desktop display of .txt files

Todd

Hi, I just setup multiple identities in windows 98. Now in my identity (the
main one) some of the documents that were saved on the desktop are hidden.
These are text docs and I can open them by using explorer or word but can't
see them if viewing the desktop. How can I re-set windows 98 to view the
..txt files on the desktop?

Thanks,

Todd

HAGGIS

"Todd" <Todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I just setup multiple identities in windows 98. Now in my identity
> (the
> main one) some of the documents that were saved on the desktop are hidden.
> These are text docs and I can open them by using explorer or word but
> can't
> see them if viewing the desktop. How can I re-set windows 98 to view the
> .txt files on the desktop?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Todd

a couple of ways i guess....how about using explorer to go to
windows>desktop and select all files ...right clk and choose properties and
uncheck 'hidden'

another way is to use folder options and choose 'show hidden files'

Todd

Thanks, the folder options were already set to show hidden files. As far as
I know I never selected to hide anything. It is just that they were visble
before and now they are not.

Todd

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Todd" <Todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I just setup multiple identities in windows 98. Now in my identity
> > (the
> > main one) some of the documents that were saved on the desktop are hidden.
> > These are text docs and I can open them by using explorer or word but
> > can't
> > see them if viewing the desktop. How can I re-set windows 98 to view the
> > .txt files on the desktop?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Todd
>
> a couple of ways i guess....how about using explorer to go to
> windows>desktop and select all files ...right clk and choose properties and
> uncheck 'hidden'
>
> another way is to use folder options and choose 'show hidden files'

"Todd" <Todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks, the folder options were already set to show hidden files. As far as
>I know I never selected to hide anything. It is just that they were visble
>before and now they are not.

"Folder options set to show hidden files" is a Windows Explorer
option. Setting that option will cause the files to appear in Windows
Explorer even if they are hidden. It will not (I don't think) change
the fact that they will be hidden on the desktop.

If you want the files to appear on the desktop, I think you'll have to
make sure that their "hidden" attribute is not on.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

> Thanks, the folder options were already set to show hidden files. As far
> as
> I know I never selected to hide anything. It is just that they were
> visble
> before and now they are not.
>

> Todd
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>

>> "Todd" <Todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I just setup multiple identities in windows 98. Now in my
>> > identity
>> > (the
>> > main one) some of the documents that were saved on the desktop are
>> > hidden.
>> > These are text docs and I can open them by using explorer or word but
>> > can't
>> > see them if viewing the desktop. How can I re-set windows 98 to view
>> > the
>> > .txt files on the desktop?
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Todd
>>
>> a couple of ways i guess....how about using explorer to go to
>> windows>desktop and select all files ...right clk and choose properties
>> and
>> uncheck 'hidden'
>>
>> another way is to use folder options and choose 'show hidden files'

that is a bit odd ...did you check your windows>desktop folder to make sure
the shortcuts are 'really' there ? or are the actual files on the desktop

try turning on/off the active desktop