Did AMD cancel the FX-59 single core at 3GHz?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I just looked at the new socket M2 processor list, and the fastest single core will be a 4000+ at 2.6Ghz. The fastest dual core will be the fx-62 at 2.8Ghz. I guess that means the fx-59 doesnt exist anymore. I can't believe they wouldn't release a processor that runs at 3Ghz for their new platform, when we know they very well could.

Hog wash AMD wouldn't do that they care about their user base.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I just looked at the new socket M2 processor list, and the fastest single core will be a 4000+ at 2.6Ghz. The fastest dual core will be the fx-62 at 2.8Ghz. I guess that means the fx-59 doesnt exist anymore. I can't believe they wouldn't release a processor that runs at 3Ghz for their new platform, when we know they very well could.

Hog wash AMD wouldn't do that they care about their user base.

And I shall repeat myself, Hector will screw the gamer for a buck:

Hector to Consumer: Screw you....we want commerical gowth

He knows where the money is, he know....
:)

Word.

RichPLS

Champion
Well, the FX-59 was to be a single core and a successor to the FX-57, the FX-60 was the first dual core and is at 2.6GHz.

I would imagine quite a few gamerz would benefit with 3GHz single core stock, that is if it had any overclocking potential left in it...
actually, that might be why they nixed it... to close to the point of instability to safely market it...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Maybe they want to keep the title of the fastest sub-3GHz processor on the market?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I'd like to know the same thing, but I cant find anything on the internet about it. In an article from July 25 of last year called "The Athlon 64 FX Overclocked to 3 GHz", the abstract says, "What can you expect when AMD launches the Athlon 64 FX-59 by the end of the year? We overclocked AMD's FX-57 to 3 GHz to see what you will get."

Well the end of the year has come and gone and I wondered what happened. I just guessed they decided to release the fx-60 and didnt bother with the 59. Maybe somebody else can clue us in.

If people can run a $129 boxed Optron 144 with stock cooler and volts @ 2.8 and do almost 3 Ghz with better air cooler and an extra 0.2/0.3 volts....why could those other people only get an FX-57 to 3 Ghz?

Anyhow AMD now has a contract to use Z-RAM for the cashe that will run faster and cooler (uses alot less power) in all newer cpu's that use it and no doubt it will be used in all platforms soon.

Myself I will never pay $300 or more for a cpu...at least not for another decade.