I click ok the machine shuts down.

You are correct, the file I looked at was the system.ini file and you named
the correct command line.

I don't receive the original page fault message anymore. It was:

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module explorer.exe.

Thank you for your help.

"glee" wrote:

> What is an AU30.SETP error message?? Please provide the complete exact error
> message and when it occurred.
> Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module "what"?
> I have no idea what you were seeing in the win.ini file but certainly nothing to do
> with an explorer.exe command. I am guessing you mean the SYSTEM.INI file, and the
> line: shell=explorer.exe
>
> What happens when you try to boot into Safe Mode? What are the exact errors and
> messages?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm pretty sure my Win 98 desktop has been infected w/ a virus. I got an
> > AU30.SETP error message and now I get Explorer caused an invalid page fault
> > module... and an error loading explorer.exe. I can't get the computer to boot
> > in safe mode. I did look at the win.ini file in DOS and nothing follows the
> > explorer.exe command.
> >
> > Is there anyway to recover from this? I don't know if it's safe to refomat
> > the hard drive or not.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > v/r

Yes, au30setp.exe is the tray icon application for your sound card driver.
The message you say you get trying to start in normal mode:
Install Microsoft DirectX 5.0
Can't find CD-ROM directory
Please select DirectX 5.0 setup path
sounds like a message that would be given by a sound card driver installation
program, if the CD for installing was not inserted in the drive during the driver
install. An audio driver setup app will look for at least directX 5.0 on the
computer, and if not found, it will silently install it from the audio driver
installation disc, if present. The problem is that Windows 98 already comes with at
least DirectX 5.0 or 6.0 installed, so there should be no reason for a setup routine
not to find it, unless the files have been lost somehow.

Re: you other error message, try the procedure here -
"Error Loading Explorer.exe" Error Message When You Attempt to Start Windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299313