Best Printer for Occasional Use

Are there some models of printers that can clean the printheads better
than others? I have a Canon i350 and have used up almost all of my ink
in the process of cleaning the printheads and with wasted printouts
from clogged heads. I print about once a week and the air is dry in
the winter.

Is any inkjet better, or is it just the nature of them? Are higher DPI
printers more prone to clogging? Do any of them have the option to
just clean the black printhead?

TIA!
19 answers Last reply
More about best printer occasional

    Al wrote:

    >Are there some models of printers that can clean the printheads better
    >than others? I have a Canon i350 and have used up almost all of my ink
    >in the process of cleaning the printheads and with wasted printouts
    >from clogged heads. I print about once a week and the air is dry in
    >the winter.

    I've found HP seems to be among the best for short cleaning cycles and
    not clogging.

    I've had several HP inkjet models, and all of them have sat idle for
    extended periods, and the carts never clogged while in the printer. In
    fact, an HP printer I had sitting in a closet for a year was put back
    into service. After turning it on, it hummed and clicked for about 10
    seconds and promptly spit out a test page. It looked perfect and no
    clogs.

    I will point out that cartridges I stored outside of the printer in a
    cartridge holder, have clogged a bit when stored for extended periods.
    However a damp cloth fixed them up quickly enough.

    My fairly new HP Deskjet 6540 has sat idle for nearly three weeks at one
    point without any issues too. Turned it on and 10-15 seconds later, it
    printed perfectly. The cleaning cycles are a lot quicker than the old
    Canon i850 I had, that's for sure. And it seems to use a lot less ink in
    the process too. I took the i850 apart to check the waste ink area, and
    it was covered with ink...at least several ink tanks worth splattered
    all over the area.

    > Are higher DPI
    >printers more prone to clogging?

    I don't believe it's a major factor.

    > Do any of them have the option to
    >just clean the black printhead?

    If any of them can, it would be the models that can print safely without
    any colour carts installed. I know most, if not all, HP printers can
    print just black without colour installed, and since the printhead is
    integrated, it can't hurt anything by removing the colour cartridge
    because the printhead is removed also.

    I know the Canon i/P-series can damage their printheads if you remove
    any of the cartridges. There is a backwards design flaw in the ink level
    monitoring optical device that fails to properly check for installed
    cartridges - the printer merely assumes an ink tank is present and full
    if it can't detect a reflected signal in the bottom of the ink tank
    prisms.

    This design flaw means you could easily remove the colour ink tanks, and
    the printer will think they're still installed and try to print without
    any ink. Not a very safe system.

    As for Epson and Lexmark, I don't have much first-hand experience in
    their design and function, so I'll leave that to others in the group.

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:56:24 GMT, Al@nospam.net (Al) wrote:

    >Are there some models of printers that can clean the printheads better
    >than others? I have a Canon i350 and have used up almost all of my ink
    >in the process of cleaning the printheads and with wasted printouts
    >from clogged heads. I print about once a week and the air is dry in
    >the winter.
    >
    >Is any inkjet better, or is it just the nature of them? Are higher DPI
    >printers more prone to clogging? Do any of them have the option to
    >just clean the black printhead?

    This is something I am trying to pin down recently.

    I have had HPDJ printers since the 500c and apart from when I have let
    the cart run empty, can't remember them ever having trouble printing
    even after a prelonged idle period (like a month?).

    I am getting close to getting the Canon ip4000 but every time I hear
    stories of blocked print heads on Epson and Canon printers (unless you
    print something every day etc) I wonder if I'm doing the right thing?

    Even if they actually take the same time idle as HP's before 'clogging
    / blocking' at least with HP a new cart means a new (clean) printhead?

    I don't particularly want 'vibrant colours', wicked speeds or the
    ability to print CD's etc, just something that is there ready to
    print when I need it to without costing a fortune in inks (especially
    if they are wasted whilst 'cleaning' print heads? (but I do like
    colour and can't afford a laser).

    What to do ... <sigh>

    All the best ..

    "Al" <Al@nospam.net> wrote in message news:4203ee5f.2285065@news.mr.net...
    > Are there some models of printers that can clean the printheads better
    > than others? I have a Canon i350 and have used up almost all of my ink
    > in the process of cleaning the printheads and with wasted printouts
    > from clogged heads. I print about once a week and the air is dry in
    > the winter.
    >
    > Is any inkjet better, or is it just the nature of them? Are higher DPI
    > printers more prone to clogging? Do any of them have the option to
    > just clean the black printhead?
    >
    > TIA!

    You're probably better off with a HP inkjet if you only require occasional
    use, as the print heads are part of the ink cartridges and if it clogs
    through lack of use you just change the cartridges.

    I personally prefer Epson or Canon printers although they are more prone to
    clogging, but then I use a printer every day.

    Whatever you do forget Lexmark's or you'll be kicking yourself for ever
    after.

    If you want to print photos and business documents, even occasionally,
    get a Canon IP4000 when on sale for about $120. If you are sure that
    you never have the desire to print photo (maybe once in a while that are
    just snapshots) then for about $80 you can get a Canon IO3000. This is
    the same identical printer with the exception it is a 4 cart printer
    instead of 5. The extra cart is a dye based black used for photos to
    enhance contrast and make color inks last longer since black does not
    have to be mixed. The only other difference is the color of the case.

    If you never want to print photos and do not want any color then get a
    simple Brother, HP, Samsung, or Okidata mono laser printer. You can
    probably get a decent one for around $300.

    Al wrote:

    >Are there some models of printers that can clean the printheads better
    >than others? I have a Canon i350 and have used up almost all of my ink
    >in the process of cleaning the printheads and with wasted printouts
    >from clogged heads. I print about once a week and the air is dry in
    >the winter.
    >
    >Is any inkjet better, or is it just the nature of them? Are higher DPI
    >printers more prone to clogging? Do any of them have the option to
    >just clean the black printhead?
    >
    >TIA!

    I say the same thing. I have both an HP990Cse and a Canon. I have let
    my HP sit for 3 months with no problem. I like and prefer my Canon
    IP4000, about 6 months old better, especially for photos and I use the
    Canon about once every 2 weeks. Currently I have a need to fast draft
    quality and the HP does that well.

    Kaiser wrote:

    >"Al" <Al@nospam.net> wrote in message news:4203ee5f.2285065@news.mr.net...
    >

    >>Are there some models of printers that can clean the printheads better
    >>than others? I have a Canon i350 and have used up almost all of my ink
    >>in the process of cleaning the printheads and with wasted printouts
    >>from clogged heads. I print about once a week and the air is dry in
    >>the winter.
    >>
    >>Is any inkjet better, or is it just the nature of them? Are higher DPI
    >>printers more prone to clogging? Do any of them have the option to
    >>just clean the black printhead?
    >>
    >>TIA!
    >>

    >You're probably better off with a HP inkjet if you only require occasional
    >use, as the print heads are part of the ink cartridges and if it clogs
    >through lack of use you just change the cartridges.
    >
    >I personally prefer Epson or Canon printers although they are more prone to
    >clogging, but then I use a printer every day.
    >
    >Whatever you do forget Lexmark's or you'll be kicking yourself for ever
    >after.

    "Al" <Al@nospam.net> wrote in message news:4203ee5f.2285065@news.mr.net...
    > Are there some models of printers that can clean the printheads better
    > than others? I have a Canon i350 and have used up almost all of my ink
    > in the process of cleaning the printheads and with wasted printouts
    > from clogged heads. I print about once a week and the air is dry in
    > the winter.
    >
    > Is any inkjet better, or is it just the nature of them? Are higher DPI
    > printers more prone to clogging? Do any of them have the option to
    > just clean the black printhead?
    >
    > TIA!

    It is a very good plan to bite the bullet and set some time aside for
    preventative maintenance. Us spare empty cartridges and fill them with
    either one of the Pro cleaning - cum - cartridge flush solvents or use
    Windex (UK Windolene). Sprodaic use of these will flush out from within this
    tendency to clog. You may particularly nedd this if you live in a high temp
    part of the World where oxidation is the main culprit.
    You'll find a solvent flush solution as below... in the USA cart.
    Got the picture...Print it. JetTec perfect.
    http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:44:44 -0000, "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com>
    wrote:

    >It is a very good plan to bite the bullet and set some time aside for
    >preventative maintenance. Us spare empty cartridges and fill them with
    >either one of the Pro cleaning - cum - cartridge flush solvents or use
    >Windex (UK Windolene). Sprodaic use of these will flush out from within this
    >tendency to clog. You may particularly nedd this if you live in a high temp
    >part of the World where oxidation is the main culprit.
    >You'll find a solvent flush solution as below... in the USA cart.
    >Got the picture...Print it. JetTec perfect.
    >http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
    >http://www.inkylinkusa.com

    Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I have only seen these
    "cleaning" cartridges on a few ink sites, but it seems like a good
    idea.

    There seems to be a consensus that HP printers are less prone to
    clogging. I wonder what they're doing differently... but for the text
    printing I do they should be fine. Their printers used to be very
    sturdy, but I haven't hefted a recent model.

    One question about the HP's - will they let you keep printing when the
    cartridge gets low, or do they lock up on low ink? I've heard some
    woes about this.

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 04:37:17 GMT, Al@nospam.net (Al) wrote:

    >Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I have only seen these
    >"cleaning" cartridges on a few ink sites, but it seems like a good
    >idea.
    >
    >There seems to be a consensus that HP printers are less prone to
    >clogging. I wonder what they're doing differently...

    The print head is built into the cart so when you change the cart you
    get a new head / nozzles. So it never get's the chance to see any more
    ink / time than in there in the first place (less you refill that is).

    but for the text
    >printing I do they should be fine.

    I would say my (older) HP 840c prints a very respecatable picture,
    especially when on photo papers (some people I show the printout to
    think they *are* photos) ;-)

    Their printers used to be very
    >sturdy, but I haven't hefted a recent model.

    I can't speak of the newer model but this one is quite nicely made and
    has given very good servive over 3 years for a 25 gpb 'salvage' offer
    ;-)

    >One question about the HP's - will they let you keep printing when the
    >cartridge gets low, or do they lock up on low ink? I've heard some
    >woes about this.

    Mine will just keep printing with empty carts.

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m wrote:

    >Their printers used to be very
    >>sturdy, but I haven't hefted a recent model.
    >
    >I can't speak of the newer model but this one is quite nicely made

    I found the newer models vary in build quality as it seems to depend on
    the class of printer and price point.

    For instance, the smaller HP Deskjet 5740 is light and feels a bit
    flimsy, yet for $50 more the 6540 weighs twice as much and is built like
    a tank.

    I paid the extra $50 to get the better model, and I haven't been
    disappointed.

    >>One question about the HP's - will they let you keep printing when the
    >>cartridge gets low, or do they lock up on low ink? I've heard some
    >>woes about this.
    >
    >Mine will just keep printing with empty carts.

    I concur. All of the HP printers I've owned give a low ink warning so
    you can be prepared to switch cartridges. But they will continue to
    print until they run out of ink. They'll also continue to print if one
    of the cartridges is empty or removed.

    "Al" <Al@nospam.net> wrote in message news:42044c89.489370@news.mr.net...

    > One question about the HP's - will they let you keep printing when the
    > cartridge gets low, or do they lock up on low ink? I've heard some
    > woes about this.

    The models with integrated ink supply and printhead will allow you to keep
    printing past the low on ink warnings, even if the cartridge is empty. This
    includes all the HP DeskJet, Photosmart and PSC units. Units with separate
    printheads typically give warnings as the ink level gets low and then will stop
    printing if the cartridges run low enough. These include the Business Inkjet
    models as well as some of the all-in-one units.

    Regards,

    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:49:50 -0800, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
    wrote:

    >"Al" <Al@nospam.net> wrote in message news:42044c89.489370@news.mr.net...
    >
    >> One question about the HP's - will they let you keep printing when the
    >> cartridge gets low, or do they lock up on low ink? I've heard some
    >> woes about this.
    >
    >The models with integrated ink supply and printhead will allow you to keep
    >printing past the low on ink warnings,

    Warnings? (HPDJ 840c) ?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    wrote:

    >The models with integrated ink supply and printhead will allow you to keep
    >printing past the low on ink warnings, even if the cartridge is empty. This
    >includes all the HP DeskJet, Photosmart and PSC units. Units with separate
    >printheads typically give warnings as the ink level gets low and then will stop
    >printing if the cartridges run low enough. These include the Business Inkjet
    >models as well as some of the all-in-one units.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    Another quick question - the All-In-One printer/scanners cost just a
    few dollars more than a printer alone, and they use the same ink
    cartridges.

    Are they are as good as the printers (the specs give the same
    resolution), and is there any down side to them other than size? It
    would be nice to bypass the software just to make a photocopy.

    "Al" <Al@nospam.net> wrote in message news:42067459.612667@news.mr.net...

    > Another quick question - the All-In-One printer/scanners cost just a
    > few dollars more than a printer alone, and they use the same ink
    > cartridges.
    >
    > Are they are as good as the printers (the specs give the same
    > resolution), and is there any down side to them other than size? It
    > would be nice to bypass the software just to make a photocopy.

    The all-in-one units give comparable print quality and speed to the printer
    they are based on. Personally I prefer the AIO units; currently I use an
    Officejet 7410 at home and an Officejet 7310 at work. The AIO units are very
    convenient; it is easy to get spoiled with a quick desktop color copier.

    Regards,

    Al wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:49:50 -0800, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The models with integrated ink supply and printhead will allow you to keep
    >>printing past the low on ink warnings, even if the cartridge is empty. This
    >>includes all the HP DeskJet, Photosmart and PSC units. Units with separate
    >>printheads typically give warnings as the ink level gets low and then will stop
    >>printing if the cartridges run low enough. These include the Business Inkjet
    >>models as well as some of the all-in-one units.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
    >

    > Another quick question - the All-In-One printer/scanners cost just a
    > few dollars more than a printer alone, and they use the same ink
    > cartridges.
    >
    > Are they are as good as the printers (the specs give the same
    > resolution), and is there any down side to them other than size? It
    > would be nice to bypass the software just to make a photocopy.

    You just press the copy button on the all-in-one to make a copy. I think you can
    even scan directly to the memory card (if the all-in-one has a memory card
    slot), without running any PC software.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    > Al <Al@nospam.net> wrote:

    > Is any inkjet better, ...

    If I were in the market for a printer that would see
    long idle periods, I'd take a serious look at laser,
    esp. if color isn't a requirement. Even color laser
    printers are amazingly cheap these days.

    Dry toner just has to be less troublesome over time
    than anything present in liquid form in an opened
    package (even if "sealed" at a head parking station).

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:21:11 -0800, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
    wrote:

    >The all-in-one units give comparable print quality and speed to the printer
    >they are based on. Personally I prefer the AIO units; currently I use an
    >Officejet 7410 at home and an Officejet 7310 at work. The AIO units are very
    >convenient; it is easy to get spoiled with a quick desktop color copier.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    Thanks for the helpful information!

    One more quick question... is there a difference between "Thermal
    Inkjet" and printers called just plain inkjet?

    Al wrote:

    >One more quick question... is there a difference between "Thermal
    >Inkjet" and printers called just plain inkjet?

    Most inkjets use a thermal process of heating the tiny droplets of ink
    to fire them out of the nozzles at high speed. Think of bacon grease and
    how it splatters when heated. The two terms are interchangeable for this
    process.

    Epson uses a different process called piezo-electric which uses a
    crystal to literally squeeze the ink droplets out at high speed. Think
    of a bottle of water with a small spout and how it sprays when you
    squeeze it.
  18. I am looking for a black and white printer for occasional use
    Basically cant afford to pay fortune for ink and apparently If I get the "inkjet" I have to use it often to avoid wasting ink
    also wanting a scanner as well

    Wondered if I better off buying "All in one (printer-scanne-copy)" or just separately buying scanner and printer
  19. kaiser said:

    You're probably better off with a HP inkjet if you only require occasional
    use, as the print heads are part of the ink cartridges and if it clogs
    through lack of use you just change the cartridges.

    I personally prefer Epson or Canon printers although they are more prone to
    clogging, but then I use a printer every day.

    Whatever you do forget Lexmark's or you'll be kicking yourself for ever
    after.

    your wrong, many hp printers have fixed print heads and Lexmark make great laser printers.
    If you only want to print occasionly, forget any inkjet printer. You leave them unused for a month and you risk getting blocked nozzles as the ink will dry out. Laser printers can be unused for years and still fire up 100%.

Printers Canon Inkjet Peripherals